PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett - Top 5 Pick in Draft?

Texas Homer
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I think Yes.

Size, Strong arm, and not a statue in the pocket.

1st QB taken (imo).

San Diego Chicken
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
NOT a statue in the pocket?

Texas Homer
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM

I think he is mobile enough to not be considered a "Statue". I'm not saying that he is Vick, VY, or even Romo. I'm just saying he can move around a little and avoid pressure some.

BuddyCHRIST
01-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I use to say yes, but the more I watch him the more I sour. Mobility is completely overrated, one of the most important things a QB has to be able to do is shuffle his feet in the pocket and move around a step or two while keeping their eyes down field. Peyton and Brady are the kings of this, they step then reset their feet and throw. When Mallett gets pressured he really sucks at resetting and throwing.

wonderbredd24
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
He is unbelievably clunky navigating within the pocket and becomes off balance very easily

yo123
01-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Well I say yes because his tools are just too much to pass up and he's shown he can throw with touch, but he is absolutely a statue in the pocket. A Drew Bledsoe-like statue.

A Perfect Score
01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Ryan Mallett is the definition of a statue in the pocket.

And I wouldnt touch him within the first 15 picks, but maybe thats just me.

ChiFan24
01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm settling on Byron Leftwich as my comparison for him. Without the impeccable character, of course. Whenever I see him, he drops back, and fires the ball. Sometimes it's the most beautiful throw you'll ever see, sometimes it's not, but that's literally all he does. No eye manipulation or pump faking, he's pathetic when he's forced to move out of the pocket, makes horrible decisions because a lot of the time he doesn't seem to understand what the defense is doing to him, and by all accounts he's got character concerns. I don't think I'd take him in the first round.

BeerBaron
01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
It's a definite possibility, especially now with Luck staying in school.

He has the tools NFL quarterback developers will like to work with....not sure if the mental game is there. His reads right now consist of:

1.) Check Primary receiver - Is he wide freaking open? YES/NO

YES - Throw to him
NO - Check down

So...he might have some issues.

Texas Homer
01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
OK, maybe I'm wrong about the statue in the pocket thing, but I think that his size and arm will get him drafted in the top 5.

SRK85
01-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a top 5 pick IMO. Kind of a weak draft class for QBs.

DecisiveLeaf
01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
He's the next Kerry Collins. Exact copy.

BeerBaron
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a top 5 pick IMO. Kind of a weak draft class for QBs.

It's the most fluid position in the draft process because of how much it is dictated by need. The top QBs, even if they seem weak compared to other years, will still get pushed up into the elite level of picks based on team need. I think that 3 of Gabbert, Mallett, Newton and Locker will be top 10 picks and I think all will be first rounders. There are just too many teams with major need at QB for it not to happen.

FUNBUNCHER
01-14-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm settling on Byron Leftwich as my comparison for him. Without the impeccable character, of course. Whenever I see him, he drops back, and fires the ball. Sometimes it's the most beautiful throw you'll ever see, sometimes it's not, but that's literally all he does. No eye manipulation or pump faking, he's pathetic when he's forced to move out of the pocket, makes horrible decisions because a lot of the time he doesn't seem to understand what the defense is doing to him, and by all accounts he's got character concerns. I don't think I'd take him in the first round.

Leftwich with that looping windup of a throw???
Nope.
Mallett has a much more compact, quick release.

Mallett has possibly one of the strongest arms in the game when he gets to the pros, and he IS mobile, but his pocket presence is awful.
He's slow to feel the rush and at times can hold the ball too long thinking(falsely) that he can scramble out of pressure.

When I look at a QB like Tom Brady, who also has limited mobility, but has great footwork/pocket presence and rarely gets sacked, IMO I think if Mallett is given a top-rate QB coach he can learn how to work his way around in the pocket and not think he can run away from trouble like Aaron Rodgers or shake off tacklers like Big Ben.

I look at guys like Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning, and think if they can be successful as less than mobile NFL QBs, Mallett has it in him to do the same.

Mallett is not a stiff, but he's also only functionally athletic for a 6'6 QB, and anyone can see he will eventually become less mobile the longer he's in the NFL.

Still think he would be the perfect fit for Arizona.

