PDA

View Full Version : Jones/Green Poll

PhinPhan
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Jones/Green reminds me a lot of Johnson/Rogers in '03.

shylo3716
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
What kind of poll is this?

PhinPhan
01-19-2011, 04:02 PM
What kind of poll is this?

A voting poll....in which you vote for the Wide Receiver you think will have a better NFL career.

But hey, nobody's got a gun to your head.

Saints-Tigers
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Jones/Green reminds me a lot of Johnson/Rogers in '03.

How so?

Rogers and Johnson were both monster prospects with high level production and physical tools.

Julio doesn't have the on field results to stack up to those guys, AJ Green does, kind of.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Well a lot depends on where each play winds up on draft day. A.J. Green is the slightly better prospect and he comes without the baggage of Charles Rogers.

PhinPhan
01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
How so?

Rogers and Johnson were both monster prospects with high level production and physical tools.

Julio doesn't have the on field results to stack up to those guys, AJ Green does, kind of.

It reminded me of Rogers/Johnson when Scott, who's opinion I respect, dubbed him the best player in the draft today. I assumed that means he is a pretty monstrous prospect. I haven't watched enough of green to confirm this, which is the reason I made this poll. I was interested in hearing the general consensus

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
How so?

On what planet was A.J. Green much more productive than Julio Jones this season?

Since AJ missed games due to a suspension, the numbers won't really stack up so I need to give you just averages...

Julio - 6.0 rec 87.1 yds 14.5 ypc
Green - 6.3 rec 94.2 yds 14.9 ypc

Worth noting is Jones played most of the season with an injured hand, yet he missed no time. Green is the better prospect in my opinion, but Julio put up marginally smaller numbers than him despite operating in a run-heavy offense. Andre Johnson as a prospect was more of a big-play guy for Miami, but he trailed Jones in both yards and receptions while in the last year of their college careers.

I'm not saying this is very telling about the prospects, but when people talk about Jones like he wasn't a productive college football player it makes me wonder if I was the only one to catch Alabama games this season.

Duffman57
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
How so?

Um. how so? Andre Johnson's best year was his Jr. Year where he put up 1038 yards. Julio Jones has the measurable to stack up with Johnson as well. Green doesn't have elite measurables (probably run in the mid to late 4.4's, at around 6'4" 210-215), but is a much better football player than the other guys. Just is so natural athletically.

Rogers was a freak in College and put up monster stats, but that obviously didn't help the guy in the Pro's. Julio has MUCH better numbers that Johnson does...

K Train
01-19-2011, 04:20 PM
ive been on board with jones for a while now....i clearly see what people see in green but i personally would rather have jones, i think he'll be a much better pro than college player and he wasnt a slouch in college, just didnt have the elite production youd look for

armageddon
01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
McShay and Kiper both have Julio to the Rams at #14. He could put up huge numbers in the McDaniels run offense in St.Louis with Bradford as long as the Rams don't sign Rice or VJax. But I actually hope they do sign one of those two and draft Julio.

Don Vito
01-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I was actually going to post something about this earlier. I am huge fans of both, but I think Jones will be the better pro. They both could be studs but Jones is the total package and he has a better chance at ending up on a decent team, I would love it if the Pats took him.

BengalsPwn
01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Julio drops too many catch able balls to be in AJ's league as a prospect. Ive seen AJ get obliterated by a safety and still hold onto a poorly thrown ball. The only edge Julio has on AJ is probably his YAC potential bc of his developed physique. Green has better hands, route running, vertical, body control, and they probably have equal speed.

K Train
01-19-2011, 04:55 PM
idk about better vertical....jones has some serious hops on him

JHL6719
01-19-2011, 05:09 PM
I think they're both going to be outstanding pros and contribute right away.

Green because of his size, athletic ability, outstanding vertical, precise and polished route running, elite hands and concentration.

Julio because of his physicality, speed, blocking, incredible catch radius, toughness, willingness to play through injuries, strength and upside.

Julio still has a tendency to drop easy passes that hit him right in the hands, particularly only on quick screens, etc. when he's looking to make something happen immediately with the ball in his hands. He doesn't drop many passes at all when you get him out into his route. Oh, and he's a full grown man already... has been since he came out of high school.

Both of these kids have been studs since day one.

Two of the better WR prospects, and two of my personal favorites in recent years.

JustDezIT
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Dez Bryant >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Calvin Johnson>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everybody else.

armageddon
01-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Dez Bryant >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Calvin Johnson>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everybody else.

Calvin > Julio > AJ > Dez

CashmoneyDrew
01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Calvin>AJ>Crabtree>Dez>Julio

That's how I see those guys as prospects.

