PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallet a 3rd Round Prospect at Best?

Zello
02-09-2011, 07:09 AM
According to guys like Adam Caplan and Albert Breer, all of those pesky "off the field" issues will turn off every team in the NFL from picking Mallet in the first round.

Mel Kiper has even removed Mallet from his Big Board.

Adam Caplan says:

http://twitter.com/caplannfl - "Wouldn't shock me to see Mallett fall to the 3rd."

Day One Pick
02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I think there's enough teams in need of a quarterback to allow him to atleast be selected some time in the 2nd round. Aside from the teams looking for a starter, there's a few teams in need of an heir apparent to groom for the future or in need of a capeable backup.

jrdrylie
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't think he'll fall all the way to the third round, but I think after interviews at the combine, he'll be a second round prospect in most people's eyes. A lot of teams (Jacksonville for sure) will ocmpletely take him off their boards. I think a good landing spot is Cincinnati. They always take guys with character issues.

xpmar9x
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
He won't make it past the Titans in the 2nd round (assuming no QB is taken Rd1)

Matthew Jones
02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
I see him as a second rounder at this point. Cincinnati at #35 makes sense, and if not then maybe Tennessee or Minnesota (if they pass on QBs in round one, which I'm currently not projecting.)

Halsey
02-09-2011, 08:50 AM
I love QBs and I don't think Mallett is first round material, at this point. Intelligence questions, combined with poor mobility and pocket presence, are not good signs.

keylime_5
02-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Mallett is definitely a first round pick if he doesn't have the character issues. Too bad for him he's a doofus. Some team will take him in round 2 at worst IMO, it's worth the risk of taking a guy with all the tools to be a pro bowl QB with only a 2nd round pick, too much upside.

JoeJoeBrown
02-09-2011, 09:08 AM
What are the rumored character/off the field issues? That is, other than having attended Michigan at one point in his career.

I saw him act like a little ***** when he was hit in the Sugar Bowl, so I could see that he might be immature.

AntoinCD
02-09-2011, 09:09 AM
What are the rumored character/off the field issues? That is, other than having attended Michigan at one point in his career.

I saw him act like a little ***** when he was hit in the Sugar Bowl, so I could see that he might be immature.

Rumoured hard drug use is one I have heard.

SolidGold
02-09-2011, 09:16 AM
I still think Mallet is first round material. I think he matured a lot this past year, he did let his emotions get the best of him at times when he would get frustrated but overall he seemed like more of a team player, supporting teammates (like when he was knocked out of the Auburn game). Watching the skills challenge last weekend he seemed legitimately excited to be there competing and having fun.

His game improved vastly from his sophomore to junior years, his arm is amazing and some team will fall in love with it, his accuracy is pretty good but he does get flustered under pressure.

I have heard the rumors of hard drug use too, I think most of his stock will be dependent upon how he performs at the combine and addresses those issues with GMs/Scouts/Coaches during one on one interviews.

descendency
02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Rumor is he is a Ryan Leaf type locker room cancer waiting to happen.

JoeJoeBrown
02-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys. Had no idea about the drugs/locker room cancer stuff.

FUNBUNCHER
02-09-2011, 10:41 AM
It's a shame how rumors can revolve around a prospect that are based very little on actual facts.

Let's say the drug rumors turn out to be completely without merit. What other potential character issues are there that could possibly drop a top 10 talent into the 2nd round??

Another thing, why is a fiery temperament good for some guys like Tom Brady, but a huge red flag for a prospect like Mallett???

For Kiper to say he's removing a physical talent like Mallett completely off his board, someone whom I regard as a significantly better QB prospect than someone like Gabbert, makes me wonder if there's something swirling out there about Mallett that scouts are unwilling to disclose in the media???

Or is this just a bunch of BS being tossed at the guy for no good reason??

AntoinCD
02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
I think when it's all said and done he will wind up a second round pick. He has major character concerns, accuracy and touch issues, intelligence questions etc. But at the end of the day he has some serious physical tools and some team will take a chance on him. He issues on the field are fixable with the right coach. He does have top 5 ability but to be a QB you need as much in the way of intangibles off the field as you do physical attributes.

ThePudge
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Mel Kiper's Big Board includes only 25 prospects, meaning it's not saying much that he left Ryan Mallett off it. I think people should pump the brakes on all this drug/character stuff before the NFL Combine. No one knows the facts and worse yet, no one knows where these rumors are even coming from. They may very well be true and if that's the case, it will surely be a red flag. Still, if there are things that are firmly in his past, I don't think the NFL will crucify him over it. He's grown up a whole lot from his High School/Michigan days and aside from occasional frustration on the field, he seems to have a great command of the huddle & respect from his teammates/coaches.

