PDA

View Full Version : Mayock Posted His Top 5 Positional Rankings

Iamcanadian
01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dd8ff0/article/underclassmen-prevalent-among-top-five-per-position

There will be substantial changes as he has just started watching film and still has the Senior Bowl and the Combine to attend.

Matthew Jones
01-23-2011, 08:57 AM
The only thing that really stood out was Robert Quinn as the #5 DE. Kinda going out on a limb there.

DJC
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Four QB's tied at 5? Haha cmon man make a stand for someone, you really can't believe all of them are equal pro prospects at this point.

Derek Sherrod and Stephen Paea seem a little low IMO.

He's high on Ahmad Black too. Maybe he'll go higher than some thought despite his size. Wouldn't be mad if the Bucs spent their 2nd on him.

The only thing that really stood out was Robert Quinn as the #5 DE. Kinda going out on a limb there.

That does stand out, but right now it's not too crazy to say. He has to earn his position back at the top of the draft and prove that he's still the same player as a year ago. He'll have one of the most important off seasons out of all the prospects. I could see him back in the top 3 discussion, or all the way down to the 20's depending on what he shows.

Iamcanadian
01-23-2011, 09:42 AM

At this point in the draft process, Seniors from major conference schools have a distinct advantage but as the post season advances, juniors and small college players move up the charts. Scouts tend to ignore juniors till they declare then the film study on them gets going.

Chidi29
01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd hope there would be sustantial changes considering his "top five" is more like a top eight or nine.

49erNation85
01-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm still happy to see that Jake Locker is in second place still.He stock should really rise this week if he performs well and really stays in the pocket etc .

holt_bruce81
01-23-2011, 01:12 PM
I think Stephen Paea is a little low, and Blaine Gabbert is a little high.

Saints-Tigers
01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, I'm actually not as big a fan of Mayock as most of the people here(though he is one of the top scouts), but I've never been that sold on Robert Quinn either, and he doesn't look like a dominant physical specimen or player to me.

Razor
01-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Wow, that is surprising. I think he's the best pass rusher in the draft... But screw it. If this helps him fall to NE I'm all for it!

FUNBUNCHER
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Gabbert's his #1 QB???
Unreal.

Is the offensive tackle class so weak that Solder is the top prospect??
Adrian Clayborn IMO is not the 2nd best DE available in the draft, and it's mildly shocking he doesn't have Heyward in his top 5.

Master Exploder
01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't really agree with a lot of his selections. I'm not sold on his wide receivers especially.

Saints-Tigers
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Why does he call it his top 5 ranking when every position has more than 5 or less than 5? lol.

ElectricEye
01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow. Charles Clay is really, really high at tight end. I actually like what he brings to the table as an H-Back, but I didn't expect to see him drafted.

yourfavestoner
01-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, I'm actually not as big a fan of Mayock as most of the people here(though he is one of the top scouts), but I've never been that sold on Robert Quinn either, and he doesn't look like a dominant physical specimen or player to me.

The thing about Mayock is that he can only scout certain positions. He's money on QBs and DBs, and decent with the offensive skill positions. And he can't scout offensive or defensive linemen worth a crap.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Why does he call it his top 5 ranking when every position has more than 5 or less than 5? lol.

Mayock actually scouts and watches tape, probably hasn't gotten around to scouting enough CBs to effectively rank them.

Tom Servo
01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Didn't he have McCoy ranked over Suh last yr? Mayock sucks. Gimme Mel every time

yourfavestoner
01-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Didn't he have McCoy ranked over Suh last yr? Mayock sucks. Gimme Mel every time

Eh, Mel isn't much of a "scout" in that he doesn't really know what to look for on tape. His biggest asset is his photographic memory. He can literally spit out the measurables and stats of any prospect on command.

Mayock is a better tape evaluator, but like I said, he is worthless when it comes to offensive and defensive linemen. But he's money with QBs and DBs. And it seems like he's got better feel for what the NFL teams are going to do (called both the Rodgers drop to GB and Whitner going 8th overall to Buffalo).

ATLDirtyBirds
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
These mean nothing to me. Let him have some time to watch the Senior Bowl and stuff, and we'll probably get a top notch list at the end.

ElectricEye
01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, Mayock has the NFL Network hookup on his side too though. I have come to respect what he does a bit more than I did at first because he's often right on DB's and QB's as mentioned, but he always seems to sneak in one signature thing to try to be a wizard. Last year it was Earl Thomas over Berry, but he admitted it was more a preference thing. McCoy over Suh didn't bother me that much because everyone and their brother thought McCoy was the best defensive tackle of all time the year before that draft and Suh was largely this myth that not many people had really seen.

