PDA

View Full Version : Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

CheeseKnuckles
02-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Is Torrey Smith a reach at 32??? Any insight on him as a player?? High character type of player?

His highlight video on youtube is pretty impressive. At this point I think he needs to be a Packer!

thegreatone
02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Hes a great character guy.

I love everything about his game. I just question the way he catches. If he can prove in the combine that he can consistently catch with his hands, he would in no way be a reach in the top 25 imo.

CheeseKnuckles
02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah I did notice he sometimes catches the ball with his body.

MI_Buckeye
02-11-2011, 12:27 AM
He is definitely not a reach at the end of the first, in fact, I dont even think he makes it to 32. However, I wonder why you would even care to have him as a Pack fan. Your receiving core is stacked.

ellsy82
02-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah I did notice he sometimes catches the ball with his body.

He does catch the ball with his body way too often. I'd like to see his hand size when he gets to the NFL combine. Is he compensating for something? We'll see eventually.

Helluva college receiver.

SenorGato
02-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure he graduated this year...Not something you usually hear about guys doing when they go pro...things like that make me think he's going to be a very good pro.

mikehop05
02-11-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm pretty sure he graduated this year...Not something you usually hear about guys doing when they go pro...things like that make me think he's going to be a very good pro.

def graduated in the winter

ChiFan24
02-11-2011, 01:32 AM
He is definitely not a reach at the end of the first, in fact, I dont even think he makes it to 32. However, I wonder why you would even care to have him as a Pack fan. Your receiving core is stacked.

Driver's old, James Jones is a free agent/can't catch.

FUNBUNCHER
02-11-2011, 06:06 AM
He's raw and not a polished route runner, but the upside for Torrey is a pro bowl caliber career IMO.
I still want to see what his official 40 time is at the combine but I have a feeling he's going to blaze at Indy.

I think Torrey is a great value pick at the end of the 1st and further down the draft.

the_dark_knight
02-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Right now I think he's pegged as a target of the Falcons @ 27.

CheeseKnuckles
02-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Well Donald Driver isn't getting any younger... James Jones is inconsisent and a FA so someone might offer him money that the Packers aren't willing to give him. Brett Swain ( our 5th receiver ) is serviceable at best, but a good special teams player.

So there is room for a guy who can make plays and also return kicks/punts. Plus is it a bad thing to give a guy like Rodgers additional playmakers.

MI_Buckeye
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Well Donald Driver isn't getting any younger... James Jones is inconsisent and a FA so someone might offer him money that the Packers aren't willing to give him. Brett Swain ( our 5th receiver ) is serviceable at best, but a good special teams player.

So there is room for a guy who can make plays and also return kicks/punts. Plus is it a bad thing to give a guy like Rodgers additional playmakers.

I understand what you are saying, I just think they would be better served going in a number of other directions. You're right that it is not a bad thing to supply your all-time great QB with another weapon, but frankly, I think Rodgers is so good you can get 1st round production from a receiver later in the draft. Driver will be back next year, and don't forget they get Jermichael Finley back next season too.

If I were the Packers, I would jump at Leshoure if he were available. Otherwise, I would focus on building depth in the lines or the secondary.

SimonRath
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I understand what you are saying, I just think they would be better served going in a number of other directions. You're right that it is not a bad thing to supply your all-time great QB with another weapon, but frankly, I think Rodgers is so good you can get 1st round production from a receiver later in the draft. Driver will be back next year, and don't forget they get Jermichael Finley back next season too.

If I were the Packers, I would jump at Leshoure if he were available. Otherwise, I would focus on building depth in the lines or the secondary.

I highly doubt the packers draft a RB high this year. they got Ryan Grant coming back and have James Starks who showed a little promise this postseason. I think they help out the O-line or get another pass rusher to go along with Clay.

WCH
02-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Let me take a crack at this one, as a Packer fan:

1. Donald Driver is old.
2. Jordy Nelson drops passes when he knows he's about to get hit.
3. James Jones drops passes when he knows he's about to score a long TD.
4. We're spoiled, and don't realize how good Nelson/Jones really are.

And Ryan Grant is 28 years old and coming off of an ankle injury. There's been some speculation that they might cut him, rather than pay the $1.75 Million roster bonus.

the_dark_knight
02-11-2011, 12:42 PM
The other thing for Pack fans is that Jones is pending Free Agency isn't he? They may go ahead and let him walk, and with your GMs ability to pick up quality WRs that fit what the Packers do on offense I wouldn't be afraid to get another rookie in.

