PDA

View Full Version : 1/22 - Mock Draft Updated!

Scott Wright
01-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I just made my fourth mock draft of the year, and the first post-underclassmen deadline, live!

2011 Mock Draft - v.4.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Scott Wright
01-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I am hitting the sack right after I post this because I am leaving for the airport in a few hours. I will be traveling all morning on my way to beautiful Mobile, Alabama to cover the Senior Bowl so I may not be able to stop by and respond to questions / comments until Saturday afternoon.

Just wanted to let everyone know so people don't think I’m ignoring them!

Master Exploder
01-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Man, I was going to stay up all night for this! This is a very pleasant suprise! Thanks a lot Scott!

D-Unit
01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I was gonna say in the Von Miller thread that I bet you'd have him going to the Bills. But I thought that was too gutsy! WOW WOW WOW!

akvikefan89
01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Holy Von Miller, Batman!

Love that we get a QB, but can't say that I would be pleased with Newton > Locker. I could live with it, though.

vidae
01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't dislike the KC pick because RT could be improved, but I don't think it's big enough to warrant a first round selection. Justin Houston would be a much much better pick for KC. We're a couple of players away from having a very good defense and outside of Tamba we can't get to the QB. OLB is arguably our biggest need (tied with WR, imo) and I can't believe they'd pass on Houston for a RT.

keylime_5
01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Von Miller is probably gonna go in the top 12 picks, but I just can't imagine him going #3, that's crazy. I love Miller, he has awesome glasses and is a beast...but if a pass rushing OLB is gonna go that high, it probably won't be an undersized one. Maybe an athletic freak like Robert Quinn, but Miller #3???? wow.

Spot on Cleveland analysis Scott. We are sitting pretty for a good player to fall into our laps at #6 and we certainly could use any of the top players: Bowers, Quinn, Green, Peterson, Amukamara, Dareus, Fairley, Jones, etc.

shylo3716
01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Scott,

PP not in the Top 5 is strange....

I also cannot see San Francisco passing up on a QB when they have a chance to snatch 1/4 available.(Strange also)

PossibleCabbage
01-21-2011, 09:27 PM
So, does the order for picks 29-32 indicate the fact that you're picking the home teams this weekend, or are you just ordering the final four teams by record?

Would any of those picks change if Green Bay and/or the Jets win this weekend?

CashmoneyDrew
01-21-2011, 09:28 PM
So you have the Bears over the Packers and Steelers over the Jets in this weekend's games, eh?

descendency
01-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm totally in agreement that Von Miller's stock will do what Vernon Gholston's stock did in 08. As long as he has a respectable number of bench presses, I totally see him sky rocketing in the draft (because he's going to be top 3 in all of his positional "track" events).

I disagree that Robert Quinn will be drafted that high. We saw how NFL teams respond to not playing an entire season with Dez Bryant. Most people agree he's a top 5 talent who was drafted outside of the top 20. I could see him falling. (and I don't just mean to my team... lol)

Dareus is an outstanding Browns pick. Utility DL that could play 43 or 34. While I don't love him at any DL position, I think he can play them all at a starter level in the NFL.

Patrick Peterson falling that far to the 49ers is a steal.

I don't think Mallett fits the offense Shanahan wants to run. He would either take someone else, trade down, or take Locker in the second (or trade back into the first. . .)

After having watched JJ Watt some more, I see a 43 DE. He may be able to play 34 DE, but I see a guy who would be better off losing 10 LBs and adding the explosion to his already explosive game. I'm not saying he's Mario Williams, but I could see a very talented (and slightly under-rated) pass rusher.

Aldon Smith and Cameron Heyward both are great Patriots picks.

Scott Wright
01-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I love Miller, he has awesome glasses and is a beast...but if a pass rushing OLB is gonna go that high, it probably won't be an undersized one.

Don't be so quick to label Miller undersized, especially until we see what he weighs at the Senior Bowl on Monday. Remember, he was a verefied 240 pounds about a year ago and that is exactly what Clay Matthews was at the Scouting Combine when he was coming out. Also, DeMarcus Ware was 251 pounds coming out of Troy. My guess is Miller winds up somewhere in between.

nepg
01-21-2011, 10:00 PM
It's as if people only watched the last game of the Chiefs' season. No OL spot has been an issue for this team. The only situation I see them needing an OL is if Wiegmann retires. Then OC is the #1 need, and would be sought at #21.

