PDA

View Full Version : Diab's First Mock of the Season

diabsoule
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
1. Carolina Panthers – Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
With no clear cut standout player in this year's draft, Carolina opts for the player that should have the most impact in a position of need.

2. Denver Broncos – Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
John Fox has stated that he'll stick with the 3-4 and give some 4-3 looks, either way he needs an impact pass rusher outside of Dumervil and Bowers excels at just that.

3. Buffalo Bills – Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The former LSU standout could play either CB or S and would be a best player available selection.

4. Cincinnati Bengals – A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
It was apparent that the Bengals need a playmaker at wide receiver and Green is a human highlight reel.

5. Arizona Cardinals – Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
The Prince arrives in Phoenix as the Cardinals would now possess two great young corners.

6. Cleveland Browns – Marcel Dareus, DE, Alabama
He can be a 5 tech if the Browns stick with the 3-4 or a DT in a 4-3. Either way he should make a difference.

7. San Francisco – Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
A new regime means a new QB in the city by the Bay.

8. Tennessee Titans – Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
There is a strong possibility that the Titans will target a veteran QB in free agency or trade for one with this possibly being Jeff Fisher's last year in Tennessee. Quinn fills a need at DE and helps them get better along the DL.

9. Dallas Cowboys – J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
Igor Olshansky has not had the impact the Cowboys were expecting him to have when they signed him as a FA so Watt, who is a massive disruptor, can come in and be the 5-tech they need in that 3-4.

10. Washington Redskins – Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
The trade for McNabb didn't pan out and Newton would be Shanahan's QB of the future.

11. Houston Texans – Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
In Wade Phillip's new 3-4 scheme the Texans will need a playmaker opposite Mario Williams and Ayers fits the 3-4 perfectly.

12. Minnesota Vikings – Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Once again the Vikings are in the hunt for a QB and this time they have one fall into their lap.

13. Detroit Lions – Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
The Lions secondary was fairly horrible last year and while Harris is a bit of reach it is a much needed reach.

14. St. Louis Rams – Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Young QB Sam Bradford needs weapons to throw to and Jones fills that void.

15. Miami Dolphins – Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas
The 'Fins are in need of a franchise QB and they have one of the top four in this draft fall to them which is fortunate since Chad Henne has not panned out.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Cam Jordan, DE, Cal
Surprise pick Tyson Alualu helped shore up a shaky DL but the Jags still need more of a pass rush opposite Aaron Kampmann so they go back to the same program that produced Alualu..

17. New England Patriots – Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
Rob Ninkovich has performed well but an explosive OLB is needed to replace journeyman Tully Banta-Cain.

18. San Diego Chargers – Gabe Carimi, OT, USC
While the Chargers could use a pass rusher, they also desperately need to get the running game going and Clary just isn't helping at RT. Carimi is a big, massive mauler who would help open up running lanes for Ryan Matthews and company.

19. New York Giants – Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
Eli Manning was on his butt a lot last year so they bring in someone to protect him. Sherrod is extremely athletic and is solid in all aspects..

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
The Bucs invested two picks on their DL last year and go back to addressing that this year with Smith, whose an explosive pass rusher that they need when playing against Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.

21. Kansas City Chiefs – Justin Houston, LB, Georgia
Mike Vrabel is washed up and the Chiefs could use another pass rusher opposite Tamba Hali.

22. Indianapolis Colts – Tyron Smith, OT, USC
Charlie Johnson proved that he wasn't a LT this year and it was evident in the amount of pressure put on Peyton Manning. Smith is adept at pass protection and while he may need a few years to reach his potential he is worth taking.

23. Philadelphia Eagles – Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
The Eagles could also target OG/OT with this pick but their secondary was nothing to write home about and it needs help. Smith is shooting up drafts boards and would go far as to solidifying their secondary.

24. New Orleans Saints – Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
It was painfully evident that the Saints needed help at outside linebacker this year. Miller is an excellent blitzer and should excel in a Gregg William’s attacking scheme.

25. Seattle Seahawks – Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
Kelly Jennings is a FA and Marcus Trufant isn't the player he once was. Williams has a knack for making the big play and was tested by top competition.

26. Baltimore – Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
The Ravens could go in several directions here as they could use a top notch LT and another ILB but Heyward helps provide youth and depth along a DL and would seem to be an Ozzie Newsome pick.

