PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Williams: Stock Watch

the_dark_knight
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM
What's his stock like on these boards?

Personally he's my favorite running back in this class. I think he's got the skillset to light it up in the NFL, and I don't mean like oh yeah he's a good rotational back, I think he's a solid 1500 yard guy. My issue with him is his style is one that would tend to make him more injury prone, he's gotta stay healthy.

But based solely on potential, I'd take Williams as my #1 back in the draft.

thenewfeature06
01-31-2011, 10:34 AM
I think coming into the college football year people expected big things out of him, me being one of them. First game of the season, Boise held him to like 25-30 yards maybe and he just didn't have a good year. At this point he is a little underrated in my eyes, though I don't think I would draft him until the 2nd because I like Ingram and Leshoure a little more.

the_dark_knight
01-31-2011, 10:41 AM
I think coming into the college football year people expected big things out of him, me being one of them. First game of the season, Boise held him to like 25-30 yards maybe and he just didn't have a good year. At this point he is a little underrated in my eyes, though I don't think I would draft him until the 2nd because I like Ingram and Leshoure a little more.

Cool, I never saw Leshoure play, so I'd have to see him in game action.

Williams vs Ingram is a no contest for me though. Ingram in the pro game won't have an Alabama OL vs the DLs that they faced. Alabama was so superior talent wise, it's not even funny. It's sort of like Emmitt Smith vs Barry Sanders, there's no question who was better 'stat' wise, but in terms of a pure running back who could make things happen w/o anyone around him, Barry is #1 all time, at worst 1b, next to Dickerson.

That's why I'd take Williams over Ingram, but I can see why people would prefer Ingram, as long as their squad can support him.

Gunna have to hop on youtube to check this Leshoure kid out.

thenewfeature06
01-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah I have only seen Leshoure play a few times but he looks like a NFL RB to me, very balanced game.

AntoinCD
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
What's his stock like on these boards?

Personally he's my favorite running back in this class. I think he's got the skillset to light it up in the NFL, and I don't mean like oh yeah he's a good rotational back, I think he's a solid 1500 yard guy. My issue with him is his style is one that would tend to make him more injury prone, he's gotta stay healthy.

But based solely on potential, I'd take Williams as my #1 back in the draft.

That's not solid, that's elite.

I don't see him being that type of guy in the NFL. He had a real down year, and while a lot can be put on an atrocious offensive line he was outperformed by other RBs on the VT team. I like the potential of his skillset but right now I wouldn't touch him until the 3rd round.

the_dark_knight
01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
That's not solid, that's elite.

I don't see him being that type of guy in the NFL. He had a real down year, and while a lot can be put on an atrocious offensive line he was outperformed by other RBs on the VT team. I like the potential of his skillset but right now I wouldn't touch him until the 3rd round.

I didn't mean 1500 yards was solid, I meant he was a guy who I'd count on for 1500 yards. Not year in and year out, cause in today's NFL that doesn't happen, but he's a guy who I think would be firmly capable of getting to the 1500 yard plateau. Sorry for miscommunication there.

3rd round for him? really? I'd gladly give a 3rd round pick for him, if you assured me right now he'd be there when the Falcons pick in round 3 I'd absolutely go ahead and lock that pick in right now.

I follow the Falcons, should have stated that before, but that also is part of what colors my idea of a back, we don't need a Leshoure type back (just looked his style up on youtube, obviously not the best source) he seems more of a "primary" pound it type back with a really dirty stiff leg move he can put on people in the hole and make them miss, but he's not a guy who's going to run away from ya, which is one of the things Atlanta's offense is missing.

Williams hands, and speed, and power combo is going to boost him into the early 2nd imo. Especially once he runs in the low 4.3s at the combine.

SimonRath
01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I didn't mean 1500 yards was solid, I meant he was a guy who I'd count on for 1500 yards. Not year in and year out, cause in today's NFL that doesn't happen, but he's a guy who I think would be firmly capable of getting to the 1500 yard plateau. Sorry for miscommunication there.

3rd round for him? really? I'd gladly give a 3rd round pick for him, if you assured me right now he'd be there when the Falcons pick in round 3 I'd absolutely go ahead and lock that pick in right now.