If the pernicious rumor that Mallett may enjoy partaking in powdery substances on the weekends continues to dog him, I don't think any team takes him in the top 5.

If Mallett does well in interviews and teams feel after doing a thorough background check on the guy that he's clean and not a user, it's possible he ends up the first QB taken, just not the first player drafted overall.

I still say he's gonna be the closest thing NFL fans have ever seen to Dan Marino, who also fell to the end of the first round in '83 based in part to rumors of drug use and bad knees.

IMO he's simply too talented not to be picked in the 1st round.
No pure pocket passer has put up the numbers Mallett has in the SEC.
Mallett has flaws, but he's still a special QB talent.

A Perfect Score
01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Why would Arizona draft Ryan Mallett? They already have him on the roster. His name is Derek Anderson.

FUNBUNCHER
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Why would Arizona draft Ryan Mallett? They already have him on the roster. His name is Derek Anderson.

People love to rip on Mallett by comparing him to bums.
Derek Anderson struggled to hit 54% of his passes in his best season at Oregon State, and he averaged 18 picks a year as a three year starter.

That's not Mallett.

Mallett may be inconsistent and prone to making poor decisions in crunch time, but he's in a different class as an NFL prospect compared to Anderson coming out of Oregon State.
Both are vaguely similar physically, after that the comparison falls apart.

JaxJag_1
01-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Why can't people see that he's the next QB bust in the NFL is beyond me. It's painfully obvious.

FUNBUNCHER
01-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Why can't people see that he's the next QB bust in the NFL is beyond me. It's painfully obvious.

Hard-hitting, in depth analysis, oh divine swami!!

ElectricEye
01-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Not a fan at all. His issues with accuracy run pretty deep and his footwork is pretty bad. Very clunky quarterback, which is expected for a guy as big as he is. The thing that really hurts him though is his character concerns. Really not the type of guy I would want to hand the keys to an NFL franchise.

RealityCheck
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
First QB taken? Yes. Top 5 guy? Not sure. Will be going #7 or #8 to SF or Tennessee IMO.

Why would Arizona draft Ryan Mallett? They already have two of him on the roster. Their names are Derek Anderson and John Skelton.

Fixed that.

Sloopy
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Without Luck in this draft, I don't really see any worthy day one starters (not that some wont).

Having said that, with the demand for quarterback this year it would not shock me to see a team talk themselves into taking a signal caller in the top 5 picks and certainly 2-3 within the top 10. Without a clear cut #1 QB it really comes down to preference so yes Mallet could be picked in the top 5

PossibleCabbage
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
While I certainly *hope* that Ryan Mallet is a top 5 pick, since my team is not picking in the top 5, I can't see it happening.

It's not so much that he's immobile, lots of QBs are immobile, the real problem is that his footwork is a mess. He's so tall, and so unathletic that he really struggles to reset his feet when he's turning to throw to someone other than his primary read, let alone when he has to move in the pocket due to pressure. When he doesn't reset his feet, his accuracy suffers a lot. I'm not sure how correctable this is.

Moreover, Petrino's offense worries me. I think a lot of it gets down with smoke and mirrors and doesn't translate at all. Remember how we were all convinced once upon a time that Brian Brohm was worthy of a high first round pick? He gets drafted to be a backup by a team with a good QB coach, and he's out the door in 2 years.

Add in the concerns about his character, I don't know whether or not they're true, but they still worry me, and I would honestly put Mallet as the #4 QB in this draft. So if he does go in the top 5, that would please me greatly since my team also doesn't want a QB. Can't see four QBs going in the top 5 though.

nepg
01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I think 3 QBs go in the Top 5, and Mallett's certainly among them. He's been getting overly analyzed all year.

SenorGato
01-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I think all the QBs in this draft are getting underrated due to the very subtle not being Andrew Luck knock.

I'm not going to say either guy is a top 5 pick, but both Mallett and Locker are underrated as heck right now. Mallett's a better passer than he's given credit for, is better on his feet than he's given credit for, but he's not fast. To put it lightly, he's really slow. Locker's got to show that he's not too beaten up both mentally and physically after his roller coaster college career. Gabbert's got potential...he's like Luck-really lite. I like him, but right now I think he's the guy we're banging because Luck left.