27. Atlanta – Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
John Abraham is nearing the end of his career and there is nothing opposite him. Clayborn is solid at both rushing the pass rusher and stopping the run and should help secure the Falcons DL.

28. New England – Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
The Pats need help at RG and an eventual replacement for Dan Koppen at C. Wisniewski can come in and fill that void at RG and be groomed to take over for Koppen in a few years.

29. Chicago Bears – Marcus Cannon, OG, TCU
The Bears offensive line outperformed its talent level this year and there has been an issue for quite some time in the Windy City. Cannon can play either LG or LT and is a step towards protecting Jay Cutler.

30. New York Jets – Allen Bailey, DE, Miami
While the Jets could use a replacement RT, Rex Ryan's defense revolves around getting pressure up front on defense and they need to inject some talent there. Bailey is a freak of nature and should excel in an attacking scheme like the Jets run.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
Steelers fans would like Mike Pouncey but his stock seems to be dropping. One thing that fans of the Steel City can agree is that they need help along the O-line and Castonzo can step in and play either LT or RT, both of which are positions of need.

32. Green Bay Packers – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
While the Packers could use an OLB or CB, the value just isn't there with this pick. Current Packers LT Chad Clifton turns 35 before the start of next season. Although he signed a 3 year extension earlier in 2010 he will need to be replaced sooner than later. Solder fits the ZBS that Green Bay runs and would give them a pair of bookend tackles with last year's first round draft pick Brian Bulaga for many years to come.

49erNation85
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
just no no no just wow . SF DO NOT pass on Locker !!!!

diabsoule
01-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Before tweaking the mock I had Locker to SF but I think Gabbert's stock is highest right now

TACKLE
01-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Stop doing this.

I like Locker a lot, more than most. But the truth is, most scouts view him as a late 1st-2nd round pick. Can he rise with a great senior bowl/workouts/interviews/etc. ? Sure he can. But at this point he's not going to go as high as #7. Just because Locker is your favorite player in this draft and the 49ers are your favorite team, doesn't mean they can't or won't pass on Locker.

TheFinisher
01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
9. Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith, OT, USC
Smith should skyrocket up draft boards and Dallas is in desperate need of OL help. The Cowboys don't usually draft OL early in the draft but this year they should make an exception.

I just can't see Jerry taking an offensive lineman with a top 10 pick, especially since we already have our LT of the future. During Jerry's time with the Cowboys he has always addressed OL though FA, I just don't see him changing that here, especially since this would be reaching for a RT in the top 10. I wouldn't be opposed to Smith, but it's just not Jerry's style. JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan make more sense if we couldn't trade out.

Matthew Jones
01-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd get wet.

diabsoule
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I just can't see Jerry taking an offensive lineman with a top 10 pick, especially since we already have our LT of the future. During Jerry's time with the Cowboys he has always addressed OL though FA, I just don't see him changing that here, especially since this would be reaching for a RT in the top 10. I wouldn't be opposed to Smith, but it's just not Jerry's style. JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan make more sense if we couldn't trade out.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep that in mind for when I tweak this after the conference championship round.

Hines
01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Yes please on Pouncey.

ChicagoBearsVet23
01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Pouncey > Cannon

ATLDirtyBirds
01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
I've been thinking about Clayborne for us more and more. I'm not sure how I feel about tweeners with one year of production though. (coughJamaalAndersoncough)

BeerBaron
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
We must now fight because you've given the Bears a pick that makes too much sense to actually happen, thus getting my hopes up for a sensible selection.

Nalej
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Lovely pats mock

thebow305
01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Great Phins pick!

GB12
01-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Ughhh, no RB in the first.

diabsoule
01-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Ughhh, no RB in the first.

Why not? Just out of curiosity...

GB12
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Why not? Just out of curiosity...

We have Ryan Grant returning next year. All we need is a complimentary back, and that can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. We don't need to be wasting a first round pick on a RB. We don't have a ton of needs, but we do have positions more pressing than RB. An OLB, OT, or CB would be much better. I'd be alright going as high as the second only if it's for Leshoure or Williams, but no way in the first.

freebirdsrams02
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Sam Bradford to Julio Jones!!!!! I like it!!

diabsoule
01-17-2011, 11:20 PM
We have Ryan Grant returning next year. All we need is a complimentary back, and that can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. We don't need to be wasting a first round pick on a RB. We don't have a ton of needs, but we do have positions more pressing than RB. An OLB, OT, or CB would be much better. I'd be alright going as high as the second only if it's for Leshoure or Williams, but no way in the first.