I follow the Falcons, should have stated that before, but that also is part of what colors my idea of a back, we don't need a Leshoure type back (just looked his style up on youtube, obviously not the best source) he seems more of a "primary" pound it type back with a really dirty stiff leg move he can put on people in the hole and make them miss, but he's not a guy who's going to run away from ya, which is one of the things Atlanta's offense is missing.

Williams hands, and speed, and power combo is going to boost him into the early 2nd imo. Especially once he runs in the low 4.3s at the combine.

god not another VT player to the falcons..

PossibleCabbage
01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Mid-Second to Mid-third is where I'd put him right now. He's a day 2 pick. Probably all of the RBs in this class should be day 2 picks, but Ingram might go higher due to hype, though NFL personnel men should have learned by now that a Heisman trophy doesn't actually mean anything in the NFL.

BamaFalcon59
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
RW is extremely talented. He can do it all. The only thing he lacks is an ideal set of triangle numbers.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that he will run low 4.3 from, I would expect low 4.5. And I'm a huge, huge VT fan.

ellsy82
01-31-2011, 07:01 PM
http://marketplayground.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/stock_graph_down_arrow.jpg

descendency
01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
RW is extremely talented. He can do it all. The only thing he lacks is an ideal set of triangle numbers.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that he will run low 4.3 from, I would expect low 4.5. And I'm a huge, huge VT fan.

Is he even the best RB at VT?

Bald_81
01-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I sincerely hope he falls to the Rams in the second round and they have the stones to select him. We badly need someone to back up Jackson and has the potential to be an every down back in the future.

BamaFalcon59
01-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Is he even the best RB at VT?

By far.

David Wilson has the tools to be the best of the three, and Evans is a very good all around back, but RW is extremely, extremely talented.

87Canes
01-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Ryan Williams should have carried the entire workload at VT this year and his numbers went down because of it.

VT still had a pretty good record but I think he was part of a common coaching mistake which is play every "good" back you have. Some runners as is Ryan Williams, need to carry the ball a ton of times to get going because they're workload backs.

BamaFalcon59
01-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, RW was hurt the majority of the year, even in the Orange Bowl. The other reasons for the split load were DE being productive in RW's absence and us not redshirting David Wilson, who scored multiple touchdowns rushing, receiving, and returning for us this season.

gpngc
01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, RW was hurt the majority of the year, even in the Orange Bowl. The other reasons for the split load were DE being productive in RW's absence and us not redshirting David Wilson, who scored multiple touchdowns rushing, receiving, and returning for us this season.

Elaborate please.

This is the type of detail that is lost as we try to get a read on hundreds and hundreds of other players...

Then when he's lighting up the NFL, someone casually adds "well he sucked that year because he was hurt - this isn't surprising at all..."

Not saying that's going to happen but you get the point.

CLong4Heisman
01-31-2011, 09:43 PM
He did something to his hamstring in the East Carolina game and was never fully healthy for the rest of the year. He then aggravated it during an Orange Bowl practice.

DBNYDP
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Injury prone as a running back in college scares me.

And don't blame his lack of production on the line...it was shown that other runners had success at VT.

dannyz
01-31-2011, 11:48 PM
The thing with VT is that they had 3 good RB's and RW got injured and missed some games while the other guys kept playing good and when he came back they never really used him.

1funguy
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Injury prone as a running back in college scares me.

And don't blame his lack of production on the line...it was shown that other runners had success at VT.

He isn't injury-prone. He hurt his hamstring early in the 2010 season but beasted as the workhorse in '09 with no time missed due to injury.

Whoever said he'll run a 4.3 is dreaming or has mistaken Ryan's numbers for David Wilson's. I expect high 4.4 to low 4.5.

And the OL did suck this year. The other 2 backs were healthier & got a lot of the carries that Ryan missed out on but don't think that he won't be a good RB in the NFL. Not a 1st rounder but solidly in 2nd to early 3rd.

PrimetimeTheDon
02-01-2011, 08:05 AM
On tape, he is perhaps the most impressive back in the class. His burst, body lean, and drive after contact are elite, and his wiggle in space is underrated.

I really like Ryan Williams. I would give him a late first round grade.

BamaFalcon59
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
On tape, he is perhaps the most impressive back in the class. His burst, body lean, and drive after contact are elite, and his wiggle in space is underrated.

I really like Ryan Williams. I would give him a late first round grade.

