PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse OGs in the 1st Round?

JohnCandy
02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/02/07/mock-draft-10

This mock has OG Clint Boling and OG Danny Watkins as 1st round picks. Is there any chance that this happens?

Grizzlegom
02-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I can understand Watkins but no way Boling makes it into the first. IMO, Cannon, Wisniewski, Pouncey, Watkins, and maybe Ijalana are the only guys that might be able to sneak into the first on the interior line. None of them are sure-fire 1st rounders and Cannon/Ijalana will need to have big combines to legitimately get in the mix (and both still might even project at OT)

regoob2
02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
1% chance.

Shane P. Hallam
02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Both are possible, but I see both as more 2nd round this year. Watkins age could be a slight factor and though Boling has played well, but isn't a dominating guard.

LizardState
02-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Both are possible, but I see both as more 2nd round this year. Watkins age could be a slight factor and though Boling has played well, but isn't a dominating guard.

That's true about Boling, several teams need OGs but won't take them int the 1st, e.g, the 9ers w/ the new Harbaugh regime are going to dump Chilo Rachal, will need a new OG or center, & I think Leonard Davis is done in Dallas after his epic fail in game after game last season.

Wisniewski with his center/OG versatility is the only name that comes to mind who could sneak into the late 1st besides Boling, who might be a luxury pick for a playoff team in the late 1st rd. Not Watkins.

Clarkw267
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Cannon
Pouncey
Watson
Hudson

Those are the guys I think could sneak into the bottom of round 1. Each is a unique type of interior lineman.

RWills
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
of all NFL raft sites I hold PFW very high

JohnCandy
02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Cannon
Pouncey
Watson
Hudson

Those are the guys I think could sneak into the bottom of round 1. Each is a unique type of interior lineman.

I think Ijalana will come into the late 1st round conversation as well, but I would be shocked to see Watkins [27 years old] and Boling [Not overly dominant] making it into the 1st.

lowlife
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Tyron Smith to Tampa Bay... What?

Back on topic. I could see Ben Eej sneaking in or maybe someone falls in love with Cannon's feet and size.

TACKLE
02-08-2011, 12:48 PM
If I had to pick one dark horse guard who goes in the 1st, it would be Ben Ijalana.

Watkins is interesting. I'm sold that he's a first round talent but we don't know how much stock teams will put into his age.

Matthew Jones
02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Russ Lande called, he wants his mock draft back.

princefielder28
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Watkins is a nice player but at his age he's not going to be a first round selection and Boling should never even sniff the first round because there's at least five guys at guard who are better football players than he is. Cannon and Pouncey are the two guards I see as potential first rounders.

RaiderNation
02-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Only OG's that deserve some consideration for the 1st are Cannon and Pouncey.

regoob2
02-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Who do you think would possibly take Clint Boling in the 1st?

Scott Wright
02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Like both, especially Watkins, but I'll bet neither ends up in the first round...

Babylon
02-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Who do you think would possibly take Clint Boling in the 1st?

Nobody. I do like Boling though, he was about all Matt Stafford had blocking for him his last two years and he could play RT if you needed him to. I think you have to wait on a guard till the 2nd or 3rd. New England with so many picks has their name come up any time there is a conversation about someone going someplace so just insert their name in there.

UKfan
02-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I dont get the Pouncey love, he is a good player, but not a patch on his brother and not a first rounder IMO

brasho
02-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't understand the over love for overaged linemen prospects.

Take for example, Gaines Adams. I was screaming till I was blue in the face that he would be a monstrous bust because it took him 6 years after high school to be dominant in the ACC. He was essentially a man playing amongst boys.

