PDA

View Full Version : I like McElroy the Most Out of All the QB's

PrimetimeTheDon
01-31-2011, 12:20 AM
His accuracy, poise, footwork, and efficiency make him my favorite quarterback prospect. I love his zip on intermediate routes and his touch on shorter routes. His size is just fine at 6-3 225. His natural leadership and success as a "winner" don't hurt either. There is not a whole lot he lacks in his arsenal in my opinion.

As far as elite arm strength goes, lacking it is not a concern of mine. His arm is good enough for the NFL level and that is all that I am concerned about.

The fact that he is left out of first round discussion is puzzling.

SenorGato
01-31-2011, 12:22 AM
He's not physically gifted enough.

PrimetimeTheDon
01-31-2011, 12:23 AM
He's not physically gifted enough.

What is he lacking?

A Perfect Score
01-31-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm a fan myself. He comes across really well in his interviews too. I think he can be a starter in the NFL one day. I'm certainly not going to be the guy who bets against him.

SenorGato
01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
What is he lacking?

More strength/size/etc...maybe he can get coached up in the league...I like him enough and I think he comes from a good NFL player producing program.

nepg
01-31-2011, 12:33 AM
What is he lacking?
Everything.

JPP90
01-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Everything.

Intelligent.

JPP90
01-31-2011, 01:02 AM
His accuracy, poise, footwork, and efficiency make him my favorite quarterback prospect. I love his zip on intermediate routes and his touch on shorter routes. His size is just fine at 6-3 225. His natural leadership and success as a "winner" don't hurt either. There is not a whole lot he lacks in his arsenal in my opinion.

As far as elite arm strength goes, lacking it is not a concern of mine. His arm is good enough for the NFL level and that is all that I am concerned about.

I'm a big fan myself. As a Giants fan, I'm hoping we take him day 3 to compete to be back-up...I wouldn't loe any sleep over Eli getting injured with a guy like McElroy behind him. As you pointed out, in this day and age where offenses are more and more dink and dunk and focused on efficiency and minimizing risk, arm strength can be overrated. You still need to be able to make all the intermediate throws and have the arm strength to make the occasional deep pass and I think McElroy has it. His arm isn't much worse than a Sanchez. When you put together a 1st round QB though, they tend to have a cannon arm and McElroy doesn't. I love his potential though.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-31-2011, 01:10 AM

try 6'1 with small hands

I have McElroy with a similar grade as Dalton and if it came down to it I'd probably take him over Dalton, but neither of them will ever be more than "good back up, bad starter" types

AntoinCD
01-31-2011, 07:17 AM
I like McElroy but I don't think he will be able to be more than a good backup in the NFL. In the right system he can be a guy who can come off the bench and keep you in games. But he doesn't have the physical tools to punish teams who cheat against the run defensively. I see his ceiling, at the very best, being Chad Pennington

descendency
01-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Intelligent.

It's pretty accurate. He's average build with a weak arm. He can't even run well.

That said, I like him as a late round QB who can be a solid backup.

I see his ceiling, at the very best, being Chad Pennington

After the surgeries, maybe. Not before.

AntoinCD
01-31-2011, 08:12 AM
After the surgeries, maybe. Not before.

Even before the surgeries he had a weak arm though. I see a lot of similarities between the two. While Pennington is probably more accurate he had the same issues and limitations. That's why I specified best case scenario for McElroy. I think he will be a good backup who can start if needed...Pennington had a relatively successful career as a starter. It would take the right system and a lot of luck for McElroy to have that sort of career

stephenson86
01-31-2011, 08:34 AM
If he gets in a system that doesn't require him to stretch the field too much and gives him a lot of short/intermediate options combined with a solid run game I think he will be just fine.

