PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Sleeper Running Backs

grover33
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
What is everyone's favorite Sleeper RB? This class doesn't seem to have too many in my opinion but then again I havn't looked to hard into it. The only guy that comes to my mind is Taiwan Jones. Any of you people have any guys you have fallen in love with? Videos Welcomed!

Hurricanes25
01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Delone Carter from Syracuse. He'll be starter in the league sometime in the near future.

Day One Pick
01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Dion Lewis...he'll be a 3rd-4th round steal. Hopefully by the Steelers.

will99890
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Delone Carter from Syracuse. He'll be starter in the league sometime in the near future.

Didn't take long for my choice to get taken... Oh well, I guess I will nominate Jacquizz Rodgers and Anthony Allen.

I like Rodgers' quickness and acceleration, and he will be available very late IMO.

For a big man I really like Allen's feet. Not a sprinter by any means, but he has great balance and elusiveness for a big guy.

JHL6719
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Allen Bradford

Master Exploder
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I was going to say Delone Carter from Syracuse also.

Duffman57
01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I love me some alex geen. Hell be a great. 3rd down back for someone

Iamcanadian
01-27-2011, 04:25 PM
There are a lot of good change of pace type RB's in this year's draft. The combine will sort them out but at the Senior Bowl I liked the look of Derrick Locke of Kentucky if his speed checks out.

RealityCheck
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I'll say Taiwan Jones. Could be a great situational back.

ellsy82
01-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Armondo Allen Jr., Notre Dame

nikkayeah
01-28-2011, 12:39 AM
shane vereen

Clarkw267
01-28-2011, 01:03 AM
A healthy Graig Cooper = A productive NFL RB.

PatrickWillis
01-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Allen Bradford

Yep. Powerful runner who has an excellent burst through the hole at 230 lbs...Just needs to work on pass catching and pass blocking. He'll be a late round steal.

MrRedskins
01-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Yes!! Allen Bradford and Graig Cooper (I hope your favorite team doesn't snatch them up in the later rounds b4 my Skins swipe one) ...

Bilal Powell, also

Quailman
01-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Delone Carter, Bilal Powell, Damien Berry, Taiwan Jones and Da'Rel Scott. Carter reminds me of Michael Turner. Bilal Powell has good size and a very good burst, I believe that he will be a good starter in the NFL. Jones is a guy who is electric in space, if you get him in a scheme that gets their runners in space he could be similar to LeSean McCoy. Damien Berry doesn't display a lot of wiggle but he doesn't waste any motion, he runs hard and he has pretty good speed. Scott is small but he is built pretty thick and he is explosive too with his hard charging, explosive and efficient style of running would make him a good fit in a ZBS.

descendency
01-28-2011, 03:22 AM
The guy who started in front of everyone's former #2 RB (Ryan Williams), Darren Evans.

The guy was one of the best running backs in college football before he tore his ACL and now he's finally healthy. He doesn't fumble. He won't be a top 5 RB in the NFL, but he will be a critical role player somewhere.

SimonRath
01-28-2011, 07:59 AM
jacquizz rodgers. LOVE THIS GUY!

DOMINATEtheline
01-28-2011, 08:23 AM
I think these two runners upside is through the roof...

Jaime harper of Clemson, I think all he needs is some good hard-nosed positional coach, he has the power, the hands and light feet to be a big time player at the next level, he just needs to stop dancing around and he a north and south runner.

Craig Cooper; I think he can be an elite game changer at the next level, but everything depends on his physical health and the situation he finds himself by whoever drafts him. I thnk he needs to be eased into....get some good positional coaching and have him returning kicks/punts at first. Someone that needs 10-15 touches a game, receiving, special teams, and rushing.

The NY GIANTS need to pick up at least another back, Jacobs days seem to be numbered, which is not a bad thing.

thenewfeature06
01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I also like Armando Allen

Matthew Jones
01-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I think the league is moving towards more running back committees (especially with the looming 18-game season), so I think someone like Kendall Hunter will make themselves indispensible the NFL a la Kevin Faulk, even if he's not an every-down kind of player.

