PDA

View Full Version : Sex Magic Mock Draft - 1/17/2011

Master Exploder
01-17-2011, 01:51 AM
This will probably be my last mock draft until the Super Bowl, so let me guys know what you think. All constructive criticism is appreciated!

1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, DT Auburn
Drafting the best DT in the draft will help their young DEs develop and bring them 1 step closer to having a feared defensive line that they have been lacking.

2. Denver Broncos: Da'Quan Bowers, DE Clemson
With John Fox taking over and rumors of Jim Mora Jr. interviewing for the defensive coordinator coaching position, it seems as if the Denver Broncos will be switching back to a 43 defense. Nick Fairley would have been a slam dunk, but Da'Quan Bowers has tremendous upside also.

3. Buffalo Bills: Cameron Newton, QB Auburn
The Buffalo Bills need play makers in order to compete with New England and New York twice a year. A lot of people questioned the C.J. Spiller pick last season, but bringing in a player like Cameron Newton to pair up with Spiller could become a potential nightmare for defenses. With the emergence of Ryan Fitzpatrick this past season, Newton will be able to back-up and digest an NFL offense before taking over.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR Georgia
Chad Ochocinco is getting older and less effective and Terrel Owens most likely won't be back. The owners aren't ready to give up on Carson Palmer just yet and getting a talent like A.J. Green could prove to be a move that could save this franchise from back-to-back losing seasons.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Patrick Peterson, CB LSU
Ken Whisenhunt is potentially looking at the chopping block unless he can turn this team around. They could take a QB here, but they are in a position where they need to win now and throwing a talent like Patrick Peterson into the defense can instantly make their secondaries one of the more feared secondaries in the league.

6. Cleveland Browns: Julio Jones, WR Alabama
Cleveland just signed St. Louis's offensive coordinator as their head coach. He did wonders with Sam Bradford, but with Colt McCoy he's going to face the same problem that he had in St. Louis by not having a star receiver to throw to. With the drop-off of top end talent at the WR position, Julio Jones can easily sneak into the top 10.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB Nebraska
Jim Harbaugh has a knack for scouting QBs and there have been subtle indications that he may be looking to take someone later on in the draft or sign a veteran. Of course nothing is ruled out as of yet, but with a great talent like Prince Amukamara still on the board and a glaring hole at the CB position, this choice becomes a bit easier to make.

8. Tennessee Titans: Blaine Gabbert, QB Missouri
Vince Young is out and Kerry Collins is old. The Titans will probably try to keep Kerry Collins for atleast 1 more season, but it is apparent that they need to grab a QB for the future. Had Andrew Luck came out this season and Blaine Gabbert stayed in college, he could've easily been the top QB taken next year.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Marcell Dareus, DE Alabama
The Cowboys are losing a lot of defensive linemen this coming off-season, but they also need help in the secondary. However, with the top 34 DE still on the board it makes sense for them to grab their lineman now instead of reaching for a DB.

10. Washington Redskins Cameron Heyward, DE Ohio State
Washington has a lot of needs. They could go QB, because it's obvious that Donovan McNabb's career in Washington is over; however, I think they might be comfortable with Rex Grossman starting for another year. With the situation with Albert Haynesworth turning out to be a nightmare, they should look to upgrade their defensive front with a top talent in Cameron Heyward.

11. Houston Texans: Von Miller, LB Texas A&M
Wade Phillips is going to implement his 34 defense into Houston, so it would be a smart move to grab the best pass rushing LB in the draft to be the heart of the defense.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Ryan Mallett, QB Arkansas
Minnesota could grab a defensive lineman here, but they have needed a young QB for awhile and Joe Webb is most likely not the answer.

13. Detroit Lions: Akeem Ayers, LB UCLA
Detroit is slowly starting to build a scary defense. They have a need at LB, and Akeem Ayers is the best 43 LB prospect in the entire draft, and probably the only one worth taking in the 1st round.

14. St. Louis Rams: Robert Quinn, DE North Carolina
St. Louis would have loved to have grabbed Julio Jones at this pick, but Sam Bradford was surprisingly pretty good without a top WR last year. With the lack of depth at WR and possibly the best pure pass rusher in the draft still available at this point, the decision to opt out of taking a WR in the 1st round becomes easier for them.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB Alabama
The Dolphins have a lot of needs and only 1 1st round draft pick, they could grab a QB, but at this point Jake Locker is as much a risk as keeping Chad Henne. It is apparent that they need to seriously get back to running the ball successfully, and Mark Ingram is a great all-purpose RB to build on.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE Purdue
Gene Smith has made some questionable moves in the draft, but they have proved to be wise moves. Adding a DE with a non-stop motor, great prototypical size, and more importantly no character concerns really seems like a slam dunk for Jacksonville.

