PDA

View Full Version : The Middle Linebacker Class

JustDezIT
01-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Best Middle linebackers coming out this year? Whether it be 4-3 or 3-4?

I think next year is the year to draft a MLB. Burflict, Te'o, Hightower, Carder, Kuechly.

Anyway, I think the MLB that sticks out the most to me this year is Martez Wilson. Who is it for you guys?

thegreatone
01-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Mario Harvey. I think a couple years down the road people will wonder why he didn't go in the first 2 or maybe even 3 rounds.

BeerBaron
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Mario Harvey. I think a couple years down the road people will wonder why he didn't go in the first 2 or maybe even 3 rounds.

I think Harvey could be a hell of a 3-4 ILB. He's stocky and very tough. I think he can blitz and mix it up with linemen pretty easily.

That said, he's not especially athletic and people will see his height as a negative. But in the 5th/6th round to a 3-4 team, he could be a steal.

DBNYDP
01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Martez Wilson?

JustDezIT
01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Martez Wilson?

Yeah, dunno why I put Williams.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I've watched Martez since he was a freshman and I can honestly sit here and say I have no idea what to make of him.

I think he should have stayed one more season to develop.

The ceiling is through the roof, but the floor is pretty low as well.

I'd like to see him play OLB in a 34.

San Diego Chicken
01-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm a big Nate Irving fan, he's been mentioned here before. Strong character guy who plays with so much heart and fire on the field. Not an elite prospect by any means but just a good, good player.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
01-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Alex Wujiack middle linebacker from Maryland is very good. Playmaker.6'3 245 4.7/40 averaged 130 tackles a season 3 INT. He will be a round 6 pick,because he is mostly a 2 down linebacker in the NFL. HIS team mate at THE U of Maryland was Adrian Moten, while he played sam backer at 6'2 230 runs a 4.6/40 and I feel could be a playmaker middle linebacker in the big league. Should be a round 6-7 guy. He averaged 70 tackles a season, 8 tfl and 5 sacks a season.

thegreatone
01-15-2011, 08:26 AM
I think Harvey could be a hell of a 3-4 ILB. He's stocky and very tough. I think he can blitz and mix it up with linemen pretty easily.

That said, he's not especially athletic and people will see his height as a negative. But in the 5th/6th round to a 3-4 team, he could be a steal.
I think he'll go a little higher than the 5th round.

Matthew Jones
01-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Inside linebacker is a position I probably haven't paid enough attention to so far this year, but hopefully I'll be able to watch some more games and finish out my rankings. Just based off of light scouting, here's what I have:

INSIDE LINEBACKER (4-3)

1. Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina

2. Kelvin Sheppard, Louisiana St.

3. Greg Jones, Michigan St.

4. Casey Matthews, Oregon

5. Mason Foster, Washington

INSIDE LINEBACKER (3-4)

1. Akeem Ayers, UCLA*

2. Martrez Wilson, Illinois*

3. Mark Herzlich, Boston College

4. Kelvin Sheppard, Louisiana St.

5. Mason Foster, Washington

FUNBUNCHER
01-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Alex Wujiack middle linebacker from Maryland is very good. Playmaker.6'3 245 4.7/40 averaged 130 tackles a season 3 INT. He will be a round 6 pick,because he is mostly a 2 down linebacker in the NFL. HIS team mate at THE U of Maryland was Adrian Moten, while he played sam backer at 6'2 230 runs a 4.6/40 and I feel could be a playmaker middle linebacker in the big league. Should be a round 6-7 guy. He averaged 70 tackles a season, 8 tfl and 5 sacks a season.

Don't do that. It looks kinda desperate!lol

Wujiak from the neck up is a 1st/2nd pick at mike IMO, but I have real questions about his athleticism and the health of his knees.
He's the type of guy who goes in the 6th-7th round and will still make a team's final 53.

