PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft: Is the Proccess Too Long?

bucfan12
01-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I just want to get some opinions of some of the people on this forum. I was thinking, is the process leading up to the draft too long? I mean, I understand the combine is very important, but why do we have to wait almost a month after the Senior Bowl? Pro Days don't have to take almost two months and the draft being on the last weekend of April is really a stretch.

Don't you think if the NFL Draft is held in late March or early April could benefit some rookies in being able to participate in OTAs instead of being behind?

Mr. Goosemahn
01-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I just want to get some opinions of some of the people on this forum. I was thinking, is the process leading up to the draft too long? I mean, I understand the combine is very important, but why do we have to wait almost a month after the Senior Bowl? Pro Days don't have to take almost two months and the draft being on the last weekend of April is really a stretch.

Don't you think if the NFL Draft is held in late March or early April could benefit some rookies in being able to participate in OTAs instead of being behind?

I think it's to give all teams a reasonable amount of time to focus on it. Teams participating in the Superbowl have about a month less to focus on the draft and whatnot.

Also, free agency has to happen before the draft, and there needs to be a good amount of time for that too. Resigning your own free agents and other free agents can be time-consuming processes.

I don't think rookies would really benefit from those OTA's that much, rookie camp takes care of it. And there are plenty other OTA's for them to take advantage of.

Babylon
01-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Decades ago the draft was held in late february, of course then teams would just bring the latest copy of Street and Smiths magazine and go from there, things have obviously changed. I dont think the league wants to be in your living room for 12 months a year but probably 9 or 10 months at least.

Pro days sort of dont make it for me, they're too scripted and teams can have guys in anyways. It's almost like let someone do something as many times as it takes to get it right and then say "see i told you he was good".

bullg8rdaddy
01-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Would like that. I'm very impatient when it comes to draft day.

Super Bowl is over first Sunday of February. Senior Bowl the day prior.

Start Free Agency earlier (Monday after Super Bowl).

Have the combine (first weekend in March).

Have the draft at the end of March. (Pro Days are a waste, IMO)

Is this unrealistic?

Iamcanadian
01-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I think it is just about right, the Combine and pro days provide time for players to recover from injuries and assures more players an opportunity to show their wares.
If the Combine and pro days had to be completed for an early Feb. draft, a lot of players would still be recovering from their college season and teams would have far less ability to judge the talent. Most teams don't spend a whole lot of time on the draft until their playing season is over where their best scouts are busy scouting their next opponent. They need the post season to really assess talent especially after the junior declare.

PossibleCabbage
01-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Personally, I think it's important that the draft is held at such a time that the all-star games, the combine, and college pro days are held before it.

The all-star games are important since it allows teams to see first hand how players take to coaching and it allows guys from less successful programs or who didn't play that much a stage on which to shine.

The combine is obviously important, if for no other reason than the physical and the interviews.

Pro days are important because not every worthy player is invited to the combine. For example, Green Bay's rookie nickel back Sam Shields was not invited to the combine last year, but his 4.28 40 at his pro day certainly helped him hook on with an NFL team. Since there are 256 players drafted every year, it's going to be a logistics nightmare if you tried to get everybody who's going to get drafted or sign as a rookie undrafted free agent at the combine. Simpler to just invite whoever they invite now, and just give the guys who are passed up an opportunity to shine. Also, the pro day allows a chance at redemption for guys who have a bad combine for whatever reason.

As long as you get all those things in, you can have the draft whenever. If I had to do away with one of the three, I would probably eliminate the college all-star games, which would be too bad since that's actually part of the process that's the most fun for fans (including myself).

bucfan12
01-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Personally, I think it's important that the draft is held at such a time that the all-star games, the combine, and college pro days are held before it.

The all-star games are important since it allows teams to see first hand how players take to coaching and it allows guys from less successful programs or who didn't play that much a stage on which to shine.

The combine is obviously important, if for no other reason than the physical and the interviews.

Pro days are important because not every worthy player is invited to the combine. For example, Green Bay's rookie nickel back Sam Shields was not invited to the combine last year, but his 4.28 40 at his pro day certainly helped him hook on with an NFL team. Since there are 256 players drafted every year, it's going to be a logistics nightmare if you tried to get everybody who's going to get drafted or sign as a rookie undrafted free agent at the combine. Simpler to just invite whoever they invite now, and just give the guys who are passed up an opportunity to shine. Also, the pro day allows a chance at redemption for guys who have a bad combine for whatever reason.

As long as you get all those things in, you can have the draft whenever. If I had to do away with one of the three, I would probably eliminate the college all-star games, which would be too bad since that's actually part of the process that's the most fun for fans (including myself).

I understand the importance of Pro Days, but do they have to run through March and April? I think thats way too long.

