PDA

View Full Version : First Mock

king2am
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I haven't had a lot of time to take a good look at all of the prospects yet - most of what i've done is just on the surface.

I'm sure i've missed players, i'm sure i've missed 'needs'. Help me out, thanks.

1. Carolina Panthers- Nick Fairley – DT – Auburn : Absolute monster in the middle of a defense. I think he’s awfully close to Ndamukong Suh. He may have that ‘dirty’ label, but I think defensive coaches around the league will see that as just playing angry.
2. Denver Broncos- Robert Quinn – DE – North Carolina : This may come as a surprise but if he had played this season he would be the unquestioned #1 pass rusher in the draft. I know you can’t play around with ‘ifs’ but I feel that during the draft process Quinn will elevate himself as the guy you want getting after the quarterback.
3. Buffalo Bills- Da’Quan Bowers – DE – Clemson : I keep hearing they will add defensive talent, regardless of their defensive scheme. I don’t think they can pass on a player like Bowers, even though they desperately want Fairley to fall.
4. Cincinnati Bengals- AJ Green – WR – Georgia : If you’re going to stick with Carson Palmer, then it’s only fair if you give him a legitimate weapon to take the top off the defense. I would not be stunned to see a quarterback taken here just to bring along, but the way this sits AJ Green would make sense.
5. Arizona Cardinals- Patrick Peterson – CB – Lousiana State : The Cardinals had some issues generating a pass rush this season. With Quinn and Bowers off the board, they are left without the opportunity to better themselves in that regard at pick #5. I may be in the minority, but I think the Cards ride their quarterback situation out. And even if they aren’t blown away with Skelton or Hall, Patrick Peterson may just be too much to let go.
6. Cleveland Browns- Marcell Dareus – DT – Alabama : You can never have enough elite defensive lineman playing in the AFC North. Dareus would be an immediate upgrade for the Browns, assuming they stay with the 3-4.
7. San Francisco 49ers- Prince Amukamara – CB – Nebraska : The #1 issue/need for the 49ers is most likely quarterback, followed closely by a pass rusher. But right there in the conversation is some serious help for the secondary. Coach Harbaugh has hinted at the notion that drafting a quarterback at #7 isn’t imperative. Amukamara is an elite talent that shouldn’t get out of the top ten.
8. Tennessee Titans- Ryan Mallett – QB – Arkansas : I do not believe that Ryan Mallett is the best quarterback in the draft but I just have a gut feeling (I know, really solid stuff huh?) that the franchise may be a bit gun shy to take another “mobile” quarterback. Mallett can make all the throws and he and Kenny Britt could help stretch the defense for CJ2K.
9. Dallas Cowboys- Stephen Paea – DT – Oregon State : Rob Ryan has nothing but great things to say about Shaun Rogers. I like the front seven for Dallas especially with guys like Sean Lee, Jay Ratliff, Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer – but they are missing that monster that demands your attention. I know it’s Jerry Jones here, but I think once the draft process sorts itself out that Paea will be a hot commodity.
10. Washington Redskins- Cam Newton – QB – Auburn : If there is a Shanahan system friendly quarterback in the draft I think it may be Cam Newton. He has the athleticism that is required to play the position and his freakish athleticism is going to bail the skins out of their fair share of ugly moments. He is that intriguing play maker that could make the difference in a dramatic W/L swing.
11. Houston Texans- Brandon Harris – CB – Miami : If you want to win the AFC South you need to beat the Indianapolis Colts. If you’re going to do that, you need as many cover guys as you can possibly get your hands on.
12. Minnesota Vikings- Blaine Gabbert – QB – Missouri : Big athletic quarterback with an good arm could provide a little shot in the arm to this offense that’s ready to win right now.
13. Detroit Lions- Ryan Kerrigan – DE – Purdue : At this spot, with the way teams have picked in front of the Lions I don’t see any help for them in the secondary or at the linebacker positions. With that said, I think this allows them to continue to develop one of the best defensive lines in all of football.
14. St. Louis Rams- Julio Jones – WR – Alabama : I hate how good Sam Bradford looks. I also hate the idea of the Rams taking a WR like Jones for Bradford to throw to.
15. Miami Dolphins- Jake Locker – QB – Washington : Yes, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams both may be gone, but running backs can be found in any round of the draft, and beyond. If the Miami Dolphins are convinced that Chad Henne is not their guy, then I think Jake Locker makes a ton of sense for them.
16. Jacksonville Jaguars- Cameron Heyward – DE – Ohio State : When he plays like he did that night of the Sugar Bowl, he becomes one of those “unblockable” defensive players. Could be another great young addition to that defensive line.
17. New England Patriots- Cameron Jordan – DE – California : May turn out to be the best of the bunch, and would be a great addition to the front seven in New England.
18. San Diego Chargers- Gabe Carimi – OT – Wisconsin : I believe somewhere along the line, the Chargers themselves became enamored with Philip Rivers and his ability to sling the ball. During that time, they forgot how great they use to be at running the ball. They absolutely need to get back to the days when you knew as a defense you had to play run first. Once that happens the passing game may reach a scary level.
19. New York Giants- Derek Sherrod – OT – Mississippi State : It’s the Giants, so that means it’s either a defensive line pick or an offensive line pick. I kid, but that’s how the good football teams do it – draft from the trenches, out.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aldon Smith – DE – Missouri : I’m not quite sure on this one, but I do know the Bucs would like to get more pressure with their front four than what they’re getting. Putting an edge rushing presence on the field will only make life that much easier on McCoy.
21. Kansas City Chiefs- Von Miller – OLB – Texas A&M : Tamba Hali does not receive the recognition he deserves from many “casual” fans. The posters here for the most part understand how great of a player he is though. I think being able to add another nightmare on the other side of the defense would be amazing for the Chiefs. They definitely need a WR to compliment Bowe, but I think a Hankerson type of WR could be had later.
22. Indianapolis Colts- Nate Solder – OT – Colorado : Make your sarcastic jokes referencing Peyton Manning having to do it all but the fact remains; if that guy goes down, the Colts would be better served playing a UFL schedule. Just protect the guy.
23. Philadelphia Eagles- Akeem Ayers – OLB – UCLA : Hopefully the Ernie Sims experiment has run its course.
24. New Orleans Saints- Allen Bailey – DE – Miami : May be a bigger bodied guy than what fans would look for, but he has all the ability to still play on the edge for them, and that’s exactly what they need.
25. Baltimore Ravens- JJ Watt – DE – Wisconsin : This guy has grown on me as the season progressed – just seems like the kind of football player that Ray and the boys would love to have.
26. Seattle Seahawks- Adrian Clayborn – DE – Iowa : Defensively, the Hawks have talent at every level, but they could use another guy up front .
27. Atlanta Falcons- Jonathan Baldwin – WR – Pittsburgh : If the Falcons had Asomugha in coverage against the Packers I’m not sure it would have mattered. Aaron Rodgers was 31 of 36 because he was throwing from the comforts of his own living room, or so it seemed. Abraham can’t be the one man show on the defensive line for much longer, but unfortunately there’s no value here to take a defensive end. Without that option they need to find more ways to get explosive plays on offense. Roddy White is a beast but unless they get someone on the opposite side ( and it’s not Harry Douglas) it’s going to be a struggle to strike from a distance.
28. Chicago Bears- Tyron Smith – OT – USC : Jay Cutler and the rest of the offense would benefit greatly from better offensive line play.
29. New England Patriots- Mark Ingram – RB – Alabama : Mark Ingram is just too good of a football player to slip out of the first. Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Ingram…yikes.
30. New York Jets- Justin Houston – OLB – Georgia : All they do is get after the quarterback, and even when they don’t they’re thinking of ways to get there.
31. Pittsburgh Steelers- Mike Pouncey – G – Florida : Aside from the need for interior lineman, this is kind of cool I think.
32. Green Bay Packers- Anthony Costanzo – OT – Boston College : Keep Aaron Rodgers alive and the wins will continue to pour in.

