PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl First Round Draft Picks

whatadai
01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Since the average is around 10 players selected in the first round who played in the senior bowl each year...who do you think the 10 will be this year?

Master Exploder
01-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Von Miller, Anthony Costanzo, Gabe Carimi, Jake Locker, Cameron Jordan, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Heyward, Stephen Paea, Nate Solder, Derrek Sherrod.

I think a few of them are pushes, but that's the 10 that I would bet on.

PossibleCabbage
01-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Since the average is around 10 players selected in the first round who played in the senior bowl each year...who do you think the 10 will be this year?

Von Miller
Ryan Kerrigan
Cam Jordan
Nate Solder
Anthony Castonzo
Jake Locker
Derrick Sherrod

If I can count guys who were invited/practiced and didn't play due to injury
Gabe Carimi
Stephen Paea

That's nine. Maybe somebody like Ballard could sneak into the first.

onejayhawk
01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Phil Taylor?

J

Babylon
01-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Phil Taylor?

J

I'd definitely take Taylor over Ballard, who despite one play that i saw was non existant.

SenorGato
01-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Jordan
Costanzo
Sherrod
Heyward
Miller
Ballard/Taylor
Solder - Not sure he came out looking good, but will go before Camiri because of his upside as a pass protector, and that's a maybe.
Camiri
Young - Has a shot to be the 3rd WR off the board now.

I reeeeeeeally am hoping that Ballard or Heyward are there at 30...or a trade up .

onejayhawk
01-29-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd definitely take Taylor over Ballard, who despite one play that i saw was non existant.

My impression was that Taylor absolutely owned his turf all week. Ballard made no major impression either way.

Since Taylor is made to order for NT, I can see several teams in the teens and 20s going for him. Also, Taylor weighed in as the largest man in Mobile, which prompted remark, by our host, about how well he carried the size.

Yet Kirwin did not mention him among his 10 players who helped their position. Does this say more about Taylor, or about Kirwin?

J

proshoota25
01-29-2011, 09:02 PM
i wouldnt be surprised if hankerson sneaks in at the end of the first round.....

Forenci
01-29-2011, 09:04 PM
My impression was that Taylor absolutely owned his turf all week. Ballard made no major impression either way.

Since Taylor is made to order for NT, I can see several teams in the teens and 20s going for him. Also, Taylor weighed in as the largest man in Mobile, which prompted remark, by our host, about how well he carried the size.

Yet Kirwin did not mention him among his 10 players who helped their position. Does this say more about Taylor, or about Kirwin?

J

After a rough start Ballard really looked great in the practices.

keylime_5
01-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Jordan
Miller
Castonzo
Carimi
Solder
Sherrod
Locker
Kerrigan
Ballard
and maybe Titus Young

not counting Paea or Heyward since they didn't participate

ElectricEye
01-29-2011, 09:05 PM
One name no one has mentioned in Brooks Reed. Some team is going to fall in love with the athleticism, upside, and tenacity he brings to the table. With a good combine and a clean bill of health I wouldn't even doubt it really.

keylime_5
01-29-2011, 09:06 PM
i wouldnt be surprised if hankerson sneaks in at the end of the first round.....

maybe if he runs a great 40 time at the combine.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Perhaps Ponder sneaks into round 1. I think Locker now goes round 2.

keylime_5
01-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Ponder won't sniff round one. He wasn't that good this week.

ElectricEye
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, Ponder had an up and down week but was impressive in the end. Still, 1st round is waay too high.

proshoota25
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
One name no one has mentioned in Brooks Reed. Some team is going to fall in love with the athleticism, upside, and tenacity he brings to the table. With a good combine and a clean bill of health I wouldn't even doubt it really.

your obsessed with the guy lol

ElectricEye
01-29-2011, 09:25 PM
your obsessed with the guy lol

Have been for awhile. I really like the intensity and athleticism he plays with. The results are manifesting themselves on the field too. Perfect 3-4 OLB conversion prospect. Should be a completely clean transition.

descendency
01-29-2011, 10:29 PM
If Ballard goes in the first, I will cry. That kid is explosive 2-3 plays a game and then disappears.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Nobody is taking Ponder round 1. Doubtful on rounds 2 or 3 either

Guys that make late rises at the QB position have big arms. The only guy that isn't already a 1st rounder that fits that bill is Kaepernick and I don't see that happening either

SenorGato
01-29-2011, 11:34 PM

Top 40 but after 32 unless he runs a 4.5 at the combine...maybe 4.6.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 03:35 PM
The most impressive player on the field at the Senior Bowl was OT James Carpenter from Alabama. He dominated all week and simply owned Ryan Kerrigan in the game.

