PDA

View Full Version : New York Giants Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

bigbluedefense
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Horton was a great Jerry Reese kind of move. The guy has a place on our roster as long as he still has some athleticism. He's a great in the box safety and he's decent in man coverage in underneath routes. Great tackler and special teamer too.

He's a good football pickup. Typical Reese. I like this pick up a lot.

LTgiants
03-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Giants sign punter Steve Weatherford to five-year, $12.75 million deal, per league source.

Giantsfan1080
03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Weatherford!!! I don't really know the deals for punters but that seems like a lot.

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
That doesn't seem too outrageous. Not an "elite" punter, but ~2 mil isn't bad for him at all. I wouldn't complain either way with this signing if I was a Giants fan.

I came in here to see if I've missed anything Free Agency wise with the Giants. What's the news, seems like you guys are being quiet, much like the Eagles have been,.

LTgiants
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
That doesn't seem too outrageous. Not an "elite" punter, but ~2 mil isn't bad for him at all. I wouldn't complain either way with this signing if I was a Giants fan.

I came in here to see if I've missed anything Free Agency wise with the Giants. What's the news, seems like you guys are being quiet, much like the Eagles have been,.

Signed Martellus Bennett, Signed Chris Horton, Restructured some contracts and resigned some of our own fa's like Terrell Thomas, Domenik Hixon, Justin Tryon and Michael Coe.

That's about it so far.

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Just finished looking over the last two pages or so. I remembered seeing Bennett the Bennett signing, but didn't hear about Horton. Low risk/med-high reward type contracts for Bennett and Horton. Smart moves.

Giantsfan1080
03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I love the Weatherford signing. I wasn't complaining at all.

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I love the Weatherford signing. I wasn't complaining at all.

I didn't think so, lol the "I wouldn't complain" was me saying since he's a (non-******) punter, making ~2 mil. Its not really a big enough deal to say he is making too much, or too little...

bigbluedefense
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Glad we locked him up. Thank you Jets. Thanks for the gift.

Rosebud
03-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Is anyone else really frustrated that they haven't brought back devin thomas or chase blackburn yet? Neither of them will probably earn more than the minimum...it bothers me

Umm...why? You never know what'll happen in FA, case in point Eric Winston getting cut, keep as much wiggle room as you can. Plus you never know when hardworking role players will be surpassed by even harder working role players the way Tyree was. I'll be happy to see them in camp but it's in no way a concern that they haven't been handed contracts yet.

Big_Pete
03-16-2012, 08:57 PM
We may not be completely done yet, it isn't uncommon for us to wait a little for the initial frenzy to subside and get guys we are after at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't mind us bringing in Tolbert to replace Jacobs.

I wonder if there is much trade talk happening with Osi?

OSUGiants17
03-16-2012, 10:02 PM
If we can get Demetrius Bell cheap I am all for it now that we have pretty much no shot at Winston.

OSUGiants17
03-16-2012, 10:04 PM
We may not be completely done yet, it isn't uncommon for us to wait a little for the initial frenzy to subside and get guys we are after at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't mind us bringing in Tolbert to replace Jacobs.

I wonder if there is much trade talk happening with Osi?

THIS! I would love Tolbert!

p.s POST 9,000! Woot :banana:

Rosebud
03-16-2012, 10:05 PM
If we can get Demetrius Bell cheap I am all for it now that we have pretty much no shot at Winston.

Is Marcus McNeil's spine ****** up for good yet?

OSUGiants17
03-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Is Marcus McNeill's spine ****** up for good yet?

Not yet, but it should be soon which is disappointing after the way he started out his career.

Big_Pete
03-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Here is how our roster is currently shaping up

QB - Manning, Carr, Perriloux

WR - Nicks, Cruz, Barden, Jernigan, Hixon, Stanback, DePalma

RB - Bradshaw, Ware, Brown, Scott

FB - Hynoski

TE - Bennett, Ballard*, Beckum*, Pascoe, Purvis, Hopkins, Donnell

OT - Diehl, Beatty, Brewer, Capers, Reinders

OG - Snee, Boothe, Petrus, White

OC - Baas, Cordle

DE -Tuck, Pierre-Paul, Umenyiora, Trattou, Marshall

DT - Canty, Joseph, Austin, Hendricks

LB - Kiwanuka, Boley, Williams, Sintim, Jones, Herzlich, Tracy, Paysinger

CB - Webster, Thomas, Amukamara, Johnson, Coe, Tryon, Bing

S - Rolle, Phillips, Horton, Sash

K - Tynes

P - Weatherford

LS - DeOssie

* likely PUP

Big_Pete
03-16-2012, 11:26 PM

I think we are ok with Beatty and Diehl as the immediate starters.

I do think we will draft a tackle in the draft for the future.

Big_Pete
03-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Last year Terrell Thomas was planned to replace Grant's role as the 3rd safety in our three safety sets. With Grant likely gone and Thomas healty, should we expect to see Thomas in that extra safety role?

Rosebud
03-17-2012, 01:12 AM
I think we are ok with Beatty and Diehl as the immediate starters.

I do think we will draft a tackle in the draft for the future.

