PDA

View Full Version : Is Aldon Smith A Top 10 Pick?

bigfreak314
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
http://media.columbiamissourian.com/multimedia/2010/11/25/media/AldonSmithFile_copy_t_w600_h1200.jpg

OK, Aldon Smith has the size, and with with the combine coming in two weeks we will see if he has the timed speed. I have seen a number of Mock Drafts with him going as high as the Tennessee Titans, by some "gurus" like Bucky Brooks. I wanted to get the opinion of some scouts/former scouts what do you think about this guy. Me being the die hard Tampa fan thinks he is the second coming of Simeon Rice but sometimes my judgement gets clouded. At any rate, opinions???

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/437330/McNeese7-AldonSmith.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyDrwMkV-c

Matthew Jones
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I see him as similar to Jason Pierre-Paul last year and currently have him going #11 overall to Houston. Tampa Bay at #20 overall is his absolute floor in my opinion.

Unbiased
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I think he has a very good chance to be 1, but I, personally, wouldn't draft him in the top 10. I tend to like 4 year players with solid progression each year, but I'm getting proven wrong with guys like Carlos Dunlap and Jason Pierre-Paul playing well in the NFL.

Caulibflower
02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I was really, really dubious about JPP being a high pick last year, but he's a guy who definitely exceeded my expectations his rookie season.

Just sayin'.

Caulibflower
02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I like Aldon Smith a lot, though. What really strikes me about him are his arms. He's been really good at extending and dragging down/tripping up quarterbacks. It reminds me of the way that long-armed, strong-handed wide receivers are able to extend for the football; Smith can extend and grab onto ballcarriers in a similar way. I like him better as a 4-3 end than a 3-4 outside linebacker.

SenorGato
02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Said it on another board...I've been trying not to like him because I'm weary of guys with limited college production who come out when the hype is hot...that said there's really very little to dislike...he's got some Terrell Suggs to his game which is obviously a good thing...I think he could handle 3-4 OLB if someone wanted to, but I'd rather see him get drafted into a 4-3, at least for his early years.

The 3-4 OLB position is no fun for young players, and I think we're far enough away from Ware/Merriman to kind of sit back and think about that now...it's a veterans position because it requires an intellect and instinct for the game at a pro level that 99.9% of rookies just won't have. Suggs started out as a rush DE for the Ravens...I think it's probably the best way to get a guy in there if you're operating a 3-4 D.

Caulibflower
02-10-2011, 07:26 PM
His production wasn't "limited." He had 11.5 sacks and 19 TFL as a RS Freshman, and was first-team Big Twelve again last year. He's young, but it's not like he's a one-year wonder; that label should be reserved for players who were mediocre until the season before they declared. Aldon Smith has never been a mediocre college player.

gpngc
02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
His production wasn't "limited." He had 11.5 sacks and 19 TFL as a RS Freshman, and was first-team Big Twelve again last year. He's young, but it's not like he's a one-year wonder; that label should be reserved for players who were mediocre until the season before they declared. Aldon Smith has never been a mediocre college player.

Holy **** that is still amazing.

No one is ever going to read any of your posts again.

Iamcanadian
02-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Like all juniors, his Combine and/or personal workout will decide where he is drafted. Has real potential but this draft is deep in DE's and some could fall if teams believe they can get a solid one in round 2.

thegreatone
02-11-2011, 07:19 PM
I can't see a 3-4 team taking him in the top 10, but he looks like someone who could make an instant impact on a 4-3, so that team might take him in the top 15.

the natural
02-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Aldon will rip it up at the Combine and in the interviews. He is a bright kid.

whatadai
02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
In my opinion, Aldon Smith has the highest ceiling of any 4-3 DE in the draft, but then again I have some serious man love for him.

Just depends on if he gets on a 4-3 team with a good defensive coordinator and also use him correctly.

