PDA

View Full Version : AKs Super Bowl morning mock (1 round)

akvikefan89
02-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Included comments for some picks:

1. Panthers: A.J. Green - WR - Georgia
(Panthers need Jimmy Clausen to become their franchise QB, and he won't have a chance without adding a significant weapon at WR.)

2. Broncos: Patrick Peterson - CB - LSU

3. Bills: Von Miller - OLB - Texas A&M

4. Bengals: Nick Fairley - DT - Auburn

5. Cardinals: Robert Quinn - OLB - North Carolina
(CB is a possibility, but Quinn will help their defense more than Amukamara. The Cardinals take Quinn here and plan to get a CB to pair with DRC next.)

6. Browns: Marcell Dareus - DE/DT - Alabama

7. 49ers: Prince Amukamara - CB - Nebraska

8. Titans: Blaine Gabbert - QB - Missouri
(With Fisher gone, the Titans can afford to take a new franchise QB to develop as the team transitions this year with a new head coach.)

9. TRADE --> Bucs (f/ Cowboys): Da'Quan Bowers - DE - Clemson
(I almost never predict trades, but this one made too much sense. The Cowboys are in an awful spot for value/need, and the Bucs are licking their chops at the chance to get Bowers. Trade compensation = Cowboys swapping #9 to the Bucs for their #20 and #52. Bucs came into the draft targeting DEs, and great a great one.)

10. Redskins: Jake Locker - QB - Washington
(I know some Redskins fans want Julio Jones here, but the Shanny/Locker rumors are too strong to ignore right now...)

11. Texans: Aldon Smith - OLB - Missouri

12. Vikings: Ryan Mallett - QB - Arkansas
(I go back and forth on what my Vikings will do here, but I think they have to take a QB unless a guy falls here that really is a great value. It's Newton vs. Mallett, and I go back and forth on that, too. Mallett may have character concerns, but many agree that Newton does as well. Mallett is a better pocket-passer, and his style of play seems to be more what Bill Musgrave has had success with and will look to build to offense around.)

13. Lions: Cameron Jordan - DE - California

14. Rams: Julio Jones - WR - Alabama

15. Dolphins: Cam Newton - QB - Auburn

16. Jaguars: Adrian Clayborn - DE - Iowa

17. Patriots (f/Raiders): Ryan Kerrigan - OLB - Purdue

18. Chargers: JJ Watt - DE - Wisconsin

19. Giants: Akeem Ayers - OLB - UCLA

20. TRADE --> Cowboys (f/ Bucs): Gabe Carimi - OT - Wisconsin
(Not only did this trade work out well for the Bucs, but for the Cowboys as well. They pick up a 2nd rounder, and get a nasty mauler of a RT in Carimi, filling a huge hole at an excellent value.)

21. Chiefs: Justin Houston - OLB - Georgia

22. Colts: Nate Solder - OT - Colarado

23. Eagles: Brandon Harris - CB - Miami

24. Saints: Mark Ingram - RB - Alabama
(The Saints have been playing RB musical chairs for awhile, and their offense would really go to another level with a dependable workhorse RB.)

25. Seahawks: Anthony Castonzo - OT - Boston College

26. Ravens: Aaron Williams - CB - Texas

27. Falcons: Cameron Heyward - DE - Ohio State

28. Patriots: Stefen Wisniewski - C - Penn State

29. Bears: Tyron Smith - OT - USC

30. Jets: Jon Baldwin - WR - Pittsburgh
(Looking likely that the Jets will be losing a WR, but they do well to pick up Baldwin who can step in and develop a chemistry with Sanchez.)

31. Packers: Derek Sherrod - OT - Mississippi State
(More important than this pick: Prediction that the Packers lose the SB.)

32. Steelers: Jimmy Smith - CB - Colorado

Razor
02-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Nice Patriots draft. You could argue for Sherrod or Wilkerson as well, but I like Wis.

prock
02-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I would be OK with Mallet. I don't love it, but I am fine with quarterback.

Chucky
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm usually not a fan of trade ups for the Bucs, because of how many needs they have but moving up for Bowers for only a second rounder would be unreal.

Go_Eagles77
02-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Perfect eagles pick.

