PDA

View Full Version : Positional Value

MI_Buckeye
01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I just posted a long message about positional value, full of my own thoughts about what I have seen in mock drafts lately, and how I can not believe AJ Green will go No. 1 overall. unfortunately, it got erased, and I dont feel like restating myself.

In short, I have created my own postional value chart that I think will be insrtuctive in anticipating how the draft might go. Without further adieu, i give you my rough, working copy of the positional value chart

Quarterback
Left Tackle
Pass rusher (4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB)
Cornerback
Interrior D Linemen (3-4 NTs grade out a hair more valuable)
Wide Receiver
Right Tackle
Running Back
Safety
4-3 Outside Linebacker
Inside linebacker
Tight End
Offensive Guard
Center
Raw skill athletes with undefined positions
Returnmen
Special teams players
Fullback
Kicker
Punter

Tell me what you think.

AntoinCD
01-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Im not sure there is a set chart where this can be measured. Some teams will value positions differently. I know someone who is of the opinion that only three positions should be drafted in the top 3 picks; QB, LT and DE.

As I said it all depends. The New England Patriots value defensive linemen over most positions. The Colts seem to value skill positions.

Im actually interested why you have both OG and C so low. If anything I would say they are more important than a lot of others

MI_Buckeye
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Im not sure there is a set chart where this can be measured. Some teams will value positions differently. I know someone who is of the opinion that only three positions should be drafted in the top 3 picks; QB, LT and DE.

As I said it all depends. The New England Patriots value defensive linemen over most positions. The Colts seem to value skill positions.

Im actually interested why you have both OG and C so low. If anything I would say they are more important than a lot of others

I tried to make more of a general value board, rather than how I believe postions should be valued. If you look at most drafts, there are only 1-2 interrior O linemen drafted in the first round each year, and maybe another 2-3 in the second.

I know teams value positions differently, but I am sort of trying to be very general here.

Also, I forgot to reinclude the all-around defensive ends, guys who are good players but not elite pass rushers. They should go between right tackle and running back.

brasho
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't believe an OG only should ever be selected in round 1 and only exceptional OGs should be chosen at all. Steve Hutchinson is one guy that played OG that actually panned out as a 1st round OG. For the most part, good OGs can be found late in the draft (either at OT switches or because they were solid OGs) or as UDFAs.

Centers CAN be selected in round 1, but only late and if they are exceptional.

RBs shouldn't be taken in round 1 unless they are exceptional as well, Adrian Peterson-esque/TOmlinson-like, Chris Johnson late in round 1 was solid, but seriously, what have Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams, Moreno and an entire cast of decent RBs done that late round guys or undrafted guys like Ryan Grant, Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, LeGarrette Blount haven't? I theorize that there is an average of no less than 2 potential 1000 yard RBs on every roster in the NFL, they just have to get the ball enough, but there are very few exceptional RBs,... and the ones that are, the majority of them were not drafted high.

I think coversely that QBs, LTs, man coverage CBs, and pass rushing DEs are the highest in value but in no particular order-based on the individuals involved and the individual team needs.

brasho
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't think you can grade out exceptional RTs higher than exceptional 4-3 Wills or even exceptional RBs. You can take a pretty good collegiate LT and put him at RT, plus you have the really good RTs that could play RT (or OG).

I would definitely put center over guard and RT just in front of RT. Plus, you have to consider some of the individual prospects and where historically they have been chosen. I'm sure we've seen as many or more pass catching TEs taken in round 1 than RTs only.

JHL6719
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Without getting into a philosophical debate on the value of all these positions (as it changes too much from team to team), I think there's 3 "cornerstone" positions that are worthy of going 1st overall... quarterback, left tackle, defensive end.

Overall, I think center is a more valuable position than guard, the center is the one that's making the line calls, etc.. and I think all things being equal, the center position is more valuable.

Also, I think I'd have the TE position much higher. It's critical to be able to control the middle of the field and dictate how safeties play your offense. You can't do that without a weapon at the tight end position.

Other than that, I tend to agree with how you have the positions valued, for the most part.

Morton
01-18-2011, 01:22 PM
The flowchart in the first round of the draft goes like this, based on what position is currently stable or not on your team:

QB --------------------> DL --> OL ------> CB --> WR ----> trade down

Those are the only positions you really should be drafting in the first round, IMHO. You must prioritize QB above all else unless you have a franchise QB on your roster and you are comfortable that he is capable of taking your team to a Super Bowl. Then you need to fortify your defensive and offensive lines. Obviously, OL means LT/RT only, unless it's an extraordinary C that can do it all. DL means DT or DE, but they absolutely must be able to pass-rush and not just play the run, unless it's a massive 3-4 NT. A CB or a WR can be taken in the first round only if your QB position is solidified, and so are your lines, or the linemen available in that spot are mediocre. A first round CB must be able to run a 4.4 40 or better, and must have high-level cover skills. A first round WR can be taken as high as top5, but he must be a complete WR (6'1" or taller and 210lbs or more) that can run any route and go over the middle without sacrificing speed to catch the deep ball.

RB, LB, FS, SS, OG, K, P, TE can all be taken from the 2nd round down, based on their talent and your need. Occasionally, a LB *can* be taken in the first round, but only if you run a 3-4 and he's a pass-rushing OLB, or if you run a 4-3 and he's a special MLB or WLB - a *complete* player that can play both the run and the pass, and has both size and speed (an Urlacher type, for instance) and has the instincts and leadership to adopt a critical role on your defense.

killxswitch
01-18-2011, 01:31 PM
If I were to make a "list" I wouldn't really do a list at all, but rather tiers of value. QB would be it's own 1st tier, followed by LT on its own tier #2. Beyond that it would be a tier of 2-4 positions each. Too many variables to say this or that position is definitely more important.