PDA

View Full Version : Phil Taylor a Legit 1st Rounder

jetsfan0099
01-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Read that hes doing good at Mobile, is he going to rise his stock into the 1st round?? At least to the level of a pick 30 type player where the Jets draft as we could use a young NT and seeing that hes 6'3 337 and carries the weight well, makes me intrigued.

AntoinCD
01-26-2011, 10:06 AM
He has been impressive but I don't think he will do enough to get into the first round. He's probably more of a mid second round pick at the moment but seems to have emerged as the top 34 NT prospect in the draft.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 10:29 AM
He'll likely he overdrafted just because of the high demand for a NT. I think he could well be the best one in this draft, but I wouldn't be comfortable with saying first round right now. Early second sure, but first is a bit too high.

bored of education
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I have been saying a few days Phil Taylor should get serious consideration for the 1st round pick. Look at the picks after KC of 3-4 teams that need an NT either right away or to build around:

30: NYJ
32. Pitt
Round 2:
8. Dallas
9. Washington
10. Houston

I dont see how he gets past Houston in the 2nd round

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I dont see how he gets past Houston in the 2nd round

That's probably my floor for him as well.

I don't think he'll be Pro Bowl type guy, but the ability is there if he gets some good coaching. He's certainly separating himself from the other NT's down in Mobile this week.

Umoro
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Would he be more of a 3-4 NT run-stuffer or a run-stuffing 4-3 DT?

AntoinCD
01-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Would he be more of a 3-4 NT run-stuffer or a run-stuffing 4-3 DT?

Definitely a space eater, preferably in a 2 gap 34. I dont see Houston being a legit option though because he's not a great fit for Wade Phillip's attacking defense. I think if they go NT it would more likely be someone like Sione Fua

My guess right now would be he goes to Washington in the second

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Definitely a space eater, preferably in a 2 gap 34. I dont see Houston being a legit option though because he's not a great fit for Wade Phillip's attacking defense. I think if they go NT it would more likely be someone like Sione Fua

Eh. Wade has done it with different guys in the middle. His scheme was at it's best with Jamal Williams in his prime back for the Chargers. Won't have any personal control in Houston either.

AntoinCD
01-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Eh. Wade has done it with different guys in the middle. His scheme was at it's best with Jamal Williams in his prime back for the Chargers. Won't have any personal control in Houston either.

He also had better DEs in SD than in Dallas. It's interesting because Williams was a guy who would clog up the middle while Ratliff was a penetrator at the nose.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I know just which one I would prefer if I were the Houston front office. Ratliff got waaaay too much credit for a few years. Shouldn't be starting NT regardless of gaps.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
I doubt he'll go in the first round because pure 3-4 NT don't go that high unless they have been absolutely dominant their entire collegiate career. I can, however, see him going in the 2nd due to how many teams run the 3-4 that can use a NT. Right now I'm projecting him to the Texans in round 2.

ellsy82
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Casey Hampton did. Although, sometimes I wonder why they don't use him more in nickle packages. He's a definite consideration at the top of the first. I see him going to New Orleans in the first at his highest possible draft position.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Casey Hampton did. Although, sometimes I wonder why they don't use him more in nickle packages. He's a definite consideration at the top of the first. I see him going to New Orleans in the first at his highest possible draft position.

I wouldn't hate that but Gregg Williams looks for more versatility in his D-Linemen. Taylor, to me, is a pure 3-4 NT.

Poz51
01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I love that he showed up at 337?, but cant get over that he showed up to Penn St. at 380?. There is the misdameanor charges that got him booted off the P.S.U. team, but he has stayed clean since. I had him as a 2nd rounder last year before he decided to stay, have him as a second rounder this year as well, and think that if he can improve/prove his endurance and stamina could sneak into the tail end of the first round with the Jets and Steelers being possibilities. Most likely 2nd round though.
Side note: Ted Washington, Pat Williams and Kris Jenkins all contributed to highly successful 4-3 defenses, why are prospects of such stature consistantly talked about as strictly 3-4 NT's? Taylor IMO could be a run stuffer in either system...

Day One Pick
01-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Phil Taylor's ability has never really been in question. Where the question marks on him have been do to character issues and work ethic questions. He was kicked off the Penn State team and his weight has been as high as the 370 range.

Due to the number of 3-4 teams now in the NFL and the lack of quality 3-4 nose tackle prospects Taylor has remained in atleast the 2nd round range.

