PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance the Top Four QBs...

MI_Buckeye
01-22-2011, 07:11 PM
are not the top four selected? Nobody seems to even be considering the fact that one of the guys could plummet BIG time and some dark horse like Andy Dalton or Ricky Stanzi could jump one or even two of the hot names right now.

Personally, I think there is a very small chance all four go in the first round, and after that, teams tend to choose QBs based on their own preference. Can you honestly not imagine a WCO liking Dalton more than, say, Ryan Mallett?

JPP90
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Look at the board...people are considering it a whole lot lol.

Babylon
01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
The thing with projecting guys like Stanzi and Dalton into the first round is why would you if teams can get them later. As much as we crap on the supposed top 4 they all bring some real skills to the table. All have good size, good to great arms and except for Mallett some rare mobility.

Having said all that one of these guys could drop out of the 1st round if some character issues were to turn teams off but as far as need goes just go down the list. The whole league is pretty much looking for QBs.

Buffalo M
01-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Don't worry. The Redskins and a few others will gamble on QB's.

I'm not impressed with this QB class at all. Newton way down the road and what else ? Gabbert looked very ordinary the 7-8 times I saw him play.

I suppose someone could surprise later but I'm not seeing much now.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
i mean, guys like Dalton end up in the first round

just generally not in years when there are 4 QBs with supposed 1st round grades.

i could see him (or whoever) going above a Mallett...in the second round

Babylon
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
i mean, guys like Dalton end up in the first round

just generally not in years when there are 4 QBs with supposed 1st round grades.

i could see him (or whoever) going above a Mallett...in the second round

Feel free to list a few.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Rex Grossman

DBNYDP
01-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I still think that in 10 years from now all said and done...Ricki Stanzi will be the best QB of the class.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
JP Losman

i mean now that I think about it you really need a stronger arm than Dalton has to sneak into that range but there were a lot of people who thought Clausen was a 1st rounder on this site

BeerBaron
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I still think that in 10 years from now all said and done...Ricki Stanzi will be the best QB of the class.

I don't blame this on him obviously, but I'm still a bit scarred from seeing some of the worst 2 minute playcalling I've ever seen anywhere by Iowa this season. It made Andy Reid look like a clock management genius....crossing routes that pick up 5 yards but blow 20 seconds? Yikes....I would have loved to see what Stanzi could do in a better situation.

To the main topic, is it possible? Absolutely. Do I think it will happen? Ehhhh.....I don't think so.

If nothing else, there is a ton of potential in Gabbert, Mallett, Newton and Locker that will attract teams in the first round...worst case, early 2nd round.

The next "tier" is made up of guys like Stanzi, Dalton, Ponder, and Devlin (who had a blegh East/West game today I've read.) Guys that....don't have the same level of potential. You could argue that any of them have higher floors and at worst, might make solid game managers, but NFL teams don't typically draft those guys higher than they need to.

I think the Top 4 will be the Top 4 in the end, barring something wildly unforeseen.

nepg
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Feel free to list a few.
Patrick Ramsey ;) Washington

But the main point is for this year...

I don't see it. Mallett, Locker, and Newton aren't just First Round prospects, they are QBs with some key Franchise QB qualities who people have questions about (mostly with Mallett and Locker, it's Michael Oher Syndrome). I've got all three going in the Top 5 and Gabbert (who I agree looks ordinary) going in the Top 12 or so...

FUNBUNCHER
01-22-2011, 08:36 PM
First four QB selected doesn't have to mean they're all taken in the 1st round.

I think there's a good chance 1 QB of the top four doesn't go in the first, actually.

herkyhawkeye
01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't blame this on him obviously, but I'm still a bit scarred from seeing some of the worst 2 minute playcalling I've ever seen anywhere by Iowa this season. It made Andy Reid look like a clock management genius....crossing routes that pick up 5 yards but blow 20 seconds? Yikes....I would have loved to see what Stanzi could do in a better situation.

To the main topic, is it possible? Absolutely. Do I think it will happen? Ehhhh.....I don't think so.

If nothing else, there is a ton of potential in Gabbert, Mallett, Newton and Locker that will attract teams in the first round...worst case, early 2nd round.

The next "tier" is made up of guys like Stanzi, Dalton, Ponder, and Devlin (who had a blegh East/West game today I've read.) Guys that....don't have the same level of potential. You could argue that any of them have higher floors and at worst, might make solid game managers, but NFL teams don't typically draft those guys higher than they need to.

I think the Top 4 will be the Top 4 in the end, barring something wildly unforeseen.

