PDA

View Full Version : Is There Something I Am Missing On Nate Solder?

MI_Buckeye
01-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I wont lie and say I follow Colorado real closely, and have seen every game Solder has played, but every time I watch him I think ... SOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I wanted so badly to like him, I really did. He is the only athletic marvel at the position, and an elite offensive tackle always makes the top of the draft more interesting. But now, I dont see much more than a third (at the earliest) developmental type.

Yet, several people I respect, Scott and Mayock included, have this guy as the top tackle in the draft. It just mystifies me. Are they so taken by his measurables that they are willing to overlook obvious deficiencies? Somebody tell me I am wrong or give me some sort of explanation why anyone sees a franchise left tackle in this guy. Whichever team drafts him seems likely to get my worst grade of the first round.

Quailman
01-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes, an L.

Day One Pick
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
I wont lie and say I follow Colorado real closely, and have seen every game Solder has played, but every time I watch him I think ... SOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I wanted so badly to like him, I really did. He is the only athletic marvel at the position, and an elite offensive tackle always makes the top of the draft more interesting. But now, I dont see much more than a third (at the earliest) developmental type.

Yet, several people I respect, Scott and Mayock included, have this guy as the top tackle in the draft. It just mystifies me. Are they so taken by his measurables that they are willing to overlook obvious deficiencies? Somebody tell me I am wrong or give me some sort of explanation why anyone sees a franchise left tackle in this guy. Whichever team drafts him seems likely to get my worst grade of the first round.

Left tackles and quarterbacks are so strongly driven by potential and raw talent in regards to draft stock. All positions are that way, but those two positions are far more about a players potential rather than what they've actually done.

BeerBaron
01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Teams see his athleticism and sky high potential, and then see that most of his issues can be corrected with coaching and experience.

It's the same reason why some team will take Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett really high.

MI_Buckeye
01-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Teams see his athleticism and sky high potential, and then see that most of his issues can be corrected with coaching and experience.

It's the same reason why some team will take Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett really high.

I understand that, but the biggest mistakes are made when teams overlook glaring flaws in a players game because of his physical tools. I understand that some team is going to draft him way higher than I think they should. It is just that I thought certain draft analysts would be too smart to fall for the hype, which is why I am wondering if they know something I dont.

Is he always as pedestrian as he was in the games I watched him? Does he ever show that dominating performance that lets you know he CAN maximize his tools?

MI_Buckeye
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes, an L.

Ha Ha! Touche.

FUNBUNCHER
01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't think most NFL teams will rate Solder that high in the first round.
He's so far from being able to start as a rookie, how could he be a top 15 pick??

Premier college offensive tackles are EXPECTED to be able to start as rookies.

If you look at Solder and don't see a guy who's ready to start in the NFL for at least a season or two, how could he be the top rated OT??

TheMorningZoo
01-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Thing that doesn't really make sense is that for how athletic he is, he is considered a great run blocker and average pass blocker if that. Many CU fans have said he is a turnstyle that lacks good pass protection skills, so why would you want someone at LT if they can't PB effectively?

I get he has the intangibles, measureables and experience but I feel as of right now he is strictly a Right Tackle. Does he have everything to be a Franchise Left Tackle? Yes, but he is an unfinished product

ElectricEye
01-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm higher on Solder than a lot of people here. The sheer athletic ability and freakness goes without saying at this point as we've been talking about 7% body fat and all that for a few years now. I really don't think he's this massive project people are making him out to be and I really think he can start right away too. Maybe not be as effective as you hope he'll be with a few years on an NFL nutrition and strength training program, but he does things you can't teach. It's very rare that you can see a guy who can completely recover with his quickness if he's beat. He gets caught reaching and doesn't fire out of his stance or deliver a great initial punch like you would like...but that's not only correctable, it's fairly easy to correct. He's underrated in terms of strength when he locks on too. Able to sustain blocks without much of an issue. When guys start mixing it up with their hands on him he sometimes gets beat a bit, but not badly.

