PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Linemen Rankings

Day One Pick
01-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I've spent the past several days really trying to get a better feel for how to rank the offensive linemen. I've watched a bunch of game film I have on my DVR, Senior Bowl practices, and some other resources. I can see I was too high on some players and too low on others. I was able to see things a little clearer by focusing on just one group and editing my rankings instead of doing a mass edit. I know many of you won't agree with much of this, but I doubt many if any have truely spent the amount of time I have to form an opinion.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

1. Gabe Carimi, LT, 6-7, 327, Wisconsin

2. Anthony Costonzo, LT, 6-7, 308, Boston College

3. Nate Solder, LT, 6-8, 315, Colorado

4. Michael Pouncey, OG/C, 6-4, 310, Florida

5. Tyron Smith, LT, 6-5, 285, Southern California*

6. Stefen Wisniewski, C/OG, 6-3, 306, Penn State

7. Marcus Gilbert, LT, 6-5, 320, Florida

8. John Moffitt, OG/C, 6-4, 323, Wisconsin

9. Derek Sherrod, LT/RT, 305, Mississippi State

10. Danny Watkins, OG/RT, 6-4, 310, Baylor (would be higher, but will be a 27 year old rookie)

11. Rodney Hudson, OG, 6-2, 291, Florida State

12. Brandon Fusco, C/OG, 6-4, 300, Slippery Rock

13. Marcus Cannon, OG, 6-5, 350, Texas Christian

14. DeMarcus Love, OG/RT, 6-5, 315, Arkansas

15. James Brewer, RT/OG, 6-6, 332, Indiana

16. Kris O'Dowd, C, 6-4, 300, Southern California

17. Orlando Franklin, OG/OT, 6-7, 315, Miami

18. Ben Ijalana, OG/RT, 6-4, 320, Villanova

19. James Carpenter, RT/LT, 6-5, 300, Alabama

20. Will Rackley, OG, 6-4, 305, Lehigh

21. Jah Reid, LT, 6-7, 315, Central Florida

22. Joseph Barksdale, RT, 6-5, 318, Louisiana State

23. Chris Hairston, RT, 6-7, 325, Clemson

24. Justin Boren, OG, 6-3, 320, Ohio State

25. Stephen Schilling, OG/RT, 6-5, 308, Michigan

26. Derek Newton, LT/RT, 6-6, 305, Arkansas State

27. Clint Boling, OG, 6-5, 295, Georgia

28. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, 6-3, 305, Texas Christian

29. Jason Pinkston, RT/OG, 6-4, 308, Pitt

30. Lee Ziemba, OG/RT, 6-6, 320, Auburn

31. Darius Morris, OG/RT, 6-4, 318, Temple

32. Ryan McMahon, C, 6-2, 285, Florida State

33. Andrew Jackson, OG, 6-5, 295, Fresno State

34. Jarriel King, RT/OG, 324, South Carolina

35. Tim Barnes, C, 6-4, 300, Missouri

36. Josh Davis, RT/LT, 6-6, 310, Georgia

37. Colin Baxter, OG/C, 6-3, 305, Arizona

38. Derek Hall, RT/LT, 6-5, 305, Stanford

39. Rich Lapham, OG, 6-8, 323, Boston College

40. Eric Mensik, OG/RT, 6-5, 290, Oklahoma

41. Zane Taylor, C, 6-2, 309, Utah

42. Kyle Hix, RT, 6-7, 325, Texas

43. Kenny Wiggins, RT, 6-7, 315, Fresno State

44. John Bender, OG, 6-8, 325, Nevada

45. Keith Williams, OG, 6-5, 310, Nebraska

46. Anthony Morgan, OG, 6-3, 312, Oklahoma State

47. Ricky Henry, OG, 6-3, 305, Nebraska

48. Andrew Phillips, OG, 6-4, 302, Stanford

49. Zach Hurd, OG/RT, 6-7, 325, Connecticut

50. Thomas Claiborne, OG, 6-2, 332, Boston College

ElectricEye
01-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I know many of you won't agree with much of this, but I doubt many if any have truely spent the amount of time I have to form an opinion.

Humility much?

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Next you must do a Top 10 by position. Nice list. I like the boldness to go outside of the norm.

killxswitch
01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I like Carimi at #1 but I have a hard time with Sherrod at #9.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Cannon at 13, dude?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Boling is low.