17. New England Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE California
New England needs help on the defensive front, and I believe they were hoping Cameron Heyward would be here at pick 17. However, Cameron Jordan is a great consolation prize and he has the potential to be the best 34 DE in this draft.

18. San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Baldwin, WR Pittsburgh
Philip Rivers proved that he could get the job done with no-name WR's, but with Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson both set to become FA's, it seems like they need to atleast pick up 1 WR with 1 of their top picks. San Diego loves big receivers, so Jonathan Baldwin seems like a great fit in San Diego.

19. New York Giants: Derek Sherrod, OT Mississippi State
With the lack of talent for 1st round LB's and the fact that the New York Giants had some questions earlier in the season along the offensive line, they could use this pick to bring in some help. Derek Sherrod is capable of playing just about any position along the line, so he should be a very safe pick with whatever direction they wanted to take with him.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Aldon Smith, DE Missouri
Tampa Bay desperately needs a pass rusher along the defensive line. Aldon Smith is a very young and raw prospect, but he has tremendous upside and could potentially be the best 43 DE in this entire draft class a few years down the road.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyron Smith, OT USC
Kansas City has a need for a pass rusher or even a 34 DE, but at this point Tyron Smith's potential outweighs those needs and they could definitely use some help at OT.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Stephen Paea, DT Oregon State
It's no secret that the Colts need to upgrade their running defense. With Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, and Maurice Jones-Drew in their division they need someone who can help clog up running lanes.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Harris, CB Miami
With Ellis Hobbs' return to football looking doubtful and the way that Philadelphia's defense deteriorated down the stretch, the Eagles should look to grab a nice talent to play opposite of Asante Samuel.

24. New Orleans Saints: Allen Bailey, DE Miami
The Saints need help at both DE and DT. Allen Bailey looks like he could be a good fit, potentially playing the same role that Justin Tuck played earlier on in his career.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker, QB Washington
Pete Carrol is quite familiar with Jake Locker, and with Matt Hasselbeck only getting older, it may be a perfect time to grab his future replacement.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Jimmy Smith, CB Colorado
Baltimore had a lot of injuries in the secondary this past season and it will be interesting to see how they plan to go forward with that position next season. Jimmy Smith has great size and can potentially be a great player in this league. I would not rule out a WR at this point either, but ultimately Jimmy Smith offers the best value for this pick.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith, WR Maryland
Torrey Smith is probably going to see his stock rise a lot from now and the combine. All of Atlanta's losses this season came from the opposing defenses shutting down their start players. Atlanta should look to grab a deep threat for Matt Ryan to diversify their offense a bit more. A DE would also be a great pick here, but unfortunately at this point there aren't and DE's that would fit Atlanta's scheme worth taking right here.

28. New England Patriots: Justin Houston, LB Georgia
New England already grabbed their DE, and they could definitely look to upgrade their interior offensive linemen, but with Green Bay picking between this pick and their 1st pick of the 2nd round, they should probably look to grab their pass rusher a bit earlier.

29. Green Bay Packers: Aaron Williams, CB Texas
Green Bay is in the position to take the BPA and with Justin Houston off the board and Sam Shields having spotty play at times and an aging Charles Woodson, it would be a smart move to take the best CB on the board.

30. New York Jets: J.J. Watt, DE Wisconsin
The Jets could go with a number of choices right here, but J.J. Watt is too good of a talent to pass up on and he should help upgrade their already strong defense.

31. Chicago Bears: Anthony Castonzo, OT Boston College
It's no secret that Chicago needs an OT. Anthony Castonzo is a great choice at pick 31.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Cannon, G TCU
Pittsburgh also has a glaring hole within the interior of their offensive line. Honestly, they could look to take someone like Gabe Carimi and move Willie Colon into the interior, but ultimately Marcus Cannon offers great versatility in his ability to play either G or OT.

Docta
01-17-2011, 02:07 AM
Don't think Julio's going to be going that high, even with help from the combine.

Don't think the Chargers are going to get another WR. I know they might lose Vincent, but Baldwin is a boom or bust, and they have enough.

EDIT: Thanks for having the Bears in the SB. No love for having them lose though. :(

TACKLE
01-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Have to disagree with you Docta. There's a good chance he goes top ten. He's coming off an excellent season and has elite physical tools.