Now he's blowing up at the Senior Bowl playing against the best competition he's ever seen. He has one of the most positive "buzzes" of any prospect there.

Add this all up and you get a player who will be drafted in the first round barring any negative issues (legal/injury/drug test/ect.) in the meantime.

If he get's past pick #30, he'll be a Steeler (unless Mike Pouncey is still on the board).

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I like Kenrick Ellis more.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Phil Taylor's ability has never really been in question. Where the question marks on him have been do to character issues and work ethic questions. He was kicked off the Penn State team and his weight has been as high as the 370 range.

Due to the number of 3-4 teams now in the NFL and the lack of quality 3-4 nose tackle prospects Taylor has remained in atleast the 2nd round range.

Now he's blowing up at the Senior Bowl playing against the best competition he's ever seen. He has one of the most positive "buzzes" of any prospect there.

Add this all up and you get a player who will be drafted in the first round barring any negative issues (legal/injury/drug test/ect.) in the meantime.

If he get's past pick #30, he'll be a Steeler (unless Mike Pouncey is still on the board).

Mike Pouncey will be on the board and he'll probably be there in the 2nd round too. He's just not the prospect his brother is and is not a 1st round pick. There will be a nice OT left on the board for the Steelers if they choose to go in that direction.

jetsfan0099
01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
The Jets could use a young NT, Kris Jenkins is going to be cut unless he takes a paycut and hes old and can't stay healthy.. Sione Pouha is solid but 31 years old, so it would be the time to get a NT to work in and help free up the LBs.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
The Jets could use a young NT, Kris Jenkins is going to be cut unless he takes a paycut and hes old and can't stay healthy.. Sione Pouha is solid but 31 years old, so it would be the time to get a NT to work in and help free up the LBs.

That makes a ton of sense, tbh. I had Allen Bailey going to the Jets in my first mock draft but will change that because Bailey has struggled at the Senior Bowl showcasing only one move. He has a huge upside but it will take him time to develop. Taylor is the type that you can insert on day one.

Poz51
01-26-2011, 12:30 PM

They are a dominate defense with Jenkins, without him they are very good, injuries certainly limit him, and I would agree put his future with the Jets, and in general, in jeopardy... Age is catching up to the Jets line quickly all around. Although not as athletic IMO as Jenkins, Taylor would be a great replacement which is why I put his ceiling right now at the Jets pick, I think it would be a great pick up for them.

Poz51
01-26-2011, 12:36 PM
That makes a ton of sense, tbh. I had Allen Bailey going to the Jets in my first mock draft but will change that because Bailey has struggled at the Senior Bowl showcasing only one move. He has a huge upside but it will take him time to develop. Taylor is the type that you can insert on day one.

I see Bailey falling big time IMO, I think he's in the 3rd round and moving down, one move, and not even dominate, he might be built like a $h!t brick house, but plays like a straw house... Im starting to think that his upside is limited, and time wont help. His best option in the NFL might be as an undersized UT.

Day One Pick
01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Mike Pouncey will be on the board and he'll probably be there in the 2nd round too. He's just not the prospect his brother is and is not a 1st round pick. There will be a nice OT left on the board for the Steelers if they choose to go in that direction.

I disagree with half of what you said. The part about Mike not being the prospect Maurkice was I agree on. But I disagree that he isn't worth a first round pick. He's not a center, he's a guard. He was playing out of position this year and got knocked for it. That said, I think that shows the type of team player he is to move to an unfamiliar position with his draft stock at stake. I'm nearly 100% certain the Steelers will draft him if he's available. Because of the need at guard the Steelers have and the fact they have Maurkice already, I don't think there's a better player in this class the Steelers could draft. The chemisty between those two lined up side by side for the next 10+ years would excite any Steelers fan.

I've been editing my OL rankings and I think Pouncey is the 4th best OL prospect in this class.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I just can't help but remember Gabe Watson when I hear about Phil Taylor's stock rising from the Senior Bowl practices.

diabsoule
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I disagree with half of what you said. The part about Mike not being the prospect Maurkice was I agree on. But I disagree that he isn't worth a first round pick. He's not a center, he's a guard. He was playing out of position this year and got knocked for it. That said, I think that shows the type of team player he is to move to an unfamiliar position with his draft stock at stake. I'm nearly 100% certain the Steelers will draft him if he's available. Because of the need at guard the Steelers have and the fact they have Maurkice already, I don't think there's a better player in this class the Steelers could draft. The chemisty between those two lined up side by side for the next 10+ years would excite any Steelers fan.