I was more impressed with him then Solder or Costanzo.

AntoinCD
01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
After the obvious ones like Miller, Kerrigan, Jordan, Solder etc I see a few potential guys who could sneak in. Leonard Hankerson has so much potential to be a very good WR and could get in, Ballard if he could be most consistent and play with more fire would be a great player, Phil Taylor could get in based on need as well.

That being said, a few guys like Derrick Sherrod and Demarcus Love, who were previously touted as possible first rounders may have fallen

brasho
01-30-2011, 05:39 PM

I wouldn't be too upset if the Bucs traded back from #20 into the later part of round 1 and took Reed. I like Kerrigan, I like Aldon Smith, but I don't put Reed too far behind them... I'm just concerned with his so-so production at Arizona. Does anybody know why he didn't rack up the stats in college? He had an 8 sack season as a sophomore then played in nearly every game the next season and ahd something like 14 tackles and 2 sacks... what gives. This past season he had 6.5 sacks while his less heralded teammate Elmore had two straight double digit sack seasons.

Still, this past season he was more productive than Clay Matthews ever was in college. I think people forget that, Clay Matthews was no sack artist in college. The guy had 5.5 sacks his entire college career.

brasho
01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Top 40 but after 32 unless he runs a 4.5 at the combine...maybe 4.6.

Matthews ran 4.67 at 240 lbs. I think 4.6 range with Reed being nearly 260 would blow Matthews out of the water.

PossibleCabbage
01-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Matthews ran 4.67 at 240 lbs. I think 4.6 range with Reed being nearly 260 would blow Matthews out of the water.

Matthews' 40 time wasn't what got him drafted. It was his jaw-dropping 1.49 second 10-yard split, which was impressively faster than any other 10-yard time put up by the other pass rushers that year (Maybin was second with 1.55, Barwin 1.57, Brown 1.58, Sintim 1.59 etc.).

Your 10-yard time is definitely more important than your 40-yard time for LBs and especially for pass rushers since explosiveness is more important for getting after the QB than long speed.

LizardState
01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
The most impressive player on the field at the Senior Bowl was OT James Carpenter from Alabama. He dominated all week and simply owned Ryan Kerrigan in the game.

I was more impressed with him then Solder or Costanzo.

Among these more or less 10 listed I think Costanzo could drop out of the 1st rd. & maybe Solder if he doesnt shake the image of a project w/ a wow Combine. James Carpenter's stock rose pretty well this wk, could penetrate the late 1st rd. as Chicago is looking for OL help.

ElectricEye
01-30-2011, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't be too upset if the Bucs traded back from #20 into the later part of round 1 and took Reed. I like Kerrigan, I like Aldon Smith, but I don't put Reed too far behind them... I'm just concerned with his so-so production at Arizona. Does anybody know why he didn't rack up the stats in college? He had an 8 sack season as a sophomore then played in nearly every game the next season and ahd something like 14 tackles and 2 sacks... what gives. This past season he had 6.5 sacks while his less heralded teammate Elmore had two straight double digit sack seasons.

Still, this past season he was more productive than Clay Matthews ever was in college. I think people forget that, Clay Matthews was no sack artist in college. The guy had 5.5 sacks his entire college career.

Ankle issues and a back problem. When he was healthy, he was a terror. He also played on a very good defensive line and had guys like Elmore and Justin Washington who sort of gobbled up some of those numbers.

I wouldn't take him in a 4-3 front though. I think his repetition of moves is too limited and takes away from his ability to explode that will get him drafted high.

brasho
01-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Ankle issues and a back problem. When he was healthy, he was a terror. He also played on a very good defensive line and had guys like Elmore and Justin Washington who sort of gobbled up some of those numbers.

I wouldn't take him in a 4-3 front though. I think his repetition of moves is too limited and takes away from his ability to explode that will get him drafted high.

Bucs interviewed him during the week, I doubt they would want to switch him to LB.

What is the scoop on Ricky Elmore?

Iamcanadian
01-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Matthews' 40 time wasn't what got him drafted. It was his jaw-dropping 1.49 second 10-yard split, which was impressively faster than any other 10-yard time put up by the other pass rushers that year (Maybin was second with 1.55, Barwin 1.57, Brown 1.58, Sintim 1.59 etc.).

Your 10-yard time is definitely more important than your 40-yard time for LBs and especially for pass rushers since explosiveness is more important for getting after the QB than long speed.

I agree that his 10 yard time was impressive and got him moved up but since when is a 40 yard time not show explosiveness. In track 50 yard runners must be explosive to compete. Generally a great 40 time shows explosiveness, the 10 yard time demonstrates how explosive you are immediately.