Ravens pick is certainly sex magic. I love me some Jimmy Smith and he brings that #1 CB we need. I kinda of thought that we might be alright at CB but Ladarius Webb on 3rd and 19 has me thinking otherwise. : (

JPP90
01-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Good Giants pick. Sherrod is solid and offers more than a bench press and some newly pinted PED's for the locker room. LOL @ Newton to the Bills. Cam would be begging his way out of Buffalo in 2 years when he saw the night life there. Buffalo is not cut out for big stars with big egos. At least not in this era. Miami would be perfect for him. They need a guy to replace Henne and not elevate them over NY and NE for 10 years.

703SKINS202
01-17-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm ok with that pick although I'd prefer Quinn. DE is a big need though.

bullg8rdaddy
01-17-2011, 04:37 AM
Bucs pick is SWEET! LOVE IT!

Brown Leader
01-17-2011, 04:47 AM
I don't think the Bengals would pass up Peterson-he'd be their FS.

Jags just picked up a bunch of DE last year.

Browns-Not against Julio but I'm almost convinced we are going QB.

Smooth Criminal
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
I like the Steelers pick. We've heard the move Colon to guard line for so long I just don't think it happens.

I like guard or CB in the first for the Steelers. Ike, Colon, and Woodley are all free agents, so who they sign out of those 3 will be the biggest factor.

thebow305
01-17-2011, 10:29 AM
That Phins pick is pretty sexy indeed, although Jake Locker would also be pretty sexy.

T-RICH49
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Epic Fail on KC's pick.Justin Houston please

coordinator0
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Have to disagree with you Docta. There's a good chance he goes top ten. He's coming off an excellent season and has elite physical tools.

Ravens pick is certainly sex magic. I love me some Jimmy Smith and he brings that #1 CB we need. I kinda of thought that we might be alright at CB but Ladarius Webb on 3rd and 19 has me thinking otherwise. : (

Landry is just as much at fault as Webb is on that play. Neither guy should have let anybody get past them.

Smith is a good pick, he really balances out the secondary well and if we only bring back one of Wilson/Carr/Washington we'll be just fine in the secondary. An improvement in the pass-rush would probably make a bigger impact than another corner though.

shylo3716
01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
This will probably be my last mock draft until the Super Bowl, so let me guys know what you think. All constructive criticism is appreciated!

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Harris, CB Miami
With Ellis Hobbs' return to football looking doubtful and the way that Philadelphia's defense deteriorated down the stretch, the Eagles should look to grab a nice talent to play opposite of Asante Samuel.

Thank you my friend.......Cheesesteak on me, from me to you anyway you want it.

http://www.foodsacrossamerica.com/assets/item/large/081808_FAA-2101.jpg

Matthew Jones
01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
I could see a draft like that happening.

LizardState
01-17-2011, 01:25 PM
If Newton or Gabbert (or Ryan Mallett for that matter) is the 1st QB taken it's one helluva craptastic draft for QBs. I could see Locker dorking it up in the Senior Bowl (more the practices than the game itself as the acid test for NFL-readiness) but he would have to be the worst QB prospect ever in the Combine next month to drop like that. Every draft there is a run on QBs & there are at least 3 teams, maybe 4-5 (maybe Oakland & the Fins too), looking for that new franchise guy in April.

Love Dareus to Dallas btw, they will need a Spears replacement soon. Rumor is they might go CB b/c no way they're paying Newman $9M next yr, I think both he & Spears will be roster cuts in February.

If Harbaugh fills his CB need, does that mean he's waiting in the tall grass a yr for Andrew Luck? Downside there is squeezing another woeful yr. out of Alex Smtih. Luck with Harbaugh again -- Those 2 on the 9ers would be a marriage made in heaven.

Master Exploder
01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
If Newton or Gabbert (or Ryan Mallett for that matter) is the 1st QB taken it's one helluva craptastic draft for QBs. I could see Locker dorking it up in the Senior Bowl (more the practices than the game itself as the acid test for NFL-readiness) but he would have to be the worst QB prospect ever in the Combine next month to drop like that. Every draft there is a run on QBs & there are at least 3 teams, maybe 4-5, looking for that new franchise guy in April.

Jake Locker has hurt his stock all season. He's got a lot of red flags and great potential. I don't think there are many people that are still projecting him as a locked top 5 pick. In my opinion, I think he's going to get lucky to not slide out of the 1st round.

And that's not true about every draft being a run on QBs, infact it's quite the opposite. I'm sure you could make that argument with players like J.P. Losman or Josh Freeman, but maybe you should look at the past few years 1st round draft picks a little more thoroughly if you believe that there is usally a run on 1st round QBs.

