PDA

View Full Version : Which 5 technique DE has the most upside??

MrRedskins
01-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Obviously I'm a Skins fan and we have a plethora of needs but I'm hoping that we go DE, not QB (which is what everyone keeps mocking us) in the 1st round.

So my question is:
Of all the DEs available, which one can produce TODAY (this kicks Allen Bailey out of the discussion, waaaaaay too raw for the 10th pick) and also progress into a top tier player at the position??

I'm torn in between Cameron Jordan and Ryan Kerrigan...but which one?? Hmmmm

Quailman
01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Ryan Kerrigan? That guy is most definitely NOT a 5 technique.

Cameron Jordan.

SilentJaguar
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Kerrigan's nowhere close to being a 5-tech. Jordan/Heyward/maybe Watt would be your best bets after Dareus comes off the board.

ElectricEye
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Ryan Kerrigan shouldn't be put near the five technique. Cameron Jordan is the answer here. Has the potential to be real disruptive at the next level. JJ Watt isn't far behind.

Bengals78
01-25-2011, 12:57 AM
The Mighty JJ Watt

descendency
01-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Kerrigan is a 9 tech

Jordan is a 5 tech

Watt is a 7 tech. . . (oh yea, I said it)

MrRedskins
01-25-2011, 01:27 AM
You guys think Kerrigan is strickly a 4-3 DE, or do you think he can play 3-4 rush LB?? He reminds me of Kyle Vanden Bosch who I would love to have as a DE in our 3-4, not opposite Orakpo.

MrRedskins
01-25-2011, 01:35 AM
I think Kerrigan can play 5 or 9 technique.

Ppl loooooove them some WATT! I have to be honest and say I don't know too much about the guy. If u don't mind me asking, what are his strenths and weaknesses??

Duffman57
01-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Kerrigan is a 9 tech

Jordan is a 5 tech

Watt is a 7 tech. . . (oh yea, I said it)

I endorse this message!

descendency
01-25-2011, 01:38 AM
I think Kerrigan can play 5 or 9 technique

No one is going to play 5 technique at 255 LBs. He'd have to be 280 at the very least to even hold the POA against a guard or tackle.

MrRedskins
01-25-2011, 01:44 AM
He weighed in at 255?!?! Wtf I thought he would be closer to 270..........my bad, 9 technique it is. There goes my Kerrigan dream.

Bengals78
01-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I think Kerrigan can play 5 or 9 technique.

Ppl loooooove them some WATT! I have to be honest and say I don't know too much about the guy. If u don't mind me asking, what are his strenths and weaknesses??

Strengths - Size: 6-6 292, Strong, Adequate speed but wont be mistaken for Dwight Freeney any time soon, Excellent hand skills, keeps the blockers hands off of his, always busy with the hands. Good footwork. Ability to rush from the edge or inside. Played TE so he knows what the offense is thinking ;)

Weaknesses - Raw. Very limited film to watch. Played TE before moving to DE. Only started for 1 year. May not actually have a "true position." Could be DE in a 4-3 or UT in a 4-3 depending on the scheme. Could also be a 3-4 DE. Versatility, a blessing and curse.

Master Exploder
01-25-2011, 01:55 AM
I think Cameron Jordan will be a top 10 draft pick. He's by far the best behind Nick Fairley and Marcell Dareus in my opinion. And honestly, I'm not sold on Nick Fairley playing in a 3-4 defense as a DE. So, I'd say Dareus, Jordan, Heyward, Watt in that order as the best in the draft.

MrRedskins
01-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Lol @ played TE so knows what the offense is thinking...that's funny.

Bengals, is he worth a 10th pick? Is he Justin Smith esque (helluva player NOW but not necessarily a guy I want to take in the top 10)?

Bengals78
01-25-2011, 02:22 AM
If I was a 3-4 team in need of an end, yes.
I am a bit biased. (Well noted JJ ***** here)
I think he can be worth it. It is a risky pick but I think it is worth it.
The combine will tell a lot. He times well and shows up in drills, expect him to skyrocket IMO

Justin Smith was so mistreated by fans in Cincy. He was a stud. So underrated.

Day One Pick
01-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Um...Nick Fairley...and Kerrigan is an OLB in a 3-4 as already mentioned.

FUNBUNCHER
01-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Don't know why people are sleeping on Cameron Heyward. I haven't seen Cameron Jordan play this season so I'll refrain from commenting, but I do know that Heyward is a 4 year starter and has at times flashed the ability to take over games from his interior position.
He destroyed that top ranked OT from Arkansas in their bowl game and was unblockable one on one.

AntoinCD
01-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Um...Nick Fairley...and Kerrigan is an OLB in a 3-4 as already mentioned.

Nick Fairley in Houston with Wade Phillip's defense would be a beast. Nick Fairley in New England with Bill Belichick's defense would be a bust. He doesn't have the discipline or technique to play as a 2 gap DE in the NFL. Put him in a one gap system as either a 3 technique or attacking 5 technique and he will flourish

Day One Pick
01-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Nick Fairley in Houston with Wade Phillip's defense would be a beast. Nick Fairley in New England with Bill Belichick's defense would be a bust. He doesn't have the discipline or technique to play as a 2 gap DE in the NFL. Put him in a one gap system as either a 3 technique or attacking 5 technique and he will flourish

What makes you say that? Have you seen him play 5 tech? 99% of players who end up on a 3-4 team have to change their technique. Sure he doesn't play like a 5 tech at Auburn because he's not supposed to. I know I've seen the kid stand up blockers and drive them into the backfield. He's a football player, not a one trick pony. I can almost guarantee if given the option any 3-4 team in the league would take Fairley over any other prospect if given the option.

SRogers92
01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Marvin Austin sliding over to DE would be the best, IMO.

Don Vito
01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I'd say Fairley or Dareus.

LizardState
01-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I'd say Fairley or Dareus.

I think both of those are top 5 guys

True 5-tech? Cameron Jordan.

Fairley is a true 4-3 DT IMO, he's the very early fave for #1 overall pick, has that happened since Mario Williams?

Dareus is all over the place, maybe best suited to a 3-4 DE in the NFL but no guarantee that will be the team that drafts him or Fairley either. Would absolutely love to see Dareus on my Cowboys to replace the Marcus Spears suckage but they won't move up to get him.

ElectricEye
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
He weighed in at 255?!?! Wtf I thought he would be closer to 270..........my bad, 9 technique it is. There goes my Kerrigan dream.

He was a rush linebacker even at 260+. Doesn't have the skillset to play five technique.

ToldLikeItIs
01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Chrissy ballard

keylime_5
01-25-2011, 10:38 AM
upside? I'd say Watt or Heyward. Jordan is beastly too but I've seen like 4 Cal games the past two years.

MrRedskins
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm not sleepin on Heyward, he just isn't worth a top 10 pick...last year he was but this year he was exposed, majorly!! He did beast out in the bowl game.

Marvin Austin is from my hometown, can u believe he played running back?? He also isn't worth the 10th pick...Now if we took Kerrigan in the 1st, Austin in the 2nd, I wouldn't be mad at all (although playing at home could spell trouble for Marvin)...but that scenario shatters my Rodney Hudson dream..lol