PDA

View Full Version : UFO/Alien Thread

Draft King
01-15-2011, 10:32 PM
To start off, I do realize UFO's and aliens are not exactly the same thing. I'm too lazy and depressed to add actual links and photos right now, but I will later. What are your thoughts on the existence of aliens, and the possibilities of UFOs actually being seen here on Earth. The way I see it essentially is, there are billions upon billions of galaxies, let alone the universes which contain billions of planets. Not one other of those places can sustain life?

Crickett
01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Please remember, there is a big difference between life, multi-cellular life and INTELLIGENT life. As far as I know, for most of the history of life on our planet, the name of the game was "single celled".

I do think aliens either exist now somewhere in the cosmos or have existed in the past at some point. I do not think they travel at warp speed and I don't think they've ever been here.

Edit: And just for the heck of it, I'm going to provide a link to the wiki article on the drake equation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Dr. Gonzo
01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
I read a pretty cool theory on abductions. I read a book by a doctor who did extensive studies on Dimethyltryptamine, a banned substance but found in the pineal gland. There are massive quantities of DMT released into the brain when we are born a die, as well as when we dream. He theorizes that people experiencing abductions are just hallucinating after having mass amounts of DMT released in their brain (it happens from time to time, stress can be a trigger among other things). He makes a very compelling argument, drawing on what people experienced on the drug for the most part (one of the most common themes was being transported into a different reality and meeting aliens who attempt to show people how reality exists).

This is not to say I don't believe in aliens. They are out there. Considering how long the universe has been around I have to think creatures somewhere have mastered long distance time travel. Not that it really pertains to aliens but I highly recommend Physics of the Impossible for those interested in theories on space travel and other cool stuff like that. It is very accessible and a fun read.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-15-2011, 11:37 PM
There are definitely aliens. Has to be. A quote from Richard Dawkins, or at least a paraphrase, "If we conservatively put the odds of life originating on a planet at one in a billion, and that's an extremely conservative estimate, there would still be life on one billion planets." Recent research developments make it seem like that number is in fact much, much higher than one billion. Is it intelligent life? Not necessarily. But given the one billion planets, is anyone really naive enough to assume that not a single one of those other 999,999,999 planets with life would not become intelligent? And his odds are extremely conservative, on purpose to illustrate a point. If you took a random sample of a billion planets, I highly doubt you'll only find any form of life on one of them. People need to understand just how ******* big the universe is.

CashmoneyDrew
01-16-2011, 03:22 AM
There are definitely aliens. Has to be. A quote from Richard Dawkins, or at least a paraphrase, "If we conservatively put the odds of life originating on a planet at one in a billion, and that's an extremely conservative estimate, there would still be life on one billion planets." Recent research developments make it seem like that number is in fact much, much higher than one billion. Is it intelligent life? Not necessarily. But given the one billion planets, is anyone really naive enough to assume that not a single one of those other 999,999,999 planets with life would not become intelligent? And his odds are extremely conservative, on purpose to illustrate a point. If you took a random sample of a billion planets, I highly doubt you'll only find any form of life on one of them. People need to understand just how ******* big the universe is.

Just thinking about it makes me want to boot.

WMD
01-16-2011, 04:39 AM
I am the only form of intelligent life in the universe.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Was my post erased? Dunno what happened to it...

Caddy
01-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Was my post erased? Dunno what happened to it...

The aliens got it. :\

fenikz
01-16-2011, 06:00 AM
I watch a ton of History channel and they have this show Ancient Aliens, a few things that I liked about it were that aliens genetically modified animals and humans thus why back in the day there was like madusa, pegasus, etc and the 2nd thing was that some native american culture believed that aliens weren't from another solar system but from another dimension which they could access through different locals on the earth

Sportsfan486
01-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Of course there are aliens.

Are they secretly abducting us and returning us? Ummm... probably.. not...??????????????

01-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, as for aliens making contact with us, of that I'm still not sure. The very thing that makes aliens extremely likely, the size of the universe, also decreases the likelihood that they could get here. Not only would they have had to master intergalactic travel, they'd have to get here. Out of all the billions upon billions upon billions of planets in the universe, they'd need to be here, within the last hundred thousand years.

ElectricEye
01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah, as for aliens making contact with us, of that I'm still not sure. The very thing that makes aliens extremely likely, the size of the universe, also decreases the likelihood that they could get here. Not only would they have had to master intergalactic travel, they'd have to get here. Out of all the billions upon billions upon billions of planets in the universe, they'd need to be here, within the last hundred thousand years.
We're on the same wavelength. Hard not to think that there's some form of intelligence out there...but this ancient astronaut/conspiracy stuff is just pure crackpottery.

MaxV
01-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Some other theories that have been mentioned regarding UFOs:

- They aren't visitors from other planets. There have been witnesses that have mentioned seeing UFOs submerge under water and considering how little we know about the Oceans...

- Time-travelers?

Crickett
01-16-2011, 12:12 PM
- They aren't visitors from other planets. There have been witnesses that have mentioned seeing UFOs submerge under water and considering how little we know about the Oceans...

