PDA

View Full Version : 2011 CB class

Umoro
01-27-2011, 06:54 AM
So who really is in the top 3 of the 2011 CB class?

I thought it was easy: 1. Peterson, 2. Amukamara, and 3. Harris.

But recently Todd McShay tweeted this: "Finally got to study 2010 coach-copy tape on colorado CB Jimmy Smith. Silky smooth for 6-2. Might be second best CB behind lsu's Peterson" (http://twitter.com/McShay13/status/30512098370916352)

Could Jimmy Smith actually be a better CB prospect than both Harris and Amukamara? Is the CB talent order (after Peterson, who probably is the de facto #1) not even remotely settled?

Day One Pick
01-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Well there technically isn't any official order. With 32 teams you have 32 unique draft boards. A lot of people lose sight of this. Some teams might like Smith over Amukamara, some might like Harris over Smith and so on. The way players actually come off the board on draft day doesn't even necessarily create an official order. I will say this, Smith's size is a feather in his cap. He's also versatile because he could be a starting corner, a nickle back, or a safety next year.

If you are looking for a current consensus, Smith is 4th.

AntoinCD
01-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Well there technically isn't any official order. With 32 teams you have 32 unique draft boards. A lot of people lose sight of this. Some teams might like Smith over Amukamara, some might like Harris over Smith and so on. The way players actually come off the board on draft day doesn't even necessarily create an official order. I will say this, Smith's size is a feather in his cap. He's also versatile because he could be a starting corner, a nickle back, or a safety next year.

If you are looking for a current consensus, Smith is 4th.

Im not sure where it happened or why but Aaron Williams' stock falling is beyond me and he is still my 3rd/4th CB on the board. Smith I like but I still dont see him as anything more than a fringe first rounder.

no bare feet
01-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Smith is my third behind the two top obvious guys, Jimmy Smith shouldn't fall out of the top 25.

Umoro
01-27-2011, 07:34 AM
What do most of you guys think? Is Jimmy Smith a superior prospect to Prince Amukamara?

El fill de la Reme
01-27-2011, 07:43 AM
nice touch !

BeerBaron
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Im not sure where it happened or why but Aaron Williams' stock falling is beyond me and he is still my 3rd/4th CB on the board. Smith I like but I still dont see him as anything more than a fringe first rounder.

He just didn't have a good year. Getting toasted by Justin Blackmon especially didn't help his cause...

To the thread topic, Peterson is an elite level talent for whom the sky is the limit, and Prince is extremely well polished and could step in as the next lockdown corner in the NFL. (or at least as much of a "lockdown" corner there can be in today's Polian-ized NFL...)

Both should, and I think will be, top 10 picks. Then it's up to that "2nd tier" behind them as to how it shakes out.

RealityCheck
01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I like Smith more everyday. He's a likely late first round pick but could everntually crack a Top 20 spot.

Umoro
01-27-2011, 09:43 AM
He just didn't have a good year. Getting toasted by Justin Blackmon especially didn't help his cause...

To the thread topic, Peterson is an elite level talent for whom the sky is the limit, and Prince is extremely well polished and could step in as the next lockdown corner in the NFL. (or at least as much of a "lockdown" corner there can be in today's Polian-ized NFL...)

Both should, and I think will be, top 10 picks. Then it's up to that "2nd tier" behind them as to how it shakes out.

The point I was trying to make is that people are now making the case that Amukamara is part of that "2nd tier" and that Jimmy Smith is now, based on game tape, the #2 CB directly behind Peterson.

I think that Amukamara can't be considered the consensus #2 anymore, and now it's simply Peterson, and then a mix of Harris, Smith, Amukamara and some other guys.

descendency
01-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I'll take them in this order:
PP
Harris
PA
Jimmy Smith
Aaron Williams

AntoinCD
01-27-2011, 10:35 AM

I don't think he had that bad a year to drop him so far down the rankings in a lot of people's opinions though. As for Blackmon beating him, he also beat Amukamara for a long TD too. Good WRs will sometimes make good CBs look less impressive. Michael Floyd did it to Brandon Harris in the bowl game. Julio Jones did it to Patrick Peterson this year also. I suppose it's just my opinion but I think a lot of people are now sleeping on Williams and if he falls to the late first/early second he will be a steal.

BeerBaron
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't think he had that bad a year to drop him so far down the rankings in a lot of people's opinions though. As for Blackmon beating him, he also beat Amukamara for a long TD too. Good WRs will sometimes make good CBs look less impressive. Michael Floyd did it to Brandon Harris in the bowl game. Julio Jones did it to Patrick Peterson this year also. I suppose it's just my opinion but I think a lot of people are now sleeping on Williams and if he falls to the late first/early second he will be a steal.

Maybe it's not entirely just that game, but it's part of it. Also, many of the other corners have simply looked more impressive, and most of their teams had better years than Texas did as well.

It's a number of factors...I've never thought of Williams as more than a late first rounder anyway, and I've had him definitely behind PP and Prince, and Brandon Harris.

Hollywood
01-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Maybe this has been discussed in another thread, but any chance Janoris Jenkins comes out for the Supplemental Draft? Gotta think a team like the Lions would consider using a second on him if he did, no?

AntoinCD
01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I love Williams' size and ability to be effective in bump and run. He has the strength and arm length to jam bigger WRs effectively and could profile as a #1 CB in man coverage. I think Harris would definitely be better in a zone scheme. I suppose it's what you prefer in a CB though.

AntoinCD
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Maybe this has been discussed in another thread, but any chance Janoris Jenkins comes out for the Supplemental Draft? Gotta think a team like the Lions would consider using a second on him if he did, no?

I don't think it's a likely option. I dont see Muschamp sitting him for any prolonged period of time and he could be a top 15 pick next year.

Clarkw267
01-27-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Smith. I think he's more of a 2nd - 3rd round guy.

Yes. He has the size/speed combination you are looking for at the position, but when I watch him play I don't see anything that says "1st round pick" to me.

Here are some notes I took down on him.

Pros:
Good closing speed, has ability to turn and run with receivers.
Looks smooth and fluid for his size when flipping his hips in coverage.
Maintains solid leverage on the WR when in man coverage.
Uses his hands well at the LOS when playing bump and run.

Cons:
Not a good tackler, and doesn't show a lot of initiative in run support.
Doesn't play with great technique and at times gets high in his backpedal.
Doesn't give maximum effort on every play
Isn't a playmaker at the position
Ball skills leave something to be desired.

TheDieNasty
01-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Smith is a great press corner, i think he's right on par with Amukamara but Peterson is without a doubt the best Corner in this draft IMO.

evenar
01-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Is there anyone in the 3rd-5th round range who can be plugged in right away as a nickel back?

Mr. Goosemahn
01-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Peterson is a better prospect based solely on his measurables. He has great production, as does Amukamara. Those two guys are elite, and IMO, in a league of their own.

After them, I have Smith and Harris. Both guys were lock down CB this year, and due to the same reason I have PP over PA, I have Smith over Harris. Bigger, stronger, ability to match-up better vs. the big receivers like Fitzy and Andre.

1.a) Peterson
1.b) Amukamara

2. Jimmy Smith
3. Brandon Harris

Rest

thegreatone
01-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I haven't really watched a lot of Smith, but have heard some say he has very stiff hips.

Is he the victim of the tall CB myth, or this an actual concern? Because a CB's hips are just as important as a LB's arms IMO.