We're not talking about Joe Thomas here as he's not a finished product yet, but this is a really terrible offensive tackle class. It'll be about personal preference as far as the top one being selected, but if you're looking for a guy who can develop into a great LT and not an average one, Solder has to be at near the top of that list.

Master Exploder
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
I'd rather take a gamble on Tyron Smith. Both have similar upside in my opinion.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
My problem with him is that I think he'd be better if he was 6'7 than 6'9. He's not quite to LT what Ryan Mallett is to QB but he is a bit awkward and I don't like to see that out of a high ranked prospect. There are guys who can play at 6'9 but you need to carry a lot more weight than Solder currently is and you have to be a FREAK.

I think he can play LT but I wonder if this class isn't a bit weak and if he's benefiting from that

Matthew Jones
01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Great kid, very smart, was already productive in college (first-team All American this year), tons of physical tools.

ElectricEye
01-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Great kid, very smart, was already productive in college (first-team All American this year), tons of physical tools.

Consensus too. People seem to leave this out of the discussion. I know this is by no means an accurate barometer of pro prospects, but this isn't Bruce Campbell we're talking about like some people seem to think.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
The AA teams and postseason awards have become a sham. It's all about hype and at the non-glam positions (ie QB/RB/WR) most guys just default to voting for the best NFL prospects

ElectricEye
01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
The AA teams and postseason awards have become a sham. It's all about hype and at the non-glam positions (ie QB/RB/WR) most guys just default to voting for the best NFL prospects

But you don't vote for a complete scrub with potential like some people seem to imply.

bullg8rdaddy
01-23-2011, 09:01 PM
I like the kid. Could he start out at RT and eventually make the transition to LT?

Mr. Goosemahn
01-23-2011, 09:37 PM
It's all about potenial. He's very athletic and has the frame to add weight. If he bulks up to around 330, he should still be athletic enough to stop speed rushers as well as strong defensive ends.

Again, potential. And it's not as if he has bad tape, he was just abused vs. cal and that's what people are focusing on.

ElectricEye
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
It's all about potenial. He's very athletic and has the frame to add weight. If he bulks up to around 330, he should still be athletic enough to stop speed rushers as well as strong defensive ends.

Again, potential. And it's not as if he has bad tape, he was just abused vs. cal and that's what people are focusing on.
There's really worse guys to get abused by than Cameron Jordan as well. Wasn't matched up on him the entire game, but did have to deal with him quite a bit.

cajuncorey
01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
with regard to the lack of talent in this years OT class, i would take a chance on a guy with potential like solder because if u take a finished product hes going to suck.

BeerBaron
01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
with regard to the lack of talent in this years OT class, i would take a chance on a guy with potential like solder because if u take a finished product hes going to suck.

I disagree. I think Sherrod is one of the more "polished" types of tackles available and I think he could step in and be an upgrade for a good number of teams at LT right away. Would he ever be a guy who would make multiple pro bowls and dominate with athleticism? I don't think so, but like I said, I think he'd more than hold his own and be solid player.

Solder definitely has the higher ceiling with his athleticism, but I think theres a much greater chance of him not putting it together and sucking outrigiht.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I disagree. I think Sherrod is one of the more "polished" types of tackles available and I think he could step in and be an upgrade for a good number of teams at LT right away. Would he ever be a guy who would make multiple pro bowls and dominate with athleticism? I don't think so, but like I said, I think he'd more than hold his own and be solid player.

Solder definitely has the higher ceiling with his athleticism, but I think theres a much greater chance of him not putting it together and sucking outrigiht.

I think Solder will wind up bulking up to 330 (at least) in the pros, since he's currently 314 and he's being called "almost looks thin."

if he can conserve his athleticism while gaining strength/muscle, he could be extremely good. And coaching, too.

I wasn't high on him at all earlier in the year, but He's definitely growing on me as of late.

Iamcanadian
01-24-2011, 08:47 PM
My problem with him is that I think he'd be better if he was 6'7 than 6'9. He's not quite to LT what Ryan Mallett is to QB but he is a bit awkward and I don't like to see that out of a high ranked prospect. There are guys who can play at 6'9 but you need to carry a lot more weight than Solder currently is and you have to be a FREAK.