I don't see him dropping to the 3rd. Until I hear from well-respected sources or inside information from Arkansas, I'll remain convinced he belongs in the First Round in this poor class. The NFL Combine interview process will likely turn up what we want to know.

TheFinisher
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Mallett has the best arm in the class, no way he slips to the 3rd.

JoeJoeBrown
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Mel Kiper's Big Board includes only 25 prospects, meaning it's not saying much that he left Ryan Mallett off it. I think people should pump the brakes on all this drug/character stuff before the NFL Combine. No one knows the facts and worse yet, no one knows where these rumors are even coming from. They may very well be true and if that's the case, it will surely be a red flag. Still, if there are things that are firmly in his past, I don't think the NFL will crucify him over it. He's grown up a whole lot from his High School/Michigan days and aside from occasional frustration on the field, he seems to have a great command of the huddle & respect from his teammates/coaches.

I don't see him dropping to the 3rd. Until I hear from well-respected sources or inside information from Arkansas, I'll remain convinced he belongs in the First Round in this poor class. The NFL Combine interview process will likely turn up what we want to know.

Actually, the rumor that I just heard involved him snorting the finest grade corn flour out of the belly button of a 400-lb IHOP waitress and then having a threeway with her and an Arkansas state fair blue ribbon Berkshire sow.

That's just the alleged rumor that I was supposedly told. Probably.

Babylon
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM

I agree. We are probably among the few that has stuck with this guy in a year where he actually was pretty special.

To me Mallett has the best arm out there and i'll say it's up there with anyone at the next level too. Mobility doesnt help but he's big enough to be able to shake people off in the pocket. The guy comes off in interviews as a bit of a wise guy but that may just be his nature.

In a year where all the top QBs have issues i wouldnt throw the book at this guy for some indiscretion he might have had when he was a kid. Probably because of competition at that position and his supposed baggage he probably goes early second round to someone like the Buffalo Bills.

scottyboy
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Mallett has the best arm in the class, no way he slips to the 3rd.

he may have the strongest, but he definately does not have the best.

yourfavestoner
02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
The "hard drug use" isn't really a rumor, as I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he was charged for possession of cocaine during his public intox arrest. I could be wrong, though.

Now, is using cocaine the end of the world? Does it make you a bad person? No. Trust me, though, that drug has a funny habit of changing people, and it's never for the better.

TheFinisher
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM

I'd say he has the best arm, and it's not close when he has time in the pocket.

jrdrylie
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM

My brother and I both lived in Texarkana for about a year. My brother lived there when Mallet was a senior at Texas High. I lived there up until last August. We both heard rumors from a lot of people around town about his drug use.

TACKLE
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM

The BEST arm in the NFL????? This one. :D

http://baltimore.sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Kansas_City_Chiefs_12fd1.jpg

TheFinisher
02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
The BEST arm in the NFL????? This one. :D

http://baltimore.sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Kansas_City_Chiefs_12fd1.jpg

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lesa87N7IX1qg7ky2o1_400.gif

TACKLE
The "hard drug use" isn't really a rumor, as I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he was charged for possession of cocaine during his public intox arrest. I could be wrong, though.

Yeah I think I've read that as well.

AntoinCD
I think you mean this one

http://cache.heraldinteractive.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/connolly-stiff-arm.JPG

descendency
02-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Another thing, why is a fiery temperament good for some guys like Tom Brady, but a huge red flag for a prospect like Mallett???

Why is it called "desperate" when one guy tells a girl to have sex with him but when another guy does it, it's a "turn-on"?

ThePudge
02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Ok. Well that clears one "rumor" up then. I'm sure that's something the NFL will examine very closely. I'm not sure he brought his drug use to college (or to Arkansas more importantly.) He's going to need to lay it all on the table and be mature about taking responsibility for his past actions. He's not the most intelligent guy, but I don't think he's as dumb as a rock either. I've always said with he and Newton, what I really can't wait to find out is how they will conduct themselves in this draft-process, notably in the interview/mental evaluation process.

I will say this, and I've said it before: Ryan Mallett is the most pro-ready passer in this class. Out of all the QBs in this draft, I think Mallett is the one that could start right away. He's just a much more polished pocket passer than the others with a sturdier presence. He may lack polished footwork back there, but he at least looks comfortable in the pocket and looks comfortable throwing from the pocket. He'd surely have his fair share of int's and probably a very low->average completion %, but I don't think it would stunt his growth to play Mallett from Day One.

crites09
02-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I see him as a second rounder at this point. Cincinnati at #35 makes sense, and if not then maybe Tennessee or Minnesota (if they pass on QBs in round one, which I'm currently not projecting.)