49erNation85
02-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Love the SF pick.Would be hard to pass on Jones for a CB though.

ChicagoBearsVet23
02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Pouncey or Sherrod > Smith

Babylon
02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Seattle

Like the Castonzo pick, most people dont mock an O-lineman to the Hawks but they should because it is an area of concern for me, especially without a top corner available there.

I think you have the QBs slotted about right, Locker is and will be seeing his stock rise between now and draft day, Mallett is too talented to last past the middle of the first round and Newton is a gamble with only having played one year but a gamble worth taking.

The one i cant figure here is Gabbert, he has done nothing to deserve the love here and everywhere else and seems a protest pick in comparison to the rest. I think when he exposes himself to the process the average ability that he brings to the next level will come out although he is a 1st round talent i think.

T-RICH49
02-06-2011, 12:31 PM
love KC's pick

bored of education
02-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I would not be a sad panda if that happened for KC.

Matthew Jones
02-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I'd be very happy with that Patriots draft!

Seasonticketholder
02-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Great pick for the Saints! Fills a major need. Ingram paired with Reggie Bush and Chris Ivory would be deadly!

CJSchneider
02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we go RB in the first round, I will pick a fight. We need LB/DT/DE. We can wait until the third round when we have two picks to grab an RB. Addressing the front 7 is our priority.

jayceheathman
02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I would rather the Texans go with Julio Jones with the main defenders gone, but I could see them going with Aldon.

coordinator0
02-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Aaron Williams is pretty meh with Heyward and Smith on the board.

Seasonticketholder
02-06-2011, 10:03 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we go RB in the first round, I will pick a fight. We need LB/DT/DE. We can wait until the third round when we have two picks to grab an RB. Addressing the front 7 is our priority.

Let me be the Saints fan who disagrees. I am all for upgrading our defense. Obviously, our front seven needs improvement. But when we made it to the Superbowl, we had great play at quarterback and a very solid running game to keep the pressure off Drew. Since 2006, except for that Superbowl season, our rushing offense has ranked 28th or lower. The difference between this team getting to the Superbowl that one year was a strong rushing attack.

I think it is a mistake to go into the draft thinking we "have" to have a DE/DT/LB in round 1. That sort of thinking can lead to drafting a reach. There are some guys I like in this draft at some of these positions. But I would be more concerned about the Saints reaching to grab the 5th or 6th rated DE over the top RB when RB is a need for us. If Ryan Kerrigan is on the board, and it is between Kerrigan and Ingram, then I think we have a debate. But if it is Ingram and, say, Bailey or Heyward or even Watt (to some degree), then my money is clearly on Ingram.

We have four picks in the top three rounds. If the Saints came away with, say, Mark Ingram, Jarvis Jenkins, Bruce Carter and Kelvin Sheppard, would you be upset? I would not. We need a NT more so than we need a guy like Paea or Luiget. Guys like Jenkins and Sione Fua will be there in the second/third. And thing is, Paea could be there in the second. A guy like Heyward might also slip because of injury. But let's look at a LB like Bruce Carter. He would carry a first round grade if not for the injury. He would fill a need.

To me, a first round, front-seven player does not necessarily solve our problem. The key is addressing the front-seven in the first three rounds. Other than Sed Ellis, we have not done that at all. I would be upset and want to fight if we go three rounds and don't at least two front seven players in our first four picks.

Finally, let's not discount free agency. The Saints almost made a trade during last year's draft for Barry Coefield. I would not be suprised to see them pursue him. In addition, Charles Johnson of the Panthers might be available. Carolina has three really key free agents in Ryan Kalil, Charles Johnson and Deangelo Williams. There's some rumblings that Kalil will be the guy that gets franchised, which fits in with Jerry Richardson's frugality. If Charles Johnson is available, you pursue that guy because he's young and would fill your biggest need at DE. Now, you could say why not pursue Williams? True. I like Williams. But he'll be 28 by the time the season starts, which is scary since backs can go down hill pretty quickly. To me, the key is getting better and younger. Mark Ingram and the 24-year-old Charles Johnson does that much more than, say, even Ryan Kerrigan and the soon to be 28-year-old Williams.

toddmlazarchick
02-07-2011, 10:24 AM
The Shanahan/Locker rumors are from last year.