PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton and Nick Fairley Highlights - Where Do They Go

bluemoon22
01-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Hey all, I'm a Diehard Auburn and college football fan. However, I don't pay attention to the NFL at all. I've seen what the so called "experts" on bspn have predicted Cam and Fairley, and am interested in whether people really think they are that good.

I think Fairley is ready to go, but Cam has some more work to do. In the link to his highlights from every game below, you can see his throwing improved dramatically from the beginning to the end of the season. I think he hold onto the ball to long on many occasions and he throws off his back foot...actually, his footwork in general needs work.

Anyways, just wandering what people that follow the NFL Draft closely thought about the two. Enjoy their SWEET HIGHLIGHTS BELOW!!!

War Damn Eagle!

2010 Auburn Tigers: Cameron (Cam) Newton Heisman Trophy Highlights (http://whosright.com/poll/2010-auburn-tigers-cameron-(cam)-newton-heisman-trophy-highlights)

2010 Auburn Tigers: Nick Fairley Lombardi Award Winning Highlights (http://whosright.com/poll/2010-auburn-tigers-nick-fairley-lombardi-award-winning-highlights)

SimonRath
01-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Nick Fairley is obviously gonna go top 3. I dont see how anyone can argue that.
As far as Cam Newton, I can see him going as high as Buffalo but most likely mid to late first round.

scpanther22
01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Fairley could go #1 overall to the Panthers.

TACKLE
01-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Who neg repped this guy? He didn't do anything wrong. I would bring him back to scratch if I could give out rep right now.

Chidi29
01-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Fairley is the most dominant player in the draft. With Luck staying, he should go #1 overall to a team that needs DT even more than it needs a DE.

Newton's measurables and physical ability are obviously off the charts, but his accuracy is poor especially when he isn't able to throw off of a sound foundation. A perfect example of that occurred against Kentucky. 3rd and 1 playfake. Kentucky gets a free blitzer, forcing Newton to throw off his back foot into the flats to the FB. Completely missed him. You want to be able to step into every throw, to have a clean pocket at all times, but it isn't always going to happen. For a guy that can improvise in the running game, he can't when asked to improvise when throwing.

His footwork can get sloppy too. Doesn't step into every throw and will throw off his backfoot when he doesn't have to.

It seems like a simple offense too. Maybe you can speak more to that since you're an Auburn fan. Zone reads and bubble screens. Going back to the Kentucky game, I think only one or two of his passes traveled more than ten yards in the air.

I've been toying around with the idea of mocking him to Minnesota at 12. West Coast is a good fit for mobile quarterbacks. It's also been stated by new OC Bill Musgrave that he wants to run a simplified offense. Accuracy would be the biggest counterpoint to Newton playing in a West Coast, but it's not a bad fit.

CashmoneyDrew
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Who neg repped this guy? He didn't do anything wrong. I would bring him back to scratch if I could give out rep right now.

Bammer fan maybe?

Nick Fairley
Best Scenario: Number 1 overall.
Worst Scenario: Number 4 overall.

Cam Newton
Best Scenario: Number 5 overall.
Worst Scenario: Middle of the first.

ThePudge
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Nick Fairley
Best Scenario: 1st Overall
Worst Scenario: 7th Overall

Cam Newton
Worst Scenario: 12th Overall

I think Fairley could fall because of potential character concerns. I think the 1st Pick will come down to Nick Fairley and the #1 Quarterback (who I believe to be Newton.)

TheMorningZoo
01-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Nick Fairley

Cam Newton

I think Fairley could fall because of potential character concerns. I think the 1st Pick will come down to Nick Fairley and the #1 Quarterback (who I believe to be Newton.)

In regards to the 1st Pick I have to disagree, I can see Fairley being the 1st pick overall, and Quarterback WOULD make sense (but I feel their are too many question marks about each prospect and would be a reach). However like many believe Defensive End is a problem for the panthers, Everette Brown should be able to potentially improve as he turned it on at the end of the season and Charles Johnson is solid. So what does this mean? Fairley would be the Defensive pick if they decide to target that area, and I truly feel A.J Green will be the pick. Regardless of the Steve Smith scenario, Carolina needs a proven #1 as Gettis and LaFell are not it. Whether they stick with Clausen or not Green would still be around next year and could greatly improve a lackluster Offense.

So Fairley or AJ Green for the Panthers (maybe trade down to #4 with Cinci and take a QB ?)

bluemoon22
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Fairley is the most dominant player in the draft. With Luck staying, he should go #1 overall to a team that needs DT even more than it needs a DE.

Newton's measurables and physical ability are obviously off the charts, but his accuracy is poor especially when he isn't able to throw off of a sound foundation. A perfect example of that occurred against Kentucky. 3rd and 1 playfake. Kentucky gets a free blitzer, forcing Newton to throw off his back foot into the flats to the FB. Completely missed him. You want to be able to step into every throw, to have a clean pocket at all times, but it isn't always going to happen. For a guy that can improvise in the running game, he can't when asked to improvise when throwing.

His footwork can get sloppy too. Doesn't step into every throw and will throw off his backfoot when he doesn't have to.

It seems like a simple offense too. Maybe you can speak more to that since you're an Auburn fan. Zone reads and bubble screens. Going back to the Kentucky game, I think only one or two of his passes traveled more than ten yards in the air.