RealityCheck
01-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Brodie Croyle and John Parker Wilson = Bama QBs don't work.

ncst8fan83
01-31-2011, 09:05 AM

TJ Yates should be an epic failure then

Grizzlegom
01-31-2011, 10:05 AM

Wait what? Didn't Kenny Stabler, Bart Starr, and Joe Namath go to Bama? I realize they aren't recent but Croyle and JP Wilson are just as good of examples as those three considering they played under Mike Shula's staff and not Saban's.

RealityCheck
01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
TJ Yates should be an epic failure then
He pretty much will.

And about Stabler, Namath, etc, it was a different time.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM

ARE YOU DRUNK he will be selling car insurance in 9 months, dude has no business in the NFL, not even Canada wants him. but i think he will do well as a Tv football talking head guy.

SolidGold
01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
ARE YOU DRUNK he will be selling car insurance in 9 months, dude has no business in the NFL, not even Canada wants him. but i think he will do well as a Tv football talking head guy.

So will he be selling car insurance in 9 months or be a talking head football guy or both?

RealityCheck
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Cmon dooz mcelroy lost 3 gms in 6 yrs thats hs and college combind hes a sure 1st rd pickzzz1!!!

A Perfect Score
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Cmon dooz mcelroy lost 3 gms in 6 yrs thats hs and college combind hes a sure 1st rd pickzzz1!!!

Its funny that you post in here, because McElroy seems like a Patriots type of player. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take him in the 5th and try and find themselves another Tom Brady.

Shane P. Hallam
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Puzzling to only you. He's not even 6'2. His arm strength is minimal at best. He may last around this league for awhile in Todd Collins fashion, but he is not a starter.

metafour
01-31-2011, 12:22 PM
http://newmisc.com/images/mcelroydancing5.gif

Shane P. Hallam
01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
He also broke his hand at the Senior Bowl apparently...

SimonRath
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
http://newmisc.com/images/mcelroydancing5.gif

ocV5bGHdYag

Jack203
01-31-2011, 09:05 PM

You were talking Mcelroy up a couple months ago....what happened?

Brent
01-31-2011, 09:19 PM
for those who don't know, that's his family and on the right you see his little sister who has hair extensions.

87Canes
01-31-2011, 09:24 PM
McElroy shouldn't even be drafted honestly.

PrimetimeTheDon
02-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I have never seen anything that has indicated his arm was not good enough for the NFL. A quarterback having elite arm strength means very little at the next level. The arm certainly needs to be strong enough, but the important thing is the quarterback's release, footwork, timing, accuracy, leadership, and dilligence in the tape room.

Those are all qualities McElroy possesses. I did not realize he was only 6-1, height does matter, but 6-1 can work.

PrimetimeTheDon
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
As for the references to previous 'Bama QB's, it is irrelevant and someone who knows anything about the draft should know that.

The fact that 'Bama runs a pro style offense from under center does not hurt either.

hockey619
02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I didnt see too much of him this past season (game or two) but I saw a lot of him the year before and he was absolute garbage.

He didnt have to do anything all year with ingram and richardson beating the crap out of people and standing behind a great line. Then he goes to play texas and anytime he drops back he does something crappy, dude was terrible in that game IMO and had texas just stacked the freaking line and made him pass idk that they win that game even with texas' backup in.

He didnt dominate in college or really show anything special. He has marginal physical skills, is short, immobile, never been impressed by his arm as he didnt throw a whole lot of intermediate stuff that I can remember. i dont really see him bringing a whole lot to the game.

87Canes
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I have never seen anything that has indicated his arm was not good enough for the NFL. A quarterback having elite arm strength means very little at the next level. The arm certainly needs to be strong enough, but the important thing is the quarterback's release, footwork, timing, accuracy, leadership, and dilligence in the tape room.

Those are all qualities McElroy possesses. I did not realize he was only 6-1, height does matter, but 6-1 can work.

Arm strength is very important because it doesn't limit the kind of routes WRs can run. A QB with a weak arm can't throw the out route, the deep hook or even a go route amongst several others.

When a QB has to put all of his body weight into a throw, CBs read that all day and have that extra tipoff to break on the ball that much quicker.