PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got An Opinion On Missouri DE / OLB Aldon Smith

PatrickWillis
01-27-2011, 06:49 PM
So far after the little footage I have seen and a few full games he is my favorite 3-4 rusher prospect in this draft. Has a great swim move and is quick as hell. I like Robert Quinn and Von Miller as well but this guy just seems like the one with the best chance to be a legit 12-14 sack candidate at the next level.

Here's some quick videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSG8ETv7_ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyDrwMkV-c&feature=related

Toby Flenderson
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Yes, I do. Aldon is a stupid name.

PatrickWillis
01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Yes, I do. Aldon is a stupid name.

Tremendous add to the discussion.

Don Vito
01-27-2011, 07:06 PM
I really like Smith, he is one guy who I think could be very successful in a 3-4 or 4-3. He would be great for a team like Tampa as a RE but I also would love the Pats to give him a look as an outside linebacker. He has a long frame and is athletic but he isn't just a wire, he has some strength to him. I'm a pretty big fan of Smith.

BTW you have an awesome username.

PatrickWillis
01-27-2011, 07:16 PM
BTW you have an awesome username.

Ole Miss fan, eh? Big thanks to your program for producing most dominating ILB in football.... Patrick has been one of the few reasons why I still watched Niner games these past few years...

Toby Flenderson
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Tremendous add to the discussion.

Addition. And I do try my very hardest. :-)

holt_bruce81
01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Tremendous player for Missouri. I think he has the most potential of any Defensive End in this draft class. In my opinion he's a 4-3 Defensive End, not a 3-4 outside line backer, which I'm sure many people are going to want to see if he can play that position.

Played in a 4-3 at Missouri and coach Steckel used him in a variety of ways, moving him inside, moving him to the right, to the left. Most teams are probably going to want him to add some weight, has a variety of pass rushing moves.

Broke his leg this year, came back 4 weeks later and helped Missouri beat the #1 ranked team in the country, getting multiple Quarterback pressures and an interception. I could see him running the 40-yard dash in 4.60-4.65

Borat
01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Woot! Patrick Willis is at SWDC. Holla!

cajuncorey
01-27-2011, 07:38 PM
looks a lot like jason pierre paul

SenorGato
01-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Two DL guys I'm very weary of...Allen Bailey and Aldon Smith...Bailey because I think Cameron Jordan is the prospect everyone seems to think Bailey is...Smith because he came out as a junior with his stock at an all time high.

He's a very talented player...beyond that we'll have to see...Personally I hope he blows up at combine so that he helps the fall of Cameron Heyward to the Jets.

PatrickWillis
01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Tremendous player for Missouri. I think he has the most potential of any Defensive End in this draft class. In my opinion he's a 4-3 Defensive End, not a 3-4 outside line backer, which I'm sure many people are going to want to see if he can play that position.

Played in a 4-3 at Missouri and coach Steckel used him in a variety of ways, moving him inside, moving him to the right, to the left. Most teams are probably going to want him to add some weight, has a variety of pass rushing moves.

Broke his leg this year, came back 4 weeks later and helped Missouri beat the #1 ranked team in the country, getting multiple Quarterback pressures and an interception. I could see him running the 40-yard dash in 4.60-4.65

You don't think he has the ability to drop into zone coverage to make him a 3-4 OLB? I think it would take time, but athletically, he's a freak. And the most important attribute in a 3-4 OLB is ability to rush the passer. I guess we'll see.

dannyz
01-27-2011, 08:14 PM
I think he is more of a polished DE than Paul was.