One of them has to be the guy who makes this more than the draft Andrew Luck chose to sit out. I'd put my money on Mallett between the 3...for now. Also, I've very glad the Jets drafted Sanchez.

Prowler
01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
The over/under on his wonderlic result right now is probably 11...he's got all the other tools though.

JaxJag_1
01-14-2011, 11:41 PM
The over/under on his wonderlic result right now is probably 11...he's got all the other tools though.

Right.. He's not intelligent, he's immature, has issues harnessing his emotion, he's inaccurate, a literal statue in the pocket, can't elude a rush, forces balls into coverage, can't throw on the run, he throws picks in crucial moments, and when he's pressured he looks like a high school QB.... but he has all the tools?

He's 6'6" with a rocket arm. There is nothing else there folks.

Scott Wright
01-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I would say highly unlikely. In fact, I think Mallett could drop much further than most believe.

TACKLE
01-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I would say highly unlikely. In fact, I think Mallett could drop much further than most believe.

It's still January so obviously a lot can change, but I'm starting to get the impression that of the top QB's, he's the one one who's going to tumble on draft day. It's like with Clausen last year (albeit with different concerns), if a team doesn't believe he can be their franchise QB, they CANNOT take him in the first two rounds. It's as simple as that.

Scott Wright
01-15-2011, 12:11 AM
It's still January so obviously a lot can change, but I'm starting to get the impression that of the top QB's, he's the one one who's going to tumble on draft day. It's like with Clausen last year (albeit with different concerns), if a team doesn't believe he can be their franchise QB, they CANNOT take him in the first two rounds. It's as simple as that.

I don't want to assassinate anyone's character, but if the rumors out there about Mallett are true I have a hard time seeing someone taking him in the top half of round one and maybe not in round one at all. I think JaMarcus Russell is still fresh in most teams minds and they learned that it doesn't matter how big a guy is or how strong an arm they have if the intangibles aren't there.

TACKLE
01-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't want to assassinate anyone's character, but if the rumors out there about Mallett are true I have a hard time seeing someone taking him in the top half of round one and maybe not in round one at all. I think JaMarcus Russell is still fresh in most teams minds and they learned that it doesn't matter how big a guy is or how strong an arm they have if the intangibles aren't there.

I too wouldn't be shocked to see him slip out of the first. Though I think the concerns with Jamarcus and Mallett are a bit different. Jamarcus was lazy and unmotivated whereas I think Mallett's questions about intangibles revolve more around his composure on the field and some question marks off of it. Reiterating what I was saying before, if you're taking a QB early, you have to be comfortable that this guy can lead your franchise. Not sure how many teams will be comfortable with him. Just speculation as of now though. His interviews with teams will be HUGE for his stock.

ellsy82
01-15-2011, 12:42 AM

The Wonderlic is B.S. There's not a way in hell you can judge a college QB transitioning into a a pro team what he'll be able to do. If anything, you need to look at one stat. Passing percentage. If its 58% or higher, he might have a shot. If not, he definitely doesn't. That's a stat you wanna look at, not some stupid ***** test.

DecisiveLeaf
01-15-2011, 03:53 AM
You can mark the Titans off the list. They will not go for someone with character issues, even in the slightest. Same goes for Cam Newton.

Scott Wright
01-15-2011, 04:11 AM
If anything, you need to look at one stat. Passing percentage. If its 58% or higher, he might have a shot. If not, he definitely doesn't. That's a stat you wanna look at, not some stupid ***** test.

I could not disagree more. That definitely might have been true at one time, but in the day and age of spread offenses college completion percentages mean very little. Times are changing.

Saints-Tigers
01-15-2011, 06:32 AM
I heard some coke rumors about Mallett as well, but idk how legit that is, so it's really not important to me.

FUNBUNCHER
01-15-2011, 07:47 AM
You can mark the Titans off the list. They will not go for someone with character issues, even in the slightest. Same goes for Cam Newton.

Albert Haynesworth says would you like his autograph??

IMO people are assuming the worst about Mallett. What if no NFL team finds any truth behind the off-the-field questions and he's considered a solid guy in the lockerroom??

RealityCheck
01-15-2011, 08:06 AM
I don't think Mallett's character issues are big enough to be a problem.