Umoro
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Evan Royster of Penn State.

Plays like a younge Eddie George. Could be a consistent 1000+ yard rusher in the NFL if he works at it.

SKim172
01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I'd say Anthony Allen too. Might take him some time to get up to speed coming out of the triple-option.

jbooshey
01-28-2011, 11:33 PM
A healthy John Clay could be next years LeGarrette Blount.

Day One Pick
01-29-2011, 05:55 AM
I think these two runners upside is through the roof...

Jaime harper of Clemson, I think all he needs is some good hard-nosed positional coach, he has the power, the hands and light feet to be a big time player at the next level, he just needs to stop dancing around and he a north and south runner.

Craig Cooper; I think he can be an elite game changer at the next level, but everything depends on his physical health and the situation he finds himself by whoever drafts him. I thnk he needs to be eased into....get some good positional coaching and have him returning kicks/punts at first. Someone that needs 10-15 touches a game, receiving, special teams, and rushing.

The NY GIANTS need to pick up at least another back, Jacobs days seem to be numbered, which is not a bad thing.

I like Jamie Harper too.

PrimetimeTheDon
01-31-2011, 12:29 AM
I like Armando Allen to find a role in the NFL. I think Allen Bradford is garbage.

JPP90
01-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Delone and Bilal have been my sleepers for a looong time now. I see they've become popular. Jordan Todman...apparently people forgot about him. The next Jamaal Charles.

ElectricEye
01-31-2011, 02:19 AM
Taiwan Jones is still my guy for this category. Really love what he brings to the table.

Duffman57
01-31-2011, 02:58 AM
Taiwan Jones is still my guy for this category. Really love what he brings to the table.

How can u say he has anything close to a RB's body. I'd be surprised if the guy weighed in at 6'1" 180, let alone 200. He's got a receivers body. He lacks any muscle in the rear and legs, and looks like a stick out there.

nofalcons10
01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Alex Green
Keith Payne
Chad Spann

RealityCheck
01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
How can u say he has anything close to a RB's body. I'd be surprised if the guy weighed in at 6'1" 180, let alone 200. He's got a receivers body. He lacks any muscle in the rear and legs, and looks like a stick out there.
Danny Woodhead, Darren Sproles and C.J. Spiller say hello.

Woodhead and Sproles are way shorter than Taiwan but they have the same type of body.

Unbiased
01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Jacquizz Rodgers. 1,000 yards in each season. Production in the passing game. Runs hard. I think he could be a starter very early in his career.

JPP90
02-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Quizz is a situational back, not a starter.

descendency
02-01-2011, 12:33 AM

Woodhead and Sproles are way shorter than Taiwan but they have the same type of body.

Woodhead runs behind an elite run-blocking OL. Sproles is now a backup and was good for one season. CJ Spiller sucks.

edit: I'm 100% leery of thin legged backs.

Caulibflower
02-01-2011, 12:43 AM

Spectacularly wrong. They're built way thicker. Skinny guys get injured because the impact is distributed more intensely through their bones and joints. MJD, Woodhead and Sproles are all short, but thickly built. They're better protected. And descendency just said it, but CJ Spiller basically sucked last year. So... "Hello CJ, thanks for showing me why not to draft a guy who's worse than you."

Caulibflower
02-01-2011, 12:54 AM
I've liked Derrick Locke for awhile. I'm not going to call him a starter, but I think he's severely underrated. Super-productive in the SEC on a really bad team. I liked the way he ran at the Senior Bowl, too. I see him as a third-down back and kick returner, but a valuable player in that capacity. His size is obviously what limits his stock. Warrick Dunn-esque.

ellsy82
02-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Chad Spann is an interesting choice. I think he has the body type and production to be successful. I'm still going with Armondo Allen Jr. I think he's Willie Parker Jr. Won't help any team without a stellar line. Could be a homerun hit for a team like the Jets, '9ers, or the Jags if they can ever draft a center worth a damn.

ellsy82
02-01-2011, 01:42 AM
I've liked Derrick Locke for awhile. I'm not going to call him a starter, but I think he's severely underrated. Super-productive in the SEC on a really bad team. I liked the way he ran at the Senior Bowl, too. I see him as a third-down back and kick returner, but a valuable player in that capacity. His size is obviously what limits his stock. Warrick Dunn-esque.