Cincy running a WCO offense now... Mallett don't fit sorry

marshallb
02-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Now, is using cocaine the end of the world? Does it make you a bad person? No. Trust me, though, that drug has a funny habit of changing people, and it's never for the better.

I searched around on Google for a bit and this was the only article (http://www.arkansassports360.com/13371/arkansas-qb-mallett-arrested-charged-with-public-intoxication-updated) that even mentioned any drugs in the arrest, and it mentions nothing of cocaine possession.:
The “faint odor of burnt marijuana coming from Mallett” was also detected by officers. When asked if he had been been smoking marijuana, Mallett denied he had, but later admitted to being around people who had.

I've read plenty of rumors of his supposed cocaine use though, such as this one (which I won't link to as it is another NFL draft site):
We were approached this week, by a source inside the Arkansas program who told us the he has personally witnessed Mallett use both marijuana, and cocaine. This corroborates an account given to us a few months back, that we had been unable to substantiate.

I refuse to believe every rumor I read on the internet and until I hear/read it from a reputable source, then I'm going to give Mallett the benefit of the doubt.

diabsoule
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Ok. Well that clears one "rumor" up then. I'm sure that's something the NFL will examine very closely. I'm not sure he brought his drug use to college (or to Arkansas more importantly.) He's going to need to lay it all on the table and be mature about taking responsibility for his past actions. He's not the most intelligent guy, but I don't think he's as dumb as a rock either. I've always said with he and Newton, what I really can't wait to find out is how they will conduct themselves in this draft-process, notably in the interview/mental evaluation process.

I will say this, and I've said it before: Ryan Mallett is the most pro-ready passer in this class. Out of all the QBs in this draft, I think Mallett is the one that could start right away. He's just a much more polished pocket passer than the others with a sturdier presence. He may lack polished footwork back there, but he at least looks comfortable in the pocket and looks comfortable throwing from the pocket. He'd surely have his fair share of int's and probably a very low->average completion %, but I don't think it would stunt his growth to play Mallett from Day One.

This right here is why he needs to be drafted by a team that has a heady offensive line that is adept at pass protection. As soon as Mallet starts getting hit he starts getting rattled. The Ohio State game showed how rattled he was, as soon as the pocket started collapsing he completed buckled. If Tennessee opts to go a different direction in round 1 then I could see them grabbing Mallet in the 2nd round since I think he'll be there.

Mallet won't get out of the 2nd but I have a feeling that he'll continue the history of poor QB's found outside of round one unless drafted into the right position by the right team.

bucfan12
02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
He won't slip to the 3rd round. I think either Tennessee or Jacksonville will take him. If not, definately Oakland will snag him to sit behind Campbell.

He has a lot of talent, size and huge arm. However, he needs to work on his footwork and decision making. His attitude puts him in the Ryan Leaf category as well, but using a 2nd round pick on a QB of his tools isn't as bad as using a 1st.

I personally don't like Mallett at all and think he is a major bust waiting to happen. He doesn't seem to have that excellent character and leadership skills you look for in a franchise guy.

PossibleCabbage
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Mallet's tape is that of a second round guy who could sneak into the first. I don't know about his character issues, and I don't put that much stock in unsubstantiated rumors, but if there's a fire related to that smoke then that could easily be worth a round or more.

So I would say first is unlikely but possible, third is unlikely but possible, second is most likely.

Babylon
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Mallet's tape is that of a second round guy who could sneak into the first. I don't know about his character issues, and I don't put that much stock in unsubstantiated rumors, but if there's a fire related to that smoke then that could easily be worth a round or more.

So I would say first is unlikely but possible, third is unlikely but possible, second is most likely.

I think his tape is as good as Joe Flacco's or Josh Freeman's were. And he wasnt facing the big-12 defenses or whatever league Flacco was in.

Talent wise he's a mid first round guy who needs to make a few better decisions and not trust his arm too much. If people think he's Ryan Leaf then you're right it'll cost him some money.

bucfan12
02-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I think his tape is as good as Joe Flacco's or Josh Freeman's were. And he wasnt facing the big-12 defenses or whatever league Flacco was in.

Talent wise he's a mid first round guy who needs to make a few better decisions and not trust his arm too much. If people think he's Ryan Leaf then you're right it'll cost him some money.

He seems too cocky. Besides his attitude, he has terrible footwork and isn't mobile at all, so saying his tape is as good as Freemans is flat out wrong. No where near the comparison and I hope you aren't getting at that.