I agree. Late first, early second. I would say early second due to injury concerns and lack of ideal triangle numbers.

the_dark_knight
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I expect 4.3 because of his speed in pads. He's insanely quick, which is what scores well in the 40. His ability go from 0 to full speed so quickly will bump his 40 time, I wouldn't be shocked to see a 4.5 either though, but I think he's got a shot at 4.3.

I do believe he's got the most ability in this class, I think he's got the best skill set and triangle numbers to back it up. Looking forward to watching this guy get out there and mix it up at the combine etc.

I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. Just wanted to get some talk going on about this guy. Thanks for all the input everyone else is bringing. I really do see a 1500 yard back in him though.

brat316
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't know why guys like Lewis and Williams came out so early. But I guess with Rbs having such short careers they might as well make the most of it since both had good seasons last year.

PossibleCabbage
02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't know why guys like Lewis and Williams came out so early. But I guess with Rbs having such short careers they might as well make the most of it since both had good seasons last year.

Which Williams was it that had a good season last year? Since Ryan certainly didn't. At least 477 on 110 carries isn't really a "good season" I see it.

Or does "last year" mean 2009, and not 2010?

brat316
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Which Williams was it that had a good season last year? Since Ryan certainly didn't. At least 477 on 110 carries isn't really a "good season" I see it.

Or does "last year" mean 2009, and not 2010?

2009, my bad. Two years ago.

Bald_81
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Plenty of prospects have been taken high despite injury riddled final seasons or other circumstances (suspensions) because teams don't forget about their past. When they turn on his '09 tape they'll see a special back and if he combines this with a solid combine and/or pro day he'll still be a high pick.

dannyz
02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
If he were to blow up the combine I could see him going top 15. Some Scouts don't care about College Numbers and if he were to run a 4.3 or 4.4 I could see him go that high.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
If he were to blow up the combine I could see him going top 15. Some Scouts don't care about College Numbers and if he were to run a 4.3 or 4.4 I could see him go that high.

No way in hell he runs in the 4.3' and likely 4.4's. IMO Derrick Locke and Noel Devine will be the only backs who I am pretty sure will run a sub 4.5.

PossibleCabbage
02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
No way in hell he runs in the 4.3' and likely 4.4's. IMO Derrick Locke and Noel Devine will be the only backs who I am pretty sure will run a sub 4.5.

It's worth noting that the track at Lucas Oil is not as fast as the historically fast old track. Every year people are disappointed by the 40 times, and part of that is that they changed the timing mechanics (and they won't change it back to the old one).

So even guys who were really, really fast in college can no longer be counted on to run a sub 4.4 reliably.

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Eh, the RCA Dome actually only had a "fast track" the last few years of its existance. Before that, it was considered an extremely slow track, which is why so many prospects declined to run on it.

I remember right after the new surface got put in that the position groups were running noticeably faster (2006 I believe - which explains why every single DB from that year was a "4.4" guy, Super Mario ran a blistering 40, and Vernon Davis amongst others).

the_dark_knight
02-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Well, obviously everyone's thoughts are out here, I just think Williams is one of those guys who is going to be a monster back in the Pros.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Williams is definitely a work horse back who can consistently get you 3 to 4 yards a carry. The problem is that in today's NFL teams are straying away from workhorse backs. They'd rather have fresh situational backs. A true power back, a true scat back, a true receiving back. Williams is pretty strong, pretty quick, pretty fast, and has pretty good quickness. He isn't elite at anything though so I question how effective he can be as an 8-10 carry type guy as he likely won't be afforded a work horse role in the NFL. I will say though that I throw out this season because of the injuries and other circumstances. The Ryan Williams of his RS freshman year is the Williams I expect to be in the NFL.

proshoota25
02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
not even close for me

ingram >> leshoure > demarco murray > daniel thomas > vareen > williams

(wondering if i am forgetting anyone?)^

ingram is in a class of his own in this draft. and yes >> means much greater lol

the_dark_knight
02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
not even close for me

ingram is in a class of his own in this draft. and yes >> means much greater lol

I couldn't disagree more. Ingram wasn't even the most talented back at Alabama, no chance he's #1 in this draft class, even amongst a relatively weak RB class. To me Williams has Adrian Peterson potential, where as Ingram is going to need a superior offensive line to allow his skills to shine.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I couldn't disagree more. Ingram wasn't even the most talented back at Alabama, no chance he's #1 in this draft class, even amongst a relatively weak RB class. To me Williams has Adrian Peterson potential, where as Ingram is going to need a superior offensive line to allow his skills to shine.