Depends, Bell did reasonably well for the Bills and opened up good holes for Freddie Jackson. He could beat out both Beatty and Diehl for the LT job and is still young with enough talent that hasn't been squeezed out of him yet

That said I am still hoping for one of Mike Adams, Cordy Glenn or Kemechi Osemele.

Not yet, but it should be soon which is disappointing after the way he started out his career.

Haven't really been paying attention to much of the FA hooplah, but he wouldn't be the worst guy to bring into camp with a shot to win a starting spot if we do nothing else to address OT in FA.

Rosebud
03-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Last year Terrell Thomas was planned to replace Grant's role as the 3rd safety in our three safety sets. With Grant likely gone and Thomas healty, should we expect to see Thomas in that extra safety role?

I think they're still waiting to see how healthy he is, ergo the Chris Horton pick up who'd be perfect for that role if he's healthy himself and we do still have Sash in the fold who could be ready to take on the role. That said if TT is good to go I could see him getting plenty of time at Safety.

Big_Pete
03-17-2012, 03:40 AM
I think they're still waiting to see how healthy he is, ergo the Chris Horton pick up who'd be perfect for that role if he's healthy himself and we do still have Sash in the fold who could be ready to take on the role. That said if TT is good to go I could see him getting plenty of time at Safety.

There is potentially Chad Jones as well if he is healthy.

Horton is a good cheap option, but he has his on injury history.

OSUGiants17
03-17-2012, 01:04 PM
What do you guys think of bringing in Joe Mays to fill our whole at MIKE? He has the size and he is young and I like his potential.

bigbluedefense
03-17-2012, 02:19 PM

I think that role was made for him bc we still had Aaron Ross and we were going to play Amukamara as our nickel CB.

This year we won't have Ross, so in all likelihood Thomas will always play CB.

Rosebud
03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I think that role was made for him bc we still had Aaron Ross and we were going to play Amukamara as our nickel CB.

This year we won't have Ross, so in all likelihood Thomas will always play CB.

Here's the thing though. It wouldn't take many unexpected things happening for it to be better for the giants to have one of Bruce Johnson, Tryon or Coe on the field over Horton, Sash or Grant. If Horton's completely healthy and those inside corners struggle then TT would spend pretty much all of his time at corner, but we don't know how that'll play out yet.

bigbluedefense
03-17-2012, 02:48 PM
We'll adjust to injuries. I don't doubt that. But you don't want to sacrifice too much in the run game to put these CBs out there. We run big nickel as our base, you don't want to turn big nickel into a dime defense. You need some muscle for the run game still.

So ideally, I like Thomas at CB and a box safety as that 3rd safety. In a perfect world we'd have a 3 down linebacker at MIKE so we can play 4-3 as our base, but we're not quite there yet.

I want our defense to eventually become good enough that we can play against no huddle offenses without having to substitute.

We have the DBs to be versatile vs any formation, we have the dline to be versatile vs any formation, but we are missing that 1 LB that allows us to combat the no huddle and go into different formations and packages without substitutions.

Rosebud
03-17-2012, 02:52 PM
We'll adjust to injuries. I don't doubt that. But you don't want to sacrifice too much in the run game to put these CBs out there. We run big nickel as our base, you don't want to turn big nickel into a dime defense. You need some muscle for the run game still.

So ideally, I like Thomas at CB and a box safety as that 3rd safety. In a perfect world we'd have a 3 down linebacker at MIKE so we can play 4-3 as our base, but we're not quite there yet.

I want our defense to eventually become good enough that we can play against no huddle offenses without having to substitute.

We have the DBs to be versatile vs any formation, we have the dline to be versatile vs any formation, but we are missing that 1 LB that allows us to combat the no huddle and go into different formations and packages without substitutions.

True, hopefully they're all good to go so we have the versatility to adjust depending on the offense we're facing, take full advantage of our guys depth and use TT at Safety against the teams where we need to sacrifice some of that run D for the better coverage. T'would be awesome.

bigbluedefense
03-17-2012, 02:56 PM
We really are extremely lucky to have the safety duo we have. Most teams don't have 1 very good safety, we have 2 of them. And the best part about our safeties are how versatile they are. Both can line up in the slot and defend TEs in man, both can stuff the run, both can play single high, both can play robber, they both can basically do it all. Rolle excels more underneath while Kenny excels more at single high, but both are very versatile and really opens up what we can do on defense.

What sucks is I don't see us being able to afford to keep both long term, and it seems like we'll lose Kenny to FA eventually.

I don't think we appreciate how good Kenny is. Yes, he doesn't stand out on the TV angle, but the guy is so good at what he does, you just don't hear about him bc teams avoid going his way.

How many times did Kenny get beat deep this year? How many? I can't even remember 1 off the top of my head other than that Vernon Davis touchdown that was a brilliant play design.

OSUGiants17
03-17-2012, 03:57 PM
What do you guys think of bringing in Joe Mays to fill our whole at MIKE? He has the size and he is young and I like his potential.

Anyone????

bigbluedefense
03-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Anyone????

Not worth it. He's nothing special, we are better off drafting a guy. Plus we have Greg Jones anyway which is pretty much the same guy.

Big_Pete
03-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Not worth it. He's nothing special, we are better off drafting a guy. Plus we have Greg Jones anyway which is pretty much the same guy.