TACKLE
01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Mayock is significantly better than any other network draft analyst. He puts the most work, he knows way more about football itself compared to guys like Kiper and McShay and he's the only one who actually has access to the same film that the NFL teams use in analyzing players. Initial rankings are always going to be a bit bland because he hasn't really had the time to evaluate underclassmen yet. I just hope he doesn't lose his boldness and willingness to take chances on guys now that he has become bigger and more mainstream.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 04:21 PM

I love how short sighted posts like these are.

McCoy was an incredible DT prospect. Better than Fairley. Lots of NFL personnel thought McCoy was better than Suh.

Mel is pretty much thought of around the league as a big joke.

JPP90
01-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Eh, Mel isn't much of a "scout" in that he doesn't really know what to look for on tape. His biggest asset is his photographic memory. He can literally spit out the measurables and stats of any prospect on command.

Mayock is a better tape evaluator, but like I said, he is worthless when it comes to offensive and defensive linemen. But he's money with QBs and DBs. And it seems like he's got better feel for what the NFL teams are going to do (called both the Rodgers drop to GB and Whitner going 8th overall to Buffalo).

I'm not gonna name names but an well-known independent scout who now writes for a major website told me a few years ago that Kiper is more of a messenger than an actual scout. He talks to scouts and bases his opinions and "rankings" off of what he's told. This scout had a lot of respect for Mayock for the very reason mentioned here...he watches tape and players. There are actually very few "draftniks" respected by scouts. Mel is based on reputation but the list pretty much starts and ends with Mel and Mayock.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Mayock is a former NFL player people..

He gets a ton of respect on that alone around the league. There is a reason Mayock has been offered front office jobs recently while Kiper would never be offered a similar job.

Mayock is very good at what he does.

And I like Mel by the way.. Just being real.

Tom Servo
01-23-2011, 04:30 PM
At least Mel's entertaining. I don't really think he, Mayock or McShay know anymore than half the guys on this board and they get to do it full time.

all you gotta do is listen to Mayock call a game to realize how little he knows.

But hey, at least he's just stupid and not ******** like McShay

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm not gonna name names but an well-known independent scout who now writes for a major website told me a few years ago that Kiper is more of a messenger than an actual scout. He talks to scouts and bases his opinions and "rankings" off of what he's told. This scout had a lot of respect for Mayock for the very reason mentioned here...he watches tape and players. There are actually very few "draftniks" respected by scouts. Mel is based on reputation but the list pretty much starts and ends with Mel and Mayock.

I know exactly who you are talking about and he is right.

JPP90
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I know exactly who you are talking about and he is right.

Does it rhyme with Ron Jerky?

bullg8rdaddy
01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Wow, that is surprising. I think he's the best pass rusher in the draft... But screw it. If this helps him fall to TB I'm all for it!

Agreed, sir.

Razor
01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Agreed, sir.

Wait, what?

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/681/original/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Draft King
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
At least Mel's entertaining. I don't really think he, Mayock or McShay know anymore than half the guys on this board and they get to do it full time.

all you gotta do is listen to Mayock call a game to realize how little he knows.

But hey, at least he's just stupid and not ******** like McShay

One of the stupidest things I've ever read on this board. ThePudge and princefielder are probably the two main posters on this board that make rankings, and Mayock blows them both out of the water. (No disrespect intended, just trying to illustrate how good I believe Mayock is)

SenorGato
01-24-2011, 02:02 AM

I can see it with the suspension thing...you know how classy this league likes to pretend it is.

All I ask is that he falls to 29/30 whichever one it is.

Saints-Tigers
01-24-2011, 05:35 AM
There are plenty of people on draft forums that would make better scouts than the TV analysts IMO, you have to realize how much easier it is to get a good grip when you have a library of coaches tape, and not just the broadcast stuff we see.

We also have day jobs and/or school. Imagine being able to dedicate 8 hours a day to watching film that captures more of what's going on in the secondary during plays.

FUNBUNCHER
01-24-2011, 09:42 AM
It's easy for most people to be bad scouts, but 'good' scouts IMO are a rare breed.
What most good scouts have that most of us don't is, real world football contacts in college AND the NFL.

Guys like Mayock, McShay and Kiper may come off like smug jerks at times, but they all have what I like to call 'expert opinion' that's balanced by experience following the game and a rational thought process and argument to support their opinions based on precedence.

The only problem I have with a guy like Mayock releasing a top five positional list in January is that as far as I know he doesn't preface his opinion with the disclosure he has yet to fully scout some of the names on his list.

In that sense, Mayock is doing exactly what many of us on SWDC are doing, but I don't work on NFL Network so I have an excuse(!)lol.

For Mayock to do the same however, is professionally sloppy.

descendency
01-24-2011, 10:00 AM
I can see it with the suspension thing...you know how classy this league likes to pretend it is.

All I ask is that he falls to 29/30 whichever one it is.

If he passes the Patriots twice, I will cry and throw stuff outside of the window. Quinn is a prototypical Bill Belichick linebacker (if he can cover).