RWills
01-27-2011, 08:19 PM
He sounds great but with his injury this year and going back to his freshman tape is not as much film scouts would like and coming in only as a So with very little experience and being so young going into the NFL off field....but who knows he might be that guy that can do it....and I guess the question is do you take a chance in the top half of round one? I know BB won't...for me atleast I will hold out for the combine to see if he can go backwards smoothly and hear how the interviews go

DBNYDP
01-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Raw as a sushi roll

87Canes
01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Aldon has high potential to be an outstanding 3-4 WOLB. Rushing off the edge would be his strength but not pass coverage. I question his strength or attempt to bullrush an NFL tackle though. He does need to bulk up a bit and get stronger. He's got really long arms which helps him when trying to strip QBs (Derrick Thomas/Tamba Hali style)

D-Unit
01-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I think he's got upside that you can't teach. Very moldable, but not a finished product by any means... a good thing in this case. He can be great... but no prospect's success is guaranteed.

PTPaQ
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM
The next Demarcus Ware.

PatrickWillis
01-27-2011, 09:09 PM
The next Demarcus Ware.

I definitely see the similarities athletically. The question is does he reach that potential? Hard to say.

87Canes
01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I honestly think he'll fit better in a 4-3 defense with a Jim Johnson disciple running the defense. Fast slim DE's flying towards the QB...

brasho
01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Two DL guys I'm very weary of...Allen Bailey and Aldon Smith...Bailey because I think Cameron Jordan is the prospect everyone seems to think Bailey is...Smith because he came out as a junior with his stock at an all time high.

He's a very talented player...beyond that we'll have to see...Personally I hope he blows up at combine so that he helps the fall of Cameron Heyward to the Jets.

I think his stock was highest as a sophomore. He was hurt for most the season and the games he played in he wasn't 100% or even close.

Somebody made the comparison to JPP... not really.

Smith is a built a lot like Simeon Rice but his first name is NOT nearly as stupid.

The difference here is that unlike Simeon Rice, it is doubtful Smith could beat a fast NFL WR in a 100m race like Rice did to Isaac Bruce in the late 90's... but what Smith does have is still good speed and very strong and violent hands.

No, he doesn't always plays with great leverage or technique, but if he were to play in a system like Tampa, Chicago, or Indy where he is usually lined up wide of the LT he would be able to use his speed and athleticism to excel. Face up in a 5 tech even over the LT he would probably struggle quite a bit, but I recall in the Mizzou bowl game when Smith clubbed a face-up Iowa OLineman and knocked him over with one hand. That was impressive.

bucfan12
01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I think his stock was highest as a sophomore. He was hurt for most the season and the games he played in he wasn't 100% or even close.

Smith is a built a lot like Simeon Rice but his first name is NOT nearly as stupid.

The difference here is that unlike Simeon Rice, it is doubtful Smith could beat a fast NFL WR in a 100m race like Rice did to Isaac Bruce in the late 90's... but what Smith does have is still good speed and very strong and violent hands.

No, he doesn't always plays with great leverage or technique, but if he were to play in a system like Tampa, Chicago, or Indy where he is usually lined up wide of the LT he would be able to use his speed and athleticism to excel. Face up in a 5 tech even over the LT he would probably struggle quite a bit, but I recall in the Mizzou bowl game when Smith clubbed a face-up Iowa OLineman and knocked him over with one hand. That was impressive.

Agree Brasho. I see some similarities to Simeon as well, but I think Aldon is a better player against the run. The only down side on Smith is he's still a bit raw and I think he can add 10-12 Lbs without losing any of his explosiveness (i believe he's 255 right now). People forget that he came back too soon from a leg injury, but that shows heart and toughness (something Jay Cutler doesn't have) because he wants to be on the field.

I hope he's there at 20.

brasho
01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Agree Brasho. I see some similarities to Simeon as well, but I think Aldon is a better player against the run. The only down side on Smith is he's still a bit raw and I think he can add 10-12 Lbs without losing any of his explosiveness (i believe he's 255 right now). People forget that he came back too soon from a leg injury, but that shows heart and toughness (something Jay Cutler doesn't have) because he wants to be on the field.

I hope he's there at 20.

