PDA

View Full Version : Most Explosive WR in the Draft

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Not talking about the best WR, but who is the most explosive, who has the greatest potential to take a 10 yard slant 90 for a touchdown? Who can make something out of nothing, and has potential to be the #2 WR not just slot guy.

I'm a Falcons fan and honestly we're desperate for that #2 WR to take pressure off of Roddy and open up our offense to some big plays. I'd say that prevented us from being an elite offense this season.

I'd love to hear what you guys have to think. I know that Titus Young is getting a ton of praise right now, his name is hot, and his speed is real nice, but I don't think he's going to crack the first round.

A Perfect Score
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Titus Young is the hot name right now since he looked excellent at the Senior Bowl, but Jerrell Jernigan is going to cause alot of problems for people in the NFL as well. My money would be on one of those two.

Hurricanes25
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I would say Jerrel Jernigan and Torrey Smith.

ellsy82
02-05-2011, 05:36 PM
^

Torrey Smith would be my guess.

Don Vito
02-05-2011, 05:47 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gkKVpP-DdSw/SxmjULZAfAI/AAAAAAAAAmg/Zrxt5Gv4lC4/s640/julio-jones-p1.jpg

He might not time as well as Jernigan or Smith, but he is incredibly explosive on the field. I am a big Julio fan, he has the size to run through tackles along with the speed and athleticism to run by everyone. Jernigan is incredibly elusive and has serious speed, Torrey Smith has track speed, but if there is someone who can take a short pass for a TD I am taking Julio. He can run through, around, or by defenders.

thegreatone
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I think you mean YAC, and if thats the case, Dwayne Harris is a monster at that.

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Harris is exactly who I was thinking of as an under the radar guy. I know he's had trouble with drops, but he seems like if he can hold onto it he's got great ability

Duffman57
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Torry Smith would be the obvious guy.

A sleeper pick is Ricardo Lockette, who has legit sub 4.3 speed (and could really beat DHB's 4.24. He ran a 4.35 and was really angry at himself at an offseason training sesh. He said he's run as a 4.27 tons of times without seriously training for just the 40, which is something that he will be doing for the combine. ALot of these guys are just the "track stars" type, but according to what i've heard of him at the NFLPA game, unlike a guy like Kelton Tindal last year, he's really quick off the snap and is not a "build up speed" guy, but a guy who gets up to top speed very quickly. I'm really wondering why he went to Fort vally st, when he had a chance to go to Auburn. I haven't seen much of him, but he seems like he could be a really BIG steal.

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gkKVpP-DdSw/SxmjULZAfAI/AAAAAAAAAmg/Zrxt5Gv4lC4/s640/julio-jones-p1.jpg

He might not time as well as Jernigan or Smith, but he is incredibly explosive on the field. I am a big Julio fan, he has the size to run through tackles along with the speed and athleticism to run by everyone. Jernigan is incredibly elusive and has serious speed, Torrey Smith has track speed, but if there is someone who can take a short pass for a TD I am taking Julio. He can run through, around, or by defenders.

Julio isn't going to go past St. Louis I don't think. He's a guy I wish for in Atlanta, but thinking that's a pipe dream. I also wonder about him, he makes the insane grabs, and drops the easier stuff, always perplexing.

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Torry Smith would be the obvious guy.

A sleeper pick is Ricardo Lockette, who has legit sub 4.3 speed (and could really beat DHB's 4.24. He ran a 4.35 and was really angry at himself at an offseason training sesh. He said he's run as a 4.27 tons of times without seriously training for just the 40, which is something that he will be doing for the combine. ALot of these guys are just the "track stars" type, but according to what i've heard of him at the NFLPA game, unlike a guy like Kelton Tindal last year, he's really quick off the snap and is not a "build up speed" guy, but a guy who gets up to top speed very quickly. I'm really wondering why he went to Fort vally st, when he had a chance to go to Auburn. I haven't seen much of him, but he seems like he could be a really BIG steal.

Nice, love prospects like that.

nofalcons10
02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
denarius moore.

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
denarius moore.

I'd like him as a late round prospect, not getting a lot of buzz, but with the QB play at TN that's understandable.

