PDA

View Full Version : How Does the Draft Order Work Out for the Playoffs?

Master Exploder
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm just curious as to how the new draft order works out for the playoffs. I've read about it, but I don't think I fully understand. I know it's done by what round they are eliminated in, but after that how does it change? Is it record base, followed by S.O.S. in the same round? Like does Seattle get the 25th pick, Baltimore get 26th, Atlanta get 27th, and New England get 28th now?

I'm just a little confused on all of it. I don't know if record should be considered or if it goes by purely S.O.S. or what.

keylime_5
01-16-2011, 09:54 PM
21-KC
22-IND
23-PHI
24-NO
25-SEA
26-BAL
27-ATL
28-NE
29-NYJ/PIT/CHI/GB
30-NYJ/PIT/CHI
31-SB Loser
32-SB Winner

record then SOS just like the rest of the teams, but they divide them into groups by round (wc, div, cc, sb). If NY and Chicago win, then GB picks 29, PIT picks 30. If NY and GB win, then PIT picks 30 and Chicago picks 29. If PIT and GB win, then Chicago picks 29 and NY picks 30, and if PIT and CHI win then NY picks 30 and GB picks 29.

Master Exploder
01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Okay, thank you so much man. I figured that's what it was.

PossibleCabbage
01-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I believe that you have the right of it.

If it helps, think about it this way: Excepting the superbowl teams (who receive picks #31 and #32 as usual), all teams are put into one of 4 bins.

Bin #1: Teams that did not make the playoffs.
Bin #2: Teams that were eliminated in the wild card round of the playoffs.
Bin #3: Teams that were eliminated in the divisional round of the playoffs.
Bin #4: Teams that were eliminated in the conference championships.

Within each bin, draft order is determined in the standard fashion, first by record and secondly by strength of schedule in the case of a tie. I believe within a playoff team bin, only regular season record and strength of schedule factor into it.

So the teams that were just eliminated draft in the following order: Seattle, Baltimore, Atlanta, New England.

Scott Wright
01-16-2011, 10:24 PM
You can track it at: http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Draft-Order.php

GB12
01-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Another good thing about the Patriots losing, it should put and end to this garbage in one round mock drafts:

32 - Patriots
33 - Patriots

The first round has 32 picks. Or 31 when the Patriots are caught cheating. But not 33.