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/31566/881251-aquaman_1_super.jpg

MaxV
01-16-2011, 12:16 PM
There you go.

BTW, regarding the likelihood of other Planets sustaining intelligent life, it's certainly possible, but people underestimate just how EXTREMELY DIFFICULT it is for a planet to sustain ANY kind of life.

Earth is a miracle.

Nalej
01-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I think there's intelligent life form out there...
I'm a bit skeptical about the abductions though
One point my wife made to me though is...
whenever we find a new animal, we study the F out of it
Do experiments, observe them, etc
She claims, if Aliens found us, are far more advanced than us and wanted to study us...
don't the abduction stories make a little sense now?
Food for thought...
I understand what she's saying... I just find it hard to believe...

CashmoneyDrew
01-16-2011, 12:21 PM
- Time-travelers?

Like the 4400?

MaxV
01-16-2011, 12:21 PM
EDIT: That wasn't nice of me to insult the abductees like that.

I don't mean to sound like I'm dismissing all of this. I have an open mind. It is certainly possible.

Crickett
01-16-2011, 12:58 PM
She claims, if Aliens found us, are far more advanced than us and wanted to study us...
don't the abduction stories make a little sense now?
Food for thought...
I understand what she's saying... I just find it hard to believe...

Based on what I see from various nature documentaries such as Into the Wild or Big Cat Diary..... no, it doesn't make more sense now. If you were going to use an analogy to us studying a new species, I would think less alien abduction and more first contact.

Keep in mind that that the reason we often need to remain hidden when studying animals in the wild is because we don't want them to fly/run/swim/waddle away.

SwagU
01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
http://evankeane.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/kang_kodos_hitchhiking.jpg

I definitely believe in aliens, now do they look like this and spend their time abducting humans and mastering space travel maybe a bit less likely. I just always thought that if they were so much more advanced then us that they would take over Earth would they not.

01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
There you go.

BTW, regarding the likelihood of other Planets sustaining intelligent life, it's certainly possible, but people underestimate just how EXTREMELY DIFFICULT it is for a planet to sustain ANY kind of life.

Earth is a miracle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7891132.stm

The article does say that it's likely that most of them are simple life forms, but with the kind of odds we are dealing with here, I don't think it's possible we're alone as intelligent life forms in our galaxy, let alone the universe.

Also, I'm no scientist, but radio waves can't travel faster than light, can they? So why all the fuss from some about the radio transmissions to space not being replied to? That's not even mentioning the dangerous assumption that alien life would use the same radio technology as us. But if these waves are traveling through space at light speed, it would take 4 years for them to reach the nearest star and 100,000 years to get across the galaxy. To get into the next closest galaxy, it would take over 2.5 million years. That's far, far longer than people have even been on earth. Also, Andromeda has a trillion stars(twelve zeroes), and if we assume that it's even remotely like the milky way, which scientists believe has nearly 1 earth-like planet per star, then we're looking at almost one trillion earth-like planets in Andromeda Galaxy alone. And there are believed to be 100-500 BILLION galaxies in the universe, each with hundreds of billions of stars.

CJSchneider
01-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Let me say upfront. I will not say that the existence of intelligent life other than ourselves is impossible. I will say I doubt that any aliens have ever made contact with mankind, assisted in our development and are now watching us and observing with the intent of not interfering with us. If we assume that these aliens have found answers to the millions of hurdles/problems that go with successful space travel, do you really think they would have trouble keeping from being seen? Let's really think about it. If they assisted us at any point and wanted to stay unseen would your average Joe with a digital camera be able to foil their plans? I also do not subscribe to the "zoo" theory. Again, any species capable of space travel would no undoubtedly be able to decode/understand our language. Now assume we had the ability to speak "tiger" and you listened to a group of tigers conversing. Would you not be more than willing to jump into the conversation when "human existence" came up? You would. Don't say we don't attempt such things because I know we teach primates sign language.

RaiderNation
01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
daRhEOkUL1o

Borat
01-16-2011, 03:12 PM
I always picture aliens as fat beings that can't flush out their digested waste. With all the reports of anal probes, I figure they need to research they way we evacuate our excrement.

Hollywood
01-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I am scared of Aliens, the Grey Aliens...I googled image searched it but couldn't even look at the photos. It's my only phobia and I really, really, really ******* hate those things. For $10,000 I would not watch a serious styled scary movie about those kind of Aliens. Hate them.

nepg
01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
http://odd.gonzojenny.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/wtf.jpg

Brent
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I wish someone would explain the context of those photos.

Eaglez.Fan
01-17-2011, 01:52 PM

ehh... I'm not too sure about that. If an alien species is able to "master intergalactic travel" as you say, it would seem likely that they have technology that can pin-point exactly where we are. I'm not saying they have been here or they even exist, just that if the can open up worm holes using undiscovered (at least on Earth) mathematics then it isn't a stretch to say they can locate us.

vikes_28
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Seriously? nepg, could you put that picture in a spoiler so it doesn't stretch the screen out so much?