I don't see it. I think it is likely that we either bring back Goff cheaply or go with someone already on our roster. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a LB in the draft, but I doubt it is a priority.

phlysac
03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I know that Mario Manningham has been a frustrating case of having to take the good with the bad. I know that he has inconsistent hands and often struggled in Kevin Gilbride's read-based route system.

What are some of your opinions on how he might fair in a strict, timing-based west-coast philosophy?

NY+Giants=NYG
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I know that Mario Manningham has been a frustrating case of having to take the good with the bad. I know that he has inconsistent hands and often struggled in Kevin Gilbride's read-based route system.

What are some of your opinions on how he might fair in a strict, timing-based west-coast philosophy?

I think he can be VERY productive in another system that isn't ours! LOL. Our passing offense is basically has a lot of the Run and Shoot principles in it. He was very inconsistent, but last season played well overall when we needed him.

I do think in a whole different system he would play better and perhaps be more productive. I felt the same about this with Eli in terms of production as well. This is a hard system where you need your WRs to be smart AND be on the same page as the WRs. If something is different in terms of a pre snap and post snap read you get INTs.

Rio can be a solid guy if you eliminate the cerebral part of the game. I am looking forward to seeing him this season. Hopefully, in the future against us, he won't do well.

Big_Pete
03-18-2012, 02:36 AM
It think Manningham is a good option for the 49ers, he gives them a genuine deep threat to help open up their offense.

bigbluedefense
03-18-2012, 01:10 PM

I've said for a couple of years now that I think Mario can really thrive in a different system for a different team. He's got loads of potential, but he's just not going to realize it in our system. He's not smart enough. He showed flashes, but never put it together for 4 quarters bc he runs the wrong routes too often in our system.

In a simplified WCO that requires timing and rhythm, I think Mario can really excel. Don't make him think too much and let his natural athleticism shine. He'll thrive in this scheme.

Now to be fair, he's still not a great route runner. He rounds out cuts too often and drifts to the sidelines too often on go routes, but he'll cut down on the mental mistakes in a WCO and really should shine now.

Is he a true #1? I don't think he'll ever be that. But I do think in a different system he can be a much better player than he was for us. And I think he'll be a solid pickup as long as the money wasn't too over the top.

BaLLiN
03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
JStew? Id love it, but is it possible?

LTgiants
03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
JStew? Id love it, but is it possible?

He is going to need a new contract soon. I am pretty sure he is at the end or approaching the end of his rookie deal.

Rosebud
03-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Yeah, he's a FA next summer, if we could get him for a 3rd and new contract that'd be amazing.

OSUGiants17
03-20-2012, 05:56 AM
I will give up a 3rd and DJ Ware gladly

bigbluedefense
03-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Stick to the draft. I love JStew, think he's a great player, but we have to budget our money. I don't want to tie a lot of money to the RB position with so many key players on our team being FAs soon.

Ness
03-20-2012, 06:26 AM
It think Manningham is a good option for the 49ers, he gives them a genuine deep threat to help open up their offense.

Yes I'm pretty happy we signed him.

bigbluedefense
03-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Yes I'm pretty happy we signed him.

Did they ever release the terms of his contract? I know it's for 2 years. I'm surprised he was only able to land a 2 year contract.

Ness
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Did they ever release the terms of his contract? I know it's for 2 years. I'm surprised he was only able to land a 2 year contract.

No not yet. I don't think so.

Big_Pete
03-24-2012, 09:10 PM
The Panthers are reportedly shopping RB Jonathan Stewart.

Should we trade for him?

Stewart is in the last year of his rookie deal, so it is effectively a one year $1,311,250 deal.

Stewart is 25, has been pretty durable, playing in 62 out of 64 games. He has a career 3497 rushing yards, 26 TDs, with an average of 4.83/carry plus he has

He seems like the ideal option to replace Jacobs and unlike Jacobs, he is a genuine weapon in the passing game (last year he had 47 receptions for 413 yds, 1 TD.

With his contract situation Stewart is probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I don't think Reese is overly willing to part with picks. However how about trading Osi Umenyiora to Carolina for Jonthan Stewart?

Osi is probably worth a mid 2nd right now. Reese certainly won't trade Osi for less. I think trading Osi is on the cards, but only if we get a good priced offer for him, otherwise Reese will play hardball. It is worth noting we rejected late 2nd round offers from New England and Baltimore last year.

Both Osi and Stewart are in the last year of their deals. We could use the savings we get from trading Osi to work out a contract extension for Stewart.

Osi probably has a little more value that Stewart, we could also swap 3rd ot 4th round picks.

Any thoughts?

BaLLiN
03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
im thinking a third will do for stewart

BigBlueNorwegian
03-25-2012, 09:43 AM

It was released yesterday, and the numbers weren't huge at all. I think it was something like 2 years, 7,5 mill, 4.5 guaranteed or something like that. Not much at all, and I'm a little shocked that the Giants couldn't come up with something equal to this contract.

OSUGiants17
03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
IF we were to trade Osi for Stewart, and that's a huge if, we would have to get more out of it. Ideally swap 2nds or 3rds as well as Osi for Stewart.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Let's just see how the RBs on our roster and perhaps undrafted FAs and /or a draft pick all do. Let them duke it out for the 2 spots.

