PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sands, S, West Virginia

TheDieNasty
01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Huge Ball-hawking safety from what I see. 6-5 is ridiculous height for a safety. I think from what I have seen he will make a great Free Safety in the NFL. Anyone have any thoughts on him or where you think he will be drafted. I personally hope for him at #41 because I am a cowboys fan.

703SKINS202
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
He is a big hitting safety with great ball skills. Needs some work on his lateral movement and back pedal but he definitely holds his own in coverage. I think he could play FS or SS in the NFL and his versatility could really appeal to a team that needs a safety. 3rd rounder at this point imo, will depend on combine somewhat.

Big Black
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
He's going to have to show he can backpedal and flip his hips, not to mention show quick change of direction and ultimately a fast 40 time at the Combine.

I like how instinctive of a player he is not to mention his pop on contact. He's definitely a much better prospect than Taylor Mays IMO.

JPP90
01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I will never be sold on a 6'5 safety and wouldn't want my team taking one before the 5th round.

Hurricanes25
01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
The measureables are more impressive than the game tape. I would take a chance on him in the 4th or 5th but I wouldn't touch him before that.

JPP90
01-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Pat Watkins. Very nice player for Florida State but a total liability when he was pressed into action in Dallas and overall a garbage NFL player. If a guy is 6'5 why not max out his NFL potential while in college and try to see if he can cut it at WR.

brat316
01-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't think he is 6'5. Probably comes in at 6'3/2.

brasho
01-27-2011, 07:27 AM
I've never seen a safety over 6'3 that was any good. You'd think for the position that taller is better but thus far they have all been liabilities.

703SKINS202
01-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Here is a video of his sophomore highlights.

L0o1xMWqCow

He might not be fluid enough to play the FS position but at SS he gives you a lot of versatility to play the run and the pass effectively with that sepcial size. He is a legit mid round prospect.

TheDieNasty
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
he shows good skills on his highlight tapes. If he runs a 4.59 40 or below he will be a monster in the nfl.

TheDieNasty
01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
I will never be sold on a 6'5 safety and wouldn't want my team taking one before the 5th round.

Why? added height for a safety is only a plus?

brasho
01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Why? added height for a safety is only a plus?

Have you ever seen a safety over 6'4 that didn't suck? Pat Watkins was suppsoed to be good... CB Brandon Browner was allegedly 6'4 but he was too slow for CB and never made it as a S... I've never seen a safety over 6'3 that could change directions, drop his pads and be an asset to his defense.

You'd think that a 6'5 safety would be great but NFL history says it isn't.

TheDieNasty
01-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Have you ever seen a safety over 6'4 that didn't suck? Pat Watkins was suppsoed to be good... CB Brandon Browner was allegedly 6'4 but he was too slow for CB and never made it as a S... I've never seen a safety over 6'3 that could change directions, drop his pads and be an asset to his defense.

You'd think that a 6'5 safety would be great but NFL history says it isn't.

a very small percentage of guys are 6 foot 3 or higher and there bread to either play O-line, D-line or Wide Reciever. or play basketball. A coach doesn't say your 6 foot 5 you should play safety. From his tape he drops his pads well and lowers blows on opposing players. He changes directions decently also.

brasho
01-28-2011, 12:09 PM
a very small percentage of guys are 6 foot 3 or higher and there bread to either play O-line, D-line or Wide Reciever. or play basketball. A coach doesn't say your 6 foot 5 you should play safety. From his tape he drops his pads well and lowers blows on opposing players. He changes directions decently also.

"Bread"?

I didn't realize that people were breeding for the sole purpose of creating better O and Dline prospects as well as TEs, WRs, 3-4 OLBs, and QBs, etc.

In everyday life, there are a small percentage of people that are 6'3" or more... but in football, there is a very small percentage of OL, DEs, and TEs that are 6'3 or shorter. But in football, S's that are taller than 6'3 are so infrequent that you can't even call it rare. It's like finding a lion with stripes like a zebra and a tail like a beaver. I know Pat Watkins is technically 6' 4 and 3/4 inches, but technically Pat Watkins sucks. that's why despite running a 4.42 at the combine, leaping an incredible 41" and having a broadjump over 11 feet that he was drafted in the late 5th round and was cut by the Cowboys (who desperately needed S help this season).

There's a difference between being a good collegiate player and being good in the pros. Despite Watkins' superior athletic talent, he couldn't cover one-on-one, even if he were willing to tackle, he had a hard time getting his pads down to do so.

Sure, Sands is a great S for WVU. But considering that Noel Devine was a successful feature back at the same school despite being 5'7 160 lbs you start to wonder if in college, is size important at all? Former QB for K-State, Todd Reesing says it isn't important, but of course he's only 5'10 so you'd expect that.

Here's the thing, I'm all for a guy being 6'4"+ of breaking the mold. I think he would be great in nickle defense playing half or the middle of the field and breaking up jump balls and deep throws... but it's not me you have the argument with... it's history... and history has shown NO safeties (no, wait) no DBs, over 6'3 have been effective.

contento
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah, 1 INT and 1 PD this year....a real ball hawk! Don't throw anything within 10 feet of him or he's gonna house it!

brasho
01-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah, 1 INT and 1 PD this year....a real ball hawk! Don't throw anything within 10 feet of him or he's gonna house it!

That's because they were so scared to throw near him because he's so tall! :)

That's why Ahmad Black and Bob Sanders are so effective... they are so short that they hide behind blades of grass and spring out at the last second to get INTs and big hits. The defensive coordinators have to wire them both with GPS to know where they are.

TheDieNasty
01-28-2011, 08:50 PM
"Bread"?

I didn't realize that people were breeding for the sole purpose of creating better O and Dline prospects as well as TEs, WRs, 3-4 OLBs, and QBs, etc.

