PDA

View Full Version : Jake Locker Interview

Scott Wright
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Interview with Washington QB Jake Locker
http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Jake-Locker/Jake-Locker.php

Babylon
02-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Locker always comes across as a class individual, something the rest of the top QBs coming out are going to have to convince the scouts of.

49erNation85
02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the interview Scott.I really hope SF still drafts but I dunno.People think 7 is way too.I still think he is far more ahead then Newton and Gabbert IMO.Hes the only first round guy who could come in and start day one and do good depending on where he lands.

ElectricEye
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Still my favorite prospect in the draft. If he doesn't work out in the NFL it won't be because of intangibles and what kind of individual he is.

D-Unit
02-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I get that he works hard, but it doesn't sound like he cares that much.

Like for some reason, I think if he were to flake out of the NFL, that he wouldn't really care because he would be satisfied with himself that he tried.

D-Unit
02-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Still my favorite prospect in the draft. If he doesn't work out in the NFL it won't be because of intangibles and what kind of individual he is.
Depending on your definition of intangibles.

He's definitely not the Alpha Male type. Personally, I like that in a QB.

A Perfect Score
02-08-2011, 06:26 PM

Like for some reason, I think if he were to flake out of the NFL, that he wouldn't really care because he would be satisfied with himself that he tried.

I don't get that at all. I understand that you hate him, but he specifically says that he loves everything about the game. How much more blinding evidence do you need then that? He passed up millions of dollars in baseball that would have been alot easier to come by in order to pursue a career in football. That seems like someone who cares about the sport in general.

Jesus some of the stuff you say just boggles my mind.

Babylon
02-08-2011, 06:32 PM

I didnt get that at all D and i've never got that impression over the last 7 years that i've followed him. Forget what comes out of his mouth, which was nothing but class, he played half the year with a broken rib. Some guys take the whole year off with less of an injury than that.

He's a lunch pail guy, his dad is a dry waller and his grandfather worked in a pulp mill.You arent going to ever have to question effort or dedication with Locker.

D-Unit
02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't get that at all. I understand that you hate him, but he specifically says that he loves everything about the game. How much more blinding evidence do you need then that? He passed up millions of dollars in baseball that would have been alot easier to come by in order to pursue a career in football. That seems like someone who cares about the sport in general.

Jesus some of the stuff you say just boggles my mind.
I know he cares about the sport. But I don't think the sport defines him, is what I mean. If he flakes out, I'm sure he'll be more than happy working with his dad doing dry wall.

I don't hate him. I just don't believe in him. There's a difference.

If he's coached up right and put in the perfect scenario then I think he's got a chance, but I won't know until I see which team drafts him.

D-Unit
02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I didnt get that at all D and i've never got that impression over the last 7 years that i've followed him. Forget what comes out of his mouth, which was nothing but class, he played half the year with a broken rib. Some guys take the whole year off with less of an injury than that.

He's a lunch pail guy, his dad is a dry waller and his grandfather worked in a pulp mill.You arent going to ever have to question effort or dedication with Locker.
I thought you said he doesn't care about money because he comes from a rich family??? Now he's a lunch pail guy from the school of hard knocks???

stephenson86
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I know he cares about the sport. But I don't think the sport defines him, is what I mean. If he flakes out, I'm sure he'll be more than happy working with his dad doing dry wall.

I don't hate him. I just don't believe in him. There's a difference.

If he's coached up right and put in the perfect scenario then I think he's got a chance, but I won't know until I see which team drafts him.

I agree with you 100%. He does seem like he loves football and will give it his best shot but if it doesn't pan out he will not be totally torn to pieces.

nepg
02-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Eh...I don't disagree with D-UNIT on Locker's mentality towards football, but I do disagree on whether or not it's a desirable trait.

I don't think he has much of a different attitude to the game than Tom Brady. He's been an alpha athlete his entire life and grew up in a stable home, and there's not much that excites him about sports apart from winning because everything else comes so naturally.

He's more interested in wins and losses than his own stats and obviously doesn't pay any mind to stats. It's the type of personality that will net his team a lot of success in the playoffs.

Babylon
02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought you said he doesn't care about money because he comes from a rich family??? Now he's a lunch pail guy from the school of hard knocks???

I never said he came from money, i did say his family was middle class. Dad a blue collar job and football coach.I might of said his decision to come back wasnt based on money and he did get 300k for signing with the Angels. No he doesnt come from money.

These arguments seem to surface when someone doesnt like a player. Matthew Stafford was not going to care because he came from money.....to me these guys dont get to this point if they dont care about football 100%.