Prowler
01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
The Wonderlic is B.S. There's not a way in hell you can judge a college QB transitioning into a a pro team what he'll be able to do. If anything, you need to look at one stat. Passing percentage. If its 58% or higher, he might have a shot. If not, he definitely doesn't. That's a stat you wanna look at, not some stupid ***** test.

it was just my nice way of saying that Mallett is an absolute moron.

Scott Wright
01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I heard some coke rumors about Mallett as well, but idk how legit that is, so it's really not important to me.

I promise you, if true, NFL teams won't be nearly as casual or forgiving about it.

ElectricEye
01-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I could not disagree more. That definitely might have been true at one time, but in the day and age of spread offenses college completion percentages mean very little. Times are changing.

Tougher than ever to evaluate quarterbacks these days, that's for sure. You really have to go by your eyes now and dissect everything.

descendency
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM

If he can develop feet and pocket presence like an elite QB, it won't be a problem.

I think any team that takes him in the top 5 is willingly taking on a Ryan Leaf type risk. Everything I've heard or seen points to him being a drug addict with a jerkish personality. I know everyone is going to deny it, but putting him on a bad team his first years and watch him explode could kill a team for years.

descendency
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Are the rumors you are hearing about his personality, his work ethic, or his 'addiction' problem?

FUNBUNCHER
01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't think anyone is speculating that Mallett has an 'addiction' problem, but even if he were a recreational user, that's going to scare some teams.

I hate even talking about this because it's not like Mallett was busted with an 8-ball or tested positive at Michigan or Arkansas( that I know of).

As far as I know, this is a rumor that has more in common with slander than actual fact.
No one can tie it to anything specific AT ALL.

Babylon
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM

You've always been a little hesitant on Mallett, it's like you know something we dont know. Feel free to share.

Prowler
01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Have to be careful to not be slanderous/libel or whatever an internet forum qualifies as. The story goes that when he was arrested for public intox, he tried going into a club when he was only 20. The guards alerted the police. The officer determined he was drunk, but was going to let him call a friend to pick him up. However, Mallett was so messed up(stoned and drunk)/(or uncooperative depending on the story) that he couldn't even dial one. They decided to go ahead with the arrest.

Basically there are a few theories and takes on him, ranging from heavier drug use to choir boy. Long story short, the dude is immature. There has been zero document instances of anything other than just him being drunk. The rest is speculation and would be irresponsible to 'report' about. Hogville is where I googled the info about public intox.

Saints-Tigers
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I promise you, if true, NFL teams won't be nearly as casual or forgiving about it.

Oh no doubt, but I'm not quick to judge people based on rumors, but if it were true, there is no way I'm touching him if I'm a GM, not even in the second.

jrdrylie
01-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I think 3 QBs go in the Top 5, and Mallett's certainly among them. He's been getting overly analyzed all year.

3 in the top 5? Denver and Carolina won't be selecting a QB, so you think Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Arizona will all pick a QB? I seriously doubt that. I don't think any QBs go in the top 5 and I don't think 3 even go in round one. My guess is two go in round one (and Mallet isn't one of them).

Babylon
01-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Have to be careful to not be slanderous/libel or whatever an internet forum qualifies as. The story goes that when he was arrested for public intox, he tried going into a club when he was only 20. The guards alerted the police. The officer determined he was drunk, but was going to let him call a friend to pick him up. However, Mallett was so messed up(stoned and drunk)/(or uncooperative depending on the story) that he couldn't even dial one. They decided to go ahead with the arrest.

Basically there are a few theories and takes on him, ranging from heavier drug use to choir boy. Long story short, the dude is immature. There has been zero document instances of anything other than just him being drunk. The rest is speculation and would be irresponsible to 'report' about. Hogville is where I googled the info about public intox.

I dont think he sticks out as a sore thumb in the character debate because others have skeletons too. In the end he probably lands where he should.

TuckNole
01-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I am constantly perplexed at how slow Mallet's drop back is. Or am I just seeing things?

Pat Sims 90
01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Reminds me too much of D Anderson. I would not touch him in the 1st 15 picks.

JaxJag_1
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I am constantly perplexed at how slow Mallet's drop back is. Or am I just seeing things?

No, you are exactly right.

