PDA

View Full Version : Johanns Mock (#11)

johanns21
01-28-2011, 02:32 PM
1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley DT Auburn
With the recent hiring of Ron Rivera as their new head coach and Andrew Luck not declaring for the draft it looks like this pick will be a defensive player. It comes down to either Fairley or DaQuan Bowers. Bowers might be the better rated prospect, but Fairley fits a bigger need at defensive tackle and his performance in the National Title game doesnít hurt him. The Panthers are hoping that Fairley next to Charles Johnson and their young defensive ends will have the same impact that Suh had to the Lions.

2. Denver Broncos: DaQuan Bowers DE Clemson
This pick comes down to Bowers and Peterson. Peterson is dynamic player and fits a need, but I think they go with Bowers. The Broncos are better off at corner than they are at defensive end. Plus they can find a quality corner in the second or third more than you can a defensive end. Right now the projected starters are Robert Ayers and Elvis Dummerville. However Ayers hasn't done anything and Elvis Dummerville is coming off an injury that put him out the entire year. There are more questions about defensive end than cornerback.

3. Buffalo Bills: Robert Quinn DE North Carolina
When Buffalo moved to the 3-4 many thought that Aaron Maybin would benefit. However he hasnít been as effective and was even inactive for a few games. The Bills need to add a pass rusher. Robert Quinn was thought to be a contender for the #1 overall pick, but with him missing the entire season because of NCAA violations. However Quinn still has a ton of talent and should be a lock to go in the 3-6 range.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: AJ Green WR Georgia
Even if DaQuan Bowers was available I still think the Bengals would go with AJ Green here. Carson Palmer wants out and the team wants to keep him. Look for the Bengals to show a commitment to Palmer and a good way to doing that is to draft a new #1 receiver to replace Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens. Green is arguably the best receiver prospect to come out since Calvin Johnson. Green would fit well with the Bengals and slide Jerome Simpson to the #2 spot and Shipley and Caldwell into the slot.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Patrick Peterson CB LSU
Arizona would love to get Robert Quinn to give them a pass rusher at outside linebacker where their two starters only had 10 sacks combined. They could go after Von Miller who could give them that Karlos Dansby type of player, but this could be too early for him, plus it would be hard to pass up the talented Patrick Peterson. Peterson is a dynamic defensive back that has the tools to be a shut down corner. Peterson could come in opposite of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and move Greg Toler to the nickel back spot.

6. Cleveland Browns: Marcel Dareus DE Alabama
This is worst case scenario for the Browns. Defensive end like Bowers or Robert Quinn would be ideal here, but they are both gone. But even though the Browns are moving to the 4-3 they could use help at defensive tackle. Dareus is a dynamic tackle that can fit any scheme.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Von Miller LB Texas A&M
The 49ers could use some help at rush linebacker. Manny Lawson is good, but not elite and he is a free agent this offseason. Ahmad Brooks has had some good success, but isnít very consistent. Von Miller might be the best pass rusher in the draft and has been tearing it up at the Senior Bowl. Miller has a lot of position flexibility and the 49ers could use him all over the linebacking core. He can line up at rush linebacker or inside linebacker next to Patrick Willis.

8. Tennessee Titans: Blaine Gabbart QB Missouri
With Vince Young gone next year itís important that the Titans identify a new franchise quarterback. Blaine Gabbart is the top overall quarterback in this class and the Titans may feel that he is their guy. Gabbart can come in and challenge Kerry Collins and Rusty Smith. If Gabbart is ready he could start the year or he could sit behind Collins or Smith developing before taking over next year or at mid season.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
The Dallas Cowboys have some big holes on their roster. One of the biggest holes in the secondary. Terrence Newman has had a good career, but he is on the decline. Mike Jenkins has potential, but he really struggled this past season. Prince Amukamara would be a great addition and should start from day 1..

10. Washington Redskins: Cam Newton QB Auburn
Cameron Jordan would make a ton of sense here, but Washington needs a new quarterback even more. The Heisman Trophy winner is still raw as a pro style quarterback, but he is a good leader, mobile, and has a cannon for an arm. He compares a lot to Vince Young and Tim Tebow, but is more advanced as a NFL quarterback than both of them. Mike Shanahan loves mobile quarterbacks with strong arms, so this should be a good fit for both.

11. Houston Texans: Aldon Smith DE Missouri
The Texans need help in their secondary but there is nobody that is worth this pick. Look for the Texans to find pieces to their newly 3-4 defense. One big piece that they need is the rush linebacker spot. Aldon Smith is a very athletic defensive end that should make an easy transition to the rush linebacker position. In limited opportunities in college Smith has shown the ability to drop into coverage and be effective.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
Head Coach Leslie Frazier is on the record of saying that he wants to find the next Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. Mallett has all the physical tools to be a franchise quarterback, but he needs to do a better job making reads and not throwing bone headed interceptions. If the Vikings are to take Mallett they would be wise to bring in a veteran quarterback to be a stop gap or to mentor Mallett.