That playcalling all lies in the hands of Iowa OC KOK. They tightened the reins on Stanzi to a point where you could tell he wasnt even comfortable with the situation. The year before he made countless plays in the situation but to combat his risk taking, they shackled his moxie. I truly believe if the right team drafts him and gets him under proper tutelage, He could be the best QB in this draft. Iowa doesnt have a true QB coach as the OC KOK is the qb coach as well(and a bad one). Given Ferentz's past connections with Belicheck, I could see the Pats grab Stanzi in the 3rd-5th round, sit him behind Brady and develop him into a formidable QB replacement. His size, demeanor, and mechanics are very similar to Brady and his skillset is underappreciated by many that didnt follow Iowa all that much. He wasnt given any favors by some of the playcalling this past season even though his numbers were good. Ferentz and KOK received a lot of flack for it.

BuddyCHRIST
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
I think so, workouts always change this kind of stuff alot. If someone shows a lack of work ethic or just tests poorly and another guy does great it might not even be a surprise by then.

the natural
01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Some of those guys are two years older than Blaine Gabbert. Take that into account.

edgrenade
01-23-2011, 03:51 AM
i think there is a better chance that one of the four drop out of the first

bucfan12
01-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Stanzi won't jump any of them. In my opinion, only Dalton or Devlin have an outside shot at jumping Mallett, but someone will take Mallett too early because of the cannon he's got.

FUNBUNCHER
01-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Stanzi is my new sleeper QB prospect. Personally I put him right in the mix with Newton/Mallett/Locker and far ahead of Gabbert.

Stanzi's value isn't in the first round, but in 2 years I could see him starting in the pros.
IMO his arm is underrated, just really like how he plays the game.
Devlin and Dalton aren't jumping anyone, and aren't better prospects than Stanzi.

49erNation85
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Devlin didn't help his stock yesterday in the East/West , he plaid like crap IMO . None of the QB 's did in that game really .

descendency
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
*remembers when people thought Christian Ponder was a top 3 QB*

Babylon
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Stanzi is my new sleeper QB prospect. Personally I put him right in the mix with Newton/Mallett/Locker and far ahead of Gabbert.

Stanzi's value isn't in the first round, but in 2 years I could see him starting in the pros.
IMO his arm is underrated, just really like how he plays the game.
Devlin and Dalton aren't jumping anyone, and aren't better prospects than Stanzi.

I think you're always going to find the Matt Hasselbecks and Matt Schaubs in later rounds and Stanzi would probably fit that mold. I cant see him in the first round though unless he shows a cannon at the combine.

the natural
01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Stanzi is over two years older than Gabbert. You have to look at what he was two years ago and make the comparison. Unless you believe that Gabbert has peaked and won't get any better. Unlikely.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-24-2011, 01:07 AM
wasnt alex smith like 20 when he was drafted? pretty sure he still sucks at 26 or whatever he is now

how is amobi okoye doing?

i think dwayne jarrett is only a couple months older than the two rookie panther WRs that he ultimately got cut for...dude's out of a job, age isn't helping him too much there

A Perfect Score
01-24-2011, 01:22 AM
I wouldnt be shocked if Andy Dalton went ahead of Ryan Mallett. Dalton is picking up steam and Mallett is on his way down. I think Mallett is going to fall alot further then anyone is predicting...Im thinking a Jimmy Clausen like freefall is in store for Mallett.

Halsey
01-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Shockingly, the two teams going to the Super Bowl start first round QBs. Unlike the QBs in the 2011 Draft, nobody doubted Roethlisberger or Rodgers as prospects.

/sarcasm

FUNBUNCHER
01-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Teams are willing to risk on players with physical talent. Mallett has a bazooka for an arm; some team will attempt to build an offense around that.

Mallett simply can do things with a football that Dalton can't.

If Mallett comes out 'clean' during combine interviews and once NFL teams do their background check on him, how is it possible he slips out of the top 20??

Everything he's done on the field says he's a lock top 15 pick.

the natural
01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
wasnt alex smith like 20 when he was drafted? pretty sure he still sucks at 26 or whatever he is now

how is amobi okoye doing?

i think dwayne jarrett is only a couple months older than the two rookie panther WRs that he ultimately got cut for...dude's out of a job, age isn't helping him too much there

There are probably 10 examples of young players drafted early coming off so/so seasons who got better and better, for each one of yours that didn't. I think you know that without my having to waste the space.

Master Exploder
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
There are probably 10 examples of young players drafted early coming off so/so seasons who got better and better, for each one of yours that didn't. I think you know that without my having to waste the space.

Like Clinton Portis?