PDA

View Full Version : QB Prospects NFL Comparison

Skinzfan_21
01-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey Everybody,

I've been a long time lurker on this board, but just finally decided to set up an account. My question is among the top QB's in this draft, who would their closest NFL comparison be. By this I mean Gabbert, Locker, Newton, Mallet. If you have a strong comparison about any of the other QBs, feel free to include those as well.

Thanks in advance

JHL6719
01-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Blaine Gabbert - Tim Couch

Ryan Mallett - Jim Druckenmiller

Jake Locker - Heath Shuler

Cam Newton - Daunte Culpepper

Colin Kaepernick - Alex Smith

Preston
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I see a lot of Cutler in Gabbert. Poor mechanics, relies on arm strength, can move and make any throw in the books. At best, Newton reminds me a bit of a faster / less accurate Ben Roethlisberger, but there's not really a player like Newton in the league right now. As far as Locker goes, I'll say Vince Young; much more natural of a runner than a passer, but Locker has more physical tools than Young did. Mallett is very much like Derek Anderson.

brasho
01-27-2011, 04:25 PM

I gotta say you are so far off on all of these except Newton. That is an interesting one and I like it.

You realize that Druckenmiller was more of an athlete playing QB. Tough, a runner, not a great thrower. And Heath Shuler wasn't a great runner. And Tim Couch had a lollipop arm.

Mallett-Drew Bledsoe

Jake Locker-Akili Smith

Cam Newton-Daunte Culpepper (like it so much I'm stealing it)

Blaine Gabbert-Josh Freeman (only a tad smaller and not quite as athletic)

Colin Kaepernick-Randall Cunningham

Ricky Stanzi-Brady Quinn

Andy Dalton-Brian Griese

Christian Ponder-Brian Brohm

RealityCheck
01-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Ryan Mallett - Derek Anderson
Blaine Gabbert - Matt Leinart
Cam Newton - JaMarcus Russell with turbo (not a good one though)
Jake Locker - Troy Smith
Ricky Stanzi - Tom Brady (Pre-breakthrough)
Andy Dalton - Matt Ryan
Colin Kaepernick - DATABASE_ERROR_NO_POSSIBLE_COMPARISON;TOO_MUCH_AWE SOMENESS

whatadai
01-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Seems like everyone is just throwing out random names just cause one aspect of their game stands out more to the poster.

trevhipp12
01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Jake Locker - Jay Cutler
Blaine Gabbert - Joe Flacco
Cam Newton - Daunte Culpepper(been sayin it for a while)
Ryan Mallett - Derek Anderson(hadn't found one till i saw this thread, liked this comparison)

PatrickWillis
01-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I gotta say you are so far off on all of these except Newton. That is an interesting one and I like it.

You realize that Druckenmiller was more of an athlete playing QB. Tough, a runner, not a great thrower. And Heath Shuler wasn't a great runner. And Tim Couch had a lollipop arm.

Mallett-Drew Bledsoe

Jake Locker-Akili Smith

Ricky Stanzi-Brady Quinn

Andy Dalton-Brian Griese

Christian Ponder-Brian Brohm

Stanzi is not Brady Quinn...His accuracy and release blow Quinn's out of the water.

I'd go with this:

Cam Newton-Vince Young
Ryan Mallett-Jay Cutler
Blaine Gabbert-Alex Smith
Ricky Stanzi-Tom Brady
Pat Devlin-Joe Flacco

Brent
01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Pat Devlin-Joe Flacco
besides that they went to Delaware, I dont see the comparison.

PatrickWillis
01-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Same lightning quick release, played in same offense, same uncanny accuracy....Take a look at some video on Flacco in Delaware and you'd see the similarities.

SKim172
01-27-2011, 11:59 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this was meant as a joke. I will then surmise that a whole lot of people didn't get it.

Off-topic, does anyone remember how the 1999 draft was supposed to be the "Year of the Quarterback"? (I mean, I don't, because I was a kid and I wasn't into the draft, but it's fun to look back on that year anyway.) Five quarterbacks in the first round alone.

Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown - these were the names and faces that revolutionized the NFL of the new millennium, with an astounding zero Super Bowl wins among them.