Chiefs fans told everyone the team was fine at OT last year, and we were obviously right. Do we really need to have this conversationa gain? Richardson is still fairly young and was very raw the first couple of years in KC. He's developed into a pretty decent RT, and we should see another huge step for him in 2011. Richardson filled in for O'Callaghan, and then took his job. When the Chiefs were happy with O'Callaghan, and Richardson performs so well that he takes O'Callaghan's job, why would they be looking at OT this year? The only thing that's changed is the RT situation has improved greatly.

When dealing with the OL, Pioli stresses continuity more than anything. They're happy with their OL, and they should be. It's a good unit.

The problems with that team lie with overall depth and talent at WR (outside opposite Bowe and slot). WR isn't a position that looks very good where they're drafting and Pioli's tendencies definitely go away from taking a WR in the first round. I could see them grabbing someone like Seizure in the 2nd or 3rd.

In the first, you're probably looking at defensive line with the slight possibility of Kyle Rudolph if he's available.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Von Miller...I compare him to a much more experienced Clay Matthews coming out of college. Same type of player. Very smart, but with good instincts to complete the package. He can be moved around a lot in a 3-4 to cause serious problems.

49erNation85
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
As I do agree about the 49ers pick and the Defense needs is better then QB.I feel that our coaching staff can get one in round two.The is more a bigger need .We can still go after Stanzi or Dalton later rounds perhaps .However, just maybe we get Locker if he really shines and up his stock next week.You guys have fun at Mobile give us all the inside new on the seniors ! One more week woot !

nepg
01-21-2011, 10:08 PM
You're not going to get a QB in Round 2. That never works. Not really counting Brees or Kolb because those guys were targetted and drafted essentially in the first round for all intents and purposes.

I think the 49ers roll with Alex Smith again...and they should.

descendency
01-21-2011, 10:32 PM
As I do agree about the 49ers pick and the Defense needs is better then QB.I feel that our coaching staff can get one in round two.The is more a bigger need .We can still go after Stanzi or Dalton later rounds perhaps .However, just maybe we get Locker if he really shines and up his stock next week.You guys have fun at Mobile give us all the inside new on the seniors ! One more week woot !

Or you could sign JaMarcus Russell...

And draft Andrew Luck next year.

Nalej
01-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Love the Pats mock

Falconguru
01-21-2011, 10:50 PM
As a Falcon fan I would not like the Bailey pick at all. Bailey seems like a tweener and really wouldn't add to the pass rush. He has excellent physical ability but I think Dimitroff would wonder why Bailey didn't improve his senior year. The Falcon's already got burned with Jamaal Anderson no sense taking a player like Bailey with better potential players on the board. A player like Torrey Smith would fit nicely since the def ends like Aldon Smith,Kerrigan,Clayborn were already off the board. I would take Heyward over Bailey if it came to that.

Brodeur
01-21-2011, 10:59 PM
The Lions desperately need to add a top-flight cornerback but they played their way out of Patrick Peterson of L.S.U. and Prince Amukamara of Nebraska by winning some meaningless games down the stretch.

So you're suggesting that the Lions should have just half-assed those games so they could get a better pick? I'm pretty sure winning four games in a row is huge for a team like the Lions, and I'm fine with them playing themselves out of the two elite corners. I don't particularly want Ayers, but there's pretty much nothing I want at that pick so I'd accept it.

papageorgio
01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Von Miller to the Bills would have fans burning down the Ralph. Rather take my chances on Newton or Locker. Remember the Bills have Shawn Merriman for the pass rush.

thebow305
01-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Von Miller to the Bills would have fans burning down the Ralph. Rather take my chances on Newton or Locker. Remember the Bills have Shawn Merriman for the pass rush.

I agree that Miller would not be a good pick for the Bills that high, but that's a terrible reason lol. Shawne Merriman is finished in the NFL IMO.

As for the Phins pick... Mark Ingram works for me! Seems to be the popular pick right now and I can't say I'd be too upset about it. Big fan of Mr. Ingram!

Brent
01-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Patrick Peterson would be a dream.

BeerBaron
01-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Include me in the people who did a double take when they saw Von Miller at #3.....just wow. Totally unexpected.

I'm a little surprised that the first QB doesn't come off until #8...I feel like in reality, someone will trade up higher than that to ensure they get the QB of their choice. I also think that Newton would be more likely to be the Redskins pick than Mallett. If you look at the QBs that Shanahan has done well with in the past....Elway, Plummer, Cutler....all quite athletic (though none on Newton's level.) I might be more mobile in the pocket than Ryan Mallett, so I'm not so sure on that one. I think they'll prefer any of Gabbert, Newton or Locker over Mallett.