Mallett is a statue in the pocket who doesn't have a feel for pressure and makes poor decisions when facing pressure. He thinks he can gun it into windows with 3 defenders. Makes poor reads (see Ohio State game). Folds under pressure when needed the most and many question his leadership and character. He might be Ryan Leaf 2.0, only that more teams do homework when drafting QBs.

FUNBUNCHER
02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
The Ohio State game wasn't Mallett's entire season. or career. IMO he's not a statue, but mobility and the ability to feel or outrun the pass rush isn't his game.

Based on pure passing ability, no QB besides Mallett had better film in 2010 throwing the football, other than maybe Luck.

Also in that OSU game, he had to fight against drops by his WRs and a blistering pass rush.
Is Mallett effective if his protection collapses up the middle?? Nope, not yet.

Based purely on talent IMO he should go in the top half of the first round.

bucfan12
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
The Ohio State game wasn't Mallett's entire season. or career. IMO he's not a statue, but mobility and the ability to feel or outrun the pass rush isn't his game.

Based on pure passing ability, no QB besides Mallett had better film in 2010 throwing the football, other than maybe Luck.

Also in that OSU game, he had to fight against drops by his WRs and a blistering pass rush.

You're forgetting the attitude and character that are raising flags. Listen, if it was just one source that said Mallett had the personality and characteristics for Jimmy Clausen/Ryan Leaf, then I wouldn't read too far into it. However, almost every scout and analyst and writers that have draft boards and wrote articles have all said he is selfish and has no leadership traits what so ever. When many say that, it's hard not to buy into that and being a leader, field general, is what makes you a franchise QB.

keylime_5
02-09-2011, 04:59 PM

yeah, this is spot on. People point to him having some trouble in the Sugar Bowl - but he had a pass rush in his face all night long and his WRs dropped every other pass.

FUNBUNCHER
02-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Clausen got a bad rap from his freshman season at ND. He really matured his three years at South Bend and wasn't that same cocky kid he was when he first arrived.

And I think much of the hindsight analysis of Ryan Leaf is disingenuous.
I bet he was one of the most liked guys on his WSU team, his problem was his lack of commitment to the game of football. He just didn't have a passion for the game and once he got paid, he lost what little fire he had left.

So I don't really know what it means when someone says Mallett reminds them of Clausen/Leaf from a maturity and personality standpoint.

People keep bashing on this guy for reasons that as of yet are unsubstantiated, maybe things will become clearer during the predraft process.
But for my peace of mind, it would be nice to hear ANYONE say that they spoke to Ryan's teammates or coaches who said they either hate the guy, or think he's a jerk.

Whenever I've watched Mallett QB that Arkansas team, it's clear that he's the MAN on that squad and the entire offense revolves around him.

Mallett led that team to a 10-2 record, and possibly had a shot to beat OSU.
IMO he's a leader in the huddle.

Beat on him all you want, but if Mallett goes to the right team with the right coaching staff, he's going to dust most if not all the QBs in this class.

He's the best pure passer coming out in 2011, if you put Mallett behind a solid Oline he's really going to be something in the pros.

RealityCheck
02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Don't think so. He may not be a 1st round guy but he's still the best QB in the class imo. And at least one team will take a QB in the 1st.

gpngc
02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Something irks all of us about Mallett's personality, arrogance, and alleged lifestyle.

However, those are different from his love of football and work ethic. We'll never know for sure where he stands in those areas, but if a team gets the sense that he loves the game and will work at his craft (even with other flaws), it's probably worth taking a gamble.

He's a pure passer and undeniably impressive on the field. While he lacks ideal mobility, his arm strength is special. His decision-making isn't flawless, but no young QBs is.

Dan Marino fell in the draft because teams had similar concerns about his intelligence, arrogance, and alleged lifestyle.

Here were Marino's #s at Pitt:
Year Att Comp Pct. yards TD INT Rat.
1979 222 130 .586 1680 10 9 80.5
1980 224 116 .518 1609 15 14 71.4
1981 380 226 .595 2876 37 23 90.4
1982 378 221 .584 2432 17 23 67.3
Total 1204 693 .576 8597 79 69 77.7

Mallett can only dream to be once mentioned in the same breath as Marino, but with a lot of work, it's may be more possible than most would admit. Perhaps not an all-time great, but Mallett could end up the best QB from this class even as the fourth guy drafted.

He's as physically gifted as a passer as pretty much anyone we've seen.

Caulibflower
02-13-2011, 06:45 PM
If he falls far enough into the second, do you think the Raiders would try to pick him up? They've got all those fast wide receivers and can pull off the play-action game. Mallett is the type of quarterback they like. JaMarcus didn't work out, but do you think they'd spend a second-rounder on a very similar prospect, hoping it turns out differently? Everybody knows the Raiders believe in drafting a "certain kind of player."