I think Jordy Nelson can develop into an even better WR. I think Jennings is a great WR, and very versatile, but I don't know if he's a true #1 WR, as he gets moved around a lot, but then again, does it really matter who is the #1 WR in that offense, the ball gets to whoever is open.

But for the Packers I'd say from what I've seen he'd be a great pickup, but regardless of how many more times I get negged for saying that he's a target for the Falcons at 27, I'll say it again.

Falcons could really use some pass rush, but Matt Ryan deserves more than 1 quality WR. With TG getting a little older, he can't really stretch the middle so much, so Turner gets piled on. So I think the Front office may go more of the way I think they should have gone last year. Quit trying to fix weaknesses, and begin to capitalize on some strengths. Obviously you can't ignore the defensive end position with Abe getting older, and no one else having stepped up yet, but you can't have a QB that is as good as Matt Ryan and not surround him with talent to allow him to reach his full potential.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Is Torrey Smith a reach at 32??? Any insight on him as a player?? High character type of player?

His highlight video on youtube is pretty impressive. At this point I think he needs to be a Packer!

No i dont think he is a reach at all, from pick 24-32 if you need a speed Wr,with very good hands, explosive returner also ,then draft this man.
HE is a smart, doesnt get in trouble off the field, very humble.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Hes a great character guy.

I love everything about his game. I just question the way he catches. If he can prove in the combine that he can consistently catch with his hands, he would in no way be a reach in the top 25 imo.

He catches the ball with his HANDS. Like every other human being wide out in America.whats with this myth about Torrey doesnt catch with his hands, oh yeah he used his shoulders, and knees and legs to catch the ball lol or maybe his head.

thegreatone
02-11-2011, 11:02 PM
He catches the ball with his HANDS. Like every other human being wide out in America.whats with this myth about Torrey doesnt catch with his hands, oh yeah he used his shoulders, and knees and legs to catch the ball lol or maybe his head.
Just wait till the combine. We will both get our answer soon enough.

JDB7821
02-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Have you ever gone out and played catch? There's a big difference between letting the ball into your body and snatching it out of the air. Yes, you still technically catch it with your hands, but it shows a lack of concentration and great hands if you constantly catch it with your body. Not to mention if he goes to a team with a quarterback that can fire it, those balls will be bouncing off of his chest.

LonghornsLegend
02-13-2011, 04:21 PM

This sounds like you've never played football before quite honestly or your just really confused. You don't understand the difference between a WR who catches the ball with his hands, away from his body, snapping it out of the air vs one who lets the ball into his body and traps it on his chest?

Generally guys with suspect hands let the ball into their body, and there is a higher chance of it being broken up or that same WR dropping the ball when forced to use only his hands without letting it into his body.

the_dark_knight
02-14-2011, 03:38 PM
This sounds like you've never played football before quite honestly or your just really confused. You don't understand the difference between a WR who catches the ball with his hands, away from his body, snapping it out of the air vs one who lets the ball into his body and traps it on his chest?

Generally guys with suspect hands let the ball into their body, and there is a higher chance of it being broken up or that same WR dropping the ball when forced to use only his hands without letting it into his body.

Pretty sure he was trying to be 'cute' with his retort there, and was pure fail. We all understand that he ultimately catches the ball with his hands, but he does it sort of the old fashioned Dad teaching his kid how to catch way, where the kid who's too small to catch with their hands basically hugs the ball to catch it. This is just the grown up version of that.

Just think Roddy White when you think Torrey Smith. Roddy had the exact same problems and for all of you non Falcon fans, Roddy was nearly cut going into year 3 because he never tried to catch the ball off his body, and Vick's passes were pinging off his chest and to the ground. He dropped any and everything, but now, this season he set the league record for fewest drops in a season. Think he ended the year with about 4 or 5 drops. Unfortunately those all came in the last couple games. Okay sorry for drifting off topic.

Long Story Short, he compares to:

Roddy White, Falcons - WR

SimonRath
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Pretty sure he was trying to be 'cute' with his retort there, and was pure fail. We all understand that he ultimately catches the ball with his hands, but he does it sort of the old fashioned Dad teaching his kid how to catch way, where the kid who's too small to catch with their hands basically hugs the ball to catch it. This is just the grown up version of that.

Just think Roddy White when you think Torrey Smith. Roddy had the exact same problems and for all of you non Falcon fans, Roddy was nearly cut going into year 3 because he never tried to catch the ball off his body, and Vick's passes were pinging off his chest and to the ground. He dropped any and everything, but now, this season he set the league record for fewest drops in a season. Think he ended the year with about 4 or 5 drops. Unfortunately those all came in the last couple games. Okay sorry for drifting off topic.