Look at Adams' history:

Year 1,he didn't qualify out of high school and played at a prep school.
Year 2, he was redshirted at Clemson
Year 3, he played sparingly for Clemson and never started a game despite being at an age where most 1st round picks are well into their successful runs in college
Season 4, he finally earned a starting job very late in the season and was impressive enough that he was named a starter for the next season. Players that graduated high school the same year he did and were not redshirted were seniors at this point.
Season 5, he was the Clemson starter at the boundary DE spot. He played pretty well, well enough to be considered a preseason All-ACC pick. The remaining players that finished high school with him were 5th year seniors and were gone... Adams was just then going into his senior season.
Season 6, Adams finally became dominant. Leading the ACC in most of the important DL stats... of course much of that had to do with the fact that he was 24 years old (the physical peak for a male is 25 years old) dominating guys 20-22 years old... meaning Adams had 2-4 years extra time in the weight room, 2-4 years more experience, 2-4 years to refine his technique.

This is a big deal. Danny Watkins could be a good player... but his physical ceiling is right now. He won't be getting bigger, he won't be getting stronger, he won't be getting faster, he is as good physically as he ever will be (obviously he can get a little bigger, stronger, faster, but his prime years to do this are over).

There can be instances where overaged prospects can succeed (Austin Collie), but in positions that are so reliant on strength, power, and speed, I don't see it happening. The advantage of being quite a bit older, more mature, more experienced, and physically stronger than other players can be a big one. I last played college ball at 23, yet 5 years later I was 15-20 lbs heavier, a ton stronger, .15 faster in the 40, and far smarter. You have to factor this in when evaluating talents like Watkins and Adams.

brasho
02-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh, and one other thing. We're talking OGs here. Unless the guy is a future hall-of-fame type player (the Suh of OGs), I don't think an OG should be drafted in round 1.... and I'm not a big fan of OGs in round 2 either. NFL history is littered full of good OGs that went undrafted, possibly more than any other position, i just don't see the value in taking an OG when you can find good and even great ones from round 4 and on.

xxxxxxxx
02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
That draft is god awful..

SenorGato
02-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Boling is going to be the OL equivalent of a Chris Hoke or Mike Wright or Mike DeVito in the NFL...I really like him as some team's 6th OL who can backup at G and T...and he's got starter upside at G...that said, he's not a first round pick...though I do think guys like him are getting more love.

Babylon
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Boling is going to be the OL equivalent of a Chris Hoke or Mike Wright or Mike DeVito in the NFL...I really like him as some team's 6th OL who can backup at G and T...and he's got starter upside at G...that said, he's not a first round pick...though I do think guys like him are getting more love.

Clint Boling is much higher profile athlete than the guys you've mentioned. Those guys arent starting 4 years at Georgia and or going to the Senior bowl.

SenorGato
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Clint Boling is much higher profile athlete than the guys you've mentioned. Those guys arent starting 4 years at Georgia and or going to the Senior bowl.

Very true...believe me he's one of my favorite OL in this draft....when I made an Eric Steinbach comp I was told I was overrated him so I've tempered down.

Thanks Leinart
02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
This draft is a joke. They don't have Robert Quinn in the 1st round. I wouldn't take it seriously. Not to mention all the reaches, like JJ Watt at 9? I don't think so.

Big Black
02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Though he doesn't have top-flight measurables, I could definitely see a situation where Rodney Hudson gets drafted in the first round. He's versatile enough to play both OG or C and a zone blocking team could use a guy like Hudson.

JohnCandy
02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I would view Marcus Cannon, and his unique physical skill set, as a 1st rounder before either of these guys.

will99890
02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Cannon for upside, Hudson for ability and versatility. Anyone else isn't realistic IMO.

Iamcanadian
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
The only OG with 1st round talent is Watkins who really hasn't played a lot of football and whose upside is immense. However at his age, he will go in round 2 and be a beautiful player for 5-7 years IMO. The other guys mentioned are more likely to see rounds 2 or 3 at best.
Ben Ijalana could be a sleeper but he is going to have to have a terrific Combine to get there.

JohnCandy
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Does anyone think that Rodney Hudson has a chance to creep into the 1st round if he shows he can play C?

What if he show up at the combine at 300lbs?

I think that people are undervaluing Marcus Cannon especially if he shows that ha can get his weight down to the 335lb. range.