PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend... Prequel?

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 12:25 AM
I have heard and read that there will be a prequel to I Am Legend, starring Will Smith..

I love the idea and concept of the movie. Does anyone know anything more and know if this is true or false?

Thanks, greatly appreciated.

CashmoneyDrew
01-22-2011, 12:43 AM
This will probably get merged.

Anyways, I enjoyed the first one up until the dog died. Then it fell to pieces.
Not sure why they need a prequel when almost all of the back story was given in this movie.

Sportsfan486
01-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm confused as to what the prequel could be about?

I do think a SEQUEL could be done. If you've read the book, if you take some creative twists you can make the first movie lead into the 2nd half of the book.

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 12:56 AM

Not sure why they need a prequel when almost all of the back story was given in this movie.

Dude, we have the exact same opinion.

The movie was oscar worthy up until the dog died, then it just fell apart. Not enough action after that, the ending sucked, and the overall sadness of the dog dying just distracts you from the movie alittle bit.

Anyway, does anyone have anymore information on if this is ACTUALLY going to be filmed for not?

Jvig43
01-22-2011, 01:07 AM

Yep pretty much this. The first two thirds wasn't all that bad. Once the chick and child showed up tho it went to ****.

trkaline
01-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Yep pretty much this. The first two thirds wasn't all that bad. Once the chick and child showed up tho it went to ****.

Same thing happened with Hancock minus the child part. Maybe next Will Smith movie they make, halfway through the movie they should just call it a rap and release that...

fenikz
01-22-2011, 01:51 AM
book was way better than the movie, idk why so many critics loved it

Crickett
01-22-2011, 02:51 AM
Given how disappointing I am legend the movie was, I won't be seeing it if there is a prequel.

I laughed at the ending, but that is because I always imagined they brought the blood sample containing the antidote to this colony and no one there knew what to do with it or had the facilities to extract the antidote.

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Given how disappointing I am legend the movie was, I won't be seeing it if there is a prequel.

I laughed at the ending, but that is because I always imagined they brought the blood sample containing the antidote to this colony and no one there knew what to do with it or had the facilities to extract the antidote.

I second this. It's a shame because it could have been an all-time, academy award type movie up until the dog died. I have no idea what they were thinking.

I didn't know Michael Vick was co-director...!!!! LOLZZZZZ

Anyway, everyone loves dogs so that just ruined it, then anna and ethan come and its just boring and the ending is epically bad.

But i will still ask, does anyone know if this is actually in development....?

TitanHope
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM
The scene where he has to kill the dog in his arms is my single strongest memory of that movie. I actually liked it. I thought it was powerful, and I needed to see some kind of bad thing actually happen in the forward plot, not some flashback or suspense of the thought that it could.

And I own a German Shepherd...

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Smh.. I almost cried at that bro.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE PREQUEL IS ACTUALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!?

Nalej
01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here. I actually enjoyed it.
I plan on reading the book too since everyone seems to think it was >>> than the movie

CashmoneyDrew
01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
When I googled it I got a lot of "IAL sequel greenlit" stuff.

IMDB has something for it in 2013.

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here. I actually enjoyed it.
I plan on reading the book too since everyone seems to think it was >>> than the movie

I liked it too. The first hour was epic, but after that I think it tailed off.

I really wish they thought of a better last half hour though, the lack of action and ending really prevented this movie from being a classic.

If there is a prequel, hopefully it lights hollywood on fire and brings back some credibilty to the first movie as well.

TitanHope
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Smh.. I almost cried at that bro.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE PREQUEL IS ACTUALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!?

Crying is a good thing for me. ;)

And after googling it and clicking the 2nd thing that popped up, here's what Will Smith said after being asked:

Collider: Speaking of Robert Neville and I am Legend, there has been a lot talk about you possibly doing a prequel or sequel to that film. Could you tell us what it is and what excites you about going back to that character?

Will Smith: We have a fantastic prequel idea…we’re still trying to work through a couple of bumps in the story. It’s essentially the fall of the last city – the last stand of Manhattan. The movie would be…within the body of the movie D.C. and then Manhattan would fall as the last city. It’s a really cool idea trying to figure it out…there’s a reason why we have to take a small band and we have to get into D.C. So we have to make our way from New York to D.C. and then back to New York.

Question: Will the dog be back in it?

Will Smith: Yes, the dog will be a puppy.

This was in Dec. 2008. IMDB lists an "Untitled I Am Legend Prequel (2013)" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1167498/) in it's listings, and puts it as "in development," also.

PackerLegend
01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I enjoyed the entire movie. I didnt have a problem with the dog getting killed. Ultimately it was the most powerful moment of the whole movie.