I think he can play LT but I wonder if this class isn't a bit weak and if he's benefiting from that

The LT class is weak and I agree that at over 6'8", he could be too tall to handle shorter players. He's a work in progress who needs a lot of work in the gym building up his overall strength. Can he add weight or is he just one of those guys who just cannot gain an once???

BPhilb
01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
I really only watched him a lot when he played Missouri, but the last two seasons he had horrible showings. Aldon Smith absolutely abused him his junior year. I want the Chiefs to take a tackle so bad I can taste it, but I would rather them take someone else if Soldier was the pick.

Clarkw267
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Solder reminds me of Jared Veldheer from the Raiders. Super long frames, and outstanding athletic ability, but the toughness in the run game is a question mark.

BeerBaron
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Solder reminds me of Jared Veldheer from the Raiders. Super long frames, and outstanding athletic ability, but the toughness in the run game is a question mark.

If anything, Solder has struggled more in pass blocking while doing well as a run blocker despite his frame.

ElectricEye
01-24-2011, 10:45 PM

I think both of those guys are pretty darn good run blockers actually.

RaiderNation
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM

Veldheer blocked for the 2nd rank rushing team in the NFL. Most of the runs were to the left behind him and Gallery. Veldheer was solid in pass protection as well and has a very bright future IMO.

Clarkw267
01-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Veldheer blocked for the 2nd rank rushing team in the NFL. Most of the runs were to the left behind him and Gallery. Veldheer was solid in pass protection as well and has a very bright future IMO.

He has definitely developed that aspect of his game since turning pro, but look at any scouting report on Veldheer coming out of Hillsdale and you'll see the same questions about his run blocking and aggressiveness in the run game.

I think him and Solder are pretty comparable players.

Byrd430
01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
I just really feel like Solder is going to have tons of problems defending the pass rushers who can get low and just slip under (or around) his block. But he has also surprised me in how well he run blocks.

With that said, he's definitely worth a gamble due to his athleticism, but to me is definitely not the top T on the board. If I were a GM, I wouldn't take this kid with a first round pick, but would take a chance if affordable in the second round.

killxswitch
01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
The game vs. Cal definitely colors my opinion of him. According to a Colorado alum I know he showed improvement each game and was doing well both in pass pro and run blocking by the end of the college season. I respect the guy telling me this so take it for whatever that's worth.

LizardState
01-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Apparently he's having a horrible Sr. Bowl practice but it's only the 1st day.

Putting future weight on that elongated frame & having a speculative Combine workout showcasing improved footwork in drills & good interviews regarding addedd weight will be the biggest factors in solidifying a place among the 1st 3-4 OTs drafted. If not, he will drop like a rock b/c he has to overcome this "project" reputation

SRogers92
01-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Solder is a very good run blocker ... I'd say that's more his forte than pass blocking ... people here amazingly athletic LT and they immediately assume this guys a clone of D'Brickashaw Ferguson ... good pass blocker, not tough in the run game ... I'd say it's more the opposite ... Solder displays good ability and very good ability at the second level blocking down field ... his technique in pass blocking, while athletic, has been pathetic.

ElectricEye
01-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Apparently he's having a horrible Sr. Bowl practice but it's only the 1st day.

I wouldn't say horrible, but mixed is defiantly the word. Cameron Jordan owned him again today and Kerrigan did yesterday. Stonewalled the latter of the two in one on ones in todays practice.

brasho
01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Ha Ha! Touche.
Beat me to it!

OaklandRaider56
01-26-2011, 12:19 AM
I haven't gotten to see him play as much as I would like but from what I have seen, he doesn't have the mentality I like in offensive lineman, like Eugene Monroe. He's got the size, strength, speed, and quick feet but lacks that mean streak I want in offensive lineman/DL/LBs. I wouldn't touch him in the first round, personally, but he undoubtedly has huge upside; and with the right coaching, Solder can definitely develop into a pro bowl LT.