What makes you think Williams has all pro potential much less AD potential? Like I said he's pretty quick, is pretty strong, and has pretty good speed. AD though is a superior to most NFL backs but in strength and speed. He's a physical freak. Williams is very ordinary. Williams can be stopped at the hole. If I were to come up with an NFL comparison for Williams I'd say BenJarvus Green Ellis. I think Williams is a solid 3rd rounder. As for Ingram while his speed and size are average he has 2 exceptional traits which are head and shoulders above any other back in this draft, vision/cutback ability and incredible balance. He's the only first round worthy RB. I do like Leshoure but I don't particularly like his leverage and running style. Murray is way too much of a question mark for me in terms of durability. I'm personally a big Kendall Hunter fan because of his versatility and would easily take him in the 3rd or 4th round. I love how there are so many back this year who fit a mold for whatever a team is looking for. Power backs like Thomas, Bilal, Delone, Bradord, Anthony Allen, Harper, Green, Payne. Scat backs like Locke, Devine, Cooper, Toddman, Quizz, Dion Lewis.

BamaFalcon59
02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
not even close for me

Leshoure I can see. Maybe Vareen. Definitely not Murray and definitely not Thomas.

proshoota25
02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
im alot higher on thomas than most.

NotRickJames
02-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Big fan of his. Shame both he and Evans are out the door at VT.

gpngc
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM

To be fair to Ingram, Richardson may be the best back in the nation.

And Ingram may have been #2.

SimonRath
02-04-2011, 12:02 AM

Jus cause Ingram wasnt the top RB at his college doesnt mean hes not the top one in this draft class..

Caulibflower
02-04-2011, 12:07 AM
...To me Williams has Adrian Peterson potential...

time for your meds.

Caulibflower
02-04-2011, 12:12 AM
And for the record, Mark Ingram is easily the best running back in this class. He is the full package. If any team is still looking for a workhorse, he can do it. He has good size. He has good speed. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, and when you start talking about the stuff that you can't measure at the combine...his balance, his vision, his cutback ability and the way he keeps his legs churning as guys try to tackle him...he's pretty close to elite in my book. Frankly, he's a prototypical running back. He's a guy who grades very, very well all across the board. He possesses an extraordinarily balanced skillset, which is really valuable to teams because it doesn't cue the defenses to what kind of plays the offense is going to be running. Mark Ingram can do it all well.

Caulibflower
02-04-2011, 12:23 AM

I actually do like Ryan Williams. After seeing what he did as a freshman, I was really surprised to see him have such a down year. I can see him being a 1000-yard rusher in the NFL, but you simply can't compare him to Adrian Peterson, who hasn't rushed for less than a thousand yards in a season in his life.

LonghornsLegend
02-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Williams is definitely a work horse back who can consistently get you 3 to 4 yards a carry. The problem is that in today's NFL teams are straying away from workhorse backs. They'd rather have fresh situational backs. A true power back, a true scat back, a true receiving back. Williams is pretty strong, pretty quick, pretty fast, and has pretty good quickness. He isn't elite at anything though so I question how effective he can be as an 8-10 carry type guy as he likely won't be afforded a work horse role in the NFL. I will say though that I throw out this season because of the injuries and other circumstances. The Ryan Williams of his RS freshman year is the Williams I expect to be in the NFL.

Eh. Not every RB fits into that mold though. Which one of those traits is Ray Rice? Deangelo Williams? If you can play you can play. Doesn't really matter if you can't fit under one of those categories.

I've always been a huge Ryan Williams fan, didn't deter me after this season either. He's gonna be a very good NFL RB for whoever he lands with, and if Moreno and Ryan Mathews can be top 15 picks Ryan Williams is easily a 2nd round and great value at any point in the round.

Caulibflower
02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Eh. Not every RB fits into that mold though. Which one of those traits is Ray Rice? Deangelo Williams? If you can play you can play. Doesn't really matter if you can't fit under one of those categories.

I've always been a huge Ryan Williams fan, didn't deter me after this season either. He's gonna be a very good NFL RB for whoever he lands with, and if Moreno and Ryan Mathews can be top 15 picks Ryan Williams is easily a 2nd round and great value at any point in the round.

That's a good point. I didn't care for either of those guys coming out. I'd much rather have Williams in the second than either of those guys in the first.