K Train
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
well if were putting it in mathematical terms id go like this

Calvin>>>>>>Green>=Julio>Dez>Crabtree

ElectricEye
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I have no idea what the hell people are talking about when they claim Julio Jones wasn't productive....He played in a run first offense with a pure game manager at quarterback.

TACKLE
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
As prospects:

Calvin>Dez>Crabtree>AJ=Julio

Though its only a matter of time until Dez is the best WR in the game.

K Train
01-19-2011, 05:49 PM
im much much much higher on green and julio than i was on crabtree.

calvin is just in a class all by himself still though

but i love me some julio jones....i hope he stays out of the afc north

armageddon
01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
im much much much higher on green and julio than i was on crabtree.

calvin is just in a class all by himself still though

but i love me some julio jones....i hope he stays out of the afc north

Hopefully the Rams will see to that.

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Top 5 Receivers I've graded (since 07)

1. Calvin Johnson
2. A.J. Green
3. Dez Bryant
4. Julio Jones
5. Jeremy Maclin
(6. Michael Crabtree)

JustDezIT
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
LMFAO LOL at everyone who put Jones and Crabtree ahead of Dez. What a fail.

And to the one guy who has Jones over Green LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dannyz
Julio turned it on this year. Watch the Game against Auburn where they just threw him the ball and he made a big play. I know their Secondary sucked but they did just win the NC.

K Train
Top 5 Receivers I've graded (since 07)

1. Calvin Johnson
2. A.J. Green
3. Dez Bryant
4. Julio Jones
5. Jeremy Maclin
(6. Michael Crabtree)

damn...no ted ginn? lol

ThePudge
01-19-2011, 06:09 PM
damn...no ted ginn? lol

hahaha Ted Ginn is the exact reason I decided not to post my Top 10.

SenorGato
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
ive been on board with jones for a while now....i clearly see what people see in green but i personally would rather have jones, i think he'll be a much better pro than college player and he wasnt a slouch in college, just didnt have the elite production youd look for

This.

What clinches it for me is that Jones is bigger. I'm not 100% sure whether Green is so much better than Jones that size is taken out of the equation. Jones has got a more study, NFL-esque build too that should hold up to hits and such better.

Saints-Tigers
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Julio has one really productive year. Would have liked to see more scores over his career.

I think I remember Andre Johnson having like 10 TDs on like 35 catches or some ****.

Either way, Julio is just as talented as any of them, but he'll be the only one to not be top 5, and that says something. He might be the most physically talented to be honest.

Granted, after workouts, I won't be surprised if Julio makes a big leap

K Train
01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
TOs senior year he had 43 receptions for 667 yards and one touchdown

i really see alot of TO in jones....hes a crushing blocker, makes the circus catch but doesnt necessarily have to best hands but hes a terror after the catch and a big target.

he seems to be a good kid and i think the excuses for him as being their only target and playing in a run offense with a less than average QB are pretty legit....hed have the skewed numbers if he played in a crabtree TT offense

Saints-Tigers
01-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't disagree.

yourfavestoner
01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I still see Reggie Williams all over again when I see Jones. He tracks the ball in the air much better than Williams, but I still really question his ability to sink his hips and separate at the NFL level.

Remember, too, that Williams was called a TO clone coming out of Washington.

SenorGato
01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
As prospects:

Calvin>Dez>Crabtree>AJ=Julio

Though its only a matter of time until Dez is the best WR in the game.

Also, this.

Dez = The man. If he came out this year, he'd be the #1 guy.

YFS, any and every WR prospect in the 6'2 220+ range will get compared to TO, especially when their name first starts getting out there.

K Train
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Also, this.

Dez = The man. If he came out this year, he'd be the #1 guy.

dez would still have the same ???? around him.

i said last year that there was a solid chance that if dez came out his year hed be the 4th-5th guy after Green, jones, Floyd, baldwin....alot has changed since then with this class still being potentially incredible, it doesnt have the "big 4" hype it did 6 months ago when 3-4 guys were looked at as possible top 5 grades.

dez is sick though, had he played college ball this year with blackmon who knows what kind of crazy numbers he could have put up

dannyz
01-19-2011, 09:07 PM
dez would still have the same ???? around him.

i said last year that there was a solid chance that if dez came out his year hed be the 4th-5th guy after Green, jones, Floyd, baldwin....alot has changed since then with this class still being potentially incredible, it doesnt have the "big 4" hype it did 6 months ago when 3-4 guys were looked at as possible top 5 grades.

dez is sick though, had he played college ball this year with blackmon who knows what kind of crazy numbers he could have put up

But would Baldwin have put up the same #'s or be as good as he was this year with DEZ?