PDA

View Full Version : James Carpenter, OL, Alabama

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 03:09 PM
After watching all the practices and the Senior Bowl game I expected to walk away impressed by the likes of Nate Solder and Derek Sherrod, but the player that I was most impressed with was James Carpenter of Alabama.

Pass Protection: He has nice feet and a solid kick slide and has the athletic ability to slide at LT. In the game he gave up 0 pressure and during the week was shutting guys down in 1 on 1s.

Run Game: He is physical off the ball and stays low. In the game he sprung a couple of runs and he and Rodney Hudson were devastating on double teams.

At 6'5" 315lbs. he has the size and strength to play inside and he has the athletic ability to possibly play out at OT adding versatility to his list of traits.

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000dvdGy.uEM8I/s/750/DEH-NCAA-Alabama-LSU-136.JPG

ElectricEye
01-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I think he's destined to move to guard, but be a pretty good one. Very light on his feet and good at getting out to the second level. Should be a pretty good pull guy which is always attractive.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 03:26 PM
I think he's destined to move to guard, but be a pretty good one. Very light on his feet and good at getting out to the second level. Should be a pretty good pull guy which is always attractive.

I am starting to view him as a possible 2nd or 3rd round player. He looked better then Costanzo and Solder.

DBNYDP
01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
I think he'd be a nice RT.
Has a lot of power and is pretty quick on his feet. Possibly blindside tackle for a lefty?

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I think he'd be a nice RT.
Has a lot of power and is pretty quick on his feet. Possibly blindside tackle for a lefty?

LG I think would be his best position, but you could try him at LT, RT or LG.

He was dominant this week and the game was impressive.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Has anyone seen him during the season and can you confirm that the Senior Bowl was not a fluke?

AntoinCD
01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Has anyone seen him during the season and can you confirm that the Senior Bowl was not a fluke?

He was okay during the season, not a liabity but didn't play like a 2nd or 3rd rounder either. I think he would struggle with speed rushers in the NFL but could definitely play OT in a reserve role. I like him as an OG though. Early fourth round would be right for me

LizardState
01-30-2011, 06:49 PM

He was a Juco transfer from Kansas. He was moved to LT at Alabama after Outland Winner Andre Smith bailed early for the NFL, signed w/ an agent before their Sugar Bowl loss, & Utah's 8 sacks were as big reason for that upset loss.

Since that game he was an excellent LT coming up big in big games in Bama's NC season, improved his stock tremendously this yr & in Senior Bowl wk. Great size & footwork, excels at pass blocking.

He may well have elevated himself into a starting impact rookie in the NFL after this wk. Will probably be off the boards after Sherrod & Carimi but ahead of Costanzo & Solder.

SenorGato
01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
One of my favorite OL prospects...I think he could be a dominant LG, but if teams buy him as a LT then go for it...he's capable of it and he did play it for Alabama...

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I am wondering based on what I have seen if he could become the #1 rated OG in the class?

His combination of size and power are nice and the footwork and wide base would make him ideal inside.

I agree his kick slide seems to slow, though disciplined, to go against elite speed.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 08:20 PM
He was a Juco transfer from Kansas. He was moved to LT at Alabama after Outland Winner Andre Smith bailed early for the NFL, signed w/ an agent before their Sugar Bowl loss, & Utah's 8 sacks were as big reason for that upset loss.

Since that game he was an excellent LT coming up big in big games in Bama's NC season, improved his stock tremendously this yr & in Senior Bowl wk. Great size & footwork, excels at pass blocking.

He may well have elevated himself into a starting impact rookie in the NFL after this wk. Will probably be off the boards after Sherrod & Carimi but ahead of Costanzo & Solder.

Then why are so many "draft experts"so down on him on average he is a 3rd-5th rounder and the 7th best OG?

Steveospeak
01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Then why are so many "draft experts"so down on him on average he is a 3rd-5th rounder and the 7th best OG?

I don't think they are down on him, it is just that he hasn't had the multi-year pedigree that a number of these tackles have had. If he follows up on his Senior Bowl performance with a good combine and pro day he could improve his stock even more.

Late 2nd to 3rd round is a good fit for Carpenter, he is good and has a lot of promise, but I don't think he is completely refined just yet.

JohnCandy
01-30-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't think they are down on him, it is just that he hasn't had the multi-year pedigree that a number of these tackles have had. If he follows up on his Senior Bowl performance with a good combine and pro day he could improve his stock even more.

Late 2nd to 3rd round is a good fit for Carpenter, he is good and has a lot of promise, but I don't think he is completely refined just yet.

Especially in a weak to average OL class he could or should really climb.

I love him as a possible OG.

FUNBUNCHER
01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Carpenter looks like he can play LT IMO in the NFL. That alone tells me he could go before the 3rd round.
One of the most underrated Olineman in this draft, and most times he looked like the best O lineman at the Senior Bowl.

Matthew Jones
01-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Looked pretty good in the one-on-ones, although at one point I saw someone blow past him around the outside before he even got out of his stance. He's a guard in the NFL in my opinion.