Also, I hope your prediction of the Bears beating the Packers is right. But not losing to the Steelers....c'mon man.

JPP90
01-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Ill puke in my mouth if we take Corey Luiget. Id rather take either of the other 2 Illinois players ...Wilson, since LB is the #1 need after all...or Leshoure so we can actually have 1 true RB rather than 2 backs with major limitations helping the other team win. Even if Cofield leaves...why not plug Linval Joseph in since you took him 2nd round? Makes no sense...2nd round picks aren't throw-away guys. Give us a LB at least...even if its a reach.

TACKLE
01-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Can't say I'm too excited about Aaron Williams to the Ravens but I understand that it could happen. Williams has the physical tools to be a #1 CB but his play this year has certainly been underwhelming. His film from 2010 simply does not match up with how well he will test. He actually reminds me a lot of Marcus McCauley, the Fresno CB from a few years back. Talented with ideal size but really hasn't put it all together and struggles with consistency. Not that you should rule out juniors for the pick, but IIRC, Ozzie has only drafted something like 6 underclassmen ever. Not that it should deter you from considering underclassmen to the Ravens, but its something that should be noted.

The one pick that really can't wrap my head around is Ryan Mallett to Washington. I cannot imagine a much worse fit in Shanahan's offense. In an offense that relies heavily off roll-outs and bootleg action, I really can't see how one of the least mobile, slowest top QB prospect in years would be a good fit in that system at all. One thing we know about Shanahan, its that he'll identities the QB that fit his system, than he goes out and gets his guy. "...but it only takes one team to fall in love with his size, arm strength and potential." By that explanation, why wouldn't they go with someone like Newton or Locker who actually have the physical skill set to be successful in that offense?

Not trying to be a Negative Nancy but just wanted to comment on those two things. Other than that I thought it was solid. Von Miller at #3, was well, ummm, interesting. Though I appreciate the open thinking there. Solid mock all around.

Don Vito
01-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Aldon Smith and Cam Heyward is pretty much a dream scenario for the Pats.

gpngc
01-22-2011, 03:11 AM
The 2011 Seattle Seahawks may be the easiest team of all time to mock.

Pick any player that isn't a RB or TE and you'll get no complaints from me.

Not gonna turn this into a Locker thread (like 94.4% of all threads here) but I have my doubts... if the prophecy does indeed come to fruition (like the Taylor Mays prophecy), then I'll surely be rooting for the guy...

Sveen
01-22-2011, 05:48 AM
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: CAMERON JORDAN, DE, CALIFORNIA

Will Smith is one of the best and most underrated pass rushers in the league but the Saints have to find someone to compliment him on the other side. The duo of Alex Brown and Jimmy Wilkerson combined for just 4.0 sacks this season, which simply isnít going to cut it. Calís Cameron Jordan doesnít get a lot of attention nationally but he is very highly thought of in scouting circles and could come off the board a lot earlier than most realize, much like his former teammate Tyson Alualu did last year. The son of former Pro Bowl tight end and 13-year NFL veteran Steve Jordan, Cameron Jordan | California Bears Cameron is a big, strong, athletic player who is a factor as a pass rusher and against the run. New Orleans could also use an upgrade at outside linebacker but UCLAís Akeem Ayers probably wonít last this long and Georgiaís Justin Houston isnít a good fit in their 4-3 scheme so they might be better off waiting until the second or third round to find some help there. Donít rule out a running like Alabamaís Mark Ingram either because Pierre Thomas just canít seem to stay healthy and is also going to be a free agent.

I totally agree that the Saints desperately need a pass rusher or an outside linebacker in the first round. They probably should get themselves both during the first two rounds. I haven't seen much of Cameron Jordan, but as long as he can be a true 4-3 DE it's all good. Greg Williams won't go for a DE/OLB tweener because of the scheme he runs.

As Scott mentions, a runningback might be an option. We usually take the BPA even though we don't have a big need at that position (Will Smith, Deuce McAllister, Robert Meachem etc) so if that guy is a runningback they like I wouldn't be surprised to see Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton pull the trigger. Personally I really hope we get a stud pass rusher on day 1, but I'd say the chance of us taking a DE or OLB in the first round is about 50-50.

