PDA

View Full Version : Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana

ElectricEye
02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I didn't get a chance to catch any Indiana games this year, sans that one crazy game with Michigan, so I'm sort of out of the loop on this guy. Heard he's a potential third round pick, but some people are even higher on him than that. He's got pretty good size at 6'2+ 205. I was surprised when I heard he came out early as he really wasn't on my radar as far as an early entry possibility...but he supposedly heard good things from the advisory committee about where he could be taken.

What kind of player will he be at the next level? What kind of athlete is he? Hard to be super productive at Indiana, but the numbers really aren't amazing. Any thoughts?

Caulibflower
02-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Another unremarkable prospect who shouldn't have left school.

RWills
02-10-2011, 10:46 PM

I disagree, I think he will suprise a few people, he is at least over 6' and heavier than 185. Good hands and fast, I have heard both sides on his route running, from a very savy route runner to has shown flashes but raw. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go with their 2nd 3rd round...if he is still there

ellsy82
02-11-2011, 12:37 AM

He's explosive. His straightline speed doesn't do him justice. But then again, straightline speed only provied Darius Heyward-Bay a paycheck, and he's done nothing to prove he's done otherwise.

I don't care what a 40-time is, if he shows me he can break away from a defender and make an open catch...I'm sold.

rawdawg
02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi, first timer here.

As an IU alum and former short-lived Hoosier walk-on, I suffered thru every game this season (and most other seasons). Tandon Doss is interesting to me. He won't be a star in any system, but should/could be solid given the right situation. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but does most things well enough.

Postives:
- Hands catcher. Rarely lets the ball get into his body. Very few drops.
- RAC. Because he catches with his hands, he's able to pick up yards and not slow down while the ball gets into his body.
- Good route runner, with the ability to get better.
- Good vs. off-man and zone coverage. Knows how to find the holes in the zone and give his QB a good target.
- Good size. Potential to go up and get a jump ball.
- Added value as a kick returner, though may not have the elite speed to be a gamebreaker at the next level.

Negatives:
- Despite his size, isn't as strong as you would expect a 6'3", 200lb player to be.
- Struggles vs. press coverage. Iowa, Ohio St, and Wisconsin played press man on him and he had rough games.
- Doesn't have elite speed. Probably will run in the 4.5s at the combine.

I can't fault him for leaving school early. IU could have a very scary QB situation next year with the loss of Ben Chappell. Also a new coaching staff. I also wouldn't read too much into his dropoff in production from 2009 to 2010. IU really focused on spreading the ball around more this year. TEs and RBs became factors in the pass game in 2010, and they were a legit 4 deep at WR.

defensiveback23
02-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi, first timer here.

As an IU alum and former short-lived Hoosier walk-on, I suffered thru every game this season (and most other seasons). Tandon Doss is interesting to me. He won't be a star in any system, but should/could be solid given the right situation. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but does most things well enough.

Postives:
- Hands catcher. Rarely lets the ball get into his body. Very few drops.
- RAC. Because he catches with his hands, he's able to pick up yards and not slow down while the ball gets into his body.
- Good route runner, with the ability to get better.
- Good vs. off-man and zone coverage. Knows how to find the holes in the zone and give his QB a good target.
- Good size. Potential to go up and get a jump ball.
- Added value as a kick returner, though may not have the elite speed to be a gamebreaker at the next level.

Negatives:
- Despite his size, isn't as strong as you would expect a 6'3", 200lb player to be.
- Struggles vs. press coverage. Iowa, Ohio St, and Wisconsin played press man on him and he had rough games.
- Doesn't have elite speed. Probably will run in the 4.5s at the combine.

I can't fault him for leaving school early. IU could have a very scary QB situation next year with the loss of Ben Chappell. Also a new coaching staff. I also wouldn't read too much into his dropoff in production from 2009 to 2010. IU really focused on spreading the ball around more this year. TEs and RBs became factors in the pass game in 2010, and they were a legit 4 deep at WR.

Great scouting report. I go to IU also and would like to add that he has great body control and leaping ability, but he does not always take advantage of it. Also a high character guy with an outstanding work ethic. I think he is going to be a steal for somebody in the 3rd round or later but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go a little higher than that because he has some great tools.

Also as a side note, it's a scary thought that we'll be missing Chappell that much :P

ElectricEye
02-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Stellar stuff guys, thanks for the information and analysis. Sounds like someone to keep an eye on for sure.