Ijalana way too low.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Again... love the courage behind these rankings. Anyone saying so and so is "too high" or "too low" is just basing that opinion off the rankings of the masses. That's what I think.

But I need to know what you did you come up with this. Is this based off your own eyes of what you witnessed or is this just gut feeling rankings based off other regurgitated rankings or scouting reports?

JohnCandy
01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Cannon and Ijalana are a little low.

Cannon for a 350lbs man is inhuman athletic.

I love to see Marcus Gilbert up there as he is showing something at the Senior Bowl.

keylime_5
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
interesting that you have RT/LT for a lot of guys but only LT for Tyron Smith - who has been a RT his entire career. This will not do, I demand perfection!

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 04:50 PM
interesting that you have RT/LT for a lot of guys but only LT for Tyron Smith - who has been a RT his entire career. This will not do, I demand perfection!
I actually have come to realize that Smith is more suited as a LT in the NFL and that he'll need to bulk up a lot more to suit the needs of being a RT. ...but he can play RT for Michael Vick!

Day One Pick
01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Again... love the courage behind these rankings. Anyone saying so and so is "too high" or "too low" is just basing that opinion off the rankings of the masses. That's what I think.

But I need to know what you did you come up with this. Is this based off your own eyes of what you witnessed or is this just gut feeling rankings based off other regurgitated rankings or scouting reports?

I agree with you, that's why I prefaced this with the below statement. I love the conversation that happens here, but at the same time am driven nuts because I know so many of the posters form their opinions from others opinions.

I know many of you won't agree with much of this, but I doubt many if any have truely spent the amount of time I have to form an opinion.

Anyways, to answer your question...I have two DVR's which can both hold 40 hours of recording. I DVR games all season long, many of which I set to only record about half a game to conserve space. I do this in addition to watching a lot of games live as well as attending games here and there. I've felt like my OL rankings have been iffy, so I've spent the past several days going back and watching bits and pieces of games focusing only on the offensive linemen. In addition to this I've been watching and recording the Senior Bowl practices. This really helped me form a more solid opinion and set of rankings than I had. Instead of watching one player one day and then 3 weeks later seeing another one, I was able to get a better side by side comparison while things were still fresh in my mind. That said, there are still some prospects I wish I have seen more of. But as for what I've seen, this list is how I currently see things.

Day One Pick
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM

I actually have come to realize that Smith is more suited as a LT in the NFL and that he'll need to bulk up a lot more to suit the needs of being a RT. ...but he can play RT for Michael Vick!

Exactly. He's an athletic finesse guy, not a mauler like a RT should be.

Matthew Jones
01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Exactly. He's an athletic finesse guy, not a mauler like a RT should be.

That depends on your perception of what a right tackle should be. In my opinion, the players on the line should all play where they're most comfortable, and while I think Smith has the athleticism teams like in a left tackle, I think right tackle might be a better bet at least early on in his career because it's a little bit more familiar to him. Keep in mind that most quality teams have strong pass rushers on both sides of the ball and that right tackles are expected to be very quick on their feet now as well. I always enjoy reading your posts on the board though, good job.

D-Unit
01-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree with you, that's why I prefaced this with the below statement. I love the conversation that happens here, but at the same time am driven nuts because I know so many of the posters form their opinions from others opinions.

Anyways, to answer your question...I have two DVR's which can both hold 40 hours of recording. I DVR games all season long, many of which I set to only record about half a game to conserve space. I do this in addition to watching a lot of games live as well as attending games here and there. I've felt like my OL rankings have been iffy, so I've spent the past several days going back and watching bits and pieces of games focusing only on the offensive linemen. In addition to this I've been watching and recording the Senior Bowl practices. This really helped me form a more solid opinion and set of rankings than I had. Instead of watching one player one day and then 3 weeks later seeing another one, I was able to get a better side by side comparison while things were still fresh in my mind. That said, there are still some prospects I wish I have seen more of. But as for what I've seen, this list is how I currently see things.
Ah, don't sweat it. Haters gonna hate. These rankings are unique and I like that. Happy to also hear that you compile this off your own eyes and not someone elses.

That said... you have to tell me what you like about Solder. Putting him that high. I think too many people are infatuated in him for all the wrong reasons. I didn't like what I saw on him on film all season, then combine that with the short arms, the appearance that he lacks power/strength, no nasty demeanor, quits before the whistle because the play is not by him...