CJSchneider
01-22-2011, 02:24 PM
That actually sounds pretty cool.

A Perfect Score
01-22-2011, 02:47 PM
The book was a million times better then the movie. They butchered it, especially the ending. I was disappointed because it had one of the best teaser trailers Ive ever seen.

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
The book was a million times better then the movie. They butchered it, especially the ending. I was disappointed because it had one of the best teaser trailers Ive ever seen.

I thought the first hour was epic, then it was just awful.

Hopefully if this prequel or whatever happens they realize the ending was trash and make it their main focus.

I wonder, could they be going by the alternate ending and make a sequel with Will Smith still alive...?

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
By the way, thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Boston
01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe an I Am Legend remake...then a prequel.

Nalej
01-22-2011, 07:20 PM
I hope not @ remake
It wasn't Spider Man 3 bad where they needed to fire everyone and start over from scratch

Boston
01-22-2011, 07:28 PM
I hope not @ remake
It wasn't Spider Man 3 bad where they needed to fire everyone and start over from scratch

Yeah but it could have been infinitely better.

Borat
01-22-2011, 10:33 PM
By the way, thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Glad we could be of google to you.

PackerLegend
01-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I wonder, could they be going by the alternate ending and make a sequel with Will Smith still alive...?

Whats your guys thoughts on preferred ending? I didnt really like the alternate ending as much as the original. I know in the very beginning his daughter said " Daddy look a butterfly" in the car ride. What was the connection at the end between the butterflys? Just him wanting to be back with who Will had taken. An Will wanting to be back with his daughter?

b-rJsnXsgMo

xxxxxxxx
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Whats your guys thoughts on preferred ending? I didnt really like the alternate ending as much as the original. I know in the very beginning his daughter said " Daddy look a butterfly" in the car ride. What was the connection at the end between the butterflys? Just him wanting to be back with who Will had taken. An Will wanting to be back with his daughter?

b-rJsnXsgMo

To be honest, I didn't really like either of them. They really could've done better. The first half of the movie was SO GOOD. then it just collapsed. If they added another hardcore action scene after ethan and anna show up, and had a much more bad ass death for will smith it wouldve been oscar worthy.

Say, will smith being dragged away to his death after giving the cure to anna just as she is able to escape in the middle of the night? Idk, some better and less ******** than a zombie running into the glass like jack lambert and will smith thinking he is marshawn lynch going into beast mode with that grenade wouldve been much better. It's still one of my favorite movies tho just because I am fascinated with being the only man left on the planet. Imagine that...

And as for the guy two posts above who talked about just using google, I did plenty of research, I was just curious if anyone has inside sources to movies, or IMDBPro or something that couldve told me more information... no need to be a wise ass.

But yeah, the ending was definitly weak. Just thinking in your head there are so many ways it couldve been better and became a classic. I'm supprised will smith supported the last 30 minutes of the movie. It was a terrible let down to a BOSS first hour.

Hopefully this next one it epic, if it happens.

proshoota25
01-23-2011, 02:19 AM
on a better note...... supposedly there will be an Independence Day 2. Now thats freakin awesome!

descendency
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
I loved the first movie, but it felt short to me.

trkaline
01-23-2011, 02:24 AM
on a better note...... supposedly there will be an Independence Day 2. Now thats freakin awesome!

I think too much time has passed for them to make a sequel... it almost never works out...

proshoota25
01-23-2011, 02:30 AM
I think too much time has passed for them to make a sequel... it almost never works out...

yeah usually i agree.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/ this is listed in here, apparently there is also an independence day 3 as well listed at imdb lol

Nalej
01-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Wow, ID4 was such a great movie. (Is this the Will Smith Hype thread????)
Part 2 (and 3?!) would be about.... ? Would it still have Will, Jeff G, Mr. President (don't know his name)...
or will it be re-casted and go straight to DVD? Or one of those awful SyFy movies

xxxxxxxx
01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Wow, ID4 was such a great movie. (Is this the Will Smith Hype thread????)
Part 2 (and 3?!) would be about.... ? Would it still have Will, Jeff G, Mr. President (don't know his name)...
or will it be re-casted and go straight to DVD? Or one of those awful SyFy movies

Chill everybody. This is an I am legend prequel/sequel whatever-quel thread.

AHungryWalrus
01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Count me in with the "loved the movie until Ethan and Anna showed up" group. It took something away from the movie, just having them walk up.

The dog dying I was fine with. I mean, it made me feel sad, but it was a huge point in the movie. They could have done so much more with Neville's depression than just have him try to die, and then encounter more people.

xxxxxxxx
01-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Count me in with the "loved the movie until Ethan and Anna showed up" group. It took something away from the movie, just having them walk up.