13. Detroit Lions: Nate Solder OT Colorado
I've had Akeem Ayers going to the Lions here for a while and he could very well still be the pick. However the Lions need to improve their offensive line and the way Nate Solder has been playing at the Senior Bowl practices he looks to be a top 15 pick. Iíve always thought Solder was a top 15 pick, and now he is starting to show it off against some very quality competition. Solder could come in and push Jeff Backus to RT or a guard spot. The Lions do have Jason Fox who they really like, but he if he continues to develop he might be their future RT option.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones WR Alabama
I donít know if this pick needs a lot of explaining. The Rams and Sam Bradford need a #1 receiver. Julio is a big physical wide receiver who is a big play receiver. This seems like a slam dunk pick.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mike Pouncey G/C Florida
I've had Mark Ingram going to the Dolphins probably since the middle of last summer. Now I still think it could happen, but with the running back position not being that big of a need I could see them going another direction and get a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round. The Dolphins would love to get Mike Pouncey who could step in right away and take over one of the guard spots day 1.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
Jacksonville has needed some help at defensive end for years and all their moved they seem to make havenít really panned out. Here they get Ryan Kerrigan who had a great year on a rather weak Purdue team. Kerrigan has good pass rushing skills and the speed and quickness to turn the corner. He has a non stop motor that teams will love.

17. New England Patriots (From Oakland): Akeem Ayers LB UCLA
The Patriots love players that are versatile and Ayers fits that perfectly. Ayers showed in college that can rush the passer, blitz, and drop into coverage. Ayers can provide them some help at outside linebacker and could play inside linebacker too, especially on passing downs for Brandon Spikes.

18. San Diego Chargers: Cameron Jordan DE California
San Diego needs some help along their defensive line and Jordanís strength, size, and experience in the 3-4 would be a great fit. Jordan is tearing up the Senior Bowl and very well could go higher, so this would be a steal none the less.

19. New York Giants: Tyron Smith OT USC
The New York Giants offensive line is getting older and is in need of finding younger replacement parts. William Beatty was drafted a couple of years ago to be their future left tackle, but has done nothing to show that he is ready to be the future blindside protector of Eli Manning. Tyron Smith has been flying up draft boards and would give the Giants a future left tackle.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
Now that Tampa Bay has moved back to the Cover 2 defense that they made their mark with, they have to get some defensive ends to fit their scheme. Adrian Clayborn didnít have the season that many thought that he would have, but a big part of that had to deal with him getting more attention from the offense. However he still has some work to do, but he is still a dynamic pass rusher and would be a good fit.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Jonathan Baldwin WR Pittsburgh
A rush linebacker would be a great pickup here for the Cheifs, but Iím not sold on Justin Houston here and there really isnít anybody else at that position worth this pick. One position that they could really use some help at is wide receiver. Dwayne Bowe is a very good receiver, but there isnít much help opposite of him. Baldwin is still a little raw, but he is a great deep threat and is the best receiver at tracking the deep balls and going up and getting the ball when itís in the air. Baldwin can come in and stretch the field while Bowe and Dexter McCluster work the middle and underneath routes.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State
Indianapolis has been in the process of transitioning from a zone blocking scheme to a power man blocking scheme. Add in that and the fact that the line has under performed and that should mean that they will target a tackle here. Sherrod has some question marks about him, but he still is one of the best tackles in the draft and would be a good fit with what the Colts want to do. However the Colts first round picks are often hard to predict, so they could go in another direction.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
Cornerback is a big need for the Eagles but look for them to target another position. We all know that Andy Reid loves to draft lineman in the early rounds and with the problems they have had at tackle this year he could go in that direction again. Carimi is a very talented lineman who has the potential to develop into a solid left tackle. But more than likely Carimi will stay on the right side where he could be elite.

24. New Orleans Saints: Justin Houston LB Georgia
The Saints could very well go defensive tackle like Stephen Paea or Drake Nevis but don't be surprised to see them take the opportunity to find a way to upgrade their linebacking core. Houston should fit well as a strongside linebacker in their 4-3 defense. The Saints love to play an aggressive defense that asks their linebackers to blitz. That should fit Houston's skills well.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker QB Washington
If Jake Locker would have declared after his junior year he had a great shot of being the #1 overall pick. However Locker returned to school and had a bad year. As a result his stock is sliding. But this could be a good thing. Locker Is still very raw, but he has a ton of potential. This slide is going to allow him to go to a better team where he can sit for a year or two and develop his skills. If Locker would have been the Rams pick he would have failed and he might have suffered the same fait as a David Carr, Tim Couch, or Akili Smith. In this scenario Locker would be able to sit behind Matt Hasselbeck and learn under him for at least one year. If he is ready he could start the next year. If not the Seahawks have Charlie Whithurst would start that year.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
Baltimore could go with a cornerback here, but donít we think that every year and they pass up the position. They could go with a rush linebacker here, but with Miller long gone, Aldon Smith gone, and Justin Houston gone they will probably have to wait till the 2nd or 3rd. That leaves the 5 technique defensive end in their 3-4 defense. Corey Redding has been alright, but not great. Add in that he is getting older and it might be wise to target a younger player. Cameron Heyward had a ton of hype coming into his senior season and wasnít the dominant player we all thought he would be. However with his size and skill set he should be a perfect 5 technique defensive end.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith WR Maryland
The Falcons are a team that doesnít have many big areas of need. But one of them would be to find another receiver to help take the load off of Roddy White. Torrey Smith has good size and ability. He could come in and compete with Michael Jenkins at the #2 spot and the Falcons would hope Smith would give them more consistency than Jenkins has.