Locke sure looked good in the Senior Bowl.

batsandgats
02-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Chase Reynolds, 4,000+ rushing yards 800+ receiving yards, 50+ touchdowns in 3 years at Montana. Say what you want, but the Big Sky has put some decent players in the NFL. Marc Mariani was picked up by the Titans last year in the 7th and made the pro bowl this year. I remember him standing out at Montana but he certainly wasn't a man among boys. I think Chase would do well on a team like the Saints that use multiple backs, great 7th round or FA back.

AcF95LvdzfE

Unbiased
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM

People said the same thing about a lot of backs. Why do you, though? He's built closer to Maurice Jones-Drew, not Noel Devine so his lack of height isn;t the problem.

SimonRath
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM

ill take him as a "situational" starter for a couple years then take over the starting position from Turner.

TimmG6376
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
A healthy John Clay could be next years LeGarrette Blount.

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone reported that Clay played last season at 275lbs!!!!! He is reportedly down to 250lbs now.

Brent
02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
I am a big fan of Allen Bradford.

DiG
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
i am a big todman fan. i really like his style and his nfl potential to be a game changer. probably a guy that will move quickly up draft boards and end up not being a "sleeper" but right now i think hes being lost in the shuffle somehow.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
DaRel Scott out of Maryland is the fastest player in the Draft. he will be at the NFL combine he should run a sub 4.33. he has Chris Johnson type speed. At 5'11 200 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hleY7FV8Lhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADjVJ3MKd8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vNu1O6tWA

Caulibflower
02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Chase Reynolds, 4,000+ rushing yards 800+ receiving yards, 50+ touchdowns in 3 years at Montana. Say what you want, but the Big Sky has put some decent players in the NFL. Marc Mariani was picked up by the Titans last year in the 7th and made the pro bowl this year. I remember him standing out at Montana but he certainly wasn't a man among boys. I think Chase would do well on a team like the Saints that use multiple backs, great 7th round or FA back.

AcF95LvdzfE

I hadn't seen him before that video, but he's a pretty good-looking running back. He's got quick feet and he runs with some power. Color me slightly impressed.

Woody56
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Mario Fannin. The next in line of under-used RB's in college who blow up in the NFL.

Big Bird
02-02-2011, 04:36 PM
DaRel Scott out of Maryland is the fastest player in the Draft. he will be at the NFL combine he should run a sub 4.33. he has Chris Johnson type speed. At 5'11 200 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hleY7FV8Lhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADjVJ3MKd8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vNu1O6tWA
Scott doesn't have Chris Johnson speed.

Nobody does...

Caulibflower
02-02-2011, 06:14 PM
I hadn't seen him before that video, but he's a pretty good-looking running back. He's got quick feet and he runs with some power. Color me slightly impressed.

After looking him up, I was surprised to see that he's only listed at 194 lbs. He looks bigger than that on the tape.

A Perfect Score
02-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Im a huge fan of Shane Vereen. I think he's going to be a hell of a playmaker in the NFL, whether he's part of a committee or carrying the load. The guy is explosive and can do it all. Think Forsett but better.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-02-2011, 08:59 PM
He is very fast I will tell you that. He has world class wheels.Scott doesn't have Chris Johnson speed.

Nobody does...

DiG
02-03-2011, 11:30 AM
He is very fast I will tell you that. He has world class wheels.

so did michael bennett. im a die hard terps fan but i honestly dont think that scott has been the same since injuries. he was a better rb earlier in his md career than when he ended it. just didnt hit the holes with the same instincts or confidence that he used to.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
He is very fast I will tell you that. He has world class wheels.

