PDA

View Full Version : Casey Matthews Overrated?

DBNYDP
01-27-2011, 08:43 PM
I really don't see what others see in this guy.
He isn't a physical specimen. He struggles to get off blocks. He isn't great in special teams. He isn't very good in coverage. There are several other LBs with his leadership skills (with better skills in these other areas). He isn't a sure tackler either.

It seems to me that the only thing he has on guys like Mason Foster is a name.

brat316
01-27-2011, 08:46 PM
pretty much. Everyone knows he is not his brother. Getting by on name, and just always going 110.

Halsey
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Some people on these boards said Clay Matthews Jr was an overrated walk-on who got by on his name.

prock
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Some people on these boards said Clay Matthews Jr was an overrated walk-on who got by on his name.

Which has literally nothing to do with Casey Matthews.

Halsey
01-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Which has literally nothing to do with Casey Matthews.

^ mad because he was probably one of the people who said that. :0

PossibleCabbage
01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
You draft him on the third day, and he probably makes the team as a special teamer. Maybe he blooms into a player, but probably not. That's about where I am on Casey Matthews.

Though I have to admit, it boiled my blood every time the NFLN coverage pointed out "Clay Matthews Sr."... the current Green Bay Packer OLB is the third Clay Matthews, his father is the second Clay Matthews (hence Jr.), his father (born in 1928) is Clay Matthews Sr. Why does everybody have so much trouble counting Matthews?

ElectricEye
01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
He'll be overdrafted a bit because of his bloodlines, but I really don't think he's overrated. Third or fourth round is about the right place for him. Limited player, but he can compile tackles by reading plays right. There's places for guys like that in the NFL.

Foster is on a completely different level than him. Agree with that.

brasho
01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't think he's necessarily overrated... I don't think many have him rated very highly. Obviously he isn't his brother.. though some are making the case that Brooks Reed might be. Casey and Clay play very different games and are physically different as well (you can tell big bro Clay would often steal Casey's food when he was growing up.. and his Flintstone's Chewables----the Hulkster made him do it).

Casey looks and plays like a 4th-5th round pick, he could go as high as round 4, he could go undrafted.

I don't think Kevin Matthews was overrated as an OC... was he even drafted last season? He made the Titans though, I think.

nepg
01-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I think he was underrated. Now he's about where he should be. He'll become a very good player in the NFL in some capacity.

bucfan12
01-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I think he is a special teams guy/backup. Nothing more.

whatadai
01-28-2011, 01:17 AM
It's the hair.

MrRedskins
01-28-2011, 01:46 AM
I love me some MATTHEWS!!! You can never have enough MATTHEWS at the party, baby!

He may not end up a star, but I think he will work his way into a starting lineup by the end of THIS season. Being Bloodlines' little bro is probably going to push him to max out earlier then he would if Clay was just an average joe...

Cicero
01-28-2011, 03:30 AM
People were saying he was a better prospect than Mason Foster so yes he was overrated.

prock
01-28-2011, 09:25 AM
^ mad because he was probably one of the people who said that. :0

I really don't know much about Casey Matthews besides what I have seen in the 2 or 3 Oregon games I have seen this year. I was just pointing it out.

brasho
01-28-2011, 10:13 AM

I wonder if it would damage the "poor little Clay Matthews walk-on to all-pro" story if people knew that he was an excellent high school player that had at least one offer for football but because his daddy played in the NFL and could afford sending his son to wherever he wanted to go so he chose USC?

Umoro
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
The difference between Clay and Casey is that Clay was actually considered a legit 1st round prospect after his last college season. At this point, I don't think there is a scout or analyst following the draft that would give Casey anything higher than a 3rd round grade.

nepg
01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
The difference between Clay and Casey is that Clay was actually considered a legit 1st round prospect after his last college season. At this point, I don't think there is a scout or analyst following the draft that would give Casey anything higher than a 3rd round grade.
No one's saying he's more than a 3rd round pick. And it wasn't until after the combine and Pro Day that people started seriously thinking of Clay as a first round prospect.

D-Unit
01-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Easy answer... because everyone in the world saw him punch out that fumble from Cam Newton's arms to help get the Ducks back in the game. If not for that, we don't even know his name.

Matthew Jones
01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Extremely overrated, but the bloodlines reach back much farther than Clay Matthews and you have to think this kid knows what it's going to take to succeed in the NFL. His support system gives him a big advantage over some other guys.

thegreatone
01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Hes being overrated by those who think he should be taken in the first 3 rounds, but hes being underrated by those who think he'll only be a ST player.

thegreatone
01-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Easy answer... because everyone in the world saw him punch out that fumble from Cam Newton's arms to help get the Ducks back in the game. If not for that, we don't even know his name.
Actually, even if it wasn't for that play, the hype was inevitable with his last name and hair.

nepg
01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
See...he's getting overhyped, not overrated. I don't see people talking about him as a first or second round pick. I just see people talking about him. Maybe he's getting overplayed in conversations, but I don't see him being overrated very much.

cajuncorey
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
i guaruntee he will be picked higher than the should just because how much he LOOKS like his brother

brasho
01-28-2011, 12:16 PM
i guaruntee he will be picked higher than the should just because how much he LOOKS like his brother

I have the same name as former NFL LB Brandon Short... and people I play football with call me "Alstott" because they think I'm built like him.. My head is shaved like Brian Urlacher, does that mean I should be drafted?

brasho
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM

Who is the famous guy that says that... "I gar-RUN-tee!"? That's this post reminds me of.

Anyway, based on this logic, I'd bet Cooper Manning finally gets to hear his name called this year for the draft because of his resemblence to brothers Peyton and Eli... and dad, Archie.

"With the 12th pick in the draft, the Minnesota Vikings draft...uhhhh...ummmm... Peyton and Eli's older brother, Cooper?"

Crickett
01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Who is the famous guy that says that... "I gar-RUN-tee!"? That's this post reminds me of.

Anyway, based on this logic, I'd bet Cooper Manning finally gets to hear his name called this year for the draft because of his resemblence to brothers Peyton and Eli... and dad, Archie.

"With the 12th pick in the draft, the Minnesota Vikings draft...uhhhh...ummmm... Peyton and Eli's older brother, Cooper?"

Yeah I know. I mean, when has any not particularly good football player been drafted way higher than he should have just because his brother was successful?? Lol, that never ha

http://media.silive.com/giants_impact/photo/ap-sinorice-moss-irjpg-1db9e3723d4a5fa6_large.jpg

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/cache/4cb/sinorice-moss-new-york-giants-reebok-eqt-blue-jersey_4cb0d1e24959bf99b05f894a4c91536d.jpg

Oh.

Right.

tjsunstein
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I like Casey Matthews as a special teamer and adequate back up. Packers should really take a look at him. We have a lot of money invested at the ILB position with decisions to be made. Barnett or Hawk could be out, Bishop taking that starting spot, therefore leaving depth to be had. We have bigger needs therefore bumping this priority down to the mid-late rounds where Matthews should be available. Our special teams could also use some intensity and Matthews provides that. And he'll be paired with big bro but that has little to do with it. I'd gladly take Foster over him, however, but he's more suited for a 4-3 team.

Babylon
01-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Depends whether you follow the Pac-10 or not. He played 4 years for the Zeros and i personally was sick of watching him every year against the locals.

He wont kill you if you have to play him and can probably fill in either inside or out. Special teams is where he'll earn his bones.

cajuncorey
01-28-2011, 11:41 PM

touche.....