SRogers92
02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I've watched about 3 vids on him now and absolutely love this kid ... I have him #6 overall on my draft board now ... I think he'll solidify that ranking at the combine ... his use of hands and pass rushing moves were pretty advanced for a redshirt sophomore ... his motor is amazing ... his athleticism and length is unquestionable ... plays a little high at times, but so do most DEs ... He was more stout against the run than I had anticipated ..

I do see him as a better fit for a 43 team though ... he rushed from the UT position as well as the DE position a lot at Mizzou ... he's a monster.

batman15
02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
He's got a great motor, hopefully he doesn't tank like so many other "can't miss" DE's.

bigfreak314
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
I was wondering what are the knocks on the guy if any? I have seen some highlights but only a couple of Mizzou games. I know limited experience is one.

bitonti
02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
if he wants to get picked high like JPP, he needs to work out like JPP. this is a player who's value will be dictated by the combine

for my money i'd rather have a guy like Ryan Kerrigan who has 30+ sacks over 4 years... battle tested. But Smith has a huge upside.

SRogers92
02-17-2011, 01:28 PM
if he wants to get picked high like JPP, he needs to work out like JPP. this is a player who's value will be dictated by the combine

for my money i'd rather have a guy like Ryan Kerrigan who has 30+ sacks over 4 years... battle tested. But Smith has a huge upside.

Don't think JPP really tested all that well at the combine ... all the athleticism drills were very average for a guy touted as an athletic specimen ...

He ran a very strong 40 meter dash at 4.67 but, only did 19 bench reps and his broad jump wasn't even amongst the top 10 for his position group(DE) ... I think Aldon Smith just needs to show he's an elite athlete(which he is) and the rest will take care of its self ... He looks more refined on his film than a lot of guys who have played for 4 years ... he uses his hands well, uses a great rip move to get past defenders, and actually chases the ball carrier down from behind very well ...

His biggest weakness, which is the same for virtually every DE coming out of college, is he needs to use leverage better at times ... with that said ... it's not like he has bad leverage, it's just the only thing I can see he really needs to improve upon.

will99890
02-17-2011, 01:42 PM
First thing I notice when watching Aldon Smith is the smoothness with which he moves laterally. The guy looks like a power forward going after a rebound, not a 260 lb DE going for a sack. Love the way he can shift his body by just a foot or two to avoid blocks. Also, gotta love that he has a power game as a change of pace.

I think he's the total package, top 10 is definitely realistic.

BigBanger
02-17-2011, 07:20 PM
For right now, with a lot more work to do on these DEs, I rank them like this:

1. Cameron Jordan, Cal
2. Aldon Smith, Missouri
3. Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
4. Robert Quinn, UNC
5. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson

Jordan is the most technically sound player in the draft. Great strength and power, but wont be a big sack guy. Dominant against the run. Great motor and plays with incredible power at the point of attack. Relocates the line of scrimmage and is a true force. Prototypical 34 DE.

Smith has a ton of talent, with great length. Very athletic and quick. Translates well to a 43 DE position and can kick inside on pass rushing situations. Plays very high, which is a concern because his height kind of prohibits him from playing low. Will struggle with leverage. Great motor though. I want to hear the buzz about his interviews, character, work ethic, dedication, ect.

Kerrigan has great technique, but is limited physically. Not a great talent, but a hard working overachiever with a nonstop motor and great character. Great production. A safe pick very much in that Chris Long mold.

Quinn is the most talented from a size, athleticism, strength and potential standpoint, but I want to hear the buzz stemming from his interviews, character concerns, work ethic, ect. Realistically, it could be 2 years before he sees action on a football field if there's a lockout. That's not good. Is raw.

Bowers has been an underachiever that blew up this past year. Has the talent of a top 5 player, and probably the second most naturally gifted player behind Quinn, but I just fail to see that special quality in him on a consistent basis. With a four year guy, you're usually not still going back-and-forth about him, and if you are, then there's something missing. With Bowers, I just think there's something missing. Can't put my finger on it, but he rarely meets my expectations.