PDA

View Full Version : SRoger's Mock #1

SRogers92
01-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I'll update this as things come along, obviously ... but -- this is my first one of this year.

1. Carolina Panthers AJ Green, WR Georgia ... best WR since Calvin Johnson. Rumors of Steve Smith being gone in Carolina running rampant, as well. I cannot justify a team taking a DT #1 overall, so I think they do the smart thing and get a playmaker.

2. Denver Broncos Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU ... safety my ass. He'll learn from one of the best in the game(assuming he returns) in Champ Bailey. Peterson makes too much sense at this spot.

3. Buffalo Bills Von Miller, OLB, TXAM ... He'll need to bulk up a bit, but - he sheds blocks very well and has awesome athleticism to attack the QBs. Bills' pass rushing situation is bleek, so he will help immensely.

4. Cincinnati Bengals Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn ... Cincinnati ranked 19th in rushing defense last year. They could opt for Bowers, but Bowers does have work ethic concerns and Fairley seems to be the overall better/safer prospect so they go BPA and get a strong run stuffer who can also get after the QB. Some call him "dirty" and while he may be, Cincinnati seems to be drawn to those types of players.

5. Arizona Cardinals Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska ... The Cardinals need help at CB, bad. DRC is inconsistent and Toler is more inconsistent. With a lack of pass rush and no sure fire 34 rushers available, they opt to upgrade pass defense in other ways.

6. Cleveland Browns DaQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson ... With Cleveland shifting back to the 43 defense, the need for a pass rusher will be there. Bowers can do it all -- run, pass, whatever.

7. San Francisco 49ers Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri ... I think it almost has to be QB here. Jimmy is going to want "his guy" and Cam Newton does not seem like a QB for his sytem. Other option is Jake Locker and I don't think he thinks highly of him. He has seen up close and personal how erratic and raw Locker is.

8. Tennessee Titans Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas ... Don't see any way they can afford to go DE at this pick(Quinn was an option) ... they're going to spend a lot to keep Babin and they invested a lot in Morgan last year. Mallet will hopefully be their "franchise QB" that Young was supposed to be.

9. Dallas Cowboys Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama ... Perfect DE for the 34 defense. Dallas had some struggles on the DL and outside of Ratliff they don't have any bonafide "studs" ... Dareus could be that.

10. Washington Redskins Jake Locker, QB, Washington ... Shanahan seems to love him and if they do part with McNabb they have literally no quality QBs on their roster.

11. Houston Texans Stephen Paea, NT, Oregon State ... With the switching to a 34 defense, the Texans will desperately need a Nose Tackle ... they have not a single DT on that roster capable of clogging the middle.

12. Minnesota Vikings Cameron Jordan, DE, CAL ... Jordan can rush the passer, play the run, do it all really. He's also very versatile and able to move inside on passing downs. Pat Williams is breaking down and can't rush the passer and Ray Edwards could leave via FA ... with the new HC being a Defensive Line "guru" the idea of having someone like Jordan who can rush the passer from any spot on the DL probably thrills him.

13. Detroit Lions Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina ... Detroit takes a BPA approach and while DE isn't necessarily a need adding Quinn to a DE rotation that consists of Lawrence Jackson, Cliff Avril, and KVB -- all solid players, probably thrills Schwartz. While all 3 of the aforementioned DEs had strong years last year, none of the three had really ever done much in their careers without an elite DT next to them. Adding a DE who can make his "own" plays and dominate when the DTs are hurt or not performing would be enormous for the pass defense as well.

14. St. Louis Rams Julio Jones, WR, Alabama ... Bradford needs someone to throw the damn ball to ...

15. Miami Dolphins Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama ... Dolphins are a run first team with no RBs. Brown is banged up, as always ... Ricky Williams said he's gone after this year. They really need a big time playmaker at RB.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn ... Ticket sales, check ... Black QB, check ... Time to develop behind a decent starter, check ... This pick makes too much sense!

17. New England Patriots - from Oakland Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue ... Kerrigan has the athleticism to play OLB in a 34 and coming into the senior bowl at sub 260 shows that may be his future position.