Scott is definitely fast although I don't expect him to run faster than Locke or Devine but who knows because of his sprinter experience. Still though Scott is a guy who takes a bit to generate speed. He's not a quick burst kind of guy which is more important than long range speed for a RB. I agree that he's a bit underrated and I'd take him in the 4th but while decent he isn't a great between the tackles runner and while he might be one of the faster running backs in terms of straight line speed his quickness/shiftiness, and charge of direction are average. Having straight line speed is great but for a back quickness into cuts if far more important.

JHL6719
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
so did michael bennett.

So did Trung Canidate.

holt_bruce81
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
I like Jamie Harper from Clemson. Where is his draft stock right now? late round guy?

SeanTaylorRIP
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I like Jamie Harper from Clemson. Where is his draft stock right now? late round guy?

Late round-undrafted, there are a glut of short yardage backs in this years draft.

JPP90
02-04-2011, 12:53 AM
People said the same thing about a lot of backs. Why do you, though? He's built closer to Maurice Jones-Drew, not Noel Devine so his lack of height isn;t the problem.

Not quite. He's actually in between a Devine (too small) and MJD (absolute minumum for a starting RB). He still has 20 pounds to make up to be the size of MJD and he needs to hit the leg press for a few years to make his thighs the size of a tank like MJD. In fairness id say he isn't built like either. 5'7 190 is a situational back...its not a workhorse. And we still have the Combine to see what he really measures. The guy could be 5'6 180..we don't know yet.

Caulibflower
02-04-2011, 01:01 AM
I heard something where MJD actually weighed close to 220 at some point. The guy is just really thick, despite being short. He's not "small" except for his lack of height.

brat316
02-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Delone Carter and who ever is drafted or UDFA by Mike Shanny.

JPP90
02-04-2011, 01:07 AM
I heard something where MJD actually weighed close to 220 at some point. The guy is just really thick, despite being short. He's not "small" except for his lack of height.

One of MJD's thighs are bigger than Quizz's entire body. He just has an insane lower body. And that's why he's been able to succeed at the NFL level...same with Rice. They're not small, they're short. Under 200 and you're small. 200 or more at any height and you're short worst-case.

ammandss
02-04-2011, 09:11 AM
The Payne Train, Keith Payne from Virginia. The guy didn't play last year so he didn't have much buzz coming into the season but he ran strong and had a nose for the endzone this year. At 255 lbs. he'll be a good powerful back as long as his 40 time isn't too slow. With a decent 40, he'll be a great sleeper pick.

Saints-Tigers
02-04-2011, 02:21 PM
3 years in a row the saints have found a RB from the free agent wire that I really like (Thomas, Hamilton, Ivory). I even really liked Jammal Branch in the preseason, he was HOT. Anyone know where he is now? He can definitely contribute in the NFL.

Anyway, just be on the lookout for whoever SEan Payton scoops up after the draft.

batsandgats
02-04-2011, 03:18 PM
After looking him up, I was surprised to see that he's only listed at 194 lbs. He looks bigger than that on the tape.

Well, when they played Eastern Washington, he looked much thicker than Taiwan Jones, who is generously listed at 200. Their height is listed pretty close together with Jones at 5'113 and Reynolds at 5'106. They play pretty much the same teams so they shouldn't look too different if they were similar weights. We'll see at the combine on whether Jones is close to that weight, I doubt it. Ive read that Reynolds is around 200 now but he didn't get a combine invite. With his frame you would think he would be able to add at least another 10 pounds with an NFL strength and conditioning program.

xpmar9x
02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Earlier Rounds Sleeper: Kendall Hunter
Later Rounds Sleeper: John Clay

I think Hunter could be the best RB out of this draft class in a few years.. call me crazy. He reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw-ish, and will make a great 3rd down RB.

Caulibflower
02-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Well, when they played Eastern Washington, he looked much thicker than Taiwan Jones, who is generously listed at 200. Their height is listed pretty close together with Jones at 5'113 and Reynolds at 5'106. They play pretty much the same teams so they shouldn't look too different if they were similar weights. We'll see at the combine on whether Jones is close to that weight, I doubt it. Ive read that Reynolds is around 200 now but he didn't get a combine invite. With his frame you would think he would be able to add at least another 10 pounds with an NFL strength and conditioning program.