Babylon
02-08-2011, 06:58 PM
I agree with you 100%. He does seem like he loves football and will give it his best shot but if it doesn't pan out he will not be totally torn to pieces.

So the guy should fall on a sword if he doesnt make it in football? that's the criteria we're looking for here?, color me amazed at this whole conversation.

D-Unit
02-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I never said he came from money, i did say his family was middle class. Dad a blue collar job and football coach.

These arguments seem to surface when someone doesnt like a player. Matthew Stafford was not going to care because he came from money.....to me these guys dont get to this point if they dont care about football 100%.
Maybe it wasn't you then, but there were definitely some out there making the case that he didn't declare last year because his family was already weathly so money wasn't important.

I guess it's whatever story makes the most sense for the day works best.

A Perfect Score
02-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Maybe it wasn't you then, but there were definitely some out there making the case that he didn't declare last year because his family was already weathly so money wasn't important.

I guess it's whatever story makes the most sense for the day works best.

Well this is the argument with Luck, but Ive never heard the same with Locker on these boards or otherwise.

stephenson86
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
So the guy should fall on a sword if he doesnt make it in football? that's the criteria we're looking for here?, color me amazed at this whole conversation.

No, what I'm saying is that football is not going to be the be all and end all of his life, like it is for a lot of people. If I were drafted into the NFL and didn't pan out then that would rip me in two for the rest of my life. I just worry slightly about the guy and how much he truly cares about football, so what he picked it over BB, I just get an iffy feeling that he could turn his back on football if the going got tough too easily. But hey I like the guy but I wouldn't want him on my team (used too but not any more).

Babylon
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Well this is the argument with Luck, but Ive never heard the same with Locker on these boards or otherwise.

I think there was a poster or two saying Jake came from money, insert any white QB probably that comes from a stable home.

It just doesnt make sense to me to bring up some of these discussions, there was someone even trying to compare Jake's "bad decision" to come back to Cam Newton's "bad decision" with the whole laptop issue. At some point you get a dent in your forehead from banging it on the wall.

TitanHope
02-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Interview with Washington QB Jake Locker
http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Jake-Locker/Jake-Locker.php

Man, what flawless typing! I mean, I don't usually notice that thing, but for some reason it just jumped out at me this time!

Congratulations on locating the savant that this genius work belongs to!

FUNBUNCHER
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I think it was Joe Montana who said, "I care about football, but I don't care THAT much."

Football IMO should be a part of the big picture for an athlete, but it shouldn't be the entire picture.

There's a difference between being passionate about the game, which clearly Locker is or he would have chosen baseball, and being obsessed about the game.

Be a professional and do everything you can to prepare to win on Sundays. I want a player who literally feels psychological pain from losing more so than someone who's singularly obsessed with the game of football.

Michael Jordan might suck in pads and a helmet, but you just know he's going to play his ass off because of his competitive nature.

Locker has the heart and head IMO, but is that innate, raw ability to play the position at the highest level there with him??

From the 10th pick on down, I think Locker is a value pick for a team needing a QB.

ElectricEye
02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
It's never fair to question an athletes heart for anything not on the field.

Dump on JD Drew for going half ass and not wanting to play? Fine.

Dump on Jay Cutler for doing the pouty pout on the sidelines? Fine. (although you shouldn't dump on him for playing through an absolute crap offensive line and enduring punishing hits all year and getting up)

Dump on Locker because of some text(which it looks like you're reading the way you want to because everyone else on the planet disagrees with you about his intangibles) in an interview when everything on the field(playing through concussions, broken ribs, showing courage playing behind a crap line) is evidence to the contrary? Eh. Who are we to question a guys heart? Unless it's an obscenely obvious situation, it's sort of irresponsible and pointless.

Besides, this isn't a movie. We're not going to see a guys eyes glimmer with fiery intensity and then go out there and play better. A cool, even head is desirable for the quarterback position even. Some guys legitimately don't have the right temperament for it(See Ryan Leaf).

As far as the money thing, I did hear that last year but I'm not sure from where. I thought that was the case but I guess not? Who knows. Maybe the drywall business is booming. I certainly don't have access to his families finances.

Scott Wright
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Man, what flawless typing! I mean, I don't usually notice that thing, but for some reason it just jumped out at me this time!

Congratulations on locating the savant that this genius work belongs to!

That was excellent transcribing! :o)

gutman54
02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I think the line that says the most about him, is where he told scott he was going to buy groceries with his first paycheck. Now was he being serious? I don't know, but even with this answer it would seem to appear that he is very grounded, either a good sense of humor, or a proof that money doesn't matter. That too me tells me that regardless of everything else, he is willing to work hard, that money won't go to his head, and he will find his niche somewhere. I was never really a fan of Locker, until that line.