18. San Diego Chargers Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin ... The Chargers need someone to kick start their running game and despite reports that he's a pure RT, he can play RT or LT. With McNeil coming back healthy, he has time to learn the game while playing at RT.

19. New York Giants Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA ... He's very versatile and an elite athlete. Giants seem to prefer attacking OLBs with great athleticism and he is definitely that.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri ... The Bucs need a pass rusher bad, real bad. Smith could go a lot higher than this, but -- his year last year wasn't nearly as impressive as people had hoped. He is a lot of potential, but -- damn his athleticism is scary good.

21. Kansas City Chiefs Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor ... Chiefs need help in the run defense department. There's not a lot of elite LBs in this draft and Taylor is a really big boom or bust pick. It's hard to find NTs like him and while he used to have character concerns, supposedly he has turned his life around big time. He'd immediately upgrade the run defense.

22. Indianapolis Colts Derek Sherrod, OT, Miss. State ... Sherrod, to me, is the best LT prospect in the draft. Colts need to keep Manning upright and try to open SOME holes in the running game.

23. Philadelphia Eagles Brandon Harris, CB, Miami ... Philadelphia always drafts DBs or tries to sign them in FA. Reid clearly loves to overdraft the DB position and Harris could easily go a lot higher than this.

24. New Orleans Saints Allen Bailey, DT, Miami(FL) ... You could see Mason Foster and Kelvin Sheppard really move up boards and be a consideration here ... both have looked good during Senior Bowl and both have produced. If they test great at the combine the Saints will consider them. Right now, I'm sticking with Allen Bailey for this pick ... outside of Ellis their DTs stink. Bailey is versatile and can help them in many different ways.

25. Seattle Seahawks Aaron Williams, CB, Texas ... They upgraded their secondary last year with Earl Thomas. They still need some coverage guys opposite of Trufant, who is not getting any younger.

26. Baltimore Ravens Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio St. ... Look, there are more pressing needs for Baltimore. There are no elite CBs left at this point, no elite pass rushers at OLB left, I think Baltimore goes BPA to help their defense. Heyward could have gone a lot higher, but didn't have the amazing senior year predicted of him. Showed in the Bowl game why he's elite.

27. Atlanta Falcons Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh ... The Falcons need someone, anyone to help take the pressure off of Roddy White. Jenkins sealed his fate with the horrible showing in the playoff loss to Green Bay. Dropped passes, penalties, and a fumble. Baldwin is also a very different type of WR to compliment White perfectly.

28. New England Patriots J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin ... Belicheck loves these types of guys. Smart, hard working, and just very talented overall. He'd obviously be a DE and stuff the run but, does have a good first step and can get after the QB. Patriots love to build depth along the DL.

29. Chicago Bears Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College ... Won't wow you with his athleticism, but - has shown at the Senior Bowl he can play LT at the next level and seems more ready to start then guys like Solder or Smith.

30. New York Jets Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia ... They have gotten NO pass rush from their OLBs. They desperately need a rush and Houston could really develop into that pass rusher role.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers James Brewer, OT, Indiana ... Brewer has helped himself immensely at the Senior Bowl. He has shown athleticism to play LT and is really huge. Worst case scenario, you got yourself a huge mammoth that could move to RT or even possibly Guard.

32. Green Bay Packers* Mason Foster, OLB/ILB, Washington ... Very underrated prospect that can play just about any position at Linebacker in any defense. I like Foster to move to the Insider for the Packers. Desmond Bishop is an UFA, Nick Barnett is coming off a serious injury, and AJ Hawk is the only for sure ILB .. and a lot of Packers fans feel he has underperformed.

49erNation85
01-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Hm nice try if all the CB 's are gone by 7 .I don't wanna chance the Gabbert pick .I don't think he could live up to hypness around here .Rather have Locker IMO ( some say otherwise )I just think the right talent we have and coaching staff he will be great in the bay area with in a year while bring back Alex Smith or a vet to fill in .

thebow305
01-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Hm nice try if all the CB 's are gone by 7 .I don't wanna chance the Gabbert pick .I don't think he could live up to hypness around here .Rather have Locker IMO ( some say otherwise )I just think the right talent we have and coaching staff he will be great in the bay area with in a year while bring back Alex Smith or a vet to fill in .