PossibleCabbage
01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
I understand the importance of Pro Days, but do they have to run through March and April? I think thats way too long.

I'm thinking that they string out the process because not all schools have indoor facilities that are appropriate for holding a pro day, and in many parts of the country March is still winter.

If they moved up the draft, everybody would make do though.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Pro Days are there for injured players who can't participate in the combine to get a chance to demonstrate their skills.

wordofi
01-29-2011, 06:24 PM
The draft process is too long, and it's that way on purpose. Think about it. The longer the span between the end of the regular season and the draft, the more build-up and anticipation as well as more media coverage. The NFL knows this, and they have capitalized on it. Essentially, it's marketing (very good marketing I might add).

Hurricanes25
01-29-2011, 06:47 PM
It may seem long to us because we all love the draft. We probably all wish that it was tomorrow.

But the teams need all the time they could get. With the millions of dollars the teams drop on these players, they need as much 'scouting" time as they can get.

87Canes
01-29-2011, 06:49 PM
It's just as long as any other off-season. If I was an owner paying people millions of dollars, I'd like to have some time to research everything about them.

It's the best part of the season for draft junkies like me.

SenorGato
01-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Decades ago the draft was held in late february, of course then teams would just bring the latest copy of Street and Smiths magazine and go from there, things have obviously changed. I dont think the league wants to be in your living room for 12 months a year but probably 9 or 10 months at least.

Pro days sort of dont make it for me, they're too scripted and teams can have guys in anyways. It's almost like let someone do something as many times as it takes to get it right and then say "see i told you he was good".

Only to be friendly with baseball, who bit the steroids bullet for all the major sports here...I'd love to see the day where the NFL gets taken to the Supreme f'n Court about a steroid/PED issue.

Halsey
01-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, the NFL should change the Draft process because fans get bored and impatient in the off-season...

Sidney
01-30-2011, 07:58 AM
The amazing thing is for all the time and effort poured into the draft now I'm not sure the results are notably better than when guys showed up with Street and Smith's.

What they should do is pull it back some to eliminate the time for private workouts.

Brent
01-30-2011, 08:03 AM
people would ***** about change like they did with the season length

Day One Pick
01-30-2011, 08:18 AM
The draft isn't something that happens to appease the fans. It's something to help each team improve their roster. The process takes so long because the evaluation of thousands and thousands of college football players takes an aweful long time. It's not until after the Super Bowl that all 32 teams can fully begin the evaluation process. Scouts scout all season long, but coaching staffs and GM's make the decisions on draft day. These people only have a short time in reality to make a lot of things happen. The free agency process has to begin prior to the draft. In reality, there's not much reason to add new players to a team prior to OTA's.

Brothgar
01-30-2011, 08:28 AM
I think people are forgetting what prospects are doing in between senior bowl and combine and combine and pro days. They are working their butts off getting themselves in peek condition and working on mechanics. Pro days are needed as well while the pro scouting combine is a great evaluation tool some players don't get invited to the combine and need somewhere to show their physical attributes. Also if a player is injured for the combine the pro day is a way for prospects can make up for that.

evenar
01-30-2011, 02:07 PM
I think the fans would like the draft in late march instead of late April. That way, you would have action in the NFL almost every week from preseason week one, to the playoffs, through senior bowl and super bowl weeks. Then along comes the combine, free agency and the actual draft, followed by a break before the preseason (I don't get into fantasy football before that.)

However, I'm sure the teams need all the time they could get before the draft, and the rookies could need all the time they can get between the draft and training camp. For me, its not really a big deal, as I kinda forget about the NFL after free agency, (except for the occasional QB that has to throw on his pro day) and follow the soccer season here in Europe and the NHL.
Then it is suddenly draft week, and I follow the build up and the analysis of the draft, before I forget about it all until preseason.

SimonRath
01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
lets just make it a couple days after the super bowl like the WNBA does with womens college basketball. ;)

nepg
01-30-2011, 02:48 PM
I think it's only as long as it has to be. As others have said, they kind of get to it as soon as they can once other business is taken care of. Moving the Pro Bowl to this weekend should really help the off-season move along at a quicker pace.

nepg
01-30-2011, 02:49 PM
lets just make it a couple days after the super bowl like the WNBA does with womens college basketball. ;)
Or the middle of the season a la the MLB draft.

SimonRath
01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Or the middle of the season a la the MLB draft.

that would give the teams some fresh legs. great idea!

PossibleCabbage
01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
that would give the teams some fresh legs. great idea!

And it would provide an outlet for those guys hoping to get rid of their eligibility in the middle of the college football season!

SimonRath
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
And it would provide an outlet for those guys hoping to get rid of their eligibility in the middle of the college football season!

dude. you are a genius.