SolidGold
02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Some team is going to fall in love with Mallet's arm. I actually like Mallet, i know he comes from the Bobby Petrino system that produced two uninspiring QBs in Brohm and LeFors but unlike them Mallet actually has an arm, probably the best arm since JaMarcus Russell if not better.

I think he became the face of that Arkansas team this year and led them to a 10-2 season and a BCS bowl. He improved from his sophmore to junior season. He made alot of throws no other QB from this draft can make, he just needs protection (but what QB doesn't?)

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-13-2011, 08:06 PM
If any of the rumours about his drug use hold truth he won't be picked by Oakland. See Todd Marinovich.

FUNBUNCHER
02-13-2011, 10:07 PM
marshallb, I know you're only posting what you read from another source on the Net about an unsubstantiated rumor ( no attribution) allegedly confirming that Mallett has used cocaine, however it's the mentioning by another site of this kind of rumor that really burns me.

First of all, you KNOW it wasn't a coach, since the alleged 'witness' said he saw Mallett partaking.
If true, this tells me it was a teammate or a student who went out of their way to expose Mallett as a drug user.

IMO that sounds like someone who has a personal vendetta against Mallett, and isn't merely some concerned outside observer who's looking out for the best interests of the NFL.

I could easily imagine a scenario at Arkansas where Mallett pissed the **** out of some student, probably a few words between them at an off campus party, and the offended party decides whenever he gets the chance, he's gonna screw Mallett over.

Boom, he contacts an internet sports site and says I saw Mallett snorting a mound and smoking trees. Can't prove it or confirm, but it's enough to get reported as 'evidence' by some site that Mallett has recreational 'problems'.

I just wish some of these sports sites would do a bit more due diligence before reporting rumors, because last night I saw both Peyton and Eli in an underage gangbang and my local elementary school@@!!!

Really.....!

A Perfect Score
02-13-2011, 10:37 PM
marshallb, I know you're only posting what you read from another source on the Net about an unsubstantiated rumor ( no attribution) allegedly confirming that Mallett has used cocaine, however it's the mentioning by another site of this kind of rumor that really burns me.

First of all, you KNOW it wasn't a coach, since the alleged 'witness' said he saw Mallett partaking.
If true, this tells me it was a teammate or a student who went out of their way to expose Mallett as a drug user.

IMO that sounds like someone who has a personal vendetta against Mallett, and isn't merely some concerned outside observer who's looking out for the best interests of the NFL.

I could easily imagine a scenario at Arkansas where Mallett pissed the **** out of some student, probably a few words between them at an off campus party, and the offended party decides whenever he gets the chance, he's gonna screw Mallett over.

Boom, he contacts an internet sports site and says I saw Mallett snorting a mound and smoking trees. Can't prove it or confirm, but it's enough to get reported as 'evidence' by some site that Mallett has recreational 'problems'.

I just wish some of these sports sites would do a bit more due diligence before reporting rumors, because last night I saw both Peyton and Eli in an underage gangbang and my local elementary school@@!!!

Really.....!

It's really easy to outline one side of the coin, but we're forgetting the good old adage that where there's smoke, there's fire. For the most part, and keep in mind I am saying that and not ruling out exceptions, when we hear about things like this, there is some basis of truth to them. Not that Mallett couldn't have cleaned up his act or matured in some way since these rumors have spread, but I think it's illogical to just assume that these concerns don't exist. I've been saying for a while Mallett wouldn't go in Round 1 for these exact reasons, but I can't see him getting too far into Round 2 before someone takes a chance on him.

Caulibflower
02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
It's really not that hard to believe an Arkansas quarterback would use cocaine.

gpngc
02-13-2011, 10:44 PM
It's really easy to outline one side of the coin, but we're forgetting the good old adage that where there's smoke, there's fire. For the most part, and keep in mind I am saying that and not ruling out exceptions, when we hear about things like this, there is some basis of truth to them. Not that Mallett couldn't have cleaned up his act or matured in some way since these rumors have spread, but I think it's illogical to just assume that these concerns don't exist. I've been saying for a while Mallett wouldn't go in Round 1 for these exact reasons, but I can't see him getting too far into Round 2 before someone takes a chance on him.

I mean his drug use really hurt him in a year when he led his team to 10-2 with 30 TDs and 12 picks...

It's one thing to be a drug addict, it's another to be young and enjoy partying...

I would guess with Mallett it's the latter because it obviously didn't affect his performance on the field all that much... but no one knows for sure besides him.

But to think that NFL players can't still be successful while using drugs (to what extent - who knows) is probably a little naive...