2002 was a great draft for QBs as well - 15 total, 3 in the first: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey. The only relevant QB to come out of this draft was David Garrard.

(edit)
Also, Jake Locker is clearly Ryan Leaf. That way, the Wazzu fans will be able to mock U-Dub with equal ferocity.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-28-2011, 12:11 AM

Mallett-Drew Bledsoe

Jake Locker-Akili Smith

Ricky Stanzi-Brady Quinn

Andy Dalton-Brian Griese

Christian Ponder-Brian BrohmRight on the mark with Kaepernick/Cunningham.

SickwithIt1010
01-28-2011, 12:31 AM

Agreed, they are nowhere near the same. Devlin has nowhere near the arm, or the size of Flacco.

Devlin is not even close to Flacco's level.

Clarkw267
01-28-2011, 01:25 AM
I think Mallett is somewhere between Flacco and Bledsoe , as a giant sized QB with a rocket arm.

There isn't really a comparison for Newton. He's a better passer than Vince Young, but a much better runner than Culpepper, McNabb... etc.

it's late... i'm tired.. that's all for now.

PatrickWillis
01-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Agreed, they are nowhere near the same. Devlin has nowhere near the arm, or the size of Flacco.

Devlin is not even close to Flacco's level.

He has less of an arm but the release is spot on with Flacco's. I think it has something to do with their QB coach. The deadly accuracy is there as well. Flacco was probably a better athlete though.

Quailman
01-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Jake Locker - Donovan McNabb
Blaine Gabbert - Tough one. I think that if you let him develop on the bench for a few years he could be a very good player. His combination of arm strength and mobility have me thinking Aaron Rodgers. But he is so raw and not ready that he won't be ready to play in season 1.
Cam Newton - Ben Roethlisberger with a tendency to scramble more often.
Andy Dalton - Matt Flynn
Ricky Stanzi - Kyle Orton
Pat Delvin - Matt Hasselbeck
Christian Ponder - Kevin Kolb

brasho
01-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Stanzi is not Brady Quinn...His accuracy and release blow Quinn's out of the water.

I'd go with this:

Cam Newton-Vince Young
Ryan Mallett-Jay Cutler
Blaine Gabbert-Alex Smith
Ricky Stanzi-Tom Brady
Pat Devlin-Joe Flacco

You're going to critique me on Stanzi vs Quinn when you make some of the worst comparisons of all-time?

Cam Newton has a much stronger arm and better mechanics than Vince Young. I compared him to Daunte Culpepper because of his size, power, and powerful arm.

You compared Mallett to Jay Cutler? Jay Cutler has way better athletic ability than Mallett and Mallett is far taller. I compared Mallett to Bledsoe because both are tall guys with great arms but are near statues in the pocket.

You compared Gabbert to Alex Smith. Gabbert has a way better arm than Smith and is a good amount larger. I compared Gabbert to Josh Freeman (a tad smaller and less athletic one) because of his over-reliance on physical tools, playing in a college spread in which his sophomore season's performance may have been better than his junior season, his good athletic ability for his size, good arm, and ability to make plays out of the pocket.

You compared Stanzi to Tom Brady? Brady was a one year starter at Michigan and didn't have half of Stanzi's movement and improvisational skills. Stanzi likely had a stronger arm at this point as well. I compared Stanzi to Brady Quinn because they have similar size and physiques (Tom Brady looked like a doughy computer nerd), athletic ability, arm strength, streaky accuracy, and his sudden surge his last season in college after being mediocre for the first part of it. If you think Stanzi's accuracy and release blow Quinn's out of the water, how do you explain Stanzi's junior year? Also, Stanzi completed 64% of his passes in his senior year compared to Quinn's 62% (not a big difference). Then compare Stanzi's junior season, his 2nd year as a starter (17-15 TDs to INTs) to Quinn sophomore season, his 2nd season as a starter (17-10). For their entire college careers, Stanzi's com% was 59.8 despite not starting until his redshirt sophomore season while Quinn's was 58.0% despite starting from early in his true freshman season and having thrown nearly 700 more career passes. Stanzi's accuracy beats Quinn by a tiny bit but then factor Quinn started all 4 years, starting as a true freshman and Stanzi didn't start his first game until his 3rd year in college, his redshirt sophomore season, I'm pretty sure Quinn vs Stanzi in regards to accuracy is pretty close.