I am NOT a fan of Solder anywhere in Round 1. BUT, I bet some team will.

Iamcanadian
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Ah, don't sweat it. Haters gonna hate. These rankings are unique and I like that. Happy to also hear that you compile this off your own eyes and not someone elses.

That said... you have to tell me what you like about Solder. Putting him that high. I think too many people are infatuated in him for all the wrong reasons. I didn't like what I saw on him on film all season, then combine that with the short arms, the appearance that he lacks power/strength, no nasty demeanor, quits before the whistle because the play is not by him...

Mayock said today that he talked to a # of scouts and GM's at the Senior Bowl and they are comparing Solder to Tony Boselli and indicated that he can easily add 30-35 lbs. Top 15 pick for sure possibly might even rise to top 10.
#2 guy was Anthony Castonzo He said he will start in the NFL for 10-12 years
#3 was Camini followed by Sherrod.
They said the OT class was the best position at the Senior Bowl. They like Ijalana but he is injured and they weren't sure how Tyron Smith fits in yet and were interested to see his weight in at the combine.

Day One Pick
01-26-2011, 07:49 PM

I like Solder, but don't love him. I view left tackles in a similar fashion as quarterbacks. What I mean by that is I look for the raw ability as long as they look the part. With Solder he's long and athletic with good feet. It's hard to find somebody with the right size who can also move adequatly when you are looking for a LT. A lot of what you said negatively about Solder I agree with, but most of it's coachable and or correctable. Once he's in the NFL he will only get bigger and stronger, which would correct a lot of what you don't like. He likely won't get nasty, but I'm ok with that in regards to a LT. I think with the proper coaching he really could improve greatly.

senormysterioso
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Great list, very in depth. I'm not a fan of Castonzo, he gets out-leveraged too often and gets worked by a good speed rusher. I like that you have Moffit so high, he's pretty underrated (says a Wisconsin homer)

JPP90
01-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Just wondering, what kind of cable provider gives you access to Slippery Rock & Lehigh games?

Day One Pick
01-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Just wondering, what kind of cable provider gives you access to Slippery Rock & Lehigh games?

Guess what...I live 20 minutes from Slippery Rock and my brother went to Slippery Rock. I went to two of their games and watched part of another one on T.V. My location of Columbus needs updated, that was short term. Also, he's in the Senior Bowl. Contact your cable provider and tell them you want NFL Network.

Rackley is one of the one's I mentioned that I needed to see more of.

JohnCandy
01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Can Derek Sherrod play OG, or is he to soft?

Why is Marcus Cannon not at the Senior Bowl?

Clarkw267
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Marcus Cannon is going to be a pro bowl Guard. He doesn't belong below the likes of Wisniewski, Gilbert, or Moffitt. And I like those 3 guys.

Also before you try and tell me how you spend way more time than everyone else watching .Save it. You don't. I'm glad that you put some effort into it, and the list is solid, but for you to come here and get on your high horse is ridiculous.

Day One Pick
01-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Marcus Cannon is going to be a pro bowl Guard. He doesn't belong below the likes of Wisniewski, Gilbert, or Moffitt. And I like those 3 guys.

Also before you try and tell me how you spend way more time than everyone else watching .Save it. You don't. I'm glad that you put some effort into it, and the list is solid, but for you to come here and get on your high horse is ridiculous.

You need to go back and re-read what I said. Never did I say I spent more time than everyone. I also wasn't trying to shine any light on myself. I was just getting that statement out of the way because I didn't rank according to the norm and as always would get the posts from those who assume anything outside the norm is wrong, laughable, terrible, or whatever other phrase they would use. Seems to have worked.

Look around, it's easy to see that a high percentage of members here spend more time looking at others rankings than they do actually watching football. A high percentage of the members here watch their favorite team and it ends there.

So that statement was a "if the shoe fits statement." Thought I worded it clear enough...guess not.

JohnCandy
01-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Why is Cannon not at the Senior Bowl? Is in oversight or are league people not as high on him.

My concern is if he weighed 375lbs at the end of the season he may not have wanted to go for the weigh in.

Day One Pick
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Can Derek Sherrod play OG, or is he to soft?

Why is Marcus Cannon not at the Senior Bowl?