His only flaw is that he puts himself before the team (which you can tell because he was screwing around with agents and taking pay)

WCH
01-24-2011, 11:23 AM
It's easy for most people to be bad scouts, but 'good' scouts IMO are a rare breed.

What most good scouts have that most of us don't is, real world football contacts in college AND the NFL.

Jimmy Johnson has always credited his college contacts with the great Cowboys drafts of the early 90s. Because he had just left the college game and personally knew so many people who coached at that level, he could call up the college coaches and they would give him the straight dope on players.

SRogers92
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
The only reason Mayock is better than half the guys on these boards is because he has "contacts" and access to player tape ... I imagine a fair share of us could scout decently if we had all the access to contacts and tape that they do ...

For all the love Mayock gets on these boards, never really been that infatuated with him ... sometimes I think he talks to a few guys that 'know' players and speak highly of them then ... BAM ... they are on his board in the top 5.

Iamcanadian
01-24-2011, 09:06 PM

Guys like Mayock, McShay and Kiper may come off like smug jerks at times, but they all have what I like to call 'expert opinion' that's balanced by experience following the game and a rational thought process and argument to support their opinions based on precedence.

The only problem I have with a guy like Mayock releasing a top five positional list in January is that as far as I know he doesn't preface his opinion with the disclosure he has yet to fully scout some of the names on his list.

In that sense, Mayock is doing exactly what many of us on SWDC are doing, but I don't work on NFL Network so I have an excuse(!)lol.

For Mayock to do the same however, is professionally sloppy.

He certainly says on NFL Network that he is only in the preliminary stages of his draft work and freely admits he has done little film study as of yet and even less on juniors.
Another factor that comes into play with Mayock is his personal preferences for certain type of players at certain positions. If you are a TE who cannot block, Mayock will downgrade you more than say a team who is looking for a TE who is a receiver 1st.
Mayock also has a huge edge over Kiper and McShay because he played pro football and a lot of teams have asked him to work in their scouting departments.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Next person to talk **** about Mayock will be changing the bloody bandages on their Reptum.

Scott Wright
02-23-2011, 12:16 PM

And just like that Quinn is now the #1 DE, just like I had him all along :o)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dd8ff0/article/underclassmen-prevalent-among-top-five-per-position?module=Combine_CP

Apparently Mike also said that Quinn "Might be most talented football player in this draft. One of most dominant edge rushers I've ever seen on tape.". Like I said, once people went back to look at the tape they'd see Quinn is a freak. Would've been #1 overall if not for the suspension.

Zello
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Wow! Quinn suddenly vaulted into the #1 DE in Mayock's rankings? Is the kid really that good?

Babylon
02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Wow! Quinn suddenly vaulted into the #1 DE in Mayock's rankings? Is the kid really that good?

It couldn't be based on anything he's done on the field lately.

87Canes
02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I personally don't like Mayock but I'm not a fan of Kiper or McShay either. I wish Mayock would just shut up a little bit when he commentates. They spend more time on him than they do the actual event...

I do agree with his assesment of the DE position as Robert Quinn is the best DE prospect in this NFL Draft along with Marcel Dareus even though they play 2 different DE positions.

RealityCheck
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Quinn just climbed to the #1 overall spot in my rankings, there may be a bit of homerism involved though. However, I don't see him getting past Buffalo and Arizona at all.

Iamcanadian
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Of course, besides all the tape and time he has, he also actually played in the NFL, something none of our posters has done, and he gets to interview the players if he wants, again, something we cannot do.
He also gets to talk to GM's and scouts about prospects and while he claims it doesn't influence his decisions, IMO, it has to have some impact.
McShay and Kiper cannot hold a candle to Mayock and IMO, when he posts his top 5 rankings, every draft site on the web suddenly changes their top 5 rankings. So while some people here may question his rankings, only a fool would ignore them completely.
Also, anybody who thinks his current top 5 rankings are a finished product before the combine and pro days simply doesn't know Mayock very well. There will be considerable changes when all is finished and done.

Iamcanadian
02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Great read!!! Sorry, should read New York Times.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/mike-mayocks-thoughts-on-combine/

brat316
02-24-2011, 07:34 PM
One thing I like about the draft this year, the top Qbs are a bunch of panzies. They are sacking up and tossing the ball around and taking a chance. Sunday watching the Qb drills might we worth while.

Iamcanadian
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Mayock said today that this draft is very strong and deep well into round 4.

Babylon
02-24-2011, 07:49 PM
One thing I like about the draft this year, the top Qbs are a bunch of panzies. They are sacking up and tossing the ball around and taking a chance. Sunday watching the Qb drills might we worth while.

I think you meant they are not being panzies. As for throwing if they were guaranteed a top 5 pick they wouldnt be throwing, i wouldnt give them too much credit for being a ballsy group.