Is this English?

And the Ingram pick is nice, but if Cam is there there, he SHOULD be the Phins pick.

Nalej
01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd be happy with this Pats mock.

Hurricanes25
01-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Houston would be a great pick for the Jets. We really could use a pass rusher.

akvikefan89
01-26-2011, 11:03 PM
With Locker/Gabbert/Mallett off the board, I love the Cameron Jordan pick. Not a Cam Newton fan...

prock
01-27-2011, 12:09 AM
I would prefer Newton, or even Rob Quinn. But I wouldn't hate this pick.

KCJ58
01-27-2011, 12:12 AM
14. St. Louis Rams Julio Jones, WR, Alabama ... Bradford needs someone to throw the damn ball to ...

great write up there

Verloren
01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
7. San Francisco 49ers Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri ... I think it almost has to be QB here. Jimmy is going to want "his guy" and Cam Newton does not seem like a QB for his sytem. Other option is Jake Locker and I don't think he thinks highly of him. He has seen up close and personal how erratic and raw Locker is.

Not too high on Gabbert. Happy feet will be an issue for him in a pro-style offense. If all the CBs are gone, and Harbaugh isn't high on Locker, I'd rather see a DE to play opposite Justin Smith, or a hybrid OLB (if Thaddeus Gibson doesn't work out) to add to the pass rush.

SilentJaguar
01-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Ewww... Cam Newton? No thanks, bub.

GB12
01-27-2011, 01:21 AM
32. Green Bay Packers* – Mason Foster, OLB/ILB, Washington ... Very underrated prospect that can play just about any position at Linebacker in any defense. I like Foster to move to the Insider for the Packers. Desmond Bishop is an UFA, Nick Barnett is coming off a serious injury, and AJ Hawk is the only for sure ILB .. and a lot of Packers fans feel he has underperformed.
Desmond Bishop played so well he got a contract extension. Barnett will be just fine. And Hawk has played extremely well this season. We already have 3 LBs for two spots (and that doesn't even count Chillar) already, we certainly don't need to add another.

vidae
01-27-2011, 02:00 AM
I REALLY like Taylor and I'm glad he has turned his life around, but I doubt Pioli will draft someone with any kind of character concerns.

SRogers92
01-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Desmond Bishop played so well he got a contract extension. Barnett will be just fine. And Hawk has played extremely well this season. We already have 3 LBs for two spots (and that doesn't even count Chillar) already, we certainly don't need to add another.

Did not know that about Bishop ...

AJ Hawk is still due a huge salary next year, $10M ... He's likely to be cut if they don't renegotiate ... Nick Barnett, from everything I've read, is more than likely a foregone conclusion as being let go, at this point ... He was already losing a step or two than you throw this injury into the mix, he may not ever be a quality LB again ... They could be looking at only one legit ILB(Bishop), two injured ones(Chillar, Barnett) ... Pack seem to always go BPA ... Foster would make sense, atleast to me. Worst case scenario, he starts the season off as a backup to Barnett and Chillar and depending on their health, pushes for a starting job.

It's hard to predict that late in the round though, could go any way.

DiG
01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
jordan, quinn, or jones for the skins over locker at this point. well see how locker does during the game this weekend and at combine but so far this week he has continued to show he isnt a top 10 pick. id be all for taking him top of the 2nd round though.

killxswitch
01-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I like Carimi more but I can definitely see SD or another team taking him, so Sherrod to the Colts is a good pick.

Go_Eagles77
01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Brandon Harris is a great pick for the eagles.

gsorace
01-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Justin Houston to the Jets makes me happy

ChicagoBearsVet23
01-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Wheres Nate Solder??? There is no way he falls out the 1st round. He would be a dream pick for the Bears.

GB12
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Did not know that about Bishop ...