FuzzyGopher
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM

He does seem to have slow/heavy footwork but I think a lot of it has to do with him having a incredibly strong arm. He is kind of like Brett Favre in a way that he can use his arm to make up for any deficiencies in his footwork and he throws of his back foot and across his body. He also likes to throw passes into incredibly small windows when he probably shouldn't and this leads to interceptions. He is a great physical talent that with the right coaching could probably be a pretty good quarterback, but right now he basically just relies on having a strong arm and padding his stats by playing in a qb friendly offense.

DecisiveLeaf
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Albert Haynesworth says would you like his autograph??

IMO people are assuming the worst about Mallett. What if no NFL team finds any truth behind the off-the-field questions and he's considered a solid guy in the lockerroom??

And Pacman Jones. And Vince Young. Obviously they've drafted poor characters in the past. That is exactly why they won't draft another one. They just released the starting QB for "character" issues, how would they justify taking someone who has even more issues?

bucfan12
01-15-2011, 02:57 PM
People forget about the fact he has one of the worst personalities and some compare him to Ryan Leaf. Huge talent but bad character and poor leadership qualities. Thinks he's just above everyone else. He seems a bit cocky because he can 'out gun' anyone with his arm strength.

I think he is your perfect definition of a bust but some team will fall all over his arm strength. Too bad the Raiders don't have a 1st round pick because Al Davis loves QBs with big arms, it outweighs every other ability.

With teams like the Panthers, Bills, Cardinals, 49ers, Vikings, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Redskins all searching for long term answers at QB, it would not surprise me at all to see mallett, Newton, Locker, and Gabbert (in no order) all selected in the top 20.

nepg
01-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I think they almost definitely all go within the Top 20. Locker, Mallet, and Newton in the Top 5 and Gabbert to one of the other teams (Vikings?) slightly later.

Babylon
01-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I think they almost definitely all go within the Top 20. Locker, Mallet, and Newton in the Top 5 and Gabbert to one of the other teams (Vikings?) slightly later.

I think the earliest the QBs will start coming off the board will be #5 to Arizona and then it could be a run with Tennessee, Washington and Minnesota getting involved.

BlindSite
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I think Mallett is the behind Locker, Gabbert and Newton right now, reason being both his strong arm, lack of mobility and general attitude paint a difficult prospect.

QBs with strong arms don't read the game as well as those with weaker arms. It's partly why Cutler threw a lot of picks the last few years whereas a guy like Pennington had one of the better TD:INT and completion ratings over his starting career.

Weaker armed QBs can't rely on a 100mph short pass getting into a closing window like the laser armed guys can. They had to anticipate a receiver coming open, they have to make more pre-snap reads, find where the match up issues are and throw before a receiver is coming open to get that link.

A guy with a big arm, usually can wait till someone is wide open and wing the pass in hard and fast. It leads to jumped routes and turnovers in the pro's because the defensive backs are so much faster and better at reading a quarterback.

Take Mallett who's going to stand in the pocket till someone's open and isn't going to be able to buy time, read a defense as well and then get pissed off with everyone around him and you've got someone you don't want starting from day one.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mallett down the track, I think he could be a very good pro quarterback in the mold of someone like Bledsoe or Trent Green, he'll need time to develop though.

PossibleCabbage
01-15-2011, 06:40 PM
QBs with strong arms don't read the game as well as those with weaker arms. It's partly why Cutler threw a lot of picks the last few years whereas a guy like Pennington had one of the better TD:INT and completion ratings over his starting career.

I don't know if I really agree that a strong arm is a detriment, since it helps your team to be able to throw deep outdoors in weather. What I think, however, is that super-accurate passers without immense arm strength more frequently develop into elite quarterbacks as their arms get stronger than cannon-armed passers develop into elite quarterbacks as they learn to throw accurately. Moreover, the floor for a big-armed QB with questionable accuracy is "essentially useless" while the floor for an accurate QB without the ability to throw deep is somewhere around "dirty starter."

Regardless, I'd rather draft a guy for his accuracy and his ability to see the field than for his cannon.

Morton
01-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Drew Bledsoe 2.0

Some team will be willing to take a chance on him in the top 15, for sure. Top 5? I don't know. But definitely Top 15.

JaxJag_1
01-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Drew Bledsoe 2.0

Some team will be willing to take a chance on him in the top 15, for sure. Top 5? I don't know. But definitely Top 15.

