PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Reed Arizona DE

thegreatone
01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
I've been watching some tape on the guy, and have become a huge fan. The guy just has a relentless motor, and I think hes definitely athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB.

What are your guys thoughts on him, and what round will he be taken in?

Also, who do you think he compares to in the NFL?

brasho
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm wondering why there isn't more buzz on Ricky Elmore, his teammate from Arizona. Elmore was far more productive than Reed and he only got invited to the Shrine Game while Reed goes to the Senior Bowl.

The guys on NFLN keep comparing Reed to Clay Matthews and I can see that a little bit.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm wondering why there isn't more buzz on Ricky Elmore, his teammate from Arizona. Elmore was far more productive than Reed and he only got invited to the Shrine Game while Reed goes to the Senior Bowl.

The guys on NFLN keep comparing Reed to Clay Matthews and I can see that a little bit.

Elmore is a limited athlete and doesn't always play with good technique. I think he's seriously underrated as well, don't get me wrong, but there are some issues with him.

Reed is going to make some 3-4 team very happy in the second round. He has a really good motor, is a VERY good athlete, and is very coachable. Needs some serious polish, but he's speed and abilities in space play very well at the next level. Needs to prove he can stay healthy though and injuries are really the only reason he never took off as much as he should in college.

AntoinCD
01-26-2011, 08:45 AM
The comparisons to Clay Matthews are obvious because he is a relentless, pass rushing white guy with long blonde hair. That all being taken into account he is simply not the athlete that Matthews is. He is a lot stiffer than Clay and isn't as good a pass rusher. I think he sneaks into the second round and wouldn't actually mind the Patriots taking a look at him there.

thegreatone
01-26-2011, 08:52 AM
I had a feeling people were going to bring up Mathews. I didn't because I thought it was lazy.

I was trying to think of another comparison, but couldn't really think of one.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 09:45 AM
The comparisons to Clay Matthews are obvious because he is a relentless, pass rushing white guy with long blonde hair. That all being taken into account he is simply not the athlete that Matthews is. He is a lot stiffer than Clay and isn't as good a pass rusher. I think he sneaks into the second round and wouldn't actually mind the Patriots taking a look at him there.

Yeah...none of this is true man. He's the same caliber of athlete, if not better. ESPN had him on the list of workout warriors before the offseason and that's really his calling card. He'll probably run a similar 40 at nearly twenty pounds heavier. He's not stiff at all and looks completely comfortable in space. Better than with his hand in the ground even. He is good pass rusher too. Arizona's defense was fun to watch with him and Elmore this year. He finished the year out with 11 sacks and was really hard to keep out of the backfield. He needs to improve his pass rush moves as most of the sacks he gets are on athleticism and effort, but that plays well to being outside in a 3-4 where he'll often have times where he's unblocked initially.

AntoinCD
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Yeah...none of this is true man. He's the same caliber of athlete, if not better. ESPN had him on the list of workout warriors before the offseason and that's really his calling card. He'll probably run a similar 40 at nearly twenty pounds heavier. He's not stiff at all and looks completely comfortable in space. Better than with his hand in the ground even. He is good pass rusher too. Arizona's defense was fun to watch with him and Elmore this year. He finished the year out with 11 sacks and was really hard to keep out of the backfield. He needs to improve his pass rush moves as most of the sacks he gets are on athleticism and effort, but that plays well to being outside in a 3-4 where he'll often have times where he's unblocked initially.

See I disagree. I don't think he is stiff to the point where he can't play OLB and in fact think it will be his best fit at the next level. I just don't think he's on the same level as Clay Matthews. Also Matthews weighed in at 10lbs lighter than Reed at the Senior Bowl. Matthews also ran a 4.67 at the combine and I don't think Reed breaks 4.75

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 10:09 AM
See I disagree. I don't think he is stiff to the point where he can't play OLB and in fact think it will be his best fit at the next level. I just don't think he's on the same level as Clay Matthews. Also Matthews weighed in at 10lbs lighter than Reed at the Senior Bowl. Matthews also ran a 4.67 at the combine and I don't think Reed breaks 4.75

Clay as a prospect really wasn't that fluid. He was more in the mold of an undersized defensive end. Not a guy I would be comfortable dropping into coverage without proving he can do it. Now, he's done that in the NFL, but there was nothing to suggest he could in college. We've seen far more of Reed in open field and it's a pretty sure thing he can do it. Scott even goes out of his way multiple times in the report to say how fluid he is.

As far as speed goes, I'll be absolutely shocked if he doesn't run at least 4.65 judging both by the times we've been given for him and more importantly, what we've seen on the field. He's lost some weight and will probably be down to 250ish for the combine with some technique training he could run even lower than that. Certified workout warrior we're talking about here.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
JBond has a huge man crush on Reed

brasho
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Clay as a prospect really wasn't that fluid. He was more in the mold of an undersized defensive end. Not a guy I would be comfortable dropping into coverage without proving he can do it. Now, he's done that in the NFL, but there was nothing to suggest he could in college. We've seen far more of Reed in open field and it's a pretty sure thing he can do it. Scott even goes out of his way multiple times in the report to say how fluid he is.