Moten is the guy who probably has the best upside between the two and could have an Eric Barton type career in the pros.

lowlife
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Don't do that. It looks kinda desperate!lol

Wujiak from the neck up is a 1st/2nd pick at mike IMO, but I have real questions about his athleticism and the health of his knees.
He's the type of guy who goes in the 6th-7th round and will still make a team's final 53.

Moten is the guy who probably has the best upside between the two and could have an Eric Barton type career in the pros.

Holy **** your avatar just made my life.

Back on subject... Where are the great coverage backers? Tampa Bay needs a replacement for soft-as-pudding Ruud... one that can drop into the deep middle and play well in space.

From what I've seen of Herzlich, he drops well and holds his own on the move. Then again, I haven't seen much of him.

JaxJag_1
01-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Casey Matthews

Babylon
01-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Mason Foster hands down the best linebacker available for the draft. If he plays at Auburn or Alabama he goes in the top 20.

DBNYDP
01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm a huge fan of Martez and Kelvin.
Martez is a physical freak, who plays on his instincts, but on the other hand that can be a bad thing because he is often in bad position and just not disciplined enough.
Kelvin isn't a physical freak (by no means is he bad though), I think he matches up favorably to Brandon Spikes. Great leader, and also great instincts.

jrdrylie
01-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Mason Foster hands down the best linebacker available for the draft. If he plays at Auburn or Alabama he goes in the top 20.

Foster is really good. I think he can go first round this year. A guy I like is Bruce Miller from UCF. He was a great play maker at DE with 35.5 career sacks and even a few pick-sixes. But he will be moving to LB in the NFL. He isn't a great athlete, but he has a great motor. I think he could be a late round steal for a 3-4 team, kind of like Brandon Siler.

SenorGato
01-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Not really an impressive group here...there's talent obviously, but I'm just meh on the group overall.

I think Bruce Carter can be an absolutely awesome 3-4 ILB.

Pat Sims 90
01-15-2011, 01:35 PM
I really like Nate Irving as a 4-3 MLB

keylime_5
01-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I can't help but think Casey Matthews is gonna be a 10 year starter at middle linebacker for some team. That family is just a football player factory. Kid was great against Auburn.

FUNBUNCHER
01-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Martez Wilson is one of the most physically impressive athletes this year at the LB position.

6'4, 250# and he almost looks thin!! If he can run well at the combine/Illini Pro Day, I see a guy who can play inside or outside.

I've only see parts of Illini games this year, can Wilson rush the passer??

Cicero
01-15-2011, 02:17 PM

People have Casey Matthews rated ahead of him? Really? Foster blows Matthews out of the water on the field in pretty much every aspect. I think Matthews has become pretty overrated because of his name.

Babylon
01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
People have Casey Matthews rated ahead of him? Really? Foster blows Matthews out of the water on the field in pretty much every aspect. I think Matthews has become pretty overrated because of his name.

Agree. I wouldnt bet any of the house money that Matthews wont make it because he's probably a late bloomer like Clay but seriously Mason should be a much higher rated player.

ElectricEye
01-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Mason Foster has a chance to get into the first round mix with a good showing in Mobile. Casey Matthews is a nice player, but Foster is a stud.

marks01234
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Not really an impressive group here...there's talent obviously, but I'm just meh on the group overall.

I think Bruce Carter can be an absolutely awesome 3-4 ILB.

eh - I disagree.

Carter's hype is based on his athleticism and the expectation that he will blow up at the combine. He is fast but prior to the last few games of this year, he was pretty average on the football field.

I think he's poor fit for the 3-4. He has struggled to get off blocks in college and isn't going to bring that physical prescene you need inside. He also doesn't look much more than 230.

Day One Pick
01-16-2011, 02:22 PM
A healthy Josh Bynes is as good as any LB in this class.

phlysac
01-18-2011, 09:13 AM
An unheralded ILB that I really like (although he won't come out this year) is UConn RS Sophomore Sio Moore.

I think he can really make a name for himself next season.