In everyday life, there are a small percentage of people that are 6'3" or more... but in football, there is a very small percentage of OL, DEs, and TEs that are 6'3 or shorter. But in football, S's that are taller than 6'3 are so infrequent that you can't even call it rare. It's like finding a lion with stripes like a zebra and a tail like a beaver. I know Pat Watkins is technically 6' 4 and 3/4 inches, but technically Pat Watkins sucks. that's why despite running a 4.42 at the combine, leaping an incredible 41" and having a broadjump over 11 feet that he was drafted in the late 5th round and was cut by the Cowboys (who desperately needed S help this season).

There's a difference between being a good collegiate player and being good in the pros. Despite Watkins' superior athletic talent, he couldn't cover one-on-one, even if he were willing to tackle, he had a hard time getting his pads down to do so.

Sure, Sands is a great S for WVU. But considering that Noel Devine was a successful feature back at the same school despite being 5'7 160 lbs you start to wonder if in college, is size important at all? Former QB for K-State, Todd Reesing says it isn't important, but of course he's only 5'10 so you'd expect that.

Here's the thing, I'm all for a guy being 6'4"+ of breaking the mold. I think he would be great in nickle defense playing half or the middle of the field and breaking up jump balls and deep throws... but it's not me you have the argument with... it's history... and history has shown NO safeties (no, wait) no DBs, over 6'3 have been effective.

all im saying is that height is not a disadvantage, it is an advantage. Like you said finding a safety over 6'3" is like finding a zebra with stripes. less then a handful of safeties have been over 6'3" so there isn't a large chance they would be good. Im just saying don't dismiss a Safety for being tall, just like you don't dismiss a running back for being small. If your philosophy was always true then no one would have ever taken a chance on Barry Sanders or Darren Sproles.

brat316
01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
all im saying is that height is not a disadvantage, it is an advantage. Like you said finding a safety over 6'3" is like finding a zebra with stripes. less then a handful of safeties have been over 6'3" so there isn't a large chance they would be good. Im just saying don't dismiss a Safety for being tall, just like you don't dismiss a running back for being small. If your philosophy was always true then no one would have ever taken a chance on Barry Sanders or Darren Sproles.

Apples and oranges? He just brought up rb for 1 thing. He is mostly arguing about tall safeties not being able to drop their hips and pad levels. Nothing about rb size, other than Noel. Replace Barry and Darren with some 6'3+ safeties that were successful.

brat316
01-28-2011, 09:25 PM
"Bread"?

Eh. I can name a few. Some had effective years, but not great careers. Cromartie, Steve Atwater, John Lynch, Cb on Phins this year Smith, Adrian Wilson, Darren Sharper, Ken Houston, Paul Krause.

kwilk103
01-28-2011, 10:23 PM

he played ss and bandit safety this year; he was much closer to the line

and on 3rd downs, he has hardly ever in coverage; he would stay near the line and we would drop 1 cb back to fs and bring in a 3rd cb

brat316
01-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Should Sands bulk up and play Lb?

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
01-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Sands is soft. I wouldn't draft her still round seven. Terrible vs run. Does make many ints. If she were 6'0 sh3 wouldn't be a draftable prospect.

Rabscuttle
01-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Sands looks a lot more capable in pass coverage than Mays ever did.

brasho
01-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Eh. I can name a few. Some had effective years, but not great careers. Cromartie, Steve Atwater, John Lynch, Cb on Phins this year Smith, Adrian Wilson, Darren Sharper, Ken Houston, Paul Krause.

I said OVER 6'3. Considering what is a guy's listed height and how tall he really is... I'm going by NFL.com's listings and you have to take them with a grain of salt (Cody Grimm is listed at 6'1 but was measured at the combine at 5'11) Cromartie is 6'2, Atwater was listed at 6'3 (which means he was less), John Lynch was 6'2, Sean Smith is listed at 6'4,Adrian Wilson is listed at 6'3 but was officially measured at 6023 at the combine, Darren Sharper is listed at 6'2, Ken Houston and Paul Krause played in entirely different eras but they were both 6'3.

Is there are a problem with your reading comprehension or are you just lazy and wanted me to do your homework for you?

Every player you listed with the exception of Sean Smith were NOT over 6'3 and considering Smith only started half of the Dolphins's gamees last season (but playing in and not starting 7 others) and only has 1 career INT in 21 career games... it's safe to say that the former 2nd round pick has NOT been a smashing success.

thegreatone
01-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Sands is soft. I wouldn't draft her still round seven. Terrible vs run. Does make many ints. If she were 6'0 sh3 wouldn't be a draftable prospect.
lmao, thats funny.

brat316
01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I said OVER 6'3. Considering what is a guy's listed height and how tall he really is... I'm going by NFL.com's listings and you have to take them with a grain of salt (Cody Grimm is listed at 6'1 but was measured at the combine at 5'11) Cromartie is 6'2, Atwater was listed at 6'3 (which means he was less), John Lynch was 6'2, Sean Smith is listed at 6'4,Adrian Wilson is listed at 6'3 but was officially measured at 6023 at the combine, Darren Sharper is listed at 6'2, Ken Houston and Paul Krause played in entirely different eras but they were both 6'3.

Is there are a problem with your reading comprehension or are you just lazy and wanted me to do your homework for you?

Every player you listed with the exception of Sean Smith were NOT over 6'3 and considering Smith only started half of the Dolphins's gamees last season (but playing in and not starting 7 others) and only has 1 career INT in 21 career games... it's safe to say that the former 2nd round pick has NOT been a smashing success.

I looked all them up were listed at 6'3 or a little taller. I thought you were including 6'3 in your statement of them not being good.