Good job as always Scott, and enjoy your trip to Mobile.

thegreatone76
01-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Ill puke in my mouth if we take Corey Luiget. Id rather take either of the other 2 Illinois players ...Wilson, since LB is the #1 need after all...or Leshoure so we can actually have 1 true RB rather than 2 backs with major limitations helping the other team win. Even if Cofield leaves...why not plug Linval Joseph in since you took him 2nd round? Makes no sense...2nd round picks aren't throw-away guys. Give us a LB at least...even if its a reach.

giants fan too and agree 100%. if giants go DL in the first i will puke. Gotta remember scott, a lot of our DE's play DT on 3rd downs and other situations. tuck,jpp, and company all saw reps at DT so it makes no sense to draft a first round DT that will play very limited action. Again like JPP said we took linval in the 2nd (high 2nd) last year and even though coefield is a FA that doesnt mean he wont resign and while bernard has been an overall disappointment he came on towards the end of last year. I Also like wilson or leshoure over luiget but im thinking the OT from usc's stock is gonna soar and might be our target. maybe even brandon harris. other than that we better trade down.

Smooth Criminal
01-22-2011, 08:17 AM
I love it for the Steelers. I mean if there is a Pouncey in the draft for the next 4 years I want them all to be my first round picks. I think the two of them would be perfect and instantly upgrade the interior of the line for years to come. Gettng Starks and Colon back from injury, and have the Pounceys and Kemo on the inside would give the Steelers their best OL since 2005, possibly earlier than that even.

I hate Cam going to NE. I really like him and I'd hate to have to root against his joining of the dark side.

YoJoeBucsFan
01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Something about Clayborn has me worried, he has bust written all over him. I watched him against Missouri in the bowl game one last time and he just doesn't seem to have the moves or the effort to be a good pick.

bergo23
01-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Count me in on the JJ Watt fan club!!! Its a PERFECT pick for the Bolts...and will replace the hole we've had since Olshansky left...and with Manusky running the show, I do believe they will look for a 3-4DE with pass rush ability, which is RARE but Watt has.

Come on AJ listen to Scotty on this one! The other possibilities are the Cam's but neither have the pass rush ability Watt has.

I am often critical of your Bolts picks Scott, but I think you nailed this one!

I will say the darkhorse would be a Corner, and AJ did draft Jammer, so if Aaron Williams impresses...they might move Jammer to safety.

The "smart money" as you say is on DLine though, and there will be plenty to choose from, even in the middle of the first round.

phlysac
01-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I also cannot see San Francisco passing up on a QB when they have a chance to snatch 1/4 available.(Strange also)

It just doesn't seem likely that Harbaugh would force a QB at #7 just because of need. He has a pretty ridiculous track record as a QB guy and he'll draft the guy he wants at the appropriate value. If he's not sold on any of the "top-4" I doubt they'll be picked.

CJSchneider
01-22-2011, 09:47 AM
It's a day late, but I'm considering the new mock my birthday present from you, Scott. I like the possibility of Cam Jordan to N.O. I had somewhat ruled him out as he comes from a 3-4 scheme, but I can't deny the need for us to address our front 7 on D.

regoob2
01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
If we dont move Chris Williams back to LT Id be happy with Tyron Smith.

regoob2
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
You cant be serious. Miller is a much better pick then either of those 2. If they want a QB they can wait until the 2nd or could trade up a bit.

redbills
01-22-2011, 10:07 AM
yea if we take another under size pass rusher and this time at #3 I will blow up one bills drive.

regoob2
01-22-2011, 10:10 AM
yea if we take another under size pass rusher and this time at #3 I will blow up one bills drive.
You didnt like Aaron Schobel?

Matthew Jones
01-22-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure the Patriots would take someone as raw as Aldon Smith, even if he does fit the size requirement we look for in OLBs. If you look through the Patriots' recent high draft picks, they don't take a lot of chances early on in the draft, instead generally opting for players that are likely to become solid contributors and key cogs. Generally they also put a lot of emphasis on seniors and team captains. Cameron Heyward is a great fit and value, so that pick makes a lot of sense, but I think the Patriots will opt for someone safer at #17 overall.

redbills
01-22-2011, 10:13 AM
You didnt like Aaron Schobel?

Aaron was a 2nd round pick and he could hold his own at the POA, Miller isn't one of those 2.

toddmlazarchick
01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
How can you think Shanahan will select Mallett? He is a statue in the pocket and all of his QBs have been mobile and this offense revolves around the same thing. Mallett is as anti-Shanahan as you could ask for. Gabbert, Newton and Locker all fit that build.