I've been editing my OL rankings and I think Pouncey is the 4th best OL prospect in this class.

I think that Danny Watkins fits the Steelers mold and is a better prospect than Mike Pouncey and he'll be there in the 1st.

Matthew Jones
01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Mike Pouncey would be a reach in the first round at this point. I don't see him as one of the top five or six linemen in this draft. That said, I think Pouncey to Pittsburgh is one of the picks everyone will be predicting come draft day, and for good reason.

Day One Pick
01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Mike Pouncey would be a reach in the first round at this point. I don't see him as one of the top five or six linemen in this draft. That said, I think Pouncey to Pittsburgh is one of the picks everyone will be predicting come draft day, and for good reason.

In editing my OL rankings I have Mike Pouncey 4th among OL prosects behind only Carimi, Costonzo, and Solder. I really think everyone is caught up in his issues snapping the ball. He won't have to worry about that in the NFL, guards don't snap.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Is everyone still high on Taylor after him not doing as well today?

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Is everyone still high on Taylor after him not doing as well today?

The practice started all of twenty minutes ago according the Shane. Hasn't been broadcasted yet either.

SenorGato
01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't hate that but Gregg Williams looks for more versatility in his D-Linemen. Taylor, to me, is a pure 3-4 NT.

May I suggest more imagination?

Not sure he's a first round guy, but he seems to have been moving up recently...Might just behis 15 minutes in this whole show...for now I have him on the short list of guys I think could be available at 29/30 for los Yets...I'd try him at all the DL spots on the 3 man DL...he's definitely a big guy.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
The practice started all of twenty minutes ago according the Shane. Hasn't been broadcasted yet either.
Twitter is your friend.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
May I suggest more imagination?

Not sure he's a first round guy, but he seems to have been moving up recently...Might just behis 15 minutes in this whole show...for now I have him on the short list of guys I think could be available at 29/30 for los Yets...I'd try him at all the DL spots on the 3 man DL...he's definitely a big guy.
I agree. People said Ngata was a 34 NT too.

fenikz
01-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I just can't help but remember Gabe Watson when I hear about Phil Taylor's stock rising from the Senior Bowl practices.

Well Gabe Watson went in the 4th, if someone could get Taylor in the 4th i think they would be very very happy

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Well Gabe Watson went in the 4th, if someone could get Taylor in the 4th i think they would be very very happy
I can agree with that. But the reason why he reminds me of Gabe Watson is because Watson stole the show at the Senior Bowl, but had a very mediocre college career. During SB week the love for him was amazing, and yes people were talking about him as a potential 1st rounder too. Once the hype of the SB dies down and people go back to looking at the tape, Taylor won't touch the 1st round... despite the bandwagoners wanting to put him there right now.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I can agree with that. But the reason why he reminds me of Gabe Watson is because Watson stole the show at the Senior Bowl, but had a very mediocre college career. During SB week the love for him was amazing, and yes people were talking about him as a potential 1st rounder too. Once the hype of the SB dies down and people go back to looking at the tape, Taylor won't touch the 1st round... despite the bandwagoners wanting to put him there right now.

Still man, twenty minutes? Not going to make or break a good week so far. Unless he got physically picked up and thrown through the goal post, I doubt anyones feelings are completely flipped yet.

Gabe Watson was already headed in the wrong direction at the Senior Bowl and only had mediocre week at best if memory serves. I distinctly remember Kiper getting on him for looking slow footed lazy at times. Some might have had a different perspective there, but Watson also had a pretty terrible post season process and gained weight from the Senior Bowl to combine.

Taylor also had a much better year this year than Watson ever had at Michigan. Far more active and around the ball. Last year I would totally buy that claim, but this year was a different story.

I would agree that he isn't worth a first round pick, but to suggest he isn't trending upward based forty five minutes of early returns on twitter after two straight days of dominating and a positive weigh in is a little absurd.

SenorGato
01-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah, Gabe Watson got the lazy and slow knock and never really separated himself from it...

Since he's a FA I'm curious to ask Cardinal fans what he's become....

I'm gonna wait to see what Taylor looks like after the hype kinda dies off...he's huge and he looked good for a couple days at the right time...those two things alone will start the "zomg first round!" talk.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah, Gabe Watson got the lazy and slow knock and never really separated himself from it...

Since he's a FA I'm curious to ask Cardinal fans what he's become....