Gotcha. I was close to giving you guys an OT or OLB but figured Ingram was too good a value.

bullg8rdaddy
01-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Orgasmic Bucs pick.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-17-2011, 11:56 PM
No complaints my man.

prock
01-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Yes please.

1funguy
01-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Just say no to Von Miller at 18.

scar988
01-18-2011, 07:16 AM
on the field, Claiborn is perfect for Atlanta's needs. Off the field however could disqualify him.

The_Dude
01-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes please.

I agree. I would be happiest with Locker out of the top QBs....

Poz51
01-18-2011, 10:05 AM
[B]3. Buffalo Bills Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The former LSU standout could play either CB or S and would be a best player available selection.

They did go "BPA" last year, from what they have said. So I could see this happening, and would not be upset with the situation currently at corner on this team. I do think "need" will play a bigger role in this draft, so they could easily go in another direction, so far Gailey has hinted a "franchise" QB is a possibility, and a great player regardless of scheme is a reality... ?? Im still not sure myself, although I would be shocked if they took another running back... If I had to put money on it, QB/front 7 help.

diabsoule
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Updated the mock.

vidae
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Great KC pick sir.

K Train
01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
not crazy about castonzo...interior oline is a bigger need, pouncey is a better pick. his stock as a guard isnt dropping, anyone looking at him as a pure center is going to be disappointed though

CJSchneider
01-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I could handle Miller as an addition to our currently weak LB corps, but are you sure he isn't better suited for a 3-4 D?

diabsoule
01-18-2011, 05:55 PM
not crazy about castonzo...interior oline is a bigger need, pouncey is a better pick. his stock as a guard isnt dropping, anyone looking at him as a pure center is going to be disappointed though

I know a lot of Steelers fans really like Pouncey but he's just not as good as his brother. Maurkice was much more dominant a force than Mike when he was in college and while I think Mike can play in the pros I don't see him as a first round pick.

If the Steelers are looking for a guard I would lean more towards DeMarcus Love or Rodney Hudson as they seem more like what the Steelers look for in their OL.

jCut
01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Realistic Denver draft. I can dig it.

diabsoule
01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
I could handle Miller as an addition to our currently weak LB corps, but are you sure he isn't better suited for a 3-4 D?

At first I had Paea but then I tweaked the selections a bit and Miller fell to us. I think Miller is athletic enough to adjust to a SAM role in an attacking 4-3 like Williams runs. He can cover TE's and is not a liability in coverage and his greatest strength is getting after the QB, which is what Gregg Williams likes doing. He won't fit in every 4-3 scheme but in ours I think he does.

1funguy
01-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Do you really think that AJ Smith is going to draft OL at 18? No way that happens. SD's 1st rounder will go to defense.

IF Smith addresses the OL at all, it won't be until our second 3rd rounder or day three.

diabsoule
01-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Do you really think that AJ Smith is going to draft OL at 18? No way that happens. SD's 1st rounder will go to defense.

IF Smith addresses the OL at all, it won't be until our second 3rd rounder or day three.

Which position will he address on the defense?

Menardo75
01-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Mocking a QB to the niners is tough cause you really don't know what Harbaugh is gonna do. I personally would rather have Locker but a QB to San Fran is the right pick.

Monomach
01-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Pouncey > Cannon

You're a crazy person.

Pouncey isn't even good.

Hermstheman83
01-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Not sure if we'd take an OLB. We got Studebaker who outplayed Vrabel this year. Sheffield could be that additional pass rusher. I think after getting handled by good defensive lines, we need to upgrade our offensive line. I would go with a center, or right tackle. We could also go with a wide out too.

Then again, if this guy ends up being like Jared Mayo, I guess I'll be content with the selection :) Good job man.

coordinator0
01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
With Mattison gone and Pagano supposedly being more aggressive I can't say that Heyward would be a bad pick. Wisniewski or Cannon would probably be more of an upgrade at RT/RG/C than Heyward would be at DE, but Heyward seems like a pretty solid pick. A future line of Ngata/Cody/Heyward does look awfully nice on paper.