FUNBUNCHER
01-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Solder doesn't pass block well enough to be the first OT off the board, but unfortunately he may be the best of a mediocre bunch.

jtice2003
01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Hes a project. Former tight end with off the charts physical numbers at 6'8, 315 (with room to grow).

There are not that many 6'8 lineman in the league, a few here and there yes but, still not many. As a DL its all about positioning agaist the Tackles. If this guy maxes out his frame, gets some good coaching, shows it on the field, and lands in a good system, he is a pro bowler in the making, a franchise LT.

That being said, this is a weaker then usual OL draft with no one i can see as a Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady type.. of course those guys are pretty unique.

Iamcanadian
01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Well, Mayock said the scouts and GM's he talked to are comparing Solder to Tony Boselli and said he will have no problem adding 30-35lbs. of weight. A top 15 guy for sure maybe even a top 10 before all is said and done.

wordofi
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
If he's going to bulk up to 330 lbs., then he needs to maintain his low body fat %. Otherwise, he's just wasting his time. It's absolutely pointless to weight 330 lbs. just to weigh 330 lbs. I'd rather have a guy at 315 lbs. and low body fat than a guy at 330 lbs. and high body fat.

Iamcanadian
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
If he's going to bulk up to 330 lbs., then he needs to maintain his low body fat %. Otherwise, he's just wasting his time. It's absolutely pointless to weight 330 lbs. just to weigh 330 lbs. I'd rather have a guy at 315 lbs. and low body fat than a guy at 330 lbs. and high body fat.

He's 6'8" and can carry 335lbs easily without any loss in ability. At 315lbs, he would get pushed around by bull rushers.

FUNBUNCHER
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, Mayock said the scouts and GM's he talked to are comparing Solder to Tony Boselli and said he will have no problem adding 30-35lbs. of weight. A top 15 guy for sure maybe even a top 10 before all is said and done.

That's idiotic mentioning Boselli and Solder in the same sentence!!

Boselli could have been an all-pro as a junior out of USC.

Honestly, if scouts are comparing Solder to Boselli, that's gotta be a smokescreen to drive up his value on some team's board.

Boselli was one of the greatest LT prospects ever, if not THE greatest, in the modern era of pro scouting.

BeerBaron
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
That's idiotic mentioning Boselli and Solder in the same sentence!!

Boselli could have been an all-pro as a junior out of USC.

Honestly, if scouts are comparing Solder to Boselli, that's gotta be a smokescreen to drive up his value on some team's board.

Boselli was one of the greatest LT prospects ever, if not THE greatest, in the modern era of pro scouting.

Orlando Pace not giving up a sack as a senior and getting Heisman votes and then having a HoF NFL career disagrees with you.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
He's 6'8" and can carry 335lbs easily without any loss in ability. At 315lbs, he would get pushed around by bull rushers.
Solder would have something to gain from a little bulk, even.

TACKLE
01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Orlando Pace not giving up a sack as a senior and getting Heisman votes and then having a HoF NFL career disagrees with you.

Agreed.

I'd say

1. Pace
2. Boselli
3. Gallery/Joe Thomas

FUNBUNCHER
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM

For OTs and Dlineman, it's not always about good weight, it's the equation of bulk/mass/force/power that makes being 'big' so important to OTs and DTs.

A DB who weighs 205#, bench presses 450# and squats 550# will never be able to consistently block a hard rushing 285# DE because he lacks the bulk to anchor, and he'll never be able to overpower a 320# OT because he lacks the mass and force behind his weight room strength numbers.

A strong, bigger body can play with more force/power than a small strong guy.

So even if Solder gains 30# with half of it being fat, it's going to benefit him as a run blocker and pass protecter because the added mass makes it harder for someone to move him off the block and allows him to play with more force in the run game.

yourfavestoner
01-26-2011, 06:46 PM

As prospects, sure (although Boselli isn't that far behind him). Make no mistake though, if Boselli's career had not been ended prematurely by quack doctors butchering his shoulders, he'd be considered the GOAT at LT.

And comparing Solder to Boselli is insulting.

killxswitch
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Solder might be good eventually but its just seems like he has too far to go to help teams that need a starter right away.