AS11toFG21
02-09-2011, 12:34 AM
How did I know someone would criticize him in this thread?

Thanks for the interview, Scott. Guy's got a great head on his shoulders.

SilentJaguar
02-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Great interview, Scott. I really would love to see this kid in teal next season.

niel89
02-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Nice interview, sound like a good guy. Not someone who will flip out when he gets money and success.

I do think that he has the competitive fire to be successful. I remember during his sophomore year when he broke his hand, he wanted to have his coach let him play some safety. He just wanted to get on the field and help anyway he could.

proshoota25
02-09-2011, 02:31 AM
great interview. favorite part was "what are you gunna do with your first paycheck? Groceries." maddd funny lol i laughed

JPP90
02-09-2011, 02:35 AM
This is the last guy that should be interviewed for this site. Play to your audience Scott...interview Newton and Tyrod Taylor.

Flyboy
02-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Still one of my favorite prospects in the draft...

stephenson86
02-09-2011, 07:26 AM
How did I know someone would criticize him in this thread?

Thanks for the interview, Scott. Guy's got a great head on his shoulders.

Far be it from me to voice an opinion...on an open message board...I will in future refrain from saying anything remotely outside of the majority view.

Babylon
02-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Far be it from me to voice an opinion...on an open message board...I will in future refrain from saying anything remotely outside of the majority view.

I wouldnt say you shouldnt go against the grain, to me we need more of that. The thing i felt was there is enough to criticize with the guy's production and footwork, we dont need to be dreaming up stuff.

stephenson86
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I wouldnt say you shouldnt go against the grain, to me we need more of that. The thing i felt was there is enough to criticize with the guy's production and footwork, we dont need to be dreaming up stuff.

Yea but the thing is I'm not dreaming up stuff, its not like I only just learned who Locker was I have read lots on him since the start of his junior year and that's the impression I get. D-Unit saying what he said was exactly what I felt about him as well so I merely agreed with him. No dreaming hear...call it more of a feeling he gives me in my gut, whenever I read things about him (interviews and the like).

Babylon
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Yea but the thing is I'm not dreaming up stuff, its not like I only just learned who Locker was I have read lots on him since the start of his junior year and that's the impression I get. D-Unit saying what he said was exactly what I felt about him as well so I merely agreed with him. No dreaming hear...call it more of a feeling he gives me in my gut, whenever I read things about him (interviews and the like).

Fair enough. I've followed Locker since his sophomore year in HS as he played at Ferndale high which is up I-5 from where i live. I personally have never seen a better young man in terms of dealing with all the junk that goes with being a great athlete at whatever level it was. I'd say him and Taylor Mays of all the kids that have come out of the northwest have impressed me the most and i attribute that to both kids parents.

stephenson86
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Fair enough. I've followed Locker since his sophomore year in HS as he played at Ferndale high which is up I-5 from where i live. I personally have never seen a better young man in terms of dealing with all the junk that goes with being a great athlete at whatever level it was. I'd say him and Taylor Mays of all the kids that have come out of the northwest have impressed me the most and i attribute that to both kids parents.

I get that, I just don't feel like I could entirely trust the guy really (I hope I'm wrong as I love him as a prospect), I would just worry about drafting him. Hope he pans out though as the kid is a great baller.

Bucs_Rule
02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Seems like a really nice guy.

I personally wouldn't draft a guy with such a low completion percentage given how high a bust rate guys with similar completion percentages do.

Hopefully he bucks the trend.

AS11toFG21
02-09-2011, 06:29 PM

I actually didn't see your comments as being all that critical. I was talking more about D Unit claiming that Locker "doesn't care that much."

I do love how, in your post suggesting that you should have the right to disagree with me, you're implicitly suggesting that I shouldn't have the right to disagree with you. If you're allowed to post an unpopular opinion, I should be allowed to post a response.

JPP90
02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I actually didn't see your comments as being all that critical. I was talking more about D Unit claiming that Locker "doesn't care that much."

I do love how, in your post suggesting that you should have the right to disagree with me, you're implicitly suggesting that I shouldn't have the right to disagree with you. If you're allowed to post an unpopular opinion, I should be allowed to post a response.

I'm amazed only 1 guy spoke up for the pack...I give the critics credit for being decent enough to stay off this thread since they have nary a good word to say about him. I expected this thread to be 10 pages long when I signed on tonight.

TitanHope
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Can we get a "Like" or "Share" feature for some of these things?