Drew Bledsoe >> Mallett

nepg
01-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Drew Bledsoe 2.0

Ya, I don't think too many teams would pass up the chance to draft Drew Bledsoe.

WCH
01-16-2011, 02:04 AM
He does seem to have slow/heavy footwork but I think a lot of it has to do with him having a incredibly strong arm. He is kind of like Brett Favre in a way that he can use his arm to make up for any deficiencies in his footwork and he throws of his back foot and across his body. He also likes to throw passes into incredibly small windows when he probably shouldn't and this leads to interceptions. He is a great physical talent that with the right coaching could probably be a pretty good quarterback, but right now he basically just relies on having a strong arm and padding his stats by playing in a qb friendly offense.

I'm actually fairly high on Mallett, but to say that he's kind of like Brett Favre????

With all due respect, do you remember Favre in his mid 20's? He was one of the more mobile QB's in the game, he had a JaMarcus Russell type arm, and when he was even remotely sober, he could read a defense like mathematicians read "Intro to Calculus" books.

I really do get what you're saying, but I think that you may be forgetting 25 year old Brett Favre, and instead remember 40 year old Brett Favre.

TheMorningZoo
01-16-2011, 02:20 AM
I am kind of torn on Mallett. I of course like most feel he is a definite Boom/Bust prospect, but he does show up in games and had a solid year. Yeah I know Petrino's Offense is QB friendly and with the way things are shaping up Mallett could look to be another Brian Brohm. I do think he will go top 15 however.

And for all the " Drew Bledsoe " remarks, that shouldn't be thrown around like it is a bad thing. Bledsoe was a pretty solid Quarterback in his day-nothing flashy but was a productive starter and had a good career.

JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf are the Busts, Bledsoe is the Boom!

FUNBUNCHER
01-16-2011, 02:30 AM
I am kind of torn on Mallett. I of course like most feel he is a definite Boom/Bust prospect, but he does show up in games and had a solid year. Yeah I know Petrino's Offense is QB friendly and with the way things are shaping up Mallett could look to be another Brian Brohm. I do think he will go top 15 however.

And for all the " Drew Bledsoe " remarks, that shouldn't be thrown around like it is a bad thing. Bledsoe was a pretty solid Quarterback in his day-nothing flashy but was a productive starter and had a good career.

JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf are the Busts, Bledsoe is the Boom!

Bledsoe had some monster years for the Pats early in his career, and did lead them to a SB under Parcells.

I agree that some have made the Bledsoe comparison as a slight against Mallett, but truthfully it's not a bad one.

Scott Wright
01-16-2011, 02:46 AM
The Bledsoe comparison (minus character concerns) works when Mallett is at his best.

The JaMarcus Russell / Derek Anderson comparisons are apt at times as well.

FuzzyGopher
01-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm actually fairly high on Mallett, but to say that he's kind of like Brett Favre????

With all due respect, do you remember Favre in his mid 20's? He was one of the more mobile QB's in the game, he had a JaMarcus Russell type arm, and when he was even remotely sober, he could read a defense like mathematicians read "Intro to Calculus" books.

I really do get what you're saying, but I think that you may be forgetting 25 year old Brett Favre, and instead remember 40 year old Brett Favre.

The only comparison between Mallet and Favre that I made was that they both get sloppy with their footwork and have a gunslinger mentality. They use their strong arms to get away with poor footwork. The similarities pretty much end there, I wasn't trying to say he would be like Favre at the next level or anything.

footballfan098
01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Absolutely not. Based on how poorly he handles late game situations, questionable work ethic, and character. Add in his lazy footwork which causes his accuracy to be inconsistent.

JaxJag_1
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
I've said it before, but I wouldn't touch Ryan Mallett until Round 4 at the earliest. Quite honestly, I liked John Skelton more last year than I like Mallett this year.

yo123
01-17-2011, 04:07 AM
People who don't at least acknowledge Mallet's unbelievable upside didn't watch his bowl game. He made some absolutely ridiculous throws that 95% of NFL QB's that have ever played couldn'/can't make. I will accept that his floor is Ryan Leaf-esque. Whether you want to take that risk in the top 5 is up to you, I personally would.