Bostonblows91
03-25-2012, 09:24 PM
It was released yesterday, and the numbers weren't huge at all. I think it was something like 2 years, 7,5 mill, 4.5 guaranteed or something like that. Not much at all, and I'm a little shocked that the Giants couldn't come up with something equal to this contract.

Yea i'm a bit disappointed, he has a 1.2M base salary in 12' and something like 3.6 in 13'. And we aren't going to trade Osi, it's not happening.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Giants owner tweaks Jets over Tebow news conference

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827db81c/article/giants-owner-tweaks-jets-over-tebow-news-conference?module=HP11_headline_stack

scottyboy
03-25-2012, 11:45 PM
apparently there's still been a lot of rumors floating around that Jacobs will be back on a cheap 1 year deal

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Mara was very talkative this weekend. Very unlike him.

scottyboy
03-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Mara was very talkative this weekend. Very unlike him.

i think at some point he's just like "we won the ******* super bowl and these clowns bringing in tebow are getting a **** ton of media coverage"

it gets old, as we all know, but I feel he's like hey, uhm guys, remember who really runs this town

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2012, 09:29 AM
i think at some point he's just like "we won the ******* super bowl and these clowns bringing in tebow are getting a **** ton of media coverage"

it gets old, as we all know, but I feel he's like hey, uhm guys, remember who really runs this town

Well he also made comments about the Redskins and Cowboys situation. He's usually above all the nonsense but I know it does irk them privately.

scottyboy
03-26-2012, 09:32 AM
that's true, it is very unlike him. although the david carr press conference thing was HILARIOUS

NY+Giants=NYG
03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
They take unprovoked shots at us all the time. I am sure there comes a time when you can't take anymore, and let it out. Screw them, while uncharacteristic of Mara, I am glad he did. It's like when Eli called out Tiki or defended himself before the 2007 season. After a while, you can only take enough.

bigbluedefense
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
I think the fact that we didn't extend Mario even after his contract offers were very matchable speaks volumes about how the organization truly felt about him.

I guess we just wanted to move in a different direction. I can't blame them for it. We need to save as much money as possible anyway to re-sign some other guys in the coming years.

No to Stewart. Again, great player, but we have to sign him to a deal. And right now with so many guys needing extensions, I definitely don't want to waste money at the RB position. That's the 1 position that we can get away with spending 800k a year on, let's save money so we can keep more important guys on the roster.

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
We get a 4th round comp pick. Very nice.

bigbluedefense
03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
A comp 4th is basically the same as our 4th this year since we draft at the end of the round. Makes me wonder if we'd consider packaging our own 4th now to move up in any particular round.

1st and a 4th to move up to draft Keuchly/Hill if either starts falling? That would be nice.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Osi in a draft day trade. If he does in fact get traded, it will be on draft day, we won't hear any trade before that.

I think we probably don't trade him at all but it wouldn't shock me if we do hear of him being traded on draft day.

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2012, 04:48 PM
I think we work out a new deal with Osi.

bigbluedefense
03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
How old is Osi? 31? Maybe we give him a 4 year contract that we can cut after 3 years?

We need to do it in a way that we don't lose JPP or Tuck. Bc I'm gonna be pissed if we lose either 1 later on bc we paid Osi to keep him happy.

Another under the radar guy that I really hope we don't lose is KP. I know many feel that he's not the same since the injury, but he's so damn good as a deep safety, and he's prototypical size, speed, and vision. I really want him back.

You know how advantageous it is to have 2 great versatile safeties like us with KP and Rolle? It's huge. It's a vital reason why we can match up with any kind of offense in this league.

Rosebud
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd much rather trade away Osi now, move Kiwi back to End full time, draft someone in the second or third and use the extra money saved on Osi to try to hold onto as many of JPP, Tuck/Kiwi, Joseph, Boley/Jacquain, Webster, Rolle, KP, Prince and TT as we can afford without having to take Cruz or Nicks away from Eli to give him enough of an OL to at least be able to pretend to run the ball.

OSUGiants17
03-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I know Mario didn't get paid much and we probably could have matched it, but he would never accept it unless we paid more. He wants the ball more(and deserves it), he feels he would be a number three WR here and a number two or one WR there, and he wants to play in warm weather.

Bostonblows91
03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd much rather trade away Osi now, move Kiwi back to End full time, draft someone in the second or third and use the extra money saved on Osi to try to hold onto as many of JPP, Tuck/Kiwi, Joseph, Boley/Jacquain, Webster, Rolle, KP, Prince and TT as we can afford without having to take Cruz or Nicks away from Eli to give him enough of an OL to at least be able to pretend to run the ball.

no wayyy honestly kiwi's run support from the LBer position is so damn valuable to us, put on some giants games this past year and just watch for that you'll see what i mean.

LonghornsLegend
03-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I know Mario didn't get paid much and we probably could have matched it, but he would never accept it unless we paid more. He wants the ball more(and deserves it), he feels he would be a number three WR here and a number two or one WR there, and he wants to play in warm weather.