28. New England Patriots: JJ Watt DE Wisconsin
New England has had issues at their defensive end spot ever since they traded away Richard Seymour. Many thought they would target somebody last year early, but they didnít. With six picks in the first three rounds look for them to find some young talent to be their future. JJ Watt enjoyed a breakout season this year for Wisconsin. With his size and strength Watt would be a good fit for the 5 technique spot.

29. Chicago Bears: Anthony Castanzo OT Boston College
Say what you want about the Jay Cutler situation, but the fact is that the Bears have to upgrade their offensive line at multiple spots. In my opinion they need to get at least two tackles and a guard. Maybe more. Castanzo still has some work to do, but he has good footwork and should be able to play the left tackle spot. Castanzo can come in and compete with Frank Omiyale and Chris Williams for the left tackle spot. If Castanzo, Carimi, Sherrod, or Tyron Smith arenít available they could go with Stefen Wisniewski or maybe a receiver.

30. New York Jets: Rahim Moore S UCLA
When Jim Leonard went down with an injury the Jets were not as good of a defense as they were before. Rahim Moore is the best safety in this draft. He doesnít offer much in run support, but he is a very good coverage safety and would do a great job manning the centerfield and matching up in man to man situations.

31. Green Bay Packers: Stefen Wisniewski G Penn State
Green Bay has struggled to run the ball this season and all the blame canít be placed on the running backs. The interior of their offensive line could use some help. Stefen Wisniewski is a talented player who can play in any blocking scheme and can play both center and guard. His skills and position flexibility will come in handy for the Packers.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Corey Liuget DT Illinois
An offensive lineman would really be nice here, but with the top two guards gone and the top four offensive tackles gone theyíll have to wait till the later rounds. If they canít go o-line, look for them to look at some of the talented 5 technique defensive ends in the draft.

killxswitch
01-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I like your mocks, you always have reasons even if I don't agree with them.

I like Carimi more than Sherrod so it would be bittersweet if we had the opportunity to draft him and passed. But I like Sherrod as the 2nd best OT in the draft so it would be ok. I just like Carimi's skillset and attitude more.

johanns21
01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I like your mocks, you always have reasons even if I don't agree with them.

I like Carimi more than Sherrod so it would be bittersweet if we had the opportunity to draft him and passed. But I like Sherrod as the 2nd best OT in the draft so it would be ok. I just like Carimi's skillset and attitude more.

Yeah I'm thinking Carimi will soon be passing up Sherrod. Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see Castanzo go before him too.

vidae
01-28-2011, 02:50 PM
I can't be angry at the KC pick but I'd still prefer Houston. Good job, always enjoy your mocks.

prock
01-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Not a huge Mallet fan but I can dig it.

Master Exploder
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I still don't understand how Mike Pouncey is a 1st round talent, let alone top 15 talent.

killxswitch
01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I still don't understand how Mike Pouncey is a 1st round talent, let alone top 15 talent.

A bad year snapping the ball doesn't mean he isn't going to be a great guard in the NFL.

DiG
01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
i agree cam jordan would be sweet for the skins but cam newton would be cool too if shanahan decides hes our guy.

akvikefan89
01-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I am fine with Mallett.

49erNation85
01-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Horrible pick and way to high on Miller IMO . rather have a DE , DT or QB there.But nice try .

coordinator0
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
That's not my favorite position for the Ravens to be in. The more I think about it the more I believe that Heyward isn't what we need at DE, either in our 3 or 4 man lines. We need somebody similar to what Trevor Prcye was for us. We already have Ngata as the two-gap 5-technique, and Cody will be our NT and he's going to take up two gaps (at least ;)). What we're missing is somebody that can get to the QB from that position. Ngata can get to the QB, but he's pretty inconsistent at it and he's going to see a double team on virtually every play anyways.

Heyward is definitely the value pick that Ozzie likes, but I just don't think he improves the defense much. J.J. Watt might be a better fit but I don't think he would be too much of an upgrade either. With who's left on the board I think I'd prefer Jimmy Smith, who's value should be right around there and is the perfect compliment to what we already have at corner. Titus Young would also be a good pick there, assuming his stock continues to rise.

Good work overall, your mocks seem to be well-constructed.

thebow305
01-28-2011, 05:16 PM
The only way I would want Pouncey if there was a trade down, but at 15, that's way too high IMO. And how is RB not that big a need when, more than likely, we will be going into the draft with none under contract at all!? Seems like it's kind of a big need.

Pat Sims 90
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Love AJ Green to the Bengals

Master Exploder
01-28-2011, 05:59 PM
A bad year snapping the ball doesn't mean he isn't going to be a great guard in the NFL.

Oh, I wasn't even considering him as an option at Center. Believe me, I'm well aware that he's going to be a Guard in this league.