PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Smith, CB Colorado

bigbuc
01-30-2011, 12:36 AM
What do you guys think of him? 6 foot 2 205 is a big CB. Espn Scouts Inc now has him 12 on there top 32. I don't know anything about him at all. Hook me up with the scoop!

87Canes
01-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Poor mans Charles Woodson

Takes a lot of gambles, very athletic but LAZY. Has terrible technique because he looks like he doesn't even want to be on the field.

If a DB coach can get him to straighten up, he'll be a late round steal.

Mr. Goosemahn
01-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Poor mans Charles Woodson

Takes a lot of gambles, very athletic but LAZY. Has terrible technique because he looks like he doesn't even want to be on the field.

If a DB coach can get him to straighten up, he'll be a late round steal.

??

He'll probably go early to mid second, no way he falls down to the late rounds.

87Canes
01-30-2011, 12:49 AM
??

He'll probably go early to mid second, no way he falls down to the late rounds.

3rd round pick - Late round to me is anything after 2 but I agree he could sneak up into rd 2.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-30-2011, 12:50 AM
What do you guys think of him? 6 foot 2 205 is a big CB. Espn Scouts Inc now has him 12 on there top 32. I don't know anything about him at all. Hook me up with the scoop!

not surprised. will not be surprised when he goes that high, either

87Canes
01-30-2011, 01:01 AM
not surprised. will not be surprised when he goes that high, either

No way he goes in the top 20

SchizophrenicBatman
01-30-2011, 01:07 AM
you dont skip the senior bowl without a good reason

i bet smith had a good reason.

TACKLE
01-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Jimmy Smith could go anywhere from 13-40. My guess is somewhere in between. Not to be this guy, but I've been really high on him for months now and have had him ranked neck and neck with Prince. Stupid ESPN, making me look bad.

87Canes
01-30-2011, 01:14 AM
First time I watched some highlights of J-Smith I was like daaaaaaaamn kid can play but his work ethic is terrible. That cold be attributed to a terrible Colorado football program too...

RaiderNation
01-30-2011, 01:40 AM
He has been my #3 CB for some time now, since Jenkins didnt come out. IMO he is a top 15 pick(likely going to Detroit who will be out of reach of PP and Amukamara). 6'2 205lbs 4.4 speed, I think he can be a Nnamdi Asomugha-lite type player who doesnt make alot of huge plays, but does jam his WR and gives up no big plays.

gpngc
01-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Looks to me like he knows how to play C2 and that's it... we'll see.

TACKLE
01-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Looks to me like he knows how to play C2 and that's it... we'll see.

Except for the fact that he plays press-man the majority of the time...

Bald_81
01-30-2011, 02:52 AM
He's going to go late second round but maybe in that 33-46 range if he has a solid combine and workout.

Scotty D
01-30-2011, 03:02 AM
First time I watched some highlights of J-Smith I was like daaaaaaaamn kid can play but his work ethic is terrible. That cold be attributed to a terrible Colorado football program too...

How can you conclude anything about his work ethic from highlights?

Clarkw267
01-30-2011, 03:10 AM
My notes after watching 3 games in '10......

Pros:
Good closing speed, has ability to turn and run with receivers.
Looks smooth and fluid for his size when flipping his hips in coverage.
Maintains solid leverage on the WR when in man coverage.
Uses his hands well at the LOS when playing bump and run.

Cons:
Not a good tackler, and doesn't show a lot of initiative in run support.
Doesn't play with great technique and at times gets high in his backpedal.
Doesn't give maximum effort on every play
Isn't a playmaker at the position
Ball skills leave something to be desired.

Mid 2nd round pick to me. If someone reaches for him I just hope it isn't the Lions.

Scotty D
01-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Cons:
Not a good tackler, and doesn't show a lot of initiative in run support.
Doesn't play with great technique and at times gets high in his backpedal.
Doesn't give maximum effort on every play
Isn't a playmaker at the position
Ball skills leave something to be desired.