LonghornsLegend
02-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Don't know why but I still don't buy him making it out of the 1st round. He's still got tremendous upside, an arm that only a few can touch with incredible size to boot. There is gonna be a team within the first 10-15 picks who falls in love and trades up into the late 1st round.

I just don't think he'll fall into a teams lap somewhere into the 2nd, if you've wanted the guy all along you probably won't want to take that risk and wait at that point. I could easily see the Bengals moving up with a team like the Jets or Bears to take Mallett after taking AJ Green in the 1st round.

FUNBUNCHER
02-13-2011, 11:17 PM
If there's an alleged former cokehead I'd gamble on in this draft, it's Mallett.

D-Unit
02-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Been thinking that Mallett is a 2nd rounder for a while now. Don't count out Dallas in Round 2. ...even though I would hate that. Jerry is an Arkansas guy...

Caulibflower
02-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Going to Dallas at #40 makes a loooooot of sense for both parties. Tony Romo is thirty, so he's not going anywhere in the immediate future... which is perfect for letting a talented quarterback develop for a few years, while at the same time pushing Tony Romo every day in practice. With the Arkansas connection with Jerry Jones, this is definitely a scenario I could see happening. As his career goes on, Dez Bryant is going to need a QB who can throw him the deep ball.

fenikz
02-14-2011, 01:52 AM
I doubt he will be on the Cardinals' BB during the draft

Texas Homer
02-14-2011, 02:00 AM
I think that Mallett will be a 1st round guy.

BigBanger
02-14-2011, 03:22 AM
I don't think he's going in round 1, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall past round 2 (I don't expect him to fall past round 2 though). Firstly, his play does not warrant a first round draft pick. That's first. He's more of a second round player to begin with. You add in his character, work ethic and desire to be the best player he can be, then you start to question what kind of person you are hiring. The draft, for a great majority of teams, has turned into a hiring process where a background investigations has become critical, especially with the QB position.

Some teams are going to completely remove Mallett off their draft boards based solely on his character. Tebow, who had tape of a mid round, developmental QB, went in round 1, because of his character, leadership, work ethic, AND THEN his potential.

There has been a recent trend with high profile, overhyped QBs falling in the draft (Brohm, Quinn, Brennan, Clausen, Tebow, McCoy). The number of draft busts (or terrible draft blunders like Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwhich, JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith) has been decreasing and hasn't happened for 3 straight years, which has not happened in a long time. If you look at the QBs taken from 1998 to 2007 in the first round, the amount of busts and terrible draft picks is insane at the QB position.

Teams are finally smartening up and rating QBs more adequately (I think with "The Big 4" garnering a lot scrutiny this year, teams continue to show this trend). Matt Leinart's self entitlement and I-don't-need-to-work-for-anything attitude had a large impact on Jimmy Clausen, who had the same attitude and leadership questions (not to mention glaring question marks in his game that didn't warrant a top 10 pick). Basically, teams are learning from past mistakes. Guys like Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy would have been top 10 picks 8 years ago. Now, they're falling. If you look at the last 7 QBs taken in the first round (spanning the last 3 years), I think you see a trend in smart decision making by owners, GMs and coaching staffs. They are really doing their homework on these guys and providing more emphasis on other key positions (DT, S, C) that have been overlooked as bad value up until recently.

Sam Bradford, 1st overall
Tim Tebow, 25th overall

Matthew Stafford, 1st overall
Mark Sanchez, 5th overall
Josh Freeman, 17th overall

Matt Ryan, 3rd overall
Joe Flacco, 18th overall

There's a strong possibility where only one of those guys may not turn out to be a playoff caliber QB (Tebow). Everyone of those guys is currently the face of the franchise and the future of the team (again, Tebow the only one in question). I don't think 2011 will be the draft that bucks this recent trend. These are high profile QBs with serious flaws in their game. These guys are already falling out of first round consideration on many draft boards and garnering a lot of negative buzz among scouts.

Mallett's advocates want to say, "Ah, they're just rumors. Mallett is being targeted and unfairly treated." Right, because QBs with bazookas are routinely underrated come draft day. Mallett is falling, because he's not a great player. Simple as that. There are huge concerns with Mallett's game and the system he plays in. THEN there is question marks surrounding his maturity and intangibles. Mallett is going to fall on draft day. A lot is going to do with these rumors (which is rare for it to be untrue), but a lot of it is going to come down to smart decision making by NFL teams. Passing up that great potential and not ignoring all the signs that point to failure where in hindsight, we always look back and say, "How could they not see that one coming? The signs were there!!"

FUNBUNCHER
02-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Question Mallett out of pads all you want, but his game film screams first round talent IMO.

Every game Arkansas played, I'd argue he was the best offensive player on the field that day, except against Auburn.