MaxV
01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
BTW, regarding aliens possibly trying to invade Earth:

What have they been waiting for? For Humans to develop nuclear weapons?

nepg
01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Spoiler tags.

Jvig43
01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Area 51. What is going on in there, I never know what theyre doing in there.

kalbears13
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I wish someone would explain the context of those photos.

It's called Getting Lindsay Linton from the Understanding Joshua Series

http://www.charliewhite.info/work/

ElectricEye
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

That's some weird ass **** man. Good find though, I was always curious about the source of that picture.

Scotty D
01-31-2011, 03:06 AM
SrmPTnhaHzs

Mr. Goosemahn
01-31-2011, 03:38 AM

Ah, and here I was thinking it was BOE and friends doing their version of Clockwork Orange.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-31-2011, 03:50 AM
SrmPTnhaHzs

Fake, it's a green screen. Image of the city used as the green screen, superimposed with the footage.

Below is a clip motion tracking the horizon, meaning the wall shouldn't move either, it should stay parallel, but it does move.

Evident here:

cHOc35nmUDk

LizardState
01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
The History Channel series on Ancient Aliens is pretty good on this, Erich von Daniken & his Chariots of the Gods is becoming trendy once more.

They're apparently finding an artificial alteration of the human genome in DNA research -- some attribute it to aliens messing with the formula to create a technological race from the apelike Neanderthals on Earth then as in the monoliths in Arthur C. Clarke's 001.

I found it fascinating that someone calculated there had to be like 300% more people in Egypt to construct the pyramids in the time they calculate they were built, no way it was done with simple pulleys. Also the structures in Bolivia with very thin tolerances between 300-ton stones, can't be done w/out machine tools. Same with the Stonehenge monoliths & Easter Island moai....... inexplicable.

CJSchneider
01-31-2011, 12:28 PM
I found it fascinating that someone calculated there had to be like 300% more people in Egypt to construct the pyramids in the time they calculate they were built, no way it was done with simple pulleys. Also the structures in Bolivia with very thin tolerances between 300-ton stones, can't be done w/out machine tools. Same with the Stonehenge monoliths & Easter Island moai....... inexplicable.

There are some youtube videos out now that demonstrate how, with simple machines, a single man can move a multi-ton object. Pretty cool, I'll try to find it later.

slightlyaraiderfan
01-31-2011, 05:01 PM
I believe.

Also, DK, why are you depressed? It's not your fault.

LizardState
01-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState

There are some youtube videos out now that demonstrate how, with simple machines, a single man can move a multi-ton object. Pretty cool, I'll try to find it later.

Pls. do, I'd like to see it. The idea that the pyramids were built in like a couple of hundred yrs is crap by Hebrew slaves (who became the Masons ????, get real), is took several generations, literally billions of man-hrs of labor. Those huge cathedrals in Western European cities -- Paris, Rheims, Cologne, etc -- are recorded to have required 4-5 generations or over a century apiece to build & that's recorded & factual.

Look at human evolution, we're just a step or 2 out of the caves wearing animal skins with room temp IQs, then all of a sudden in < 1,000 yrs. we're building the Great Pyramid? Cmon now, engineering doesn't work that fast or that way.

That city in Bolivia with the tight tolerance stones is dated to be 7,000 yrs older than the pyramids per carbon-14 dating, & it's just as stone's throw from the Nazca Lines images in Peru, the ones w/ the articulated spider & hummingbird, etc. that can only be seen from the sir. Tell me that wasn't a landing strip for spaceships....

CJSchneider
01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
OK, not the pyramids, but Stonehenge.

pCvx5gSnfW4

Draft King
01-31-2011, 09:18 PM
I believe.

Also, DK, why are you depressed? It's not your fault.

I was depressed at the time because Atlanta lost. Damn you Michael Jenkins!

ElectricEye
01-31-2011, 09:22 PM

pCvx5gSnfW4

That was really, really cool. Simple ingenuity like that is incredible.

01-31-2011, 09:44 PM

pCvx5gSnfW4

Great find. I think it was stuff like this that raised the old monuments. I think the ancient aliens theory falls short on this one. The aliens just dropped by to help people build stuff? Why haven't they come back for more?

I think it's easy to think that just because it took Europeans generations to build the cathedrals, and that we can't figure out a way for the Egyptians to have built the pyramids without modern tecnhology, that they must have used modern tech to get it built within a Pharaoh's lifetime.

Like,
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lctyd6FKhI1qzqfao.gif
But we need to remember that a LOT of stuff from thousands of years ago simply doesn't make it to today. The pyramids are from the old kingdom, that's ~4500 years ago. It's quite likely that whatever they had written down about building them has simply been lost to time. Let's not think that just because these people were "primitive" that they weren't capable of unbelievably advanced science.

As for the Nazca lines, they could be images designed for the gods, not necessarily for aliens. There really isn't any evidence beyond conjecture for aliens visiting us in the past.