PDA

View Full Version : NFL announces their complete list of players who declared for the draft

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc8b55/article/record-56-players-granted-draft-eligibility?module=HP_headlines

JHL6719
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I never really understood why underclassmen who declare aren't able to participate in these "All-Star" games.

Doesn't NFL teams, and the prospects themselves, deserve the opportunity to be evaluated, and evaluate these underclassmen under the same scope as the Senior prospects?

It just seems like teams could gather more information, and get a better understanding of these kids if they were allowed to participate in something other than the combine and pro day workouts.

Crickett
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I never really understood why underclassmen who declare aren't able to participate in these "All-Star" games.

I understand why underclassmen wouldn't be able to play in the senior bowl, but IMO, they should be able to play in the east-west shrine game.

Nalej
01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
SPECIAL ELIGIBILITY = underclassmen?

shylo3716
01-19-2011, 02:01 PM
IMO more & more seniors each year lose out on potential roster spots due to the underclassmen. I feel that it's only right that they do not get the luxury of being evaluated in All-Star Games.

Some may agree some may disagree but I think it's fair.

BeerBaron
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Remember also, that most of the underclassmen who declare already believe themselves to be first round picks and likely wouldn't want to risk injury or other damage to their stock by participating.

JHL6719
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I understand the point about underclassmen already being viewed as high picks, otherwise they wouldn't declare.

My point was that I think the NFL teams themselves would be the one's who benefit most by having the opportunity to evaluate these underclassmen in more of a pro setting, other than just "watching the tape", (especially if he's a one year wonder) which is available on the Seniors as well.

They get to evaluate these Seniors in All-Star Games and see how they respond to professional coaching, etc., and get a first hand look at how they work in certain systems. They get to put them through a week of drills and practice, followed by playing in a game after receiving a week's worth of coaching, drills, practice, etc.

I think NFL teams could learn a lot more about these underclassmen if they were allowed to participate in the same type thing, other than just going to the combine and seeing how high they can jump and how fast they can run.

Hell, with the amount of underclassmen that declare nowdays usually being in the 40-50 range anyway, they could have their own All-Star Game to participate in if they prefer not to allow them in the Senior Bowl, etc.

I think it would go a long way into getting more of a handle on some of these underclassmen. It's just a thought that always crossed my mind.

Ghost of Juice
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Why would Will Hill Declare?

BeerBaron
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I understand the point about underclassmen already being viewed as high picks, otherwise they wouldn't declare.

My point was that I think the NFL teams themselves would be the one's who benefit most by having the opportunity to evaluate these underclassmen in more of a pro setting, other than just "watching the tape", (especially if he's a one year wonder) which is available on the Seniors as well.

They get to evaluate these Seniors in All-Star Games and see how they respond to professional coaching, etc., and get a first hand look at how they work in certain systems. They get to put them through a week of drills and practice, followed by playing in a game after receiving a week's worth of coaching, drills, practice, etc.

I think NFL teams could learn a lot more about these underclassmen if they were allowed to participate in the same type thing, other than just going to the combine and seeing how high they can jump and how fast they can run.

Hell, with the amount of underclassmen that declare nowdays usually being in the 40-50 range anyway, they could have their own All-Star Game to participate in if they prefer not to allow them in the Senior Bowl, etc.

I think it would go a long way into getting more of a handle on some of these underclassmen. It's just a thought that always crossed my mind.

Right, the NFL would benefit majorly if every prospect participated in a pre-draft all star game....but the players wouldn't go for it, especially the already highly rated underclassmen, which most of them are (or think they are.)

So most wouldn't do it. Seeing Cam Newton throwing to AJ Green handing the ball off to Mark Ingram would be pretty cool, but none of them would go for it.

Iamcanadian
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
The Senior Bowl and the East West Shrine game among others, and the NFL, simply don't want to piss off the NCAA, so they continue to ignore juniors in the post season all star bowl games.

shylo3716
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Why would Will Hill Declare?

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43320