This isn't a Clausen situation where there were also questions about Clausen's physical tools.

Mallett is too physically gifted to last past the 2nd, and I seriously doubt every team in the NFL wouldn't consider taking Mallett in the 7th round, thus the point I don't get the speculation or absolute assertions that Mallett has been removed entirely from team's draft boards.

Here's the deal with coke; typically it stays in the body for at most 3 days before being completely metabolized.

If you are a regular or habitual user, it's possible that trace amounts can be found in your urine for up to three months.

So, if Mallett tests completely clean at the combine, number one it tells me he hasn't used in the past week, and number two it suggests he hasn't used in the past 12 weeks.

Which would all suggest to me that to describe Mallett as a 'cokehead' would be a slanderous lie.

After that, it's what you as a scout or GM choose to believe, assuming he tests clean.

BTW, if there's no hard evidence I personally would never advise a prospect to freely admit he may have once used coke in the past. The NFL doesn't really view marijuana use and cocaine in the same category.

If NFL teams are more or less comfortable in believing Mallett doesn't have a problem with drugs, where are the knocks on him to drop him out of the first??

The financial hit if there's a rookie salary cap in place means there's no guaranteed $20-50 mil investment in drafting a QB in the top 10.

And I really don't care if Mallett bitches at teammates for screwing up or dropping balls.
That kind of 'attitude' seemed to work just fine for Aikman.

As far as work ethic and motivation, why would you assume he isn't motivated and doesn't work to improve his game??
He's improved every season he's been at Arkansas.

BB, as physical talents, Brohm, Quinn, Clausen, Brennan, Tebow and McCoy just aren't in Mallett's class as passers, and two of those guys still went in the 1st.

He might be a gamble, but overall no more than any other QB projected to go in the first.

BigBanger
02-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Question Mallett out of pads all you want, but his game film screams first round talent IMO.

Every game Arkansas played, I'd argue he was the best offensive player on the field that day, except against Auburn.

This isn't a Clausen situation where there were also questions about Clausen's physical tools.

Mallett is too physically gifted to last past the 2nd, and I seriously doubt every team in the NFL wouldn't consider taking Mallett in the 7th round, thus the point I don't get the speculation or absolute assertions that Mallett has been removed entirely from team's draft boards.

Here's the deal with coke; typically it stays in the body for at most 3 days before being completely metabolized.

If you are a regular or habitual user, it's possible that trace amounts can be found in your urine for up to three months.

So, if Mallett tests completely clean at the combine, number one it tells me he hasn't used in the past week, and number two it suggests he hasn't used in the past 12 weeks.

Which would all suggest to me that to describe Mallett as a 'cokehead' would be a slanderous lie.

After that, it's what you as a scout or GM choose to believe, assuming he tests clean.

BTW, if there's no hard evidence I personally would never advise a prospect to freely admit he may have once used coke in the past. The NFL doesn't really view marijuana use and cocaine in the same category.

If NFL teams are more or less comfortable in believing Mallett doesn't have a problem with drugs, where are the knocks on him to drop him out of the first??

The financial hit if there's a rookie salary cap in place means there's no guaranteed $20-50 mil investment in drafting a QB in the top 10.

And I really don't care if Mallett bitches at teammates for screwing up or dropping balls.
That kind of 'attitude' seemed to work just fine for Aikman.

As far as work ethic and motivation, why would you assume he isn't motivated and doesn't work to improve his game??
He's improved every season he's been at Arkansas.

BB, as physical talents, Brohm, Quinn, Clausen, Brennan, Tebow and McCoy just aren't in Mallett's class as passers, and two of those guys still went in the 1st.

He might be a gamble, but overall no more than any other QB projected to go in the first.
I don't know who people compare his game to, but it seems eerily similar to Byron Leftwich, a prospect I hated. I liked Leftwich's intangibles A LOT more, but maybe I was hooked in that department when I saw teammates carrying him down the field. Then he stays in the game with a foot / ankle injury when he could hardly stay on his feet.

I am not a fan of Mallett. I think his height and his long stride is a negative, not a positive and will be exposed when he faces pressure (I think he really struggles against pressure, makes bad decisions and forces wild throws). I see people brush off his footwork like he needs a minor tweak here and there. It's atrocious, and the worst of among the top QB prospects in this draft. His inability to move, or slide in the pocket, reset his feet and throw the ball with accuracy is a huge concern (A ton of his throws are thrown without setting his feet). This is where Leftwich struggled in the pros. Both have long strides, wind ups (obviously not nearly as bad) and need clean pockets since they are very poor sliding and moving in the pocket. That simply doesn't happen unless you are Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady where you can quickly scan the field, make quick reads and get rid of the ball on time, thus negating the pass rush (something I vastly underrated with Sam Bradford last year, which is a huge positive).