As far as speed goes, I'll be absolutely shocked if he doesn't run at least 4.65 judging both by the times we've been given for him and more importantly, what we've seen on the field. He's lost some weight and will probably be down to 250ish for the combine with some technique training he could run even lower than that. Certified workout warrior we're talking about here.

Wasn't Clay a DE his first 3 seasons at USC?

Matthew Jones
01-26-2011, 02:01 PM
He's going to be a good player in the NFL, although probably never a star. I think his stock at this point is somewhere in the late second or early third round, and he's going to be drafted to play linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Probably too small for defensive end at the next level.

brasho
01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
He's going to be a good player in the NFL, although probably never a star. I think his stock at this point is somewhere in the late second or early third round, and he's going to be drafted to play linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Probably too small for defensive end at the next level.

Tell that to a 4-3 team in desperate need of a pass rush.

SenorGato
01-26-2011, 03:45 PM
More Koa Misi than Clay Matthews...which is really only a knock because Matthews is a stah...

I think Miller is closer to Matthews...I also think it's hard to compare anyone to Matthews because my gut tells me he's juiced out of his fn mind anyway...

brasho
01-26-2011, 04:52 PM
More Koa Misi than Clay Matthews...which is really only a knock because Matthews is a stah...

I think Miller is closer to Matthews...I also think it's hard to compare anyone to Matthews because my gut tells me he's juiced out of his fn mind anyway...

Really, because his brother told me that... because the apple falls reeeeeeeeaaaaaally far from tree with those two. Seriously, there is no way those two share the same genetic code in their gene pool. Casey is fairly average built and everytime I see Clay flex his biceps I wonder how I (a 37 year old natural bodybuilder) come my biceps don't look anything like his despite me being in the gym for a good 10-15 years longer than he has. Seriously, he's probably only been pounding the weights for 10 years tops and his biceps are ridiculous.

TheMorningZoo
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
A little OT, but while on the subject of Clay Matthews I thought I would intervene. He played at Agoura High School in Ventura County, in California. I played at Westlake, and well-they consider us their rival haha (we don't). In 2003 (he was a senior) we played them twice. Once in the regular season (league) and playoffs. Long story short, the whole media likes to Portray this whole " he was an undersized walk on at USC and all of a sudden "bloomed" and grew".

I have to say... F ucking B ullshit!

He was a stud in high school, at 6'2ish, 220 lbs. He played linebacker and was all league. I don't know what his offers were, apparently Idaho was the only one who came calling, but the media likes to make Clay a "cinderella" story.

His brother played at Oaks Christian down the street and he was solid as well, received more fanfare than Clay did in HS, but obviously in hindsight we all know how Clay is doing now.

He busted his ass at USC and the rest is history. I just get tired of people wondering how he grew so massive (according to the media).

ThePudge
01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
I have a feeling this guy (Reed) will go a lot higher than many, including myself, think. There's a 1st Round surprise every year and this time will be no different. The two I'm highlighting from the Senior Bowl with a chance to sneak into the Late 1st are Brooks Reed and Miami WR Leonard Hankerson. One of the best 3-4 OLB prospects in this class and someone I really slept on as an NFL prospect for most of the year.

I don't see him getting out of the draft's first 50 picks. He'll blow up the Combine and continue to wow scouts/coaches alike in Mobile with his ability to stand up and play in space. Pass-rushing moves are far from refined, but he already possesses good speed off the edge, a decent bull-rush, and a nice spin move.

SenorGato
01-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a feeling this guy (Reed) will go a lot higher than many, including myself, think. There's a 1st Round surprise every year and this time will be no different. The two I'm highlighting from the Senior Bowl with a chance to sneak into the Late 1st are Brooks Reed and Miami WR Leonard Hankerson. One of the best 3-4 OLB prospects in this class and someone I really slept on as an NFL prospect for most of the year.

I don't see him getting out of the draft's first 50 picks. He'll blow up the Combine and continue to wow scouts/coaches alike in Mobile with his ability to stand up and play in space. Pass-rushing moves are far from refined, but he already possesses good speed off the edge, a decent bull-rush, and a nice spin move.

Funnily enough, all those things happened to Misi who ended up drafted early in the 2nd at 40th overall.

I agree that this guy is going to go higher than what's been perceived so far...

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Difference is Reed is going to blow up at the right time. Misi disappointed a bit at the Senior Bowl if I remember correctly. Reed is just starting to take off. He's going to test really well at the combine too, something Misi didn't do.

I have to say I agree with Pudge. If there's going to be a first round surprise this year it may well be Reed. He's starting to be everyones silver medal in the second round. When that starts happening, those guys rarely last that long.

MaybeDavis
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I've been watching some tape on the guy, and have become a huge fan. The guy just has a relentless motor, and I think hes definitely athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB.

What are your guys thoughts on him, and what round will he be taken in?

Also, who do you think he compares to in the NFL?

Where did you find that tape? Can't find anything of him. Can you tell me where I can watch some stuff. At Youtube is nothing, only Interviews. Thanks for the help.

jetsfan0099
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
So do you think their is a possibility that the Jets could reach and take him at #30?? This team needs a pass rusher badly