Halsey
02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
BYTGn8cSLgQ

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 07:05 PM
BYTGn8cSLgQ

I think he's legit, no question the best WR in the draft, but I wouldn't classify him as the most explosive. I think he can do the most, but there are others out there that are more explosive.

Btw, that highlight is against Vandy...basically makes it irrelevant.

NotoriouZ
02-05-2011, 07:07 PM
randall cobb IMO.

Halsey
02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I think he's legit, no question the best WR in the draft, but I wouldn't classify him as the most explosive. I think he can do the most, but there are others out there that are more explosive.

Btw, that highlight is against Vandy...basically makes it irrelevant.

Yes, because highlights are only valid against top competition. That's too bad for WRs who don't play against top teams every week. Please don't bring Titus Young into this debate anymore, because he played WAC teams most weeks.

Don't over-analyze this one folks. There's a reason Green gets compared to Randy Moss. You're just trying to get cute when you argue someone else as more explosive. ;D

LizardState
02-05-2011, 07:17 PM

HOOOOO-LEE-YO the Great!!

Or Green or Jernigan. All 3 fit the mold of the 2011 NFL prototype receiver.

descendency
02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Randy Moss could have jogged backwards that fast. (reference to the AJ Green video)

Titus Young is a far more explosive guy.

the_dark_knight
02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, because highlights are only valid against top competition. That's too bad for WRs who don't play against top teams every week. Please don't bring Titus Young into this debate anymore, because he played WAC teams most weeks.

Don't over-analyze this one folks. There's a reason Green gets compared to Randy Moss. You're just trying to get cute when you argue someone else as more explosive. ;D

Green is not a 4.1 WR, sorry he's not. Moss is a freak, and any comparison to him is a joke.

Green is a monster, best all around, capable of big plays, but he's not the most explosive, I'd say he's got more Vincent Jackson than Moss

Duffman57
02-05-2011, 07:27 PM
HOOOOO-LEE-YO the Great!!

Or Green or Jernigan. All 3 fit the mold of the 2011 NFL prototype receiver.

ITS NOT JULIO! ITS QUINTORRIS THE GREAT! Your lucky he didn't have u stricken down for that....lol

nepg
02-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Jones is the most explosive WR. Depending on my team, I might prefer him over Green.

TitansCJftw
02-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Harris is exactly who I was thinking of as an under the radar guy. I know he's had trouble with drops, but he seems like if he can hold onto it he's got great ability

I think you mean YAC, and if thats the case, Dwayne Harris is a monster at that.

Harris is easily one of the most "explosive" wr's in this class however in reference to the op he isnt going to take a 10 yard slant and go 90 yards he doesnt have desean jackson speed he is gonna be a 4.5 guy(ill be interested in his split times), also he isnt really an outside receiver although his ceiling is a #2 in my opinion, he will start off in the slot for sure and possibly KR/PR, Harris is going to catch that bubble screen and explode for 15 yards in the blink of an eye but he doesnt have that top gear, also a devastating blocker for his size one of the toughest guys at wr in this draft

TitanHope
02-05-2011, 08:33 PM
and could really beat DHB's 4.24.

I don't think Heyward-Bey ever ran a 4.24. At least, not at the combine where he was only .01 slower. I think he went down as 4.30 in the end, though. Sorry for being nitpicky. It's just 4.24 is the record.

Who compared A.J. Green to Randy Moss?

Also, like the other guy said, posting a sole clip of Green taking one to the house against Vandy isn't saying much. Being capable and being the best at it are two different things. Take solace in the fact that Green is the best WR.

nepg
02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Eh...even if DHB *only* ran a 4.30, considering how much slower the current track is compared to what they used to run on at the combine... He probably runs a 4.24 at the RCA Dome.

SimonRath
02-05-2011, 08:50 PM

guess that means Colston wont be good in the NFL..

Hermstheman83
02-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Darrell Johnson Koulianos from Iowa. He's so fast he was able to run away from the Cops, with his cocaine! HEY OH!!!!

TitanHope
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Eh...even if DHB *only* ran a 4.30, considering how much slower the current track is compared to what they used to run on at the combine... He probably runs a 4.24 at the RCA Dome.

Nevertheless, 4.24 seconds is the record and DHB doesn't own it - Chris Johnson and Rondel Melendez do.

