Aldon Smith?
Cameron Jordan?
Muhammad Wilkerson?
JJ Watt?
Ryan Kerrigan?
Cameron Heyward?

Unbiased
02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
As much as I hate physical freaks, Robert Quinn. So smooth and effortless.

BeerBaron
02-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Not a Bowers fan? I think he should definitely be in the discussion.

Matthew Jones
02-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Of the guys you ranked:

Robert Quinn
Ryan Kerrigan
Cameron Jordan
Aldon Smith
JJ Watt
Adrian Clayborn

Wilkerson and Heyward aren't 4-3 DEs.

DeepThreat
02-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I gotta go Da'Quan Bowers. Quinn may have more potential as far as being an elite sack artist, but Bowers has more potential as an all around player. Quinn will never be a good player against the run, while Bowers may be excellent in that aspect. He also has the athleticism and ability to be a 10+ sack guy. Quinn may get more publicity, but Bowers should be better.

EDIT: Just saw other than Bowers. Then it's definitely Quinn. He has huge potential as a pass rusher, and in a passing league, that's the most important aspect of the game for a defensive end.

Unbiased
02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
"other than Bowers"

BeerBaron
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
"other than Bowers"

I need to pay more attention....

TheMorningZoo
02-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Ryan Kerrigan.

He is my favorite of all as a pure 4-3 DE. His weight was down at the Senior Bowl in the mid 250's, but he has played in the upper 260's (and he was showing his versatility for coaches in the 3-4 mindset).

He may never be a Julius Peppers or Mario Williams, but should be a stable and solid contributor for years a la Grant Winstrom or Patrick Kerney. He faced top competition in the Big 10 weak in and out, was productive, and really was a STUD on a team that has been on the downward spiral since Tiller left a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, guys like Bowers and Quinn are great athletes-but both have question marks. Bowers is a one year wonder who might not be a sack artist but a solid mainstay while Quinn is a freak but just missed a whole year.

Kerrigan is a good character kid with a high motor that gives a full effort every play. If he DOES NOT make it in the league it will be due to his physical limitations (size, speed, etc.) but I would not be surprised to see him in a few years as one of the better all-around Ends in the NFL.

I also do like J.J. Watt a lot, but he may be better suited in the 3-4-we will see. Heyward had a slump and is sort of along the lines as Watt but is more of a 3-4 prospect as a WHOLE. Cam Jordan is very intriguing and should be successful where ever he lines up, but I doubt of all the positions he can play (3-4 End, 4-3 DT, 4-3 END?) he would be best suited at LE-he is more a Darnell Docket type who should be inside in the 4-3, outside in the 3-4. Aldon Smith is raw but very talented and has a good head on his shoulders, he should do very well but may take some seasoning. Clayborn I am starting to fall off the bandwagon to be serious. His lack of production this year is a red flag, but moreso because he opted out of the Senior Bowl and apparently has motivation issues, an inconsistent motor and according to many Hawkeye fans was severely out of shape this year (usually gassed by halftime). No doubt he can pan out, but I think he is dropping to the end of Round 1 / Early Round 2 right now.

IMO:

Pure 4-3 End
1) Kerrigan
1 a) Quinn
2) Aldon Smith
3) Bowers ( I really don't like one year wonders)

SenorGato
02-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Qunn > Bowers

Cameron Jordan > Bowers

I'd go:

Quinn
Jordan
Kerrigan
Bowers
Smith

You might be able to flip Bowers and Kerrigan...

A Perfect Score
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Qunn > Bowers

Cameron Jordan > Bowers

I'd go:

Quinn
Jordan
Kerrigan
Bowers
Smith

You might be able to flip Bowers and Kerrigan...

This man knows the truth. Cam Jordan would be a stud LE in a 4-3. I'm not big on Bowers, I'd take Jordan, Quinn, and Kerrigan over him for sure.

Nebula
02-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Quinn is a better fit in a 3-4 as an OLB

I think Kerrigan might be the best 4-3 DE

GatorsBullsFan
02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Not a Bowers fan? I think he should definitely be in the discussion.

Bowers is already the best DE in this class 3-4 or 4-3...I was looking more for the next guy

TACKLE
02-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I know he's viewed by most as a 3-4 DE prospect, but I still really like him as a LE in a 4-3 who can kick inside on 3rd and long situations. He may not be the most explosive guy, but his get off is better than Bowers and he has great hand use, very good change of direction and his ability to dip low and turn the corner is very impressive for a guy his height. All I know is he's going to be a disruptive force wherever he lines up.

RaiderNation
02-05-2011, 01:18 AM
I have Cameron Jordan as a my #2 4-3 DE, Quinn is my #3 but I think a pass rusher in a 3-4 is his best fit. Jordan is also #2 for my 3-4 DE ranking, very good prospect.

AntoinCD
02-05-2011, 04:00 AM
Bowers is already the best DE in this class 3-4 or 4-3...I was looking more for the next guy

Oh I didn't realise they had declared that as fact just yet.

As a 43 DE Bowers lacks the burst and explosiveness to be an elite player. He has also only had one year of production. I think he will be a good player in the NFL but wont live up to his draft stock.

As a 34 DE Bowers will be eaten alive. He wont be able to anchor in the run game from the 5 tech position and NFL OTs and OGs will simply overpower him.

43:

Quinn
Kerrigan
Bowers
Smith
Jordan
Watt
Clayborn

34:

Jordan
Dareus
Heyward
Watt
Wilkerson
Clayborn
Ballard

Da'Quan Bowers should be nowhere near the 5 tech position in the NFL

Clarkw267
02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm not a big Bowers fan. Like others have stated, I just don't see the explosive first step needed to be a dominating pass rusher at the next level.

I like Quinn and Smith... I think both have unlimited potential, and depending on their weight/speed at the combine could take over the #1 spot.

ElectricEye
02-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Gotta echo the Cam Jordan 4-3 stuff. He's truly a defensive linemen with no scheme limitations. Might not be as natural a fit as some of the other guys, but the potential to kick him inside situationally is something that gives you a lot of flexibility.

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for Jordan at 27 for the Falcons. Not likely to happen, but that dude has super stud potential.

A Perfect Score
02-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for Jordan at 27 for the Falcons. Not likely to happen, but that dude has super stud potential.

I can't see him getting out of the Top 10 at this point, but if he managed too for whatever reason I'd imagine Baltimore would take him at 26. Oh dammit, now you've got me hoping!

descendency
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
JJ Watt has a brighter future at 43 RDE than most of the people listed, if not all, assuming he is drafted to play there.

SenorGato
02-05-2011, 10:17 PM
JJ Watt has a brighter future at 43 RDE than most of the people listed, if not all, assuming he is drafted to play there.

Good call...

Quinn
Jordan
Watt
Kerrigan
Bowers
Smith

And the first 3 are basically interchangeable since they'll all probably be good players.