Oh yeah, assuming Robert Quinn is gone, Aldon Smith is my first choice, then Kerrigan... then at that point I wouldn't worry about RDE and go with BPA and go with Cameron Jordan to play LDE if he were there. If all of those guys are gone, I'd cry.. but then I would either consider trading down or hoping the Bucs have done their homework and they believe that Justin Houston can be a full-time RDE. And if he was gone, I would definitely cry.

bucfan12
01-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah, assuming Robert Quinn is gone, Aldon Smith is my first choice, then Kerrigan... then at that point I wouldn't worry about RDE and go with BPA and go with Cameron Jordan to play LDE if he were there. If all of those guys are gone, I'd cry.. but then I would either consider trading down or hoping the Bucs have done their homework and they believe that Justin Houston can be a full-time RDE. And if he was gone, I would definitely cry.

Yea agreed. Houston would be the ideal choice if all options are gone. But honestly, I think either Kerrigan or Smith will be there. If both or 1 are available at 15 or 16, I could see Dominik swinging a deal. According to pewterreport, the bucs really love Kerrigan.

ElectricEye
01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm optimistic, but cautious for sure. He's one of those long basketball athletes types who can be a nightmare on the field when everything is going well for him. Great size and strength too. I'm interested to see how he translates to the 3-4 with so many teams running it. Could be the guy the Patriots have been looking for if he proves he can play linebacker.

nepg
01-27-2011, 10:34 PM
I like him. He might turn out to be a better containment/run defender off the edge, but there's major potential. I can't see why anyone would be upset with their team drafting him. He's got lots of tools, and showed pretty good patience in the games I watched.

brasho
01-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Yea agreed. Houston would be the ideal choice if all options are gone. But honestly, I think either Kerrigan or Smith will be there. If both or 1 are available at 15 or 16, I could see Dominik swinging a deal. According to pewterreport, the bucs really love Kerrigan.

I really prefer that we DON'T have to make a deal. I read the pewterreport article... I'm not sure if that is the Bucs's agenda or the PR's. Either way I like really like him. According to somebody on here, the Bucs have reportedly had personal interviews with Jordan and Kerrigan as well as 4 other DEs at the Senior Bowl.

In all they have interviewed 6 DEs, 6 TEs (Gilmore is a free agent), 5 S's, 5 LBs (including Miller), 2 OGs, and 2 RBs. This is fairly predictable. I thought we would stand pat at WR, QB, CB, and OT and judging from the personal interviews I'm right thus far. I figure acquiring 2 DEs, 1 LB, 1 TE, 1 S, an interior OL, and backup RB are the priorities and it shouldn't be too hard to find guys that fit in with the schemes.

SenorGato
01-27-2011, 10:43 PM
The next Demarcus Ware.

That would be Robert Quinn, unless you took him off as the next and filed him under the first Robert Quinn instead.

Razor
01-28-2011, 04:23 AM
looks a lot like jason pierre paul

... except that JPP only started for half a season at USF while Smith has been dominating tackles for two seasons now (despite playing injured this year). Smith could be the best pass rusher out of this draft imo, he just needs a bit of time to develop his strength.

bullg8rdaddy
01-28-2011, 04:38 AM

This.

This.

And this.

I think that's his money move, because he was very effective when he did this against the Sooner OG and OT earlier this year. (first game back after fracturing ankle.)

KaneMarko
01-28-2011, 09:03 AM
He patterns his game after Derrick Thomas. Would make a great KC Chief if still there at 21.

brasho
01-28-2011, 09:10 AM
He patterns his game after Derrick Thomas. Would make a great KC Chief if still there at 21.

If he was taken at #21 that would mean the Bucs passed on him... that means the Bucs had better had gotten something great at #20. I'm guessing that out of Jordan, Kerrigan, and Smith, maybe one will be there.

irishbucsfan
01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Does anyone really think Aldon Smith is making it to 20 after the combine? How often do you see mega athletic 6'5 255lb DEs with no massive character concerns drop that far?

What I can say is that I'm coming around to the idea of getting a great LE at 20 for the bucs, and I think someone will be available. I also have a lot of confidence in Dominik and the FO - they like to hone in on someone they believe in and do it what it takes to get them without breaking the bank, ala trading up a couple spots for Freeman, and the same for Benn.

brasho
01-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Does anyone really think Aldon Smith is making it to 20 after the combine? How often do you see mega athletic 6'5 255lb DEs with no massive character concerns drop that far?