The dog dying I was fine with. I mean, it made me feel sad, but it was a huge point in the movie. They could have done so much more with Neville's depression than just have him try to die, and then encounter more people.

I guess the dog dying isn't so bad, it's just the 40 minutes that followed that was ending. if there was another badass action scene and the intro of anna and ethan was better it woudlve been sick.

also, him finding the cure and then givng his life to protect it coudlve been so much better.

again, I am suprised will smith signed off on it. you would think he wouldve thought of something better.

xxxxxxxx
01-26-2011, 09:42 AM
bump bump bump bump, BUMP BUMP.

SuperMcGee
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM

It's Bill Paxton.

ryno626
02-03-2011, 06:03 PM
It's Bill Paxton.

You misspelled Pullman

LizardState
02-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Maybe an I Am Legend remake...then a prequel.

The Will Smith version was a remake (of the Vincent Price original that was remade as The Omega Man w/ Charlton Heston in 1974).

Will Smith in a prequel? So this is how he becomes the New Denzel.....(opens envelope) And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to .....

SuperMcGee
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Nobody appreciates a good Paxton/Pullman joke anymore.

xxxxxxxx
02-03-2011, 08:55 PM
The Will Smith version was a remake (of the Vincent Price original that was remade as The Omega Man w/ Charlton Heston in 1974).

Will Smith in a prequel? So this is how he becomes the New Denzel.....(opens envelope) And the Academy Award for Best Actor goes to .....

The Omega Man was so bad. Epically bad.

NotRickJames
02-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Not sure I'd want to see it after I Am Legends garbage ending.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Not sure I'd want to see it after I Am Legends garbage ending.

Yeah, they butchered it. The ending was pointless, meaningless, and in a sense, completely unnecessary.

The original ending in the book, and I guess the alternate one, were better.

And what the heck would the prequel be about? We know what happens to the family, to the world, and everything. Guess it'd be something like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/a9o9q1.png

LonghornsLegend
02-04-2011, 01:53 AM

I think they played the point after the dog's death fine. I mean, how could they really do more with it when he was ready to kill himself not long after? They would have had to find some way for him to still have motivation to do **** because he obviously wasn't interested in living, or looking for a cure anymore once his dog died so while Anna and Ethan may not have been the best follow up, it would have had to of been something similiar.

Other then people or a person showing up, I doubt he lived very much longer. It pissed me off seeing the dog die, but you almost had to expect it. Movies like this pets don't really last that long anyway, but it was just how close of a bond they had is what messed me up. Plus I'm a huge dog person myself.

Where would this prequel take place though? What setting? I think it's best if it's just left alone. I don't think the movie really tanked at the end, it was ok, but not terrible. That alternate ending was terrible as hell though, for so many reasons.

I still agree with someone in that I didn't know what the whole butterfly connection was. I followed along with it all story, but it needs to have more of a meaning. None the less, when I bought my blu ray player this past xmas it was one of the first movies I purchased along with I Robot. If you haven't seen it on blu ray yet it then do it, looks beautiful.

xxxxxxxx
02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
I think they played the point after the dog's death fine. I mean, how could they really do more with it when he was ready to kill himself not long after? They would have had to find some way for him to still have motivation to do **** because he obviously wasn't interested in living, or looking for a cure anymore once his dog died so while Anna and Ethan may not have been the best follow up, it would have had to of been something similiar.

Other then people or a person showing up, I doubt he lived very much longer. It pissed me off seeing the dog die, but you almost had to expect it. Movies like this pets don't really last that long anyway, but it was just how close of a bond they had is what messed me up. Plus I'm a huge dog person myself.

Where would this prequel take place though? What setting? I think it's best if it's just left alone. I don't think the movie really tanked at the end, it was ok, but not terrible. That alternate ending was terrible as hell though, for so many reasons.

I still agree with someone in that I didn't know what the whole butterfly connection was. I followed along with it all story, but it needs to have more of a meaning. None the less, when I bought my blu ray player this past xmas it was one of the first movies I purchased along with I Robot. If you haven't seen it on blu ray yet it then do it, looks beautiful.

I agree with a lot of this, except for not being able to do much after the dog dies.

It's a Will Smith movie, someone easily could've thought of another BOSS scene to throw in there to make the 2nd half worth watching. A sweet fight scene or something. That car on the dock scene was ***, then ethan and anna show up and it's borning. The ending fight was stupid and then the ending was just terrible.

They coudlve put in a boss like exploring a building into a fight or something.