Mid 2nd round pick to me. If someone reaches for him I just hope it isn't the Lions.

I've seen the exact opposite.

ElectricEye
01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Me too.

I really went back and looked a few months ago when I heard about the ridiculous stats. Quarterbacks simply do not target him at the NCAA level, which leads to the not a playmaker knock. I'll take a guy that shuts someone down over an interception machine every single day of the week. Should be a first round pick. If not, won't last very long into the second. His teammate Jalil Brown is a guy to keep an eye on in the second round too.

A Perfect Score
01-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Im a huge fan of Jimmy Smith. He really needs to come to Baltimore at 26. He's got Nnamdi written all over him.

Jalil Brown is a very impressive guy as well, Id be shocked if he makes it out of the third.

DBNYDP
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I know I'm not the only person who has watched Colorado several times this year to complain about Jimmy Smith's play. He seems like a 4th or 5th round pick for me, but some GM will take him in the second or first

Jakey
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
If he is there at the Steelers second pick, i would sex-wee everywhere.

87Canes
01-30-2011, 11:43 AM
How can you conclude anything about his work ethic from highlights?

You can't tell if someone is busting their a** by watching a couple plays? Even when he's making an actual play, he still drags...

The guy has got talent but he isn't using it to his full potential. I mean if he makes those plays half a**ing it, imagine how good would he be if he went hard on every play?

truth393
01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
I believe Smith must've gotten some good feedback to skip out on the Senior Bowl. He might be a lock to go in the top 20 now, and I think if he performs well at the combine, he could jump Amukamara as the #2 CB prospect in this draft. I think the Lions and Jaguars are two teams in the top 20 that will have strong interest in him, especially the Lions, being that they like press-man cover corners.

87Canes
01-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Jimmy Smith isn't a cover 2 CB. He's too big and doesn't have the greatest hip flexibility. Kid can bump and run with the best and has great ball skills.

SimonRath
01-30-2011, 12:52 PM
I believe Smith must've gotten some good feedback to skip out on the Senior Bowl. He might be a lock to go in the top 20 now, and I think if he performs well at the combine, he could jump Amukamara as the #2 CB prospect in this draft. I think the Lions and Jaguars are two teams in the top 20 that will have strong interest in him, especially the Lions, being that they like press-man cover corners.

What has Amukamara done to be jumped by Smith?

truth393
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
What has Amukamara done to be jumped by Smith?

I actually think Smith and Amukamara are neck and neck to be the 2nd CB taken. It's just that Smith has been flying under the radar, where as the media has been on Amukamara's bandwagon for almost two years now. I think the combine is where those two will seperate from each other.

thegreatone
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I've heard he has very stiff hips.

For those who have watched him enough, would you agree with that?

princefielder28
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I've heard he has very stiff hips.

For those who have watched him enough, would you agree with that?

It is a slight concern but I think if his technique can be refined (play in a more athletic position, not so straight up) then that weakness can be helped a bit

gpngc
01-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Except for the fact that he plays press-man the majority of the time...

Maybe I watched the wrong videos... mostly C2. One or two plays of press-man including the goalline (where you obviously can't play C2)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzaqPIyPtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vY06HXzEb0&feature=related

Still like his skillset but as someone else mentioned I wonder if he can rip his arm and flip his hips in man coverage. Appears to have adequate speed and definitely has the size and physicality you look for.

TACKLE
01-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Maybe I watched the wrong videos... mostly C2. One or two plays of press-man including the goalline (where you obviously can't play C2)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzaqPIyPtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vY06HXzEb0&feature=related

Still like his skillset but as someone else mentioned I wonder if he can rip his arm and flip his hips in man coverage. Appears to have adequate speed and definitely has the size and physicality you look for.

Well in the game where I actually watched him he played a lot press man.

Though he doesn't play press as much as I thought, there was maybe once or twice where he was playing C2 in that whole Oklahoma video. He was playing mostly off man with just a little bit of cover 3 sprinkled in there.