That's what I was thinking. Watching him on tape initially, I was thinking he was 215+. Even 210 would be enough weight for the way he runs. After I posted that, though, it occurred to me that all the players on that field are likely to be slightly smaller in general, which would make him look bigger comparatively. That said, he does have a good frame on him. I rewatched some of the tape, and on closer inspection you can see that he could use some a little bulking up, although he certainly looks like he could hold it.

katnip
02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Whats Hurricanes' Damien Berry stock like right now?

Hurricanes25
02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Whats Hurricanes' Damien Berry stock like right now?

Late rounder/UDFA. He'll stick somewhere as a # 3 back.

nikkayeah
02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
alex green and shane vereen

kennyb
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
why is allen bradford not rated higher? Is he not as good as Leshoure? In what way?

Clarkw267
02-07-2011, 04:16 PM
why is allen bradford not rated higher? Is he not as good as Leshoure? In what way?

Quick answer

No he's is not... In every way.

TACKLE
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Late rounder/UDFA. He'll stick somewhere as a # 3 back.

Apparently he tore it up at Texas vs. the Nation and really impressed a lot of people.

JPP90
02-08-2011, 02:29 AM
Apparently he tore it up at Texas vs. the Nation and really impressed a lot of people.

He was the best RB in the game but that's really not saying much. Had a couple good runs..not sure it elevated him above late round status though.

Caulibflower
02-09-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm thinking DeMarco Murray might actually belong in this thread. I've seen a number of mocks where he gets passed over in the first two rounds, and if some team gets him in the third (...fourth?) they could find themselves with a key contributer to their offense and perhaps an impact kick returner as well. I can easily envision him immediately assuming a role not unlike Felix Jones' in Dallas. I think DeMarco Murray has better long speed than Felix, though.

TheFinisher
02-09-2011, 07:32 AM
I would say Delone Carter because dude will be an absolute stud in the NFL but I don't think he qualifies as a sleeper anymore, I think he could rise as high as third in RB rankings after the combine. He's going to run a 4.4 and bench press more than some defensive lineman.

As far as my REAL sleeper pick I'll go out on a limb and say Vai Taua. He's another guy who does everything well but nothing truly elite, he's a tough runner with quick feet but lacks breakaway speed, he does a nice job picking up the blitz, and he has good hands out of the backfield. Dude's hard to bring down, he'd be best served as a compliment to a CJ2K type of back where he can come in and pound between the tackles. I think he's the type of guy who will never set the world on fire but will eventually make a living as a dependable #2.

jth1331
02-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking DeMarco Murray might actually belong in this thread. I've seen a number of mocks where he gets passed over in the first two rounds, and if some team gets him in the third (...fourth?) they could find themselves with a key contributer to their offense and perhaps an impact kick returner as well. I can easily envision him immediately assuming a role not unlike Felix Jones' in Dallas. I think DeMarco Murray has better long speed than Felix, though.

I was going to say, Murray might be the most overlooked RB from what I'm seeing.
Murray has the vision, instincts, basically everything you want in a back. He can pick up a blitz, he can catch the ball like a WR, he has decent speed, he has power.
I think give him a split carry job with some team, and in a few years he can become a starter and really flourish.

scottyboy
02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Murray is very good. I don't see him falling past the 3rd.
I'm also a very big Dion Lewis fan (surprising, I know). But I think he can stick somewhere in the NFL and will be a good steal for someone in rounds 5-7 (where he's really being projected right now)

Imrighturwrong
02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Tawain Jones, I know he is small and is injury prone, but the guy has moves and speed.

Caulibflower
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Nobody's mentioned Stevan Ridley yet. Came out too soon, but was productive in the SEC last year. He's big and physical, and ran a 6.78 3-cone at 230 lbs today to show he's got some agility, too.