I've been toying around with the idea of mocking him to Minnesota at 12. West Coast is a good fit for mobile quarterbacks. It's also been stated by new OC Bill Musgrave that he wants to run a simplified offense. Accuracy would be the biggest counterpoint to Newton playing in a West Coast, but it's not a bad fit.

That's sounds like how I would describe Cam's throwing. He has an arm, but his footwork is a mess. I generally, don't think I trust running quarterbacks yet. Until one proves he can win in the NFL, I think it is a risk.

Our offense is fairly simple. There are a lot of formations, motions, and looks we give the defense presnap, but the actual plays aren't that complicated. In the Spread Option, Cam makes one read on the DE and either gives it up or takes off. We also run a lot of Bubble and WR screens.

Cam is going to need to have his mechanics and footwork "coached up." I think he has the arm strength possibly be a great QB one day, but he has to be motivated and work hard. I would guess it will take him 2 or 3 years to be ready.

bluemoon22
01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Nick Fairley

Cam Newton

Ya, Fairley can his emotions get the best of him. He committed a couple of personal fouls that were uncalled for, but he has never been in trouble off of the field.

And Cam's charactar.....

ThePudge
01-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Ya, Fairley can his emotions get the best of him. He committed a couple of personal fouls that were uncalled for, but he has never been in trouble off of the field.

And Cam's charactar.....

Yea that's a big part of it for Fairley, his discipline on the field. He's not the smartest guy either, and while I don't think that will prevent him from being a great pro, I think it's a concern when you're drafting 1st Overall looking for a face for your franchise. Though he's had no problems off the field, I still worry when you're putting a lot of a money in the guy's pockets despite only one year of production, a lack of intelligence, and a history of letting emotions get the best of him on the field.

Newton's character I'm still not sure about. With no proof that he's done anything illegal since his year at Florida, it's nice to believe he's a guy that saw the light and grew up a bit. He has a personality that has captured some and was beloved by his coaches & teammates at Auburn. During the draft process he strikes me as a guy that might be able to say all the right things. How he reacts in the face of NFL personnel in interviews/visits will be perhaps bigger for his draft stock than his actual workout. There are still concerns that he was involved in illegal activities at Auburn and may have more maturity questions than I think. Still, this past year there was little doubt that he was a tremendous leader for the Tigers and consistently cool in the face of adversity.

Chidi29
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Yea that's a big part of it for Fairley, his discipline on the field. He's not the smartest guy either, and while I don't think that will prevent him from being a great pro, I think it's a concern when you're drafting 1st Overall looking for a face for your franchise. Though he's had no problems off the field, I still worry when you're putting a lot of a money in the guy's pockets despite only one year of production, a lack of intelligence, and a history of letting emotions get the best of him on the field.

Newton's character I'm still not sure about. With no proof that he's done anything illegal since his year at Florida, it's nice to believe he's a guy that saw the light and grew up a bit. He has a personality that has captured some and was beloved by his coaches & teammates at Auburn. During the draft process he strikes me as a guy that might be able to say all the right things. How he reacts in the face of NFL personnel in interviews/visits will be perhaps bigger for his draft stock than his actual workout. There are still concerns that he was involved in illegal activities at Auburn and may have more maturity questions than I think. Still, this past year there was little doubt that he was a tremendous leader for the Tigers and consistently cool in the face of adversity.

Not that I'm making this comparison, but remember that Joe Greene was quite the hothead in his first few years with the Steelers. Part of that did stem from being on a losing team, but he "lost it" many times throughout hiis career. He punted the ball into the stands towards the end of being blown out against the Oilers and threatened to leave training camp multiple times.

*One correction I want to make in a previous post I made. I said it was the Kentucky game where his passes rarely traveled downfield. I was wrong. Looking back on my notes, that happened against LSU.

Caulibflower
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Nick Fairley makes me think of Warren Sapp.

DBNYDP
01-22-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm not a Newton fan but the guy doesn't seem like a terrible guy. As far as character concerns go they aren't a huge factor in my judgment regarding him.
I have a problem with his ability to make reads, terrible footwork, reliance on just using his arm (when throwing), and questions regarding his touch

bluemoon22
01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
If I was an owner, I would have deep concerns with Cam's off the field drama. He comes across as a very good kid with a very charismatic and likable personality, but there is a dark cloud around him everywhere he has been. We will never know what really happened in Florida or in his recruiting out of Blinn Junior College. He seems to always find himself in controversy.

Even being an Auburn fan and wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt and, in part because he has such a likable personality, wanting to believe that he really did "turn his life around" at Blinn, it's hard. Reminds me of something my Dad used to tell me when I was younger.."some people are just a $h_t magnets. They might seem like good people and have good intentions, but trouble always finds them. Have fun but avoid these people because they'll get you in trouble." And that's kind of how Cam seems to be.

I don't think Fairley is too much concern. He might get a few personal fouls because he gets mad, but after those personal fouls he goes wild in games and starts destroying the opponents offensive lines. He feeds off of it. He just has a bad temper and he'll let it get to him, but it doesn't linger. It's like he snaps and then controls and uses it. You want the other team to trash talk him and get under his skin. You just hope he doesn't snap and do something stupid.

Fairley wasn't the smartest in school and didn't qualify at AU initially, but he doesn't get in trouble. So I don't see why it really matters. I've never heard of anything to make me think he loses his temper off the field such as getting in fights, domestic disputes, etc.