That is not Mallett's forte if you ask me. Mallett was in a system where he looked to one side of the field. Petrino's system exposed and exploits college defenses by attacking all three levels to the same side of the field. Short, intermediate and deep. That, I think greatly boosts his stats and makes him look a lot better than he is. Mallett locks onto his primary targets a great majority of the time and isn't making difficult reads. He does have the arm to make every throw one could ask, but where you see NFL QBs struggle with accuracy (say Carson Palmer) is when they have pressure, struggle to slide in the pocket, create throwing lanes, improvise and have to throw without setting their feet, throwing off their back foot or not following through. One of the most overlooked aspects of quarterback play is pocket presence, pocket awareness and ability to move in the pocket. Like Carson Palmer, Mallett is a statute back there. That is a big negative, which leads to a lot of inconsistent QB play, inconsistent drives, poor accuracy, poor decisions and turnovers.

His accuracy is inconsistent to begin with, whether he has all day to throw or not (mostly because of his inconsistency with his mechanics and delivery). At the NFL level, I think it will be much worse than what we saw in college. He wont have wide open receivers like he did in college, which was pretty disgusting how wide open some of his players got on a routine basis. He wont be able to just throw the ball without setting his feet. Mallett has a lot of work to do with has piss poor technique, which is why I would first question his work ethic. I also have not seen any improvement in that area. Matt Stafford? Huge deference between sophomore and junior, then another huge deference between rookie year and second year in the pros. You can see the work he puts in on the field.

I've also watched a lot of interviews with Mallett and I would to love to sit in the interview room and watch him talk about defenses, reading defenses and what he's thinking or looking for in defenses. Matt Stafford broke down tape with Mike Mayock, and he was simply brilliant. A film junky that showed a great understanding of defenses and his system. In interviews, Mallett says, "Ah, we just didn't execute." Or, "We executed much better last week than we did this week." "Our second half wasn't as good because we didn't execute." He says the same thing over and over again. I don't think he has much football knowledge. I watch him in interviews and he doesn't impress me. He doesn't seem smart and he doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about. JaMarcus Russell gave me that feeling. Vince Young gave me that feeling. Not to say that has anything to do with Mallett, but when I get that gut feeling that this kid just seems ******* stupid, well, I don't want a stupid kid leading my franchise at QB. I watch Blaine Gabbert in interviews and he's the most impressive from this class. The fact that we're even talking about Mallett's character is a huge negative that he has to overcome.

If Mallett was a high draft pick I would bet he would be a Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell type bust. But I don't think he's gonna see the first round. I think Mallett is a legit 3rd rounder.

Buffalo M
02-14-2011, 10:18 AM
He may be a 3rd round talent that will be picked higher, due to his position.

In crunch time, he has come up small and that isn't something NFL people ignore. Has trouble reading coverages, which has nothing to do with his natual ability to throw a ball.

FUNBUNCHER
02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Unreal the criticisms Mallett's receiving. His footwork is not that bad, and I won't count it against him that he didn't win every contest ( he only lost two btw in the regular season) with a late game heroic effort.

I hate it when people make the argument that there's only one read to one side of the field in a spread offense, specifically Petrino's.
People are confusing PRIMARY read and ONE read, IMO. No offense with more than one WR out in a route has only 'one' read.

Coverage dictates where a QB throws the ball, not the play call. If a QB throws the football repeatedly into double and triple coverage, because that's his primary read, he'd be benched before halftime.

If anything Mallett accomplished passing the football last season for the Razorbacks is dismissed because he played in Petrino's offense, I don't know how someone can honestly evaluate his in game performance.

Every great play he made vertically is written off automatically as a 'product of the system'.

Too many generalizations IMO to justify why you don't like a prospect.
Mallett NEVER sets his feet when he throws?? Mallett has ZERO mobility?? Mallett NEVER had to read defensive coverages at Arkansas??

You know why Mallett's so-so WRs looked so wide open when he threw them the ball?? Because guys with cannon arms have a tendency to make mediocre WRs look more open than they really are.

And how in depth should one reasonably expect a QB to delve into during a postgame news conference?? How many NFL QBs break down Xs and Os in depth after a game??
Because Mallett doesn't go into sufficient strategic depth of the gameplan after a win or loss, you question his intelligence??

That's petty.

Because you don't see any improvement in Mallett's footwork, as if it was a problem for him the last two years, that's a justification to question his work ethic??

Good grief.

Still don't think there's any way Mallett makes it to the 3rd round, rumors or not.

Can't wait for you to do a breakdown on Gabbert.