Long Story Short, he compares to:

Roddy White, Falcons - WR

roddy white was nearly cut? uhh.. no.

LonghornsLegend
02-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Yea nearly cut is just going overboard. Roddy had lapses in concentration catching the ball but since when does a WR get cut before his 3rd season, when his first 2 seasons were actually productive? I think he had 500 yards each of his first two seasons and a couple TD's, there have been much worse in that span.

Then again I think guys like TO let the ball into his chest as well for most of his career, but doing that you'll end up with a ton of drops.

thegreatone
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Smith seems a lot faster than White.

ChiFan24
02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm really loving the Smith to Green Bay fit for some reason....fourth WR in James Jones' role until Driver retires, then takes over in Driver's role. Nelson stays where he is.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Torrey Smith even looks faster now with all this extra training he is doing. i think he will go from pick 24-32. He is an explosive running, with great yards after the catch skills, i think people will be impressed with how he works out at the combine, he is a top 10 overall athlete in the years draft if you ask me. He came to Maryland as a raw running Qb,and worked on smoothing out his wide out skills like route running catching and thanks be been a HS Qb. That really helps him beat corners. HE knows how to set them up with his routes and when the open zones in the coverage very smart player. Graduated as a Junior in 4 years, but still very impressive young man off the field too.

J-Mike88
02-20-2011, 01:40 PM
For those who have seen a lot of Maryland football the past 2 years, who else's style does Torrey compare to in your opinion (don't worry about others ripping your comparison.... it's your comparison, not theirs?

Are these measurable accurate?
Height: 6-1, Weight: 205.

JohnCandy
02-20-2011, 02:55 PM
For those who have seen a lot of Maryland football the past 2 years, who else's style does Torrey compare to in your opinion (don't worry about others ripping your comparison.... it's your comparison, not theirs?

Are these measurable accurate?
Height: 6-1, Weight: 205.

The couple games I saw this year he reminded me of a faster, not as strong Roddy White. He is more physical then he gets credit for.

My guess would be 6' 206lbs. 4.41 [40]

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Torrey Smith is a FREAK ATHLETE check out this video

MARYLAND = Combine U

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/02/24/torrey-smith-is-a-sick-athlete-whose-draft-stock-should-skyrocket-at-the-nfl-combine/

SimonRath
02-25-2011, 10:57 AM

MARYLAND = Combine U

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/02/24/torrey-smith-is-a-sick-athlete-whose-draft-stock-should-skyrocket-at-the-nfl-combine/

dude has MAD hops! damn..

SeanTaylorRIP
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Damn didn't know Torrey's vert was that crazy, plus since Kevin Barnes was still there this has to be most likely his freshman season.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
If only he caught the ball with his hands. I'd like him so much more.

SimonRath
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM

that can be taught though.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-25-2011, 12:32 PM
that can be taught though.

Re-teaching someone how to do something they know isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-25-2011, 12:41 PM

The fact that he can make tough over the shoulder grabs with his hands shows to me that he does have the ability to grab balls. It's all about consistency.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Torrey can catch the ball lol i dont know why every one is worried. Ok he body catches so football who doesnt. Terrell Owens body catches , so does Anquan Boldin a little. I am not worried the kid can fly , and jump out this world and HE IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

ChiFan24
02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Torrey can catch the ball lol i dont know why every one is worried. Ok he body catches so football who doesnt. Terrell Owens body catches , so does Antwan Boldin a little. I am not worried the kid can fly , and jump out this world and HE IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Stop. Please. Just stop.

Wodwo
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Re-teaching someone how to do something they know isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.

It depends on their work ethic. I could be wrong here, but players coming out of Maryland seem to have been coached up to have good work ethic... especially in the weight room. It might be that they just have a great athletic trainer and that's where it comes from, I don't know. I just follow prospects, I'm not a fan of the team.

I can tell you that Vernon Davis came to the 49ers with hands of stone. He really had to catch with his body... it was so bad that it limited him early in his career. He was coached up really well on his blocking, both run and pass, and excelled in both. He was used more as a pass blocker early on both because the team needed help in protection (Davis was a better pass blocker than RT Kwame Harris, lulz) and because he wasn't a reliable target.

Well, Vernon spent extra time after practice every day with the jugs machine catching 100 passes. He worked hard to improve his ability to catch with his hands and it's really payed off. He still lets some passes into his body, but it's generally on over the shoulder basket catches when he's running the seam route. Still, I've seen him make some amazing hands catches that I never would have thought him capable of.