He did go to Michigan though, he didn't strike me as a UM guy down there in the sun and on the beach for years. But what confuses me is although the Niners don't have the top WR's you guys have, he could still very well end up the #4 option. Crabs is still a top 10 pick who technically hasn't been a bust yet and he's going to get a ton of chances still, Moss is a wildcard but I'd like to think he's going to be stretching the field and from reports of his workouts he'll be pretty good, as well as Vernon Davis as the #1 receiving option.

He had visited with the Rams, he could have signed and been the #1 guy right now, likely #2 after they take Blackmon and be in a perfect compliment role with a ton of looks. San Fran doesn't even throw the ball that much, so behind Vernon Davis there isn't even a bunch of room for production so it seems like all the WR's will just cancel themselves out to an extent.

I figured the Rams were perfect for him, unless he still wants a chance to win a SB in which case he made the right choice. I just thought he wanted to be "The man" so to speak, I don't really see the room for him to take off in his career.

Big_Pete
03-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Reese made some comments about free ageny recently

from
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_stay_cool_on_free_agents_uNDRKopxpU4bDV1lYu OApL?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Giants&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“There’s still some things to do in free agency for us, I think,” Reese said yesterday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “We’ve just got to kind of slow-play it a little bit and see who’s out there and what is available for us and what our needs are as we continue the offseason process.’’

Reese said the Giants will “look down the road and see what the draft’s going to bring for us.’’

Perhaps the only glaring hole on the roster is middle linebacker, where free agents Chase Blackburn and Jonathan Goff remain unsigned. As constituted, the Giants would have to turn to Mark Herzlich or Greg Jones entering their second seasons. Reese admitted “I’m not sure’’ when asked who would start in the middle if the season began tomorrow.

“We have some interesting candidates for that job,” Reese said. “We have some young players that we think can step in and do the job. Obviously, Herzlich is a guy we like. We like Greg Jones. There are two young kids that played a lot for us last year until Mark got hurt.’’

Reese also mentioned outside linebacker Michael Boley as a possibility.

Reese admitted losing Mario Manningham in free agency (he signed a two-year deal with the 49ers) was expected.

“The salary cap rules the world,’’ he said. “If you have a lot of good players you just can’t retain them all. That’s just the way it is.’’

Reese also said he expected offensive lineman James Brewer entering his second season to challenge for playing time, possibly as Kareem McKenzie’s replacement as the starting right tackle, and mentioned left tackle David Diehl as “still available for us’’ to move over to the right side if needed.

Reese expressed concern for defensive tackle Marvin Austin, who has missed the past two seasons because of a suspension while at North Carolina and his entire NFL rookie year with a torn pectoral muscle.

“We’re worried about him a little bit,’’ Reese said. “He hasn’t played in such a long time now.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_stay_cool_on_free_agents_uNDRKopxpU4bDV1lYu OApL#ixzz1qJJkKRVk

Big_Pete
03-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Here are some free agents I would like to see considered.

We don't have huge amounts of cap room, but I think there are a few players that would really help our depth heading into the draft.

RB Justin Forsett (Seattle)
FB Owen Schmitt (Philadelphia)
WR Devin Thomas
DT Derek Landri (Philadelphia)
DT Amobi Okoye (Chicago)
DT Rocky Bernard
DE Dave Tollefson
LB David Hawthorne (Seattle)
LB Jon Goff
LB London Fletcher (Washington)
S Courtney Greene (Jacksonville)
S Reggie Smith (San Fransisco)
S Sabby Piscatelli (Kansas City)
S Derek Martin

bigbluedefense
03-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Bring back Blackburn, Thomas, and Tolly all to league minimum deals. That accounts for the rest of the cap.

I'm fine with just bringing our own guys back. The rest of that group is very underwhelming.

bigbluedefense
03-27-2012, 07:57 AM
How did you guys feel about the SB DVD? I liked the 46 one better than 42, I think it was done better.

The extra content isn't as good as 42 though. That disappointed me.

What really stood out to me is how we replaced Strahan as the vocal leader. In 42, every time they showed the sidelines it was Strahan talking. Now in 46, you saw everyone step up in their own ways. Jacobs, Boley, Tuck, Eli, Grant, they all took turns.

Eli looked so in command of the offense, so confident and completely in charge of that offense. He's mastered Gilbride's offense. We have to keep that offense as long as Eli is our qb. As much as we hate on Gilbride every now and then, there's no way we should ever run a different offense until Eli retires. He's too deep in it to change it on him now. He's perfected it.

Giantsfan1080
03-27-2012, 08:05 AM
I just ordered the BluRay over the weekend so I should be getting it tomorrow or Thursday. I can't wait to watch.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-27-2012, 03:13 PM
How did you guys feel about the SB DVD? I liked the 46 one better than 42, I think it was done better.

The extra content isn't as good as 42 though. That disappointed me.

What really stood out to me is how we replaced Strahan as the vocal leader. In 42, every time they showed the sidelines it was Strahan talking. Now in 46, you saw everyone step up in their own ways. Jacobs, Boley, Tuck, Eli, Grant, they all took turns.