And to correct you write up, DeAngelo Hall isn't a FA only Rogers is.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Include me in the people who did a double take when they saw Von Miller at #3.....just wow. Totally unexpected.

I'm a little surprised that the first QB doesn't come off until #8...I feel like in reality, someone will trade up higher than that to ensure they get the QB of their choice. I also think that Newton would be more likely to be the Redskins pick than Mallett. If you look at the QBs that Shanahan has done well with in the past....Elway, Plummer, Cutler....all quite athletic (though none on Newton's level.) I might be more mobile in the pocket than Ryan Mallett, so I'm not so sure on that one. I think they'll prefer any of Gabbert, Newton or Locker over Mallett.

Also, I hope your prediction of the Bears beating the Packers is right. But not losing to the Steelers....c'mon man.

I've heard that the guy Shanahan wants is Locker

shylo3716
01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
No CB for Detroit hmmmmm.....Detroit fans what do you think about passing up on Brandon Harris? I love him in Philly.

regoob2
01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Aaron was a 2nd round pick and he could hold his own at the POA, Miller isn't one of those 2.
So part of the reason you dont like him because he wasnt a 2nd round pick? Miller isnt getting paid to take on blocks. He's an elite pass rusher who wont have to make a position change. Buffalo needs a safe pick.

billsfootball15
01-22-2011, 11:32 AM
oh my lord…von over quinn would be awful awful awful

redbills
01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
So part of the reason you dont like him because he wasnt a 2nd round pick? Miller isnt getting paid to take on blocks. He's an elite pass rusher who wont have to make a position change. Buffalo needs a safe pick.

I am saying Miller isn't worth pick 3, 2nd sure I'd take the risk.
Yea Buffalo needs a safe pick and undersize pass rushers aren't safe picks.

regoob2
01-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I am saying Miller isn't worth pick 3, 2nd sure I'd take the risk.
Yea Buffalo needs a safe pick and undersize pass rushers aren't safe picks.
He's not undersized for a 3-4 OLB.

keylime_5
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
actually nowadays he is, assuming he weighs in at 240ish. He's a long, lean guy who won't fit in a lot of 3-4 2 gap systems like New England and Kansas City run. I have a hard time believing a 6-4/240 pass rushing linebacker is gonna go in the top 3.

Spectre
01-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Some issues with the Browns pick. I love the Browns' pick if we're sticking with the 3-4 because we have a huge need at DE then. However, with the Jauron hiring it looks like we'll probably go to a 4-3 and if that's the case, I don't think Dareus fits a need.

Don't get me wrong, he's a fine 4-3 DT but we have Shaun Rogers and Ahtyba Rubin (who we should easily re-sign) already on the roster. Rogers best position is easily UT in a 4-3 and Rubin was solid as a 3-4 NT and should only get better when lined up off center. Dareus would probably fill Rubin's role in the 4-3 but that just puts a good player on the bench.

What we'd really need is a 4-3 DE but given that Bowers and Quinn are already off the board in your scenario (as well as Green who fits a top need), I'd probably go with Patrick Peterson. We have Joe Haden at CB1 and T.J. Ward at SS but it gets ugly from there. Eric Wright had a terrible year last year and Sheldon Brown gets burned too regularly to play CB for much longer.

With Peterson, we could shift Brown to FS and if we choose to re-sign Wright for cheap, we'd be set with a DB corps of Haden/Peterson/Wright with Brown/Ward at safety. Plus if Peterson ends up as a better safety than corner ala Malcolm Jenkins, we could always just switch him to FS and replace Sheldon Brown.

The logic you have is sound for the 3-4 but I don't like the pick if we switch to a 4-3.

bucfan12
01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I am curious as to why people think the Bucs and Clayborne are a perfect match? Clayborne is lazy and got really fat from 09 to 2010 seasons. He was slow and wore down late in the games and that is not the type of player Raheem Morris and the Bucs look for. He is a 5 technique the more I watch him. Give us a CB, S, or LB at that spot or trade down in that matter. Clayborne is not the BPA. Give us Cameron Jordan over Clayborne in that situation.

JaxJag_1
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
This ^^

I'm not a Buc fan obviously, but just speaking on Clayborn... He sucks. The guy is terrible.