You compared Pat Devlin to Joe Flacco? This might be the all-time worst comparison I've ever seen. Other than both playing their ball at Delaware, these two share NOTHING in common. Pat Devlin is much smaller than Joe Flacco, Flacco has much better speed than Devlin, Devlin's arm is a popgun compared to Flacco's Howitzer. C'mon man! I didn't even do a comparison for Devlin because he is so average in every aspect of his game, something Flacco is not. But if you want a comparison, here's one... Pat Devlin is compared to Billy Volek.

brasho
01-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Jake Locker - Donovan McNabb
Blaine Gabbert - Tough one. I think that if you let him develop on the bench for a few years he could be a very good player. His combination of arm strength and mobility have me thinking Aaron Rodgers. But he is so raw and not ready that he won't be ready to play in season 1.
Cam Newton - Ben Roethlisberger with a tendency to scramble more often.
Andy Dalton - Matt Flynn
Ricky Stanzi - Kyle Orton
Pat Delvin - Matt Hasselbeck
Christian Ponder - Kevin Kolb

See, these are some pretty good comparisons. One thing with the Gabbert comparision to Rodgers other than the obvious height issue, because Rodgers isn't nearly as tall, but Rodgers didn't start until year 4.

brasho
01-28-2011, 09:43 AM
He has less of an arm but the release is spot on with Flacco's. I think it has something to do with their QB coach. The deadly accuracy is there as well. Flacco was probably a better athlete though.

Probably a better athlete? Devlin is nowhere close. His arm is nowhere close and his size is nowhere close. There is no element of their games that are remotely similar.

brasho
01-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Same lightning quick release, played in same offense, same uncanny accuracy....Take a look at some video on Flacco in Delaware and you'd see the similarities.

Yeah, they played in the same offense, does that make Vince Young and Garrett Gilbert similar?

BTW, Flacco's uncanny accuracy, which by the way, he played in the passing spread, was a very mediocre 63.5% considering the offense he played in. Also, his accuracy and level of competition were the two biggest questions when he came out of school. Devlin's was 68%... all Devlin has is accuracy.

jrdrylie
01-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Jake Locker- David Garrard
Cam Newton- Vince Young with a better arm.
Blaine Gabbert- Jay Cutler
Ryan Mallett- JaMarcus Russell
Christian Ponder- Chad Pennington (arm may be stronger)
Andy Dalton- Brady Quinn?

bucfan12
01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Jake Locker- Alex Smith
Cam Newton- Vince Young
Blaine Gabbert- Ben Roethlibuerger
Ryan Mallett- Ryan Leaf
Andy Dalton- Chad Pennington
Colin Kaepernick- Phillip Rivers

Matthew Jones
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Best case/worst case:

Blaine Gabbert - Ben Roethlisberger / Jake Plummer
Cam Newton - Daunte Culpepper / Vince Young
Jake Locker - Donovan McNabb / Kyle Boller
Ryan Mallett - Drew Bledsoe / Derek Anderson

Unbiased
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Jake Locker- David Garrard
Cam Newton- Vince Young with a better arm.
Blaine Gabbert- Jay Cutler
Ryan Mallett- JaMarcus Russell
Christian Ponder- Chad Pennington (arm may be stronger)
Andy Dalton- Brady Quinn?

That's a good one. Maybe if Locker gets thrown in earlier than Garrard, he can be better long term.

irishbucsfan
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM

How ******* dare you.

ElectricEye
01-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Blaine Gabbert reminds me a LOT of a stronger armed version of Matt Cassel.

Babylon
01-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Best case/worst case:

Blaine Gabbert - Ben Roethlisberger / Jake Plummer
Cam Newton - Daunte Culpepper / Vince Young
Jake Locker - Donovan McNabb / Kyle Boller
Ryan Mallett - Drew Bledsoe / Derek Anderson

Gabbert i dont think is as strong as Ben and probably has more pocket command than Plummer but i like these.