I think Sherrod could play OG. He reminds me a bit of former UConn tackle William Beatty, anyone else think that's a fair comparison?

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Cannon got an invite. It would only be speculation as to why he didn't accept. His weight is his biggest question mark and the think that will make his draft position not quite equal his ability. He's showed he can play in the 350 neighborhood, but can his weight stay there is the question. Would he be as good at a lighter weight? Could he move well enough at a higher weight?

senormysterioso
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I think Sherrod could play OG. He reminds me a bit of former UConn tackle William Beatty, anyone else think that's a fair comparison?

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Cannon got an invite. It would only be speculation as to why he didn't accept. His weight is his biggest question mark and the think that will make his draft position not quite equal his ability. He's showed he can play in the 350 neighborhood, but can his weight stay there is the question. Would he be as good at a lighter weight? Could he move well enough at a higher weight?

I really haven't seen enough of Sherrod to give you a real educated opinion on him, but based on the Senior Bowl/practices and few other clips I've seen of Sherrod I don't like him at all. He comes out of two and three point stances too high and his kick slide isn't fluid and natural. I don't usually like interior lineman to be as tall as Sherrod is, but I don't trip on that kind of stuff too much if he's able to do the job and you have a quarterback that's smart enough to adjust and not bounce short/intermediate crossing routes off the back of his head.

I only watched one TCU game this year, when they kicked our asses in the Rose Bowl, but I'm convinced that the two best offensive line prospects this year were in that game; Carimi and Cannon. Cannon pretty much owned my boy JJ Watt that whole game. It was like he was running into a cinder block wall that wouldn't budge no matter what he tried.

Clarkw267
01-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Why is Cannon not at the Senior Bowl? Is in oversight or are league people not as high on him.

My concern is if he weighed 375lbs at the end of the season he may not have wanted to go for the weigh in.

From what I've heard/read he was invited and opted not to go. Just like Cameron Heyward.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 03:38 PM
James Carpenter needs to move way up the list. He dominated the Senior Bowl and was great in the game.

Watch the LT for the South in the 1st quarter give up 0 pressure and dominate the run game.

Babylon
01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
I thought except for Love the whole South squad played very well upfront. Love needs to move inside if he wants to avoid a career change. I'd say Sherod might have moved himself to the top of that tackle list along with Gabe Carimi and Tyron Smith. Solder was beyond brutal.

Day One Pick
01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I thought except for Love the whole South squad played very well upfront. Love needs to move inside if he wants to avoid a career change. I'd say Sherod might have moved himself to the top of that tackle list along with Gabe Carimi and Tyron Smith. Solder was beyond brutal.

Really? I didn't see anything from Sherrod that would make me think he's anything more than a 2nd round RT.

Day One Pick
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
James Carpenter needs to move way up the list. He dominated the Senior Bowl and was great in the game.

Watch the LT for the South in the 1st quarter give up 0 pressure and dominate the run game.

Maybe a tad, I think you are over reacting a bit. Keep in mind these are offensive linemen as a group. I have him 8th among OT's.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Maybe a tad, I think you are over reacting a bit. Keep in mind these are offensive linemen as a group. I have him 8th among OT's.

I have seen limited game tape, but what is keeping him behind the top OTs?

He showed better feet and strength then most.

jrdrylie
01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
It's a good list overall, but the one thing I disagree on is Sherrod and Gilbert. I don't get to watch every game so I can't comment on everybody, but living in SEC Country, I have seen a lot of Sherrod and Gilbert. Probably 6 games of each (at least). I don't see how Gilbert can be rated above Sherrod. Maybe I'm missing something but I think Sherrod is much better. But I would be very interested in knowing why you rate Gilbert over Sherrod.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I think that Clint Boling is impressive on the inside and I think may climb higher into the OG rankings.

He reminds me of Alan Faneca stout, physical and technically sound.

Day One Pick
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
It's a good list overall, but the one thing I disagree on is Sherrod and Gilbert. I don't get to watch every game so I can't comment on everybody, but living in SEC Country, I have seen a lot of Sherrod and Gilbert. Probably 6 games of each (at least). I don't see how Gilbert can be rated above Sherrod. Maybe I'm missing something but I think Sherrod is much better. But I would be very interested in knowing why you rate Gilbert over Sherrod.

Better feet, better overall athlete and longer.