TheSlinger
01-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Kerrigan is a perfect Jags pick. Just judging on the top talent in this draft and where the Jags are picking I feel certain in saying that if they stay at #16, the pick will be a QB, DE or CB.

cjrugger
01-22-2011, 12:31 PM
How can you think Shanahan will select Mallett? He is a statue in the pocket and all of his QBs have been mobile and this offense revolves around the same thing. Mallett is as anti-Shanahan as you could ask for. Gabbert, Newton and Locker all fit that build.

And to correct you write up, DeAngelo Hall isn't a FA only Rogers is.

Agree 100%. Mallett is the most un-Shanny qb in this draft. Locker or Newton would be much better fits.

I disagree on your Plan B option of Julio Jones as well. I think Plan B would be a DE or OLB to start building the pieces to transition to the 3-4

Babylon
01-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Had two emotions when i started going down the list. The first was the old line "you know it's a bad draft when...." that would apply to Von Miller. I dont disparage Scott for anything, he probably has forgot more than i ever knew about football but the Bills would be seriously setting themselves up for Aaron Maybin part 2. Do they really want to do that with the whole board (minus two players) at their disposal?

The second emotion was halle ####ing lujah when i saw Jake Locker going to Seattle, Scott you know your stuff.

armageddon
01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I am starting to have my doubts that Julio Jones makes it to the Rams at #14. Teams are going to fall in love with him at the combine. If he is gone, I would have the Rams trade down about 10 picks and take Baldwin.

703SKINS202
01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree that Mallet has the arm Shannahan is looking for but what about the mobility? As someone said he is a statue in the pocket and has terrible footwork. We like to run a lot of bootlegs and role outs, may not be the best fit. I like Jones better at this point and I agree that there is not as much separating him from Green as some might think.

prock
01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Holy Von Miller, Batman!!!

I am not sure what I think of Newton for the Vikings, I don't hate it because of the position, but I don't know if I want us to be the team to take the shot on him.

jrdrylie
01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
In this draft, I don't think there is any more sure bet than the Jaguars drafting Kerrigan if he is still there. DE is a huge need and Kerrigan is exactly the high motor, high character guy that Gene Smith looks for.

As for the Bears, I love Sherrod as a prospect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Lions at 13 when all is said and done. And to see him available to Chicago and be passed up, I question it. But it will come down to whichever tackle the Bears like the most. And if that is Tyron Smith, so be it.

proshoota25
01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree with ROP. Aldon Smith doesnt fit the Patriot's MO early on in the draft. However, if he was the pick, I wouldnt complain one bit. I am very happy with this Pats mock. Address OL in the 2nd, then it is perfect.

Stranger
01-22-2011, 03:15 PM
I think you nailed the Cardinals. I agree that that they will likley go with a veteran and try and develop Skelton, in which case a pass rusher or CB is definitely the pick.

Although I am curious which QB you think they would draft if they don't go the veteran route?

87Canes
01-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I think the Bills learned to not take hybrid DE's when they selected the Aaron Maybin. I don't see how Chan Gailey doesn't draft an OL to shore up a bad front. If they do go defense, it would make a lot more sense to take a DE/DT/OLB more proven then Von Miller. He had a HUGE junior season but his senior was terrible. I just see 2 of your top 3 picks as wayyyy too risky.

Fairley to Carolina seems a bit high for 2 reasons: 1, Fairley could be a one year wonder and Carolina has bigger needs than the DT spot. They've got 2 standout young DE's in Brown and Johnson. A great MLB in the Beast and their secondary is actually there weakest unit on D. I see them drafting Patrick Peterson instead.

Some people are labeling Patrick P as a bust or a hybrid CB/S that will play FS in the league but the kid does have speed to keep up with NFL WRs so I see him staying at CB. Now the question is whether Carolina and Ron Rivera are willing to pay a ton of money to a CB? Doubt it so we're back to square one. They mite as well draft Mallett or Gabbert...

bucfan12
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree with ROP. Aldon Smith doesnt fit the Patriot's MO early on in the draft. However, if he was the pick, I wouldnt complain one bit. I am very happy with this Pats mock. Address OL in the 2nd, then it is perfect.

As a Bucs fan, I hope the Pats do pass him up. However, I think he's going to blowup all offseason workouts and become a top 10-12 pick.

87Canes
01-22-2011, 03:31 PM
3 players I wouldnt draft with a 1st round pick: Von Miller, JJ Watt and Julio Jones

bucfan12
01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
3 players I wouldnt draft with a 1st round pick: Von Miller, JJ Watt and Julio Jones

I agree that Von Miller is getting too much hype, but why not Julio Jones?