I'm gonna wait to see what Taylor looks like after the hype kinda dies off...he's huge and he looked good for a couple days at the right time...those two things alone will start the "zomg first round!" talk.
To be frank, I think that's out of the question. It's possible, but it would be a reach. He doesn't play with good leverage or consistent power 100% of the time. He's another guy who has questionable effort, but I wouldn't put him in the Gabe Watson class. He says he wants to lose another ten pounds before the combine and I have to think if he's dedicated to it he can probably do it. 327 is textbook size for a NT and if he stays in that shape he could be very effective at the next level.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Still man, twenty minutes? Not going to make or break a good week so far. Unless he got physically picked up and thrown through the goal post, I doubt anyones feelings are completely flipped yet.

Gabe Watson was already headed in the wrong direction at the Senior Bowl and only had mediocre week at best if memory serves. I distinctly remember Kiper getting on him for looking slow footed lazy at times. Some might have had a different perspective there, but Watson also had a pretty terrible post season process and gained weight from the Senior Bowl to combine.

Taylor also had a much better year this year than Watson ever had at Michigan. Far more active and around the ball. Last year I would totally buy that claim, but this year was a different story.

I would agree that he isn't worth a first round pick, but to suggest he isn't trending upward based forty five minutes of early returns on twitter after two straight days of dominating and a positive weigh in is a little absurd.
Is it trending upward? Most considered him a 2nd round pick before Senior Bowl week. If anything that's just been substantiated to still be a possibility. Like others have said... just gotta wait for the hype to die down again. The 1st round talk is just that... "hype".

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Is it trending upward? Most considered him a 2nd round pick before Senior Bowl week. If anything that's just been substantiated to still be a possibility. Like others have said... just gotta wait for the hype to die down again. The 1st round talk is just that... "hype".

Substantiating is trending upward for a guy like Taylor. He's been mocked from anywhere between the 2nd and the 5th round from what I've seen. I think the solid money was on a third round grade(Scott had him as a mid-rounder) with the possibility to go higher, but with this good performance and a good combine he'll likely be assured the high end of that.

Duffman57
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
He reminds me a LOT of a guy that played and tore it up in the Sr. bowl last year, who was touted as an early 2nd, late 1st guy, that ended up going int he 5th round.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
OK, people don't like me comparing his story to Gabe Watsons....

Fine, say hello to Ron Brace! hahahaha.

SenorGato
01-26-2011, 06:10 PM
OK, people don't like me comparing his story to Gabe Watsons....

This one I can buy...I could see Taylor needing a year to get NFL strong and make his game a little more consistent, like Brace kinda did...Taylor's probably the better athlete, and we'll see come combine time.

I have to throw in that I'm so biased against Penn State players that if Taylor stayed there I wouldn't think twice of keeping him a mid-rounder.

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Brace is a square peg in a round hole right now. He could be very good if we put him at NT...but there's that Vilfork guy. Needs a change of scenery. Not a bad name to bring up, but Taylor is in better shape right now than Brace has ever been judging by the weigh in descriptions. That's always been Brace's great downfall as a player.

TACKLE
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Well Brace and a guy like Torrell Troup were the 40th and 41st picks of the draft. Taylor is bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic than both those guys. Finding a guy who can truly play NT in a 3-4 is very rare and with so many teams running the 3-4, those pure 3-4 NT's are going to get pushed up. That's just the way it works now. Say what you want about Phil Taylor, but physically he is a prototypical NT prospect who people are starting to like because he has shown dominance this week.

Duffman57
01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I was thinking that he reminded me a LOT of Cam Thomas last year, not Brace but that isnt bad either

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
I think if he had a cooler name like DeAndre Taylor or Kendrick Taylor, THEN I would consider him a 1st rounder. But the name Phil is so... well.. blah...

hhaahahaha!

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Best thing I saw out of Taylor today is when he blew right by Rodney Hudson. Hudson is one of the best prospects in the draft in terms of delivering initial punch and establishing quick control. Taylor beat him with his hands and moved his feet right by him like it was nothing.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Best thing I saw out of Taylor today is when he blew right by Rodney Hudson. Hudson is one of the best prospects in the draft in terms of delivering initial punch and establishing quick control. Taylor beat him with his hands and moved his feet right by him like it was nothing.
Can I say 1st Round LOCK???

bored of education
01-26-2011, 11:13 PM
D-Unit you are possibly reaching for an answer as to why you don't like that guy and down playing his value. I understand if you dont think he will be good or he is some lazy out of shape fat guy, thats cool. How's Frantz Joseph doing?

bored of education
01-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Kenrick Ellis, really more than Phil? Thats cool I would like to actually see why and see you break down Kenrick's abilities compared to that of Phil's. I like Kenrick as a 3rd rounder from the games i actually seen him play, but he has gone up against some ****** linemen in his day.