Needless to say, his drop rate has gone down significantly. He's still got other issues, but that's another topic.

It's all about work ethic. Does Torrey Smith have it? If he does, he can improve his hands. If he doesn't, you shouldn't draft him anyway. Heh.

FUNBUNCHER
02-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Not to 'jack, but VD at UMD had incredible hands. Martz as a rule doesn't throw to TEs, so when VD dropped one of the 2 or 3 balls thrown his way, he was done catching the ball that day for the Niners.

VD became a pro bowler when Martz left, not a coincidence.

thegreatone
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Torrey can catch the ball lol i dont know why every one is worried. Ok he body catches so football who doesnt. Terrell Owens body catches , so does Antwan Boldin a little. I am not worried the kid can fly , and jump out this world and HE IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER.
Again, TO is the exception not the rule.

Also, I'm pretty sure no one named Antwan Boldin plays in the NFL.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Stop. Please. Just stop.

What do you want me to say Torrey Smith sucks, he is a terrible player, and should be drafted in round 7 are you happy now.

A Perfect Score
02-25-2011, 05:34 PM
What do you want me to say Torrey Smith sucks, he is a terrible player, and should be drafted in round 7 are you happy now.

Nobody has any issues with Torrey Smith. We all know he's a late first round talent who is a spectacular athlete who has some issues catching the ball away from his body. I may be overstepping my boundaries in assuming what he was trying to say, but it probably had something to do with the overwhelming amounts of stupidity you seem to be able to cram into even the smallest posts. Stop posting, take a community college English course and come back in 6 months and maybe we'll be able to understand what the **** you're trying to say because right now, your posts are incomprehensible.

wordofi
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM

James Jones probably won't be back, and Donald Driver is 36 years old.

Wodwo
02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Not to 'jack, but VD at UMD had incredible hands. Martz as a rule doesn't throw to TEs, so when VD dropped one of the 2 or 3 balls thrown his way, he was done catching the ball that day for the Niners.

VD became a pro bowler when Martz left, not a coincidence.

It's cool, like I said... I'm not a fan of Maryland and don't watch their games. I just follow the prospects. If you watched Vernon in college and he had great hands, then I believe you.

I'm a 49ers fan. Martz was only the OC for Vernon's third season. He was used more as a blocker that season, but he still had poor hands in the previous seasons.

You don't have to believe me. It's cool... I was just trying to give an example of a player that improved after they entered the league. I could be wrong.

shylo3716
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM

MARYLAND = Combine U

40+ vert? will his vert be better than A.J. Green because I'm pulling for him with the fastest combine 40?

Iamcanadian
02-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, Torrey Smith at this point as a prospect hasn't a clue how to run a route, He's strictly a deep receiver. Can he learn, I don't know but right now, he's a one trick pony.

ChiFan24
02-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Meh. Not really.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
02-28-2011, 09:05 PM
J40+ vert? will his vert be better than A.J. Green because I'm pulling for him with the fastest combine 40?

Torrey had 14 catches 224 yards 4 TDs vs NC state. Enough said. 41 inch vet, 4.42 eletric 40. Rock on.

J-Mike88
03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't see Torrey making it past the Packers at 32 if he's a good dude and not a primadona, thuggish, selfish punk. Remember, Dez almost fell that far last year and he's a lot more talented of a WR than Smith is, most would agree.

GoRavens
03-08-2011, 11:10 PM
being a maryland fan I don't buy into this Torrey Smith hype.
He basically get's 1st round consideration off of potential alone.
He's soft, and his routes are sluggish at best.
He's inconsistent and his hand's are average.
He's got fantastic speed, but his elusiveness isn't where it should be.

Halsey
03-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Doesn't Smith have smaller than average hands for a WR? I know people will say hand size doesn't matter as long as a guy knows how to catch, but that sounds more true than it actually is. It's simple fact that the size of your hands is going to play a role in how good you are at catching a ball. It's not everything, but when a WRs got to make a difficult catch, it helps to have big hands.

edit: I just looked up his combine measurements. It says his hands are normal size. I thought I heard or read somewhere he has small hands.

drd23
03-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Pretty much every site other than DC lists Torrey Smith's hands at 8 5/8". Draft Countdown lists them as 9 5/8"

TACKLE
03-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Pretty much every site other than DC lists Torrey Smith's hands at 8 5/8". Draft Countdown lists them as 9 5/8"

Yup, DC is the only place I've seen them listed at 9 5/8".