Eli looked so in command of the offense, so confident and completely in charge of that offense. He's mastered Gilbride's offense. We have to keep that offense as long as Eli is our qb. As much as we hate on Gilbride every now and then, there's no way we should ever run a different offense until Eli retires. He's too deep in it to change it on him now. He's perfected it.

I am very split on this issue. I agree, I don't think we are ever switching, but I will always wonder how well we could do with Eli in another system, and I'd go far as saying one that padded QB stats. Or let me say this what happened if we threw 663 times like Stafford did last season? How many TDs can Eli get? How would we do?

I don't mind Gilbride, but the situational play calling in short yardage and red zone bothers me. If I saw that damn draw again..... Put the ball in Eli's hands and let him throw it.

OSUGiants17
03-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Bring back Blackburn, Thomas, and Tolly all to league minimum deals. That accounts for the rest of the cap.

I'm fine with just bringing our own guys back. The rest of that group is very underwhelming.

I'd be fine with this now that Lofton is off the Market. Bring back those 3(maybe Goff too) and then build through the draft like we always do

Giantsfan1080
03-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Reese stated today that Boley might start at MLB.

OSUGiants17
03-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Reese stated today that Boley might start at MLB.

Opens up room for Williams to start which I like a lot.

Kiwi-Boley-Williams would be a solid package. Our OLBs could then blitz and cover real well and Boley has shown he is the brains of our D.

Giantsfan1080
03-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Realistically we're not going to play a 3 LB set all that much. In today's NFL it's all about the D-Line and CB's. I'm starting to de-emphasize the importance of a MLB on the draft board.

bigbluedefense
03-27-2012, 09:47 PM
You want a 3 down Mike bc you want players who are versatile enough to play vs the no huddle with minimal substitutions. Its a huge advantage to keep your field general on the field all 3 downs. It allows for more versatile play calling vs no huddle.

You want a 3 down Mike, a Sam who can play de in nickel, and a LE who can play dt in nickel. That makes your defense very versatile with minimal substitutions. You'd essentially just have to switch out a cb for a nt when needed.

Giantsfan1080
03-28-2012, 06:50 AM
You want a 3 down Mike bc you want players who are versatile enough to play vs the no huddle with minimal substitutions. Its a huge advantage to keep your field general on the field all 3 downs. It allows for more versatile play calling vs no huddle.

You want a 3 down Mike, a Sam who can play de in nickel, and a LE who can play dt in nickel. That makes your defense very versatile with minimal substitutions. You'd essentially just have to switch out a cb for a nt when needed.

The Mike doesn't need to be the captain of the defense anymore. Boley clearly knows the D the best and is our field general out there. If he's on the field without a true Mike then we are fine. If you we think Boley can play all 3 LB positions there really is no need for a true MLB. In today's NFL you switch out a lot anyway especially us with the depth we have.

Bostonblows91
03-28-2012, 08:42 AM
"Coughlin says Osi will definitely be a Giant in 2012. "I'm not thinking of anything else" other than Umenyiora returning to the team." Per Bart Hubbuch interview with TC

Giantsfan1080
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm going to miss Jacobs.

stillma7ic
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Ugh this has got be the most disrespected Superbowl Champion team since the 07 Giants. I know we like to go under the radar but this as a fan I can't help but get upset. The Around the Horn discussion about how the NFL opener should not involve the Giants put me over the top.

BigBlueNorwegian
03-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Ugh this has got be the most disrespected Superbowl Champion team since the 07 Giants. I know we like to go under the radar but this as a fan I can't help but get upset. The Around the Horn discussion about how the NFL opener should not involve the Giants put me over the top.

I don't have a problem with it at all. By now, we should be more comfortable as fans the less the media talks about us. If there's one thing I have learned from these past five years of being a Giants fan, it is that no hype = better chances of succeeding for them.

Let the media hype up Tim Tebow and the Cowboys and whoever as much as they like. The last time we were disrespected after winning a Super Bowl, we were the best team in the NFL until Plax shot himself.

Giantsfan1080
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
How did you become a Giants fan Norwegian?

Giantsfan1080
03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
I absolutely love the new rings.

http://distilleryimage10.instagram.com/41b20c2079ba11e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

Big_Pete
03-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Here is the details if Curtis Lofton's deal with the saints.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/33125/breaking-down-curtis-loftons-deal

It is a pity we couldn't work out that kind of deal, it would have been good value

Giantsfan1080
03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/33125/breaking-down-curtis-loftons-deal

It is a pity we couldn't work out that kind of deal, it would have been good value

Come on you know how Reese works.

BigBlueNorwegian
03-30-2012, 09:07 AM
How did you become a Giants fan Norwegian?

By coincidence, actually!

I have always been a major sports idiot since I was a little boy, and follow a lot of sports very closely(Soccer, Cycling,all winter sports, Tennis,etc).So much so that I am currently studying to become a sports journalist. In the last days of January 2008 I read an article in a Norwegian newspaper about the NFL. I didn't know anything about football at the time, but I was intrigued by the sport in general. So that night I decided to stay up and watch the AFC and NFC conference championships.

First up was Chargers-Pats. I watched that game, but it was a boring game with lots of field goals and little offense( which is what you first notice when you're a noob :p) and I was so bored and sleepy that I fell asleep on the couch before the Giants-Packers game.