D-Unit
01-27-2011, 01:33 AM
D-Unit you are possibly reaching for an answer as to why you don't like that guy and down playing his value. I understand if you dont think he will be good or he is some lazy out of shape fat guy, thats cool. How's Frantz Joseph doing?
Just tell me you think he's a first rounder so I can chuckle at that too.

I liked Joseph as a 5th or 6th rounder. Oh man, you really just busted me there... lmao.

D-Unit
01-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Kenrick Ellis, really more than Phil? Thats cool I would like to actually see why and see you break down Kenrick's abilities compared to that of Phil's. I like Kenrick as a 3rd rounder from the games i actually seen him play, but he has gone up against some ****** linemen in his day.
I question Kenrick in the 3rd at the highest. Would be more comfortable with him in the 4th, but I get teams wanting to reach for him because of the rarity of 34 NT bodies. I like him more than Taylor but I get that Taylor's stock is higher.

energizerbunny
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
I doubt he'll go in the first round because pure 3-4 NT don't go that high unless they have been absolutely dominant their entire collegiate career. I can, however, see him going in the 2nd due to how many teams run the 3-4 that can use a NT. Right now I'm projecting him to the Texans in round 2.

This isn't true, Casey Hampton wasn't dominant his entire college career. Its all about if a guy fits a system and if they do they will be overdrafted as a result of this. Its not like there is an abundance of 3-4 nose tackles in each draft. And without the right guy in the middle a 3-4 will never be that great.

D-Unit
01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
This isn't true, Casey Hampton wasn't dominant his entire college career. Its all about if a guy fits a system and if they do they will be overdrafted as a result of this. Its not like there is an abundance of 3-4 nose tackles in each draft. And without the right guy in the middle a 3-4 will never be that great.
This from wiki...

Hampton, #64,[3] attended the University of Texas and started 37 consecutive games for the Longhorns. He became the first defensive lineman to lead the team in tackles two consecutive seasons (19992000) and recorded 329 tackles (177 solos) to rank 11th on the school's all-time list. Hampton registered 56 quarterback pressures and caused nine fumbles in his college career and earned All-American first-team honors as a senior from The Football Writers Association, The Sporting News, Walter Camp and The Sports Xchange. As a Texas Longhorn, he was also consensus All-Big 12 Conference first-team selection and Defensive Player of the Year. Hampton was an All-America first-team selection by the Football Writers Association and Associated Press as a junior in 1999. In 1998 he was named the team's Most Consistent Defensive Player and started every game. That season, he recorded 60 tackles (29 solos) with two sacks and eight stops for losses and registered six quarterback pressures, five pass deflections and recovered one fumble. He also appeared in three games in 1997 before being granted a medical redshirt but played in every game as a true freshman in 1996, starting six at nose guard and recorded 77 tackles (51 solos), one sack and seven stops for losses.[4] In his freshman season he also had three quarterback pressures and a forced fumble.

Sounds pretty dominant to me. Phil doesn't come anywhere close to that if that's what you're trying to argue.

cajuncorey
01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
from what ive seen he looks fairly athletic he could play all 3 line spots in 3-4 and UT,NT in a 4-3. i like his versatility, some people label him as just a space eater but i think he might be comparable to haloti ngata.

onejayhawk
01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
I agree. People said Ngata was a 34 NT too.
!

Well Brace and a guy like Torrell Troup were the 40th and 41st picks of the draft. Taylor is bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic than both those guys. Finding a guy who can truly play NT in a 3-4 is very rare and with so many teams running the 3-4, those pure 3-4 NT's are going to get pushed up. That's just the way it works now. Say what you want about Phil Taylor, but physically he is a prototypical NT prospect who people are starting to like because he has shown dominance this week.

The Gabe Watson comparison is interesting because it shows the trap. Literally two guys facing opposite directions.

Troup is much closer, and Taylor is clearly better. The recurring comments about Taylor are references to his hands. This guy can keep OL from locking up. You also have to like that he was the heaviest guy in Mobile, but Scott commented: Carries size REAL well. Big man! Not flabby at all.

