PDA

View Full Version : Villanova WR Matt Szczur Chooses MLB Over NFL

diabsoule
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Scott's #9 WR and a small school gem has decided to forgo an NFL career instead signing a $1.5 million deal with the Chicago Cubs where he joins former Notre Dame standout Jeff Samardzija

I have a link but it's to another draft source so I won't post it here.

niel89
01-18-2011, 09:31 PM
damn, I know a lot of people liked him. Best of luck in baseball.

Chidi29
01-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Awe. That sucks. Really liked the kid.

derza222
01-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Bonus got bumped up from $500k to $1.5 million. Lot of money to turn down, especially if he'd be a mid-round pick which was what was expected. Nothing definite in this article, just citing internet reports, but here's a writeup:

http://vuhoops.com/2011/01/18/matt-szczur-will-forgo-an-nfl-career/

CashmoneyDrew
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Smart move.

If a team really liked him, they could just take Randall Cobb a little earlier and be more than happy with him.

NotRickJames
01-19-2011, 12:10 AM
With Broyles out, I thought he'd be the best slot receiver in the draft. Bummer. Given the NFL injury concerns and that mess, I can't fault him for his annoying decision, even though I hate baseball.

I'm still bitter over Jeff Samardzija.

akvikefan89
01-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Those Cubs hate the NFL.

jrdrylie
01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
I hope he is more successful than Jeff Samardzija has been so far. Alfonso Soriano is getting up there in age and will need replacing pretty soon.

Scott Wright
01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Can't say this is a surprising developing as there were plenty of rumors that Szczur was leaning toward a career in baseball for many months now. I'm still disappointed though as Szczur was definitely one of my favorite prospects in the Class of 2011. My prospect crush, if you will.

I'm glad he made this decision now though so another prospect who wants to pursue a pro football career will have the opportunity to showcase themselves at the Senior Bowl.

Cecil Shorts III, please come on down (hopefully)!

Babylon
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Scott's #9 WR and a small school gem has decided to forgo an NFL career instead signing a $1.5 million deal with the Chicago Cubs where he joins former Notre Dame standout Jeff Samardzija

I have a link but it's to another draft source so I won't post it here.

I guess without question the Cubbies have the best set of WRs in all of baseball.

Other than a QB here and there (Elway, Locker) the majority of guys like the potential longer careers and money that baseball has to offer. Still wonder how guys like Kirk Gibson and Dave Winfield would have done in the NFL.

JaxJag_1
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Loved this kid, sad to see him not enter the NFL draft. Best of luck to him in Chicago with the Cubbies though.

ElectricEye
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Damn. I really, really liked him as a slot receiver at the next level. Should be a good outfielder.

brasho
01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I guess without question the Cubbies have the best set of WRs in all of baseball.

Other than a QB here and there (Elway, Locker) the majority of guys like the potential longer careers and money that baseball has to offer. Still wonder how guys like Kirk Gibson and Dave Winfield would have done in the NFL.

Frank Thomas, Phil Bradley, Brian Jordan, Jeffrey Hammond, Jim Traber... why stick to baseball? Charlie Ward...this list could go on and on.

BTW, Kirk Gibson was a china doll in baseball... I'm sure football wouldn't have been very kind to him.

K Train
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
he totally chose the easier sport, in my opinion anyway.

if they ever have a pickup game of football though they got some good targets to throw to lol

Babylon
01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Frank Thomas, Phil Bradley, Brian Jordan, Jeffrey Hammond, Jim Traber... why stick to baseball? Charlie Ward...this list could go on and on.

BTW, Kirk Gibson was a china doll in baseball... I'm sure football wouldn't have been very kind to him.

I dont remember Gibson having any real health issues while he was with the Tigers, which would have been till he was around 30. He was 6-3 215 with 4.29 speed on turf, Bucko Kilroy, old head scout for the Pats, said he was the fastest white guy they had ever timed. Jist a tidbit there.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-19-2011, 07:10 PM
In case anyone was wondering:

He is an awfully talented baseball player. If he would have been eligible for this years MLB draft - he would have been without a doubt a first round draft choice.

The Cubs have one of the best farm systems in baseball and he is likely right around their #5th best prospect now. Very intriguing baseball prospect.

ChiFan24
01-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Thank God. Makes the loss of Guyer hurt less from a Cubs fan's perspective.

Chidi29
01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Chicago stole another receiver. First Samardzija and now Szczur.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Has any college football player opted for MLB, then later decided to play in the NFL??

Besides that QB from Michigan...can't remember his name.

VoteLynnSwan
01-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Thank God. Makes the loss of Guyer hurt less from a Cubs fan's perspective.

Guyer isn't a huge loss given the outfield talent in the system. Also, I'm not convinced his year wasn't a fluke. He's never shown THAT before. He's also a bit old for a prospect.

Chris Archer is the real loss.

VoteLynnSwan
01-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Has any college football player opted for MLB, then later decided to play in the NFL??

Drew Henson

also Chad Hutchinson

Babylon
01-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Josh Booty was by some a more highly regarded QB coming out of H.S. in Louisiana, He ended up playing MLB for the Marlins and after a short stay went to LSU to play football, he kicked around for a couple of years with Seattle, Cleveland etc.

Danny Ainge opted for baseball out of BYU with the BlueJays, after having some difficulty hitting a curve ball he ended up going Bball with the Celtics and i guess the rest is history.

wogitalia
01-19-2011, 09:51 PM

I believe Oklahoma State's QB this season also was a washed up MLB prospect who decided to go back to school and get an education/play football.

ChiFan24
01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Guyer isn't a huge loss given the outfield talent in the system. Also, I'm not convinced his year wasn't a fluke. He's never shown THAT before. He's also a bit old for a prospect.

Chris Archer is the real loss.

Agreed about Archer. It's just nice to add another good prospect at no real cost after losing four of them.

Sucks that he can't play both though. He was really fun to watch at Nova.