PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Sheppard LB LSU

Captain Canuck
02-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Where is this guys stock at right now? I've seen some sites projecting him as a 4th round pick and some a 2nd-3rd round pick. He seemed like a 3rd round pick to me before the Senior Bowl but does anyone see him being one of the first ILB's off the board? The Bills really need a 3-4 ILB and they coached him at the Senior Bowl. I could see them taking him in the early 2nd ala Torrell Troup last year, even though he may be available in the 3rd (like Troup) because he fills such a huge need.

Poz51
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I think his stock is in the late second to third round myself, and where I have him right now, most likely the third. Coming to the senior bowl at 250 lbs will help him, although watching him this year (Im a LSU fan who watches every game), it looked like he played in the 230's during the season. He was the smartest player defensively I have ever seen at LSU. A leader who can call and change the defense at the pro-level IMO, good side line to side line agility and scraping ability, good instincts, but more of a reactor who will let the play come to him instead of attacking it, if that makes sense. Calling the defense at the senior bowl will help him. The fourth round projections seem to be the dated ones, most of the updates have him in the 3rd that I have seen, but I could still see hm falling into the fourth, although not past it.
As for the Bills, he and Poz would be an incredibly heady duo, although most Bills fans think Poz does not "make plays" in which case you will not like Sheppard either. Being 250 lbs will help him with Buffalo in respect to the comments Nix made about getting bigger at LB to help stop the run. I like the Troup comparison, although I think there will be better players available in the second, Martez Wilson for instance. I would not be opposed at all to taking Sheppard in third, but the second pick in the second round is too high for my tastes.

thegreatone
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
How is his coverage?

Poz51
02-03-2011, 08:33 AM
How is his coverage?

Personally I think he is a really smart zone defender, excelling in that aspect with his recognition skills, but one on one with backs and athletic TE's in man coverage he struggles (although he has improved over the coarse of his career, I cant see him getting significantly better in man coverage as a pro), mainly due to his above average athleticism, and stiff hips. If you are looking for a athletic man to man ILB in pass coverage he is not your man. I look at him like a less athletic/physical Ray Lewis coming out of college, just as smart (if not smarter) and in tune to the game, but clearly not as athletic, nor as physical.

Day One Pick
02-03-2011, 08:41 AM
LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis said, "Kelvin Sheppard is the best and most instinctive linebacker I have ever coached."

I have him as a mid 3rd round to early 4th round pick at the moment.

SenorGato
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Mid 2nd...maybe slightly earlier...really good LB prospect....maybe if something goes wrong he goes in the 3rd....a 3-4 team looking for an ILB is going to fall in love.

Jakey
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
One of the top 3-4 ILB's in this draft. If the Steelers draft one, i hope its this kid!

SenorGato
02-03-2011, 11:19 AM
One of the top 3-4 ILB's in this draft. If the Steelers draft one, i hope its this kid!

Ugh...he'd be perfect to replace Farrior if this is the year that happens...I hope it doesn't happen but it could make some sense.

Flaming Mo
02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Ugh...he'd be perfect to replace Farrior if this is the year that happens...I hope it doesn't happen but it could make some sense.

I could also see the Jets giving him a serious look if they wont resign Harris.

Captain Canuck
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
So the Bills at the top of the 2nd could be a possibility? I think it will depend whether or not Martez Wilson is available or not and who the Bills like better. Wilson might have more potential but seems to be far from a sure thing.

RWills
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
So the Bills at the top of the 2nd could be a possibility? I think it will depend whether or not Martez Wilson is available or not and who the Bills like better. Wilson might have more potential but seems to be far from a sure thing.

I got the Bills taking him at the begining of round 3, I can also see a team like the Giants, Denver, Washington, Chargers take a look at him between rounds 2-3 I do think he has become the #2 MLB behind Martez

Captain Canuck
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
The Bills do have an extra 4th, so they could use their 3rd and a 4th to try to move back up into the 2nd. That's easier said than done though.

brat316
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Steelers gonna snatch him up this year watch out.

diabsoule
02-03-2011, 01:31 PM
All this is crazy talk. Saints are going to draft him at the ass end of the 2nd round. He would be a good 4-3 WLB as well as 3-4.

thegreatone
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Personally I think he is a really smart zone defender, excelling in that aspect with his recognition skills, but one on one with backs and athletic TE's in man coverage he struggles (although he has improved over the coarse of his career, I can see him getting significantly better in man coverage as a pro), mainly due to his above average athleticism, and stiff hips. If you are looking for a athletic man to man ILB in pass coverage he is not your man. I look at him like a less athletic/physical Ray Lewis coming out of college, just as smart (if not smarter) and in tune to the game, but clearly not as athletic, nor as physical.
That is gigantic praise considering Ray Lewis might be the best MLB in NFL history.

Malaka
02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
How would he look as a 4-3 MIKE?

JHL6719
02-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Stay away from Kelvin, all of you. He is mine.

Thank you.

thegreatone
02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Stay away from Kelvin, all of you. He is mine.

Thank you.
Homosexual?

Poz51
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
That is gigantic praise considering Ray Lewis might be the best MLB in NFL history.

I am not saying Shepard will compare to Ray Lewis historically in NFL lore, just that coming out of college Shepard is as smart as Lewis in his understanding of the game/offenses. I do not remember Lewis handling the defensive calls like Shepard does, but that was a long time ago.

SenorGato
02-03-2011, 10:44 PM

Sheppard > Wilson.

JPP90
02-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Homosexual?

I thought that was kind of....odd, too. Sometimes we need to proofread and realize we are talking about other swinging dicks here.

GaMeTiMe
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
He's a second round talent, no doubt. Not one person here will be surprised if he ends up being one of the 32-best players from this draft, either. However he doesn't have that "shine" as a prospect and won't get 1st round consideration. With a great combine he could sneak into the top-50, maybe a 3-4 team really does fall in love with him and could even move up there to get him. But as of right now, he's an early 3rd round pick with probably the most upside in that round of any player there. It's inevitable that he'll be worth a late-2nd once it's all said and done, I'm just not sure he'll necessarily go there, maybe only because he doesn't have much scheme versatility and 4-3 teams may opt for a Mason Foster, Bruce Carter, Martez Wilson or Quan Sturdivant around that area.

Buffalo M
02-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I like him and his stock is probably up because the MLB/ILB crop is pretty thin this year. Very few guys have enough size to be effective inside.

He does.

Nebula
02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Looks like a stiff athlete to me a litte. Outside of his smarts and instincts nothing else really stands out about him. Doesn't have fluid hips, not someone who has quick feet or elite sideline to sideline speed. I haven't watched a whole lot of him though or paid much attention to him

I think he might slip out of the second round