What I can say is that I'm coming around to the idea of getting a great LE at 20 for the bucs, and I think someone will be available. I also have a lot of confidence in Dominik and the FO - they like to hone in on someone they believe in and do it what it takes to get them without breaking the bank, ala trading up a couple spots for Freeman, and the same for Benn.

If Cameron Jordan were available I would be full go for him to come play LDE. Otherwise JJ Watt is a LDE type but I'm not sure if he is TOO king-sized to play in the T-2 style of upfield run and chase type D. Other than him, I'm really hating Allen Bailey until he goes to the combine and blows is it up and I forget how lousy he has looked all week (him and his ineffective bull rush after bull rush). I wouldn't be opposed to the Bucs trading down to round 2 and getting Christian Ballard.

brasho
01-28-2011, 10:00 AM

This is why Aldon Smith COULD make it to 20.

#1. He wasn't overly productive in only his second season as a starter (he was a redshirt sophomore this season)-the one year wonder question.

#2. There is an extreme plethora of DE's for 4-3 and rush OLBs in the 3-4 available that could go before Smith starting with.

Da'Quan Bowers-would play DE in any D
Robert Quinn-would play OLB in 3-4
Marcel Dareus-could play DE in 4-3
Von Miller-would be a rush OLB in 3-4
Ryan Kerrigan-would play OLB in 3-4
Cameron Jordan-would play DE in 4-3
Adrian Clayborn-would play DE in 4-3
Justin Houston-would play OLB in 3-4

Not saying all of these players would definitely go before him, but at least half of 8 likely will... and that would mean if Smith came off the board to the Bucs at #20, that other teams liked other guys better or firt their schemes better.

bucfan12
01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
This is why Aldon Smith COULD make it to 20.

#1. He wasn't overly productive in only his second season as a starter (he was a redshirt sophomore this season)-the one year wonder question.

#2. There is an extreme plethora of DE's for 4-3 and rush OLBs in the 3-4 available that could go before Smith starting with.

Da'Quan Bowers-would play DE in any D
Robert Quinn-would play OLB in 3-4
Marcel Dareus-could play DE in 4-3
Von Miller-would be a rush OLB in 3-4
Ryan Kerrigan-would play OLB in 3-4
Cameron Jordan-would play DE in 4-3
Adrian Clayborn-would play DE in 4-3
Justin Houston-would play OLB in 3-4

Not saying all of these players would definitely go before him, but at least half of 8 likely will... and that would mean if Smith came off the board to the Bucs at #20, that other teams liked other guys better or firt their schemes better.

Don't forget the situation of Aaron Maybin 2 years ago. He didn't have any character issues that anyone knew about either and was a raw RS Sophomore as well. Not Saying Aldon Smith is Aaron Maybin by no means, but he is a bit raw and needs to grow a bit.

I am just saying I can see teams passing on him due to that situation.

irishbucsfan
01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Don't forget the situation of Aaron Maybin 2 years ago. He didn't have any character issues that anyone knew about either and was a raw RS Sophomore as well. Not Saying Aldon Smith is Aaron Maybin by no means, but he is a bit raw and needs to grow a bit.

I am just saying I can see teams passing on him due to that situation.

Maybin was more raw than Smith, smaller, had a horrendous combine and still went almost ten picks before where we pick this year.

MI_Buckeye
01-28-2011, 10:34 PM

Not to get off topic, but I think everybody, has Jordan ahead of Bailey at this point in time.

MI_Buckeye
01-28-2011, 10:47 PM
As for Smith, I think he is more insticntive and plays better in space than he is given credit for. Watching him against the zone read game of Illinois, he seemed to know what he was doing, and in other tape, he does a good job of extending the outside run when he is left unblocked.

