PDA

View Full Version : Which 3-4 End's are Likely to Drop?

Captain Canuck
01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
It seems like there are a bunch of guys that could play 3-4 End in this draft that are currently 1st round prospects. However, I just don't see that many of them going in the 1st. I know its early, and a lot could change after workouts, but which guys are most likely to drop to the 2nd round?

Heyward
Jordan
Bailey
Watt
Clayborne

Probably missed a couple others......

Edit: Can a mod change the title to "Which"

Matthew Jones
01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think Clayborn projects as a 3-4 defensive end. I think at this point Dareus, Heyward, Jordan, and Watt are first-round locks. I think Bailey will go in the first-round too. Depth isn't too good, so teams in the second round might have to settle for a guy like Pernell McPhee or Jarvis Jenkins.

Razor
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Jarvis Jenkins is a guy that's really underrated right now. I know that Scott just gave him a 2nd-3rd round grade (which imo is correct), but I haven't seen that a lot of places. I think he could end up as a fantastic 5-tech in the NFL. I'd rather have him in the second round than Marcel Dareus in the first.

Captain Canuck
01-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Where do you guys see Wilkerson from Temple being drafted?

Razor
01-16-2011, 11:43 AM

If he has a good offseason I could see him sneaking into the first round...

SenorGato
01-16-2011, 12:16 PM

2-3 with a shot at 1 if his workouts go really well...I like this guy, though I don't think he's strong enough yet.

Christian Ballard might not go in the first, so I guess I'll say him.

Dareus could fall out of the 5-10 range he's been hyped at for a while.

JustDezIT
01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know, but I do know one thing. Cam Jordan is the 2nd best defensive lineman in the draft after Fairley. That dude is a baller in every sense of the word and will change the 3-4 DE position in the NFL.

Look for him to go top 10. Hopefully to Dallas.

TACKLE
01-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Adrian Clayborn is the name that comes to mind. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go in the mid-2nd.

descendency
01-17-2011, 05:06 PM
edit: Ignore that. I somehow read Cam Heyward.

princefielder28
01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Adrian Clayborn is the name that comes to mind. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go in the mid-2nd.

Agree...he just didn't bring it to the level that we've seen in the past and stamina became a big question mark with him as well...he's still a nice talent and gives it his all but just didn't give us the season that most were hoping for or expecting

sportslover
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
JJ Watt is the best 3-4 End in this class, followed by Jordan from Cal. I think you will see a few go in the 10-20 range, and some falling into late 20's - early 2nd. The best ones that would be in this discussion are : Watt, Heyward, Jordan, Bailey, Clayborn, etc.

TheRoo
01-17-2011, 06:24 PM
edit: Ignore that. I somehow read Cam Heyward.

Agree. Teams are going to fall in love with Heyward. He is a solid player who plays hard every week and will represent an organization in a very good manner. He is also incredibly versatile, he can line up all over the place. I've watched him for 4 years and whatever team gets him is getting a really solid player.

87Canes
01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
JJ Watt is overrated to me. I don't see how some people can label him as the best 3-4 DE this offseason. He's got a motor but that's about it. I watched his tape vs tOSU and he was always a step behind the play. Yes he made plays but I don't see this guy being a consistent playmaker in a 3-4 system unless he's drafted by Pittsburgh or NYJ. Maybe even Baltimore but I would definitely take Dareus, Jordan or Bailey before Watt.

Here's my 3-4 DE rankings:

1. Dareus
2. Jordan
3. Bailey
4. Clayborn
5. Heyward
6. Watt

descendency
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Agree. Teams are going to fall in love with Heyward. He is a solid player who plays hard every week and will represent an organization in a very good manner. He is also incredibly versatile, he can line up all over the place. I've watched him for 4 years and whatever team gets him is getting a really solid player.
I actually said something close to the opposite.

I agree that he can be amazing at times, but at times I just don't see him do anything, even when I am watching a game just to see him. His pass rushing disappears in games. I just don't love what I see in games all of the time and that to me is a second round grade.

TheRoo
01-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I actually said something close to the opposite.

I agree that he can be amazing at times, but at times I just don't see him do anything, even when I am watching a game just to see him. His pass rushing disappears in games. I just don't love what I see in games all of the time and that to me is a second round grade.

He isn't a great pass rusher all the time no disagreement here. However, he is always solid against the run and always plays hard. Many of the teams we played against max protected to his side a lot of the time as well. He was a big reason OSU's defense was as good as it was.

FUNBUNCHER
01-18-2011, 06:25 AM
If the SKins can't grab a QB at #10, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shanny grab a player with Heyward's talent and college pedigree at that pick.

RWills
01-18-2011, 09:13 AM
I think we really need to see how big some of these guys really are and if they have the long arms and anchor to actually play the 3-4 or just LDE in the 4-3 I have heard Watts and Jordan's weight range from 278-292. Look at some of the 3-4 teams with Wilfork moving to DE and Pickett, Brace, Ngata...guys that are easliy 320+ playing DE, it is about containment and not pass rushing. Now teams like Phillips' defenses, SD and the Jets, they use more stunts and can use guys that are smaller and more agile, but others is about anchoring. It is VERY RARE to find a 3-4 end who can anchor the line and get to the QB. Ngata, Seymour and the Aaron Smith's are the only guys I can think of who have that ability. If these guys can do this remains to be seen.

Superyesva
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
One of the hidden gems in this years draft is Ugo Chinasa of Oklahoma State. He didn't produce great numbers on the field and could add some weight to his 6'6 frame, but this kid has unlimited potential. He's rated as a mid round draft pick but his size and physical stature is amazing. I'm no OK State fan but I think this guy will move way up on the draft boards after INDY. I actually got word that he ran a 4.56 40 yard dash on grass where he is training in AZ.

keylime_5
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I think Bailey is more likely to go in the 2nd/3rd than he is the 1st. Very raw player that a lot of teams will call a 'tweener. I think Jordan and Watt are much more likely to rise than they are to fall based on the great years they just had. Compared to their junior seasons Heyward and Clayborn weren't as productive as seniors so one would think they would be more likely to drop towards round 2.

K Train
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
id love clayborn in a 34....

i think they are ranked like this though

Cameron Heyward
Cameron Jordan
Marcell Dareus (i like him inside of a 43 more though)
Adrian Clayborn
JJ Watt
Allen Bailey
Jarvis Jenkins
Christian Ballard