Two weeks later, it was time for Super Bowl XLII. I decided to stay up with my dad and a friend and watch the game, even though I found the first ever game I saw pretty boring. So I decided to root for the underdog, the Giants. The Patriots bored me, and they were undefeated. You never root for undefeated teams unless you are a fan. Little did I know that this game would lead to countless of sleepless nights in front of the computer, cursing players and referees at the other side of the globe.

After that game, I was hooked. I mean, think about it yourselves. If that was the "first" NFL game you saw, you would have been hooked as well. And you would probably be Giants fans, like I became that night.

I guess that kind of makes me a bandwagon fan, lol. But I am not planning on jumping ship until the day I die. I am a Giants fan for life now, and I have seen every game the Giants have played, Preseason, Regular season and Postseason since then. And football is now my favorite sport, even more so than soccer. It's sort of frowned upon in Europe :p

Giantsfan1080
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Excellent story. You have good timing and chose well. We just need you to root for Rutgers football as a college team and you'll be set!

Bostonblows91
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM

Yea but the longer the market drags on the cheaper these guys get, maybe we could get hawthorne on a cheap deal, unlikely but he'd be a welcome addition, and so long after free agency started he'll probably take a pretty cheap deal somewhere.

bigbluedefense
03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
By coincidence, actually!

I have always been a major sports idiot since I was a little boy, and follow a lot of sports very closely(Soccer, Cycling,all winter sports, Tennis,etc).So much so that I am currently studying to become a sports journalist. In the last days of January 2008 I read an article in a Norwegian newspaper about the NFL. I didn't know anything about football at the time, but I was intrigued by the sport in general. So that night I decided to stay up and watch the AFC and NFC conference championships.

First up was Chargers-Pats. I watched that game, but it was a boring game with lots of field goals and little offense( which is what you first notice when you're a noob :p) and I was so bored and sleepy that I fell asleep on the couch before the Giants-Packers game.

Two weeks later, it was time for Super Bowl XLII. I decided to stay up with my dad and a friend and watch the game, even though I found the first ever game I saw pretty boring. So I decided to root for the underdog, the Giants. The Patriots bored me, and they were undefeated. You never root for undefeated teams unless you are a fan. Little did I know that this game would lead to countless of sleepless nights in front of the computer, cursing players and referees at the other side of the globe.

After that game, I was hooked. I mean, think about it yourselves. If that was the "first" NFL game you saw, you would have been hooked as well. And you would probably be Giants fans, like I became that night.

I guess that kind of makes me a bandwagon fan, lol. But I am not planning on jumping ship until the day I die. I am a Giants fan for life now, and I have seen every game the Giants have played, Preseason, Regular season and Postseason since then. And football is now my favorite sport, even more so than soccer. It's sort of frowned upon in Europe :p

Great story! We're proud to have you as a fellow Giant fan. Try to stop by and watch a game at the stadium one day.

BigBlueNorwegian
03-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Excellent story. You have good timing and chose well. We just need you to root for Rutgers football as a college team and you'll be set!

Haha, I can root for Rutgers! Don't know much about the team or the college, but most of you guys in here roots for them, so that's enough for me! Sadly, It's really hard to find good ways to watch college football in Norway. We have a channel called ESPN America, which airs college games, but my stupid cable provider refuses to broadcast that channel :grrrrrr:

Great story! We're proud to have you as a fellow Giant fan. Try to stop by and watch a game at the stadium one day.

That's a goal of mine, and it will happen! Possibly this fall, actually! Me and my roommate are planning a trip to NYC, and I managed to talk him into going to a Giants-game! We are also planning on going to a game at Madison Square Garden, probably a hockey game since my roommate is half swedish and a big hockey nut.

If it happens I might need you guys to answer some basic questions about where to sit in the stadiums, how to get there, etc. It would be nice if some of us could meet up for a beer as well!

NY+Giants=NYG
03-31-2012, 09:50 AM
I like rings to be more football/oval shaped or square shaped. The circular shaped rings looks stupid in my opinion when compared to prior SB rings.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Who is Dan DePalma? Only the Giants’ secret weapon in practice

http://nfl.si.com/2012/02/02/who-is-dan-depalma-only-the-giants-secret-weapon-in-practice/

Giantsfan1080
04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Giants signed DB Stevie Brown.

LTgiants
04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Giants signed DB Stevie Brown.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9600000/-Who-Animated-gif-arrested-development-9659488-432-240.gif

Giantsfan1080
04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
DB from the Colts. I never heard of him either.

bigbluedefense
04-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I really wouldn't mind if we can re-sign McKenzie on a 1 year contract. There's no interest in him anywhere else, maybe we can get him cheap on a 1 year contract.

Gives Brewer another year to refine his craft before we insert him into the lineup, or we can draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd and develop him for a year while McKenzie gives us 1 more good year.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
http://nyc.3432.voxcdn.com/files/2012/04/Eli-Manning-Shirtless-Pictures-Baby-Wife-Miami-480x480.jpg

Eli and family.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Victor Cruz says 'holdout' from Giants not in his vocabulary
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/victor_cruz_says_holdout_from.html

Bostonblows91
04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Beckum said on twitter that his doctor said there's a good chance he'll be back for start of new season

Giantsfan1080
04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Not that it really matters but we're playing @Jags, @Jets, Bears, and Pats in the preseason.

