PDA

View Full Version : Weslye Saunders Has Been Declared Ineligible

scpanther22
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Supplemental Draft?

Weslye Saunders has been declared ineligible for the NFL draft due to a paperwork issue
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sources-Weslye-Saunders-ineligible-for-draft-scouting-combine.html

TACKLE
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I read that yesterday. What a dumbass. Probably the top senior TE prospect heading into the season, gets kicked off a team for agent "interactions" and now he can't even be drafted because he didn't file his paperwork properly.

Matthew Jones
02-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Saw that this morning, dude's an idiot.

SimonRath
02-04-2011, 12:41 PM
falcons get him!

tjsunstein
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
How do you file for the draft incorrectly? It's the single biggest moment of your career.

Shane P. Hallam
02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I need to confirm this, but I didn't even think there can be a supplemental draft without the CBA either...

And the problem was that he DIDN'T file. He was a senior and figured he was fine, but since he was dismissed from the team, he has a year of eligibility left. That means he needed to file paperwork for it and didn't.

asdf1223
02-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Can he sign with an FCS team and not lose a year and come to the next draft? Or will the NCAA stop him from doing so?

Shane P. Hallam
02-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Can he sign with an FCS team and not lose a year and come to the next draft? Or will the NCAA stop him from doing so?

I believe it is too late for that.

scpanther22
02-04-2011, 01:28 PM
if a new CBA is done I would give up a 3rd or 4th to get him.

MI_Buckeye
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Wow!!! Has a player ever been out of football for two whole seasons going into a draft? Besides Maurice Clarett that is.

RaiderNation
02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Probably was a 5th, now I doubt he even makes a team

PossibleCabbage
02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I need to confirm this, but I didn't even think there can be a supplemental draft without the CBA either...

Well, once the CBA expires on March 4th (assuming the start of the new league year isn't pushed back a few weeks), the NFL has three options:

1) Lock the players out until a CBA is done. In this situation, the supplemental draft will almost certainly not happen.

2) Declare an impasse and unilaterally declare work-rules (which would basically the be NFL's last, best proposal to the players). This would be litigated in the courts, because it's potentially an anti-trust violation, but a supplemental draft could happen under these circumstances.

3) Allow the old rules to continue on into the new league year, which would allow for a supplemental draft. However, this won't happen because it would: a) create sheer chaos in free agency when a record number of folks become free agents overnight with the status of the franchise and transition tags are in dispute and b) give the union absolutely no incentive to actually negotiate a new deal.

#3 won't happen, #2 will only happen if the league and the union absolutely refuse compromise on key issues, and #1 is the most probable outcome.

With any luck though, we get a CBA well before the supplemental draft is supposed to happen, but it's a little too early to count on one happening this summer.

brasho
02-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL works to remedy this issue and grants this dummy a special one-time exception in light of the fact of the strange circumstances and the impending lockout.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
what do you expect out of a kid who has a clown for a dad like this?

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/saunders.jpg

wogitalia
02-04-2011, 09:50 PM
I find it amazing that you could mess this up so badly... If there weren't enough red flags around his character/intelligence already, he just added the biggest flag you will ever see to the collection.

ElectricEye
02-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Good player, but that's more than a little dumb. Certainly a candidate to be selected in the supplemental draft if there is one.

Mr.Regular
02-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Ugh, I want to like Saunders so badly too....Reminded me of Jermichael with all that potential...but just waaaay too many red flags to ignore, and now this.

If he can make it in the supplemental, maybe someone throws a 6 or 7 at him.. But I'm assuming the guy has serious character issues and he seems to be really dumb, so really what's the point? How the hell can you **** up your paperwork??

I hope he makes it though, he had a ton of talent.

Bosanac01
02-05-2011, 01:14 AM
falcons get him!

There is too much plastic distracting me that I have no idea what you're talking about.

underscore
02-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Assuming he'd still be academically eligible, he could transfer down (assuming the NCAA still finds him eligible)

brasho
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
There's always the CFL, UFL, and LFL (though I wouldn't want to see him running out there ruining my vision of the ladies).

Clarkw267
02-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Assuming he'd still be academically eligible, he could transfer down (assuming the NCAA still finds him eligible)

That's the issue... he's probably been in contact with an agent all year long since he assumed he was going to be in the draft. I think he's screwed.

Buffalo M
02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
He has 7th round gamble written all over him.

thefridge15
02-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Even if the NCAA rules him ineligible, he can transfer down to NAIA (completely different association), which is alot better than not playing football for a second straight year.

SimonRath
02-05-2011, 03:38 PM
There is too much plastic distracting me that I have no idea what you're talking about.

I just want a physical freak like Finley at te :(

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Why can't he sign as a UDFA?

Scott Wright
02-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I wonder who is representing Saunders.

Paperwork like that is something that is usually handled by an agent...

Mr. Goosemahn
02-06-2011, 01:31 AM
I wonder who is representing Saunders.

Paperwork like that is something that is usually handled by an agent...

It's this guy:

Durham attorney Butch Williams

Said so in an article.

brasho
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL works to remedy this issue and grants this dummy a special one-time exception in light of the fact of the strange circumstances and the impending lockout.

Bam! And just like that and he's eligible... like I said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/14/nfl-declares-weslye-saunders-eligible-for-april-draft/

SimonRath
02-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Bam! And just like that and he's eligible... like I said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/14/nfl-declares-weslye-saunders-eligible-for-april-draft/

what round do you think hes gonna go in?
i wouldnt mind the falcons taking a risk on him. wont happen though..

brasho
02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Round 5 possibly, he might sneak into round 4 if he runs like the wind and catches everything in sight and interviews well a la Mike Williams last season.

M.O.T.H.
02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
I always wanted to love the guy. I used to talk him up all the time. But he was just a bad apple with weight and stamina issues. That said, he put in tons of work to get into excellent shape for 2010. But alas, he never got to see the field. It will be interesting to see what kind of shape he is in these days.