87Canes
01-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree that Von Miller is getting too much hype, but why not Julio Jones?

Julio Jones runs a about a 4.6 40 if not higher. He doesn't have the greatest ability to create seperation and I just see NFL CBs being able to outrun him way too often so his only value would be in the goal line.

He's sort of like a super big but not amazingly fast WR. Pretty much he's not Megatron or Andre Johnson.

I know Bama was a run first O but even when they did pass, he didn't do much but a spectacular catch here and there. I'm just not very high on the guy...he just lacks NFL WR speed

K Train
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
von miller at #3 seems like pulling a kiper or mcshay and throwing a wtf out there way early in the mock.

love pouncey to the steelers tho

Babylon
01-22-2011, 04:25 PM

This just in. With the 17th, 28th and 33rd picks the New England Patriots select: Von Miller, Julio Jones and JJ Watt, you know they would.

prock
01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
This just in. With the 17th, 28th and 33rd picks the New England Patriots select: Von Miller, Julio Jones and JJ Watt, you know they would.

That would be like the best draft of all time.

Scott Wright
01-22-2011, 05:09 PM

No way will J.J. Watt last until #33. If the Pats want him it's #17 or bust.

BeerBaron
01-22-2011, 05:10 PM

That would be like the best draft of all time.

Because it was the Patriots and the all knowing Bill Bellilchick who drafted them, it very well could be.

Jones goes on to shatter Moss's single season receiving records and Rice's career records, extending even after Tom Brady retires and Brian Hoyer takes over, instantly becoming an elite QB.

Meanwhile Miller becomes a 15+ sack a year guy and Watt becomes the next Richard Seymour - a pro bowl caliber 3-4 DE.

All because the Patriots drafted them.

87Canes
01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Because it was the Patriots and the all knowing Bill Bellilchick who drafted them, it very well could be.

Jones goes on to shatter Moss's single season receiving records and Rice's career records, extending even after Tom Brady retires and Brian Hoyer takes over, instantly becoming an elite QB.

Meanwhile Miller becomes a 15+ sack a year guy and Watt becomes the next Richard Seymour - a pro bowl caliber 3-4 DE.

All because the Patriots drafted them.

That would be funny but I know Belichick won't take any of them. Maybe Miller but that's it. Watt is just as overrated as Jones.

Belichick has his eyes set on Bailey (he loves Hurricanes) but he'll need an outside LB. Kerrigan would be a good fit in NE but so would Ayers, Bruce Carter...

Whoever drafts Bruce Carter will get the steal of the draft. Especially if he doesn't go in round 1.

87Canes
01-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Justin Houston will be an immediate playmaker wherever he lands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0L2RVId90

essential
01-23-2011, 12:19 AM
bills won't take Miller. Moats came on strong toward the end of last year, and while Merriman may not be a long term solution, i think his signing signifies that OLB will not be a first round pick for us this year.

i still think they will take a QB if they feel one is franchise worthy and sit him for a year or two behind Fitz, Gailey has had quotes in the local paper stating as much.

fenikz
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Solid Cardinals pick, I personally feel CB is our biggest need but OLB is right there behind it, despite Porter's very mediocre year he is a great locker room guy and certainly helped Schofield develop & hopefully would do the same for Quinn.

Duffman57
01-23-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm just curious Scott, what do you see in Watt that allows him to be a 5T other than measurables? Every time i see him, he is very hard to get locked on with, but if he does, he's not winning ANY battles, and gets pushed back really easy. He rushes upfield a LOT disreguarding all run plays and giving a free lane for guys to run through. He does use his hands very well to attempt to not get locked on, but thats really hard to do when your head up on a NFL LT. I think he will be a near elite 4-3 LE, but he's just not a good fit for a 3-4 IMO. There's no way i take the guy over Jordan, Liuget, and Brandon Harris. All 3 are MUCH better players in our scheme, and much better fits in our D.

shylo3716
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Will PP fall out of the Top 5?

nepg
01-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Will PP fall out of the Top 5?
I think it depends on Denver.

87Canes
01-23-2011, 11:20 AM
I think it depends on Denver.

He should be the 1st pick overall if Carolina doesn't go with a QB or AJ Green.