OSUGiants17
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
As long as we don't lose to the Jags or Jets I don't care. Jags because they suck so much and Jets so we don't hear **** from ignorant Jet fans who think a pre-season win means something.

BaLLiN
04-04-2012, 11:39 PM
As long as we don't lose to the Jags or Jets I don't care. Jags because they suck so much and Jets so we don't hear **** from ignorant Jet fans who think a pre-season win means something.

Same

Victor Cruz says 'holdout' from Giants not in his vocabulary
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/victor_cruz_says_holdout_from.html

I love this guy, he is a good kid and well mannered.

BaLLiN
04-06-2012, 03:02 AM
We need some way to free up space in FA. A couple FA's we should look at:

DT Amobi Okoye only 24
RB Larod Stephens-Howling
RB Justin Forsett
WR Braylon Edwards
OL Chris Kemoeatu
DT Aubrayo Franklin
DE Dave Tollefson
MLB Barrett Ruud (I know he's gotten a bad rep but he played tampa 2 and is decent in coverage)
LB Quentin Groves (rushbacker)
LB Chase Blackburn
LB Jonathan Goff
CB Marcus Trufant (what happened to this guy?)
S Deon Grant

bigbluedefense
04-06-2012, 06:33 AM
We need some way to free up space in FA. A couple FA's we should look at:

DT Amobi Okoye only 24sucks
RB Larod Stephens-Howlinggood but not worth the money it would take
RB Justin Forsettsee Larod
WR Braylon Edwardscan't catch but would be interesting
OL Chris Kemoeatumeh
DT Aubrayo Franklinold and washed up
DE Dave Tollefsonwould love to bring him back
MLB Barrett Ruud (I know he's gotten a bad rep but he played tampa 2 and is decent in coverage)sucks vs the run
LB Quentin Groves (rushbacker)meh
LB Chase Blackburnwould love to bring him back
LB Jonathan Goffwouldn't mind bringing him back
CB Marcus Trufant (what happened to this guy?)washed up
S Deon Grantwould love to bring him back

I basically want our own guys back and that's it. Maybe Braylon, but I rather draft somebody.

Giantsfan1080
04-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I would take a shot on Okoye with all the help he has around him.

BaLLiN
04-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Stephens-Howling and Forsett would be great with our passing game i feel

Giantsfan1080
04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Wosi officially gone now. :(

NY+Giants=NYG
04-06-2012, 08:38 PM
To the Raiders of all places. We have had a lot of players end up there. And in one year they are done and gone.

scottyboy
04-06-2012, 08:42 PM
looks like tonight is turning into sad drinkign night now :(

NY+Giants=NYG
04-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Why is that?

Giantsfan1080
04-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Why is that?

Because Tolly was his favorite player.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Because Tolly was his favorite player.

Really? Him out of all people? That's the first person that I heard to have Tolly as his favorite player. That's why I am not really emotionally attached to anyone. I don't really have a favorite player.

scottyboy
04-07-2012, 10:01 AM
i loved tolly :(

i love blackburn even more! i might be a mess come the start of the season if we don't bring him back

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 10:37 AM
I think Chase is my favorite player too.

Webster as my dark horse. I love DBs.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I had one growing up, but now don't really have one. I try to keep no emotional attachments which I feels gives me a better perspective on the game because I am not letting emotion dictate how I feel. Anyone and everyone can be replaced is the mentality I keep so this way I am not having 5 favorites and sad when they leave.

CDCB14
04-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Tollefson is the once you broke DeMarco Murray's ankle! You bastard Giants.. they all play their part!

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Booooo! I say Boooooooooo!

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I like Tolly, was a great special teamer and a try hard guy who I probably underrated on defense. Great character guy, great for the locker room, just a good guy to have on your team.

But at the same time, this probably means more snaps for Kiwi at DE, so I'm not too sad about it.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
We will be fine, let's see what PS guy or undrafted FA makes the team. Kiwi will take snaps, and maybe Justin Tratou or whatever can help out. He is a DE and on the team right? Let's see what the next guys can do.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
We can draft someone. I wouldn't mind Mercilus in the first round. Or Vinny Curry in the 2nd.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 11:31 AM
If Mercilus is BPA and can strike a balance with filling a need too, then fine. But if other players are better on the board then my stance is saying quickly no thank you!

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
If Mercilus is BPA and can strike a balance with filling a need too, then fine. But if other players are better on the board then my stance is saying quickly no thank you!

I agree. I'm a BPA guy.

I'm hoping Stephen Hill is there at 32.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree. I'm a BPA guy.

I'm hoping Stephen Hill is there at 32.

You know I like my offensive toys, but same applies. If he is BPA, then fine by me. I believe we need another weapon with the loss of Mario. But the lack of production due to system bothers me. Can he get this system? It's not like he was in a big time passing system, and has to learn this. I don't want another Barden in terms of waiting for to see progress in the development dept.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
He'll be BPA. He's not Barden. Barden is slow off the line, lazy, and soft. This guy has none of those traits.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 11:42 AM
He'll be BPA. He's not