PDA

View Full Version : Willis at #2? Not so unreasonable anymore...

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 07:30 PM
POSTED 8:02 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2007

WILLIS CLIMBS THE LADDER

According to NFL.com, Mississippi linebacker Patrick Willis ran the 40-yard dash in a blazing 4.37 and 4.38 seconds during a Tuesday Pro Day workout.

The times were generated on FieldTurf, which is the same surface used at the scouting combine in Indy.

The move is sure to send Willis farther up the draft board. In our most recent mock draft, Willis had climbed to No. 11, as the first linebacker taken. He could now potentially challenge Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams as the first defensive player selected.

Most impressive to us is that Willis didn't rest on his dazzling time from his first crack at the 40. Instead, he ran again to prove that it wasn't a fluke.

Willis was the 2006 Butkus Award winner, and he would be a great fit in a Cover 2-style scheme, which requires the middle linebacker to chase receivers down the middle of the field.

From PFT.com...

Honestly... it's true. With that time, he could definately shoot up the boards... which is almost bad news for the Lions. To grab him, we'd almost have to take him in the top 5... which means we probably shouldn't trade down twice.

It seems to fit, though... the coaches love him, they want a MLB and he's shooting up the boards (a 4.38!?). I definately think he'll be our target.

Imagine his speed in Madden 08...

lionsfan81
03-21-2007, 07:46 PM
if we got patrick willis, id be soooo happy. i have a big of a man crush on him as tactalion does. i definately would love to have him in the draft but only at the earliest pick number 5, if we cant trade down im not sure if i want him, because there are other MLBs in round 2 we could take (buster davis and david harris). but honestly if we did pick him at #2 id be extremely happy.

Xiomera
03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Let's trade down and take Willis. I still refuse to take him at 2, but I am not opposed to taking him in any sort of deal down. Let's get some more picks to work with, and then grab Willis.

WMD
03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
If Millen liked him before, he must love Willis now.. He did that "4.37" on Field Turf, which is the same surface that the Lions play on at Ford Field..

A 6'1, 242 pounder with, just to be safe, 4.4 speed.. That's one fast bulldozer.

TacticaLion
03-22-2007, 04:32 AM
If Millen liked him before, he must love Willis now.. He did that "4.37" on Field Turf, which is the same surface that the Lions play on at Ford Field..

A 6'1, 242 pounder with, just to be safe, 4.4 speed.. That's one fast bulldozer.

Haha... that's a great line.

I think I can safely say that Willis is the target in round 1. They haven't brought in ANY MLBs in FA, and they've made it clear that they want to "upgrade at the position".

Sweet.

Addict
03-22-2007, 07:04 AM
From PFT.com...

Honestly... it's true. With that time, he could definately shoot up the boards... which is almost bad news for the Lions. To grab him, we'd almost have to take him in the top 5... which means we probably shouldn't trade down twice.

It seems to fit, though... the coaches love him, they want a MLB and he's shooting up the boards (a 4.38!?). I definately think he'll be our target.

Imagine his speed in Madden 08...

He'll probably end up with 90-91 speed, IF they respect those numbers over the combine ones. By that same reasoning, his strength should be low, considering he bench pressed only 22 times (i wouldn't get that thing up to begin with, but... nevermind)

detroit4life
03-22-2007, 09:07 AM
i still dont see them taking him at 2 i think they're going to be able to make a trade down and where ever they end up it'll be willis or adams

LionSmack
03-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I still cannot see taking him at #2, that would make him probably the highest drafted MLB ever.

What I can see now is the Lions making one move down and drafting him between 5 and 10. Getting another 2nd rounder makes it easier to reach.

TacticaLion
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I still cannot see taking him at #2, that would make him probably the highest drafted MLB ever.

What I can see now is the Lions making one move down and drafting him between 5 and 10. Getting another 2nd rounder makes it easier to reach.I agree that they'll *try* to move down and draft him later (5-10 is reasonable)... but... as many have asked lately, "what if they can't move down"? I think they'll be able to, but, if they can't, I can see them taking Willis.

He'll probably end up with 90-91 speed, IF they respect those numbers over the combine ones. By that same reasoning, his strength should be low, considering he bench pressed only 22 times (i wouldn't get that thing up to begin with, but... nevermind)
That's reasonable... maybe 72 strength... but he'll have to have high awareness (83) and tacking (89).

Not a bad player. Can't wait to piss people off with Sims-Willis.

WMD
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
As far as Willis' Madden Speed rating goes.. Manny Lawson has 91 speed.. And I think he ran 4.4's at his workouts.. I can see Willis with 88-90 speed.. If we take Willis, we'll have the fastest LB's in the league.. Sims, Willis, and Boss Bailey..

Jagonsucker
03-22-2007, 01:19 PM
As far as Willis' Madden Speed rating goes.. Manny Lawson has 91 speed.. And I think he ran 4.4's at his workouts.. I can see Willis with 88-90 speed.. If we take Willis, we'll have the fastest LB's in the league.. Sims, Willis, and Boss Bailey..

*orgasms*
:)

Pocket
03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
If we don't get him in real life, he'll be the first guy I trade for in Madden 08....

Jay
03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
As stated above, I too have been growing a man crush on Patrick Willis. It's looking more and more likely that my Patriots will have no shot whatsoever at him... :(

TacticaLion
03-22-2007, 01:53 PM
If we don't get him in real life, he'll be the first guy I trade for in Madden 08....Underlined for honesty.

If the Pats traded us both 1st rounders, they could probably take him...

DeMonikk1
03-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I hope they can trade down and grab Willis or Adams. Either one would make me extremely happy AND getting additional draft choices?? Priceless...

Bootland27
03-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Mel Kiper has him #17 in his latest big board. Alan Branch is out of the top 25, which is very surprising.

But then again.....Mike Williams was #1 on his big board.

DeMonikk1
03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Mel Kiper is a douchebag...

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Mel Kiper is a douchebag...

No insulting of the draft god Mel Kiper *wink*

jbombul
03-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Mel Kiper has him #17 in his latest big board. Alan Branch is out of the top 25, which is very surprising.

But then again.....Mike Williams was #1 on his big board.

supposedly, the chiefs d-line coach worked out branch hard and he came away as out of shape but i would still take him hes a game breaker, if of course we didn't have another sasquatch in the middle

Iamcanadian
03-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately, Willis had pretty mediocre cone drills suggesting he is great at anything in front of him but mediocre is going back into coverage as a pass defender, something a cover 2 MLB has to be very good at. Nothing has really changed as scouts and GM's hardly care what you run at your pro day if you already ran at the combine. The combine time will stand. Willis continues to be very suspect as a 3 down LBer. He'll hardly be a star if he has to come off the field in passing downs.

asmitty45
03-22-2007, 11:57 PM
id love to have him, and i think its safe to say that there are more than a few man-crushes on patrick willis