PossibleCabbage
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
So Scott, now that the Jets are picking 29, the Bears 30, and the Packers and Steelers 31/32 in some order... would any of the final four picks in your mock change?

steelersfan2011
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
I personally think Mike Pouncey finds his way to Pitsburgh in a later round. The reasoning behind is that an offensive lineman is almost always thought of as good when a team plays well and bad when a team plays poorly in College. Now with the Gators not living up to expectations this year unless Mike has a steller, over-the-top, Senior Bowl or Combine his stock will plummet. It is already happening as people are now recognizing Mike as a guard instead of center, meaning that people already without knowing anything about his play this year, don't believe that he is great in a position his TWIN brother succeeeds at. Plus when positions change, not including 3-4 pass rushers, stock falls. I still believe pittsburgh takes Mike, but in the second or third round.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Pouncey is a first rounder dude

descendency
01-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Pouncey is a first rounder dude

mid 1st to mid 2nd.

Poz51
01-26-2011, 09:28 AM

With Nix stating that they want LB's with size, one Bills drive should be safe for another year :)
"I'll tell you one thing, if we're ever gonna win, we gotta fix it," Nix said. "You don't win if you don't, and you don't have to worry about them throwing it because they won't throw it until you make 'em. We've gotta do that, and some of it is to get bigger and stronger. We had 13 guys on IR. I think seven of 'em were linebackers. ... We had gotten small around there -- 225- and 230-pound linebackers -- and it's hard to stop the run with that. We gotta get bigger."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article323639.ece

oh my lord…von over quinn would be awful awful awful

I cant see either being the pick, Miller is smaller than what they have stated they want, and Quinn has "concerns".

bills won't take Miller. Moats came on strong toward the end of last year, and while Merriman may not be a long term solution, i think his signing signifies that OLB will not be a first round pick for us this year.
i still think they will take a QB if they feel one is franchise worthy and sit him for a year or two behind Fitz, Gailey has had quotes in the local paper stating as much.

Perfect statement. We have other more pressing concerns. If they do not see a franchise guy, then its more open as to what direction they go in with the first pick. Everything they are saying now indicates they will take a "franchise" player, and they are not hiding that a QB is very likely.

Poz51
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Let's keep this thread fun and informative!
Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Miller certainly is a possibilty, but IMO not a reality.
A possibility if they see him as a "franchise" player:
Nix said, referring to the draft in general. "To answer the question of third pick, whoever is there that we think is going to be a franchise impact player for us is the guy we'll draft. Where anybody thinks it makes sense [in terms of position], it doesn't matter to me. If it's a guy that we think long-term's an impact guy, no matter what the position, we'll take him."
Not a reality IMO because they signed Merriman (yes I know the injury concern), they need a guy who can defend the run, want to get bigger at LB and Moats progressed as the season went on, and Millers size:
"I'll tell you one thing, if we're ever gonna win, we gotta fix it," Nix said. "You don't win if you don't, and you don't have to worry about them throwing it because they won't throw it until you make 'em. We've gotta do that, and some of it is to get bigger and stronger. We had 13 guys on IR. I think seven of 'em were linebackers. ... We had gotten small around there -- 225- and 230-pound linebackers -- and it's hard to stop the run with that. We gotta get bigger." Nix's words.
I would believe a QB is much more likely myself:
"No, I wouldn't say that at all," Gailey said on WEDG radio last week when asked if Fitzpatrick's play would preclude them from drafting a QB. "What has got to happen is you've got to understand that I think Fitz is a really good quarterback, and I think he can take our team to the playoffs. But if you've got a chance to get a guy that you think for 10 years, 12 years, is going to be the guy, Fitz is moving on up in years, too. How many years do you expect us to draft No. 3 and be able to get a guy like that, even if you put him under wraps for a year or two while you're grooming him? You have to consider that."

Miller is a great player and by all accounts had a great week so at the senior bowl, I just dont see them taking him at 3 with the other options on the board, although this is not the "Jauron" administration, and the Spiller pick was surprising last year (apparently he was the top player on their board), I cant see Miller being the pick with bigger needs elsewhere (they have 3-4 Jack types on the roster), higher rated players and potential franchise QB's still available. I have been wrong before, but am very confident Miller is not the direction they will go in, unless they are blowing smoke up eveyone's rear end, and think Denver or Carolina might take him... This is not to say that he is not a great player, from everything I have heard and read from the current administration, nothing says that they are thinking the pass rush is a main concern, its mostly been about stopping the run, getting bigger, and possibly getting a franchise QB to give a couple years to develop with the first pick.