PDA

View Full Version : Justin Houston where is he projected

jetsfan0099
01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
To go??? Would he be there for say the Jets?? Is he a good 3-4 OLB/DE pass rusher prospect??

descendency
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
He's projected as a 34 OLB (where he played) in the late first round to early second, so yea, I would say he's a potential candidate for the Jets.

RealityCheck
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Maybe. Some have him in the Top 15, others in the late 1st round.
He could play OLB in a 3-4. I think he goes somewhere between #16 (Jaguars) and #24 (Saints).

descendency
01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Maybe. Some have him in the Top 15, others in the late 1st round.
He could play OLB in a 3-4. I think he goes somewhere between #16 (Jaguars) and #24 (Saints).

He's going to be fighting in that group of guys like Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, and a few others to be a mid to late first round 34 OLB.

RealityCheck
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah. So many teams need pass rushers. Quinn, Kerrigan, Smith and Houston will all be first rounders and Von Miller has a high chance to be as well.

thegreatone
01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Don't see him getting past KC, or maybe Baltimore at the latest.

So very slim chance he falls to the Jets unless they move up.

ThePudge
01-25-2011, 07:51 PM
I think Justin Houston is picked in the first 21 picks (with Kansas City being the likely floor.) Miami, New England, and San Diego all work in the 15-18 range. Ultimately I think he winds up there. Most likely a 3-4 rush LB.

TACKLE
01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Don't see him getting past KC

I think Justin Houston is picked in the first 21 picks (with Kansas City being the likely floor.)

I don't really see KC taking him. Sure they need a pass rusher opposite of Tamba but they have two young guys in Studebaker and Cameron Sheffield (a guy they liked who missed the whole season with injury) who they will probably let develop. Not to mention, Pioli has a history of not taking edge rushers early on in the draft.

FUNBUNCHER
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I'll make this simple.

If Houston blazes in his 40, better than 4.65, and tests well at the combine and looks smooth in dropback drills, if he shows up at 6'3, 245+# he's going to be the first OLB off the board.

I think he goes top 15.

GB12
01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd take him over any 3-4 OLB in this draft besides maybe Robert Quinn. Definitely my ideal pick for the Packers, but he'll probably be long gone before that.

brasho
01-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Anybody else think that a 4-3 team in need of a RDE that watches Quinn, A. Smith, and Kerrigan leave the board take a shot at Houston?

FUNBUNCHER
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
They could, a 4-3 team select Houston for RDE, but I don't think it's a great fit for him in the pros.

bored of education
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
One thing I like about Houston is that fact he spent time already in a 3-4, he is not a transitional guy who spent 3-4 years in college with his hand in the dirt. He can make that effortless transition and play OLB. I would think he could be picking anywhere between 20-45.

AntoinCD
01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
If guys like Kerrigan, Smith, Quinn, Jordan, Watt etc are gone by 17 I would not be against taking Houston there. Definite mid-late first rounder. I would actually be surprised if he got by KC

Matthew Jones
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
One thing I like about Houston is that fact he spent time already in a 3-4, he is not a transitional guy who spent 3-4 years in college with his hand in the dirt. He can make that effortless transition and play OLB. I would think he could be picking anywhere between 20-45.

He spent time in a 3-4, but to say that he can make an "effortless transition" is going too far. Watch Houston this year, and you'll see someone who almost never dropped into coverage, and basically was sent after the quarterback on every play from either a two or three-point stance. His role was more of a defensive end who would stand up and rush the passer from the edge at times. That said, I think he's a solid pick in the middle of the first round.

FUNBUNCHER
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, but one of the few times Houston dropped into coverage last season, against Ga Tech, he looked smooth and snagged an INT.

He's a little underrated at this point, I think.

descendency
01-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, but one of the few times Houston dropped into coverage last season, against Ga Tech, he looked smooth and snagged an INT.

He's a little underrated at this point, I think.

The only barrier for Houston will be how the other OLBs grade out with teams. I don't see him as significantly better, so his status will be very fluid. If a team values him really high (compared to other OLBs) but has someone (at another position) valued higher, he could fall.

I see him as a mid 1st to mid 2nd kind of guy. I really would probably emphasize the first half of that (let's say pick 15 to pick 33) over the second half (34 to 50). I've seen a few sites that still have him in the 34-50 range though.