AJ Hawk is still due a huge salary next year, $10M ... He's likely to be cut if they don't renegotiate ... Nick Barnett, from everything I've read, is more than likely a foregone conclusion as being let go, at this point ... He was already losing a step or two than you throw this injury into the mix, he may not ever be a quality LB again ... They could be looking at only one legit ILB(Bishop), two injured ones(Chillar, Barnett) ... Pack seem to always go BPA ... Foster would make sense, atleast to me. Worst case scenario, he starts the season off as a backup to Barnett and Chillar and depending on their health, pushes for a starting job.

It's hard to predict that late in the round though, could go any way.

No. Yes, we're going to have to make a decision on Hawk, but no matter what we do we're not going to create a whole at the position. We're either going to extend Hawk and have him as the starter or cut/trade him and have Barnett as the starter. We're not going to waste a first round pick on a position where we already have to good starters on the roster to choose between. And for the record, Barnett was not losing a step before the injury. He had one of his best years of his career in 2009.

Foster doesn't make any sense if you know anything about the Packers.

SRogers92
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Wheres Nate Solder??? There is no way he falls out the 1st round. He would be a dream pick for the Bears.

I think he free falls, easily out of the first ... his year wasn't all that spectacular at all ... he's being hyped on pure potential ... he has been abused in the Senior Bowl right now and if he doesn't perform out of this world at the combine, he'll fall far ... I almost had the Packers taking him as a developmental LOT behind Clifton ... but -- just don't see it with him.

Every year a guy falls who, early on, is projected to go really high ... I think Solder is that guy.

killxswitch
01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
People were predicting Bruce Campbell in the 1st last year and he fell to the 3rd. I don't think Solder is as unpolished but it would not surprise me if he fell to the 2nd round.

TimmG6376
01-27-2011, 01:22 PM
32. Green Bay Packers* Mason Foster, OLB/ILB, Washington ... Very underrated prospect that can play just about any position at Linebacker in any defense. I like Foster to move to the Insider for the Packers. Desmond Bishop is an UFA, Nick Barnett is coming off a serious injury, and AJ Hawk is the only for sure ILB .. and a lot of Packers fans feel he has underperformed.

I actually like this pick. Foster's value seems to be rising. I have a feeling the the value at OT and OLB might not be there. Also, TT hasn't been very good at evaluating the CB position in the draft (Williams, Shields, and Woodson are all free agent signings).

Just FYI though. AJ Hawk is likely gone as a FA, but Bishop got an extension.

Capers could work some magic with Foster's versatility.

proshoota25
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
thats a pretty beastly NE mock. I love Watt, not too sure hes the best fit here in NE, i see him more as a 4-3 DE

TimmG6376
01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
People were predicting Bruce Campbell in the 1st last year and he fell to the 3rd. I don't think Solder is as unpolished but it would not surprise me if he fell to the 2nd round.

I'm crossing my fingers. Packers are in the position to let him sit for a year and develop as long as Clifton doesn't retire. Would love for him to be available at the end of the first.

BallerT1215
01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Aaron Maybin Pt 2 is not what i call upgrading...

T-RICH49
01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I REALLY like Taylor and I'm glad he has turned his life around, but I doubt Pioli will draft someone with any kind of character concerns.

what he said.Houston or Baldwin would be preferred

Pat Sims 90
01-27-2011, 06:20 PM
I like Fairly and all but the Bengals dont need to be drafting Defense in the 1st round when the offense is in such bad shape.

SRogers92
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Do you really pass up on Fairley for a lesser prospect like Julio Jones? I had them going AJ Green but, he's off the board in my mock ... I didn't neglect their offensive needs, but -- unless they trade down, doesn't make sense to pass on Fairley there.

Matthew Jones
01-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I'd be very happy with that Patriots mock but I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots passed on those two out of concerns that they wouldn't translate to a 3-4.

SRogers92
01-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Don't think that has every stopped them before ... Cunningham wasn't a for sure guy that could translate and they took him ... and to me, J.J. Watt was destined to play a 34 DE position.

txparkes49x
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Yeahh... about that. Newton/Locker would be the pick or trade down

bucsti25
01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Great Bucs pick