That's not to say DHB isn't wicked fast, and I wouldn't have even pointed it out to Duffman had it not been a significant time.

Duffman57
02-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Crap, i dont know what i was thinking there. I either put the wrong time, or the wrong guy, i think i meant to say CJ's 4.24. He could reach that depending on if he got a good run.

brat316
02-05-2011, 09:39 PM

I cant wait till the combine when Green runs low 4.3, RANDY MOSS comparison cha-ching. I would say 4.25, but since its a slow track.

brat316
02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
here is a cool list of unoffical times.

http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/5923/Sports++Recreation/NFLs+Unofficial+Fastest+40Yard+Dash+Times.aspx

87Canes
02-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Titus Young will not be able to keep up with the physicallity of NFL secondaries. He's not nowhere near DeSean Jackson's toughness.

I would say that Torrie Smith or JJ are the most explosive WRs in this draft.

SenorGato
02-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Another vote for Torrey Smith.

brat316
02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Titus Young will not be able to keep up with the physicallity of NFL secondaries. He's not nowhere near DeSean Jackson's toughness.

how do you determine toughness? If you said body wise I could agree a bit. I've never heard of him taking himself out of a game or nothing with not playing through injury or pain. please enlighten me.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I'll take Jernigan.

JustDezIT
02-06-2011, 01:31 AM

where the hell do you get that DeSean Jackson is tough? He's a *****.

He said he refuses to run routes down the middle after that Deunta Robinson hit. But yeah, he's tough. GTFO. Thats the dumbest thing I'v read on here...

RaiderNation
02-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Jernigan is my pick. He is going to make the most impact as a rookie out of all WR's, having a Percey Harvin like impact for a team. He is a fit a slot and got be used as a RB, KR, PR and QB in the wildcat. I expect him to run a top 3 40 at the combine, in the low 4.3's. Perfect fit to Atlanta in the 1st as their explosive weapon to go along with the beat Turner, White, TonyG and crew.

_azBQ0VooMA

Babylon
02-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Agree on Young, who looked timid to say the least in the Senior Bowl. If given a choice of the Boise receivers i'd rather have Pettis.

Torrie Smith looks the part of a speed receiver to me.

OSUGiants17
02-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Titus Young is my man-crush so I'll say him

ThePudge
02-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Titus Young - Boise State
Julio Jones - Alabama
and Randall Cobb - Kentucky

Would be my Top 3 most explosive receivers in this class.

armageddon
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
If Julio goes to the Rams, look the eff out.

Clarkw267
02-08-2011, 02:39 AM

He said he refuses to run routes down the middle after that Deunta Robinson hit. But yeah, he's tough. GTFO. Thats the dumbest thing I'v read on here...

+1 DeSean Jackson is the antithesis to tough ... Anyone that thinks he's tough needs to get their head checked.

JPP90
02-08-2011, 04:00 AM
My guess would be Jernigan or Titus Young. Slowest off the line is Jon Baldwin, hands down.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Keep an eye out for Joe Morgan as a late round to undrafted steal. Questionable hands and route running as well as size but incredible speed and big play ability. Reminds me of Anthony Armstrong.

TACKLE
02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
+1 DeSean Jackson is the antithesis to tough ... Anyone that thinks he's tough needs to get their head checked.

Agreed.

Though toughness for a WR is less important than ever. CB's are barely allowed to touch WR's, they can run cleanly through zones and they aren't allowed to hit them hard if they're defenseless.

gpngc
02-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Salute your ______.

SenorGato
02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Julio Jones is a good choice...if I had balls I'd have said him...but apparently I don't and went with the "he's got bad hands" crap...I don't even believe in the whole drops things 99% of the time...when my "board" is done I think he'll end up being my #1 WR.

87Canes
12-28-2013, 10:11 PM

Hey...that guy you said that wasn't tough name D-Jax, is still balling in the NFL while Titus Young got cut by the Lions for being a headcase.

Oh and I've never heard one peep about D-Jax being scared to run routes down the middle. The Dunta hit was more off the tackles side and not so "across the middle" to be honest.

Crickett
12-28-2013, 10:17 PM
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/506/necropost2.jpg