I look for him to go as high as #21 to the Chiefs. I can see 3-4 teams trading up for him.

Concerning the character issue. http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/baylor-bears/20101227-mission-trip-to-kenya-inspires-baylor_s-phil-taylor.ece

J

FUNBUNCHER
01-29-2011, 10:28 PM
He's looks like the best NT prospect in the draft right now.
I wondered how he ended up at Baylor, seemed to be too talented to be passed over by the major programs, until I found out he was a Penn State transfer.

He's ridiculously mobile for a guy who looks to be @340#.

Shanny wants a QB to groom, but IMO he NEEDS an anchor in the middle of that new 34 D he's trying to implement.

Kris Jenkins 2.0

descendency
01-29-2011, 10:31 PM
BJ Raji? (not a player comparison, just that he went 9th overall as a NT)

ElectricEye
01-29-2011, 10:41 PM
It's all about conditioning for him. He can be as good as he wants to be though, and it's nice to see he's serious. Looks a lot more athletic than I thought even.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-29-2011, 10:59 PM
He's looks like the best NT prospect in the draft right now.
I wondered how he ended up at Baylor, seemed to be too talented to be passed over by the major programs, until I found out he was a Penn State transfer.

He's ridiculously mobile for a guy who looks to be @340#.

Shanny wants a QB to groom, but IMO he NEEDS an anchor in the middle of that new 34 D he's trying to implement.

Kris Jenkins 2.0

I like the Jenkins comparison. I've always felt that Taylor was more suited to the NT position in the 4-3 than the 3-4, though he'd be able to handle the 3-4 if he had to, because of his quickness and Jenkins' career fits that to a T

Just watch out for Taylor ballooning to 400 pounds in training camp and missing entire seasons injured

jetsfan0099
01-30-2011, 10:19 AM
I like the Jenkins comparison. I've always felt that Taylor was more suited to the NT position in the 4-3 than the 3-4, though he'd be able to handle the 3-4 if he had to, because of his quickness and Jenkins' career fits that to a T

Just watch out for Taylor ballooning to 400 pounds in training camp and missing entire seasons injured

Kris Jenkins was a beast for the Jets his first season here as a NT in a 3-4.. He was gaining DPOY interest for how he anchor the defense.. He was dominant to start the 2009 season in Rex Ryan's defense but then blew his knee out, then blows his knee out again the 1st quarter against the Ravens this year.. Jenkins says he wants to return and play for Rex, he'll need to take a big pay cut, hes making 6.4 mil this year, too much for a injury prone player. He also said hes going to wear a knee brace this year for the first time, should have worn it last year..

If Phil Taylor is like Kris Jenkins, I would take him in a HEART BEAT come #30 if hes there.. Especially in a Rex Ryan defense which is not just a 3-4 defense but plays multiple fronts. Rex could move him around like Ngata if hes athletic enough..

Iamcanadian
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Taylor was kicked off the Penn St. football team by Joe Paterno and that raises real concerns about his character for me. I don't think he has a shot at round 1 unless he can convince GM's he is a changed man.

Day One Pick
01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Taylor was kicked off the Penn St. football team by Joe Paterno and that raises real concerns about his character for me. I don't think he has a shot at round 1 unless he can convince GM's he is a changed man.

All over a fight that happened while Penn State was in the spotight for negative player conduct. Paterno more or less made an example out of him. His weight is a much bigger issue than his off the field conduct IMO.

I'll go as far to say there's no way he won't get drafted in the 1st.

SenorGato
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I think Taylor as a DE/NT/DT in a 3-4 with DE first >>>> him being a pure NT.

underscore
01-31-2011, 03:22 AM
Taylor was no saint at PSU, but his dismissal was as much about cleaning house of a group of bad apples (and Taylor associating himself with that crowd) as it was just Taylor himself.

He'll be fine.

Iamcanadian
01-31-2011, 05:20 AM
I don't agree. When Joe Paterno kicks a player off his football team, believe me, red flags go up on every team's board and his chances of seeing round 1 become severely diminished unless he can convince teams in interviews that he is a changed man.
It doesn't matter if he has the talent for round 1, character issues will drop him.

descendency
01-31-2011, 06:00 AM
I wouldn't be totally blown away if the Patriots take him if he's available at 28. Wilfork could be moved to LDE, Ty Warren to RDE, and Phil Taylor to NT. Or maybe Taylor can play LDE.