shylo3716
01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Why would San Francisco pass up on a QB when they have the opportunity to take any one of the four available?

49erNation85
01-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Shylo that is my exact thought .If we pass on Locker I'm gonna **** my self on draft day . Unless there plan or hope it get him in second round or go after Stanzi or Dalton .

Menardo75
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
IF the Niners don't get Locker when he is on the board it's a fail.

Master Exploder
01-16-2011, 07:37 PM
I really don't think San Francisco will take a QB in round 1. Jake Locker isn't worth a top 10 pick, and I think Harbaugh will look to bring in a veteran QB and draft a Christian Ponder or somebody in the 2nd round.

Seasonticketholder
01-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Saints would not pass Mark Ingram and J.J. Watt (and maybe not Adrian Clayborn) for Allen Bailey. The Saints believe in taking the BPA and Ingram, Watt and Clayborn are better players than Bailey.

prock
01-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah! I dig Gabbert.

49erNation85
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I really don't think San Francisco will take a QB in round 1. Jake Locker isn't worth a top 10 pick, and I think Harbaugh will look to bring in a veteran QB and draft a Christian Ponder or somebody in the 2nd round.

You better follow Locker in the senior bowl week then .After that he will be back at a top ten pick.Why isn't he a top ten pick now, stats are overrated IMO .

JRTPlaya21
01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Hmmmm Cam Newton? Shoot me if that happens.

thebow305
01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Nice Phins pick

EstablishTheRun
01-17-2011, 12:33 AM
You better follow Locker in the senior bowl week then .After that he will be back at a top ten pick.Why isn't he a top ten pick now, stats are overrated IMO .

Yes to all of that. I thought I was the only one left that still loved Locker.

gouldo
01-17-2011, 01:27 AM
I cant see the Cards or the 49ers passing on qb's in the 1st. I know Andrew Luck will be available next year, but is it worth hoping that they are in a top 3 spot to draft him in 2012? I wouldn't think so.

king2am
01-17-2011, 04:48 AM
I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling about Jake Locker that others do. I don't think he's worth a top 7 pick - I don't think any of the quarterbacks are worth that slot. Could 1 or 2 be taken at that point? Sure. But they all have a long ways to go in one aspect of their game or another. Jim Harbaugh is going to get who he wants to be his quarterback and run his system. If that's Jake Locker, great. If that's Blaine Gabbert that's fine too. But with guys like Dalton, Devlin, Stanzi, Kaepernick, and Ponder available after round 1, I think passing on Amukamara is a mistake. Not to mention there's nothing out there that says Harbaugh wouldn't be inclined to find a veteran to fill the void for a short time.

It's not "jake locker or bust" for me, and it certainly shouldn't be that way for anyone else.

Brown Leader
01-17-2011, 04:56 AM
I'd prefer the Browns stick with the 34 but I doubt it.

T-RICH49
01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
digging that KC pick