He is extremely explosive in getting to the passer, and when Missouri kicked him inside on passing downs, he overwhelmed slower-footed interrior linemen with little effort. That being said, I do have an issue with him in defending the run.

He is great in running and chasing, but he does not seem to have much interest in getting his nose bloody against the power run. If he gets drafted to play end in a 4-3, he is going to be a major liability in that area. That being said, I think he can play the run just fine standing up and can actually force lots of playside outside runs back in and pursue excellently from the backside.

Sorry for the talking head speak at the end. I truly believe he is the top pure 3-4 Rush backer in the draft, though I am starting to warm to Von Miller after watching Senior Bowl practices this week. I think it will be one of the more interesting position battles in the coming 12 weeks.

bigbuc
01-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Guys who keep saying Smith is JPP, are you saying is a knock on him? Cause JPP look very good for NY this year. 4.5 sacks took off after NY's bye week. Looks to be everything they wanted from him when they drafted him.

MI_Buckeye
01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Guys who keep saying Smith is JPP, are you saying is a knock on him? Cause JPP look very good for NY this year. 4.5 sacks took off after NY's bye week. Looks to be everything they wanted from him when they drafted him.

The comparisons to JPP are based on body type and athleticism. They are both raw. I think Smith has better insticts and plays with better positioning, while JPP has a better motor. If they were in the same draft, I would have JPP rated slightly higher.

RealityCheck
01-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Ole Miss fan, eh? Big thanks to your program for producing most dominating ILB in football.... Patrick has been one of the few reasons why I still watched Niner games these past few years...
Most dominating ILB in football, sure. In a world where Jerod Mayo doesn't exist, maybe.

Quailman
01-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Most dominating ILB in football, sure. In a world where Jerod Mayo doesn't exist, maybe.

Pardon me while I laugh in your face.

YoJoeBucsFan
01-29-2011, 08:06 AM
I really prefer that we DON'T have to make a deal. I read the pewterreport article... I'm not sure if that is the Bucs's agenda or the PR's. Either way I like really like him. According to somebody on here, the Bucs have reportedly had personal interviews with Jordan and Kerrigan as well as 4 other DEs at the Senior Bowl.

In all they have interviewed 6 DEs, 6 TEs (Gilmore is a free agent), 5 S's, 5 LBs (including Miller), 2 OGs, and 2 RBs. This is fairly predictable. I thought we would stand pat at WR, QB, CB, and OT and judging from the personal interviews I'm right thus far. I figure acquiring 2 DEs, 1 LB, 1 TE, 1 S, an interior OL, and backup RB are the priorities and it shouldn't be too hard to find guys that fit in with the schemes.

I hope we don't make any trades, we need to restock the shelves across the front 7 on D and the O-line on offense.

SimonRath
01-29-2011, 09:20 AM
http://missourisportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/aldon_smith-408x300.jpg

so epic.

brasho
01-29-2011, 09:48 AM
As for Smith, I think he is more insticntive and plays better in space than he is given credit for. Watching him against the zone read game of Illinois, he seemed to know what he was doing, and in other tape, he does a good job of extending the outside run when he is left unblocked.

He is extremely explosive in getting to the passer, and when Missouri kicked him inside on passing downs, he overwhelmed slower-footed interrior linemen with little effort. That being said, I do have an issue with him in defending the run.

He is great in running and chasing, but he does not seem to have much interest in getting his nose bloody against the power run. If he gets drafted to play end in a 4-3, he is going to be a major liability in that area. That being said, I think he can play the run just fine standing up and can actually force lots of playside outside runs back in and pursue excellently from the backside.

Sorry for the talking head speak at the end. I truly believe he is the top pure 3-4 Rush backer in the draft, though I am starting to warm to Von Miller after watching Senior Bowl practices this week. I think it will be one of the more interesting position battles in the coming 12 weeks.

In his bowl game I saw Smith really stick his head in there and try to get hits on the runner. His technique wasn't great, but he was basically submarining blockers and diving at RBs just trying to get a hat on them... generally speaking he was very successful in making a play or disrupting it.