RealityCheck
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Sweet Pats mock.

ChicagoBearsVet23
01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Wisniewski would be a better pick for the Bears

Master Exploder
01-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Wisniewski would be a better pick for the Bears

Perhaps, but there are several good centers to be had in the 2nd round. Somebody like Kris O'Dowd from USC would be a great value later on.

I just don't see them passing up on a great tackle, when there are great interior lineman to be had in later rounds.

ChicagoBearsVet23
01-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Kris O'Dowd is too injury prone

Master Exploder
01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Kris O'Dowd is too injury prone

Eh, well I suppose to each his own.

49erNation85
01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
If we pass on Locker , I will sue the SF origination . We need a QB !

Master Exploder
01-17-2011, 07:42 PM
If we pass on Locker , I will sue the SF origination . We need a QB !

It's very possible, but I get the feeling that the 49ers might be looking for a veteran QB or someone a little bit later in the round. With Andrew Luck staying there is not exactly a top QB in this class, and I'm not sold on Jim Harbaugh being the type to just settle with the first QB that lands in his laps. As I said, he's a great judge of talent and I think he can find what he wants later on in the draft or in a veteran. Who knows though? It could really go either way, I just feel that ultimately given what is still available that Prince Amukamara brings more potential to the table than any of the QB's that are left. Especially with the QB class next season looking much stronger than this year's class, I can really see them passing on 1 this year.

STsACE
01-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Jones......decent pick. Could really see it happening though with our lack of a #1 WR and I think Holmgren really wants Shurmur to test drive McCoy. Jones gives him a nice weapon and makes McCoy look better. We really need speed at WR, how fast is Jones?

Master Exploder
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Jones......decent pick. Could really see it happening though with our lack of a #1 WR and I think Holmgren really wants Shurmur to test drive McCoy. Jones gives him a nice weapon and makes McCoy look better. We really need speed at WR, how fast is Jones?

I agree completely, I think Colt McCoy showed glimpses last season that the Browns may have gotten more than what they initially thought they had. Getting a great, big, athletic WR like Julio Jones would really help them in evaluating whether or not they have a franchise QB in McCoy. I've read from various scouting websites that Julio Jones has been timed in the 4.4-4.5 range, most of the readings are right around 4.45, which actually should be right around where A.J. Green runs.

Being a Georgia fan, I love A.J. Green, but in my most unbiased opinion, I do not think the drop off between A.J. and Julio is as big as many think and in all honesty if A.J. Green did not have the hype that he has right now, I could see it being a 1a. and 1b. type of pick. I think Julio Jones is highly underrated at this point in time, and I believe his stock will go up when he attends the combine, but still I don't see how he's not considered a consensus top-10 talent already.

LizardState
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Perhaps, but there are several good centers to be had in the 2nd round. Somebody like Kris O'Dowd from USC would be a great value later on.

Wisniewski is the only C/OG who could penetrate the 1st rd IMO, he could be a hot commodity. O'Dowd looks to be the only pure center out there who could be that impact rookie who starts.

Dallas will be looking for one if they dump Davis & move Gurode back to guard as mentioned, Koshier can play it but they need depth at OG too, & it looks like Heitman is done in for the 9ers, too beat up per PFW last month. The 49ers new coaching regime will probably be cutting past yrs. underachievers so Chilo Rachal could be among the 1st ones gone, they went OG in the 1st last yr, could go for a center this draft.

vikes_28
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Mallett <3

prock
01-18-2011, 02:23 AM
Great Vikings pick.

drd23
01-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Landry is just as much at fault as Webb is on that play. Neither guy should have let anybody get past them.

Smith is a good pick, he really balances out the secondary well and if we only bring back one of Wilson/Carr/Washington we'll be just fine in the secondary. An improvement in the pass-rush would probably make a bigger impact than another corner though.Agreed. And with Clayborn available, I would prefer we take him here instead of Smith. We need a better pass rush threat across from Suggs and I think Clayborn could help provide that as he'll see less double teams on a DL with Ngata and Cody

Master Exploder
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Agreed. And with Clayborn available, I would prefer we take him here instead of Smith. We need a better pass rush threat across from Suggs and I think Clayborn could help provide that as he'll see less double teams on a DL with Ngata and Cody

I really don't get why people project Clayborn as a 3-4 DE. I just don't see it at all.

Arsenal
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
The Prince is great for San Francisco.

BucsFreak5
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I think the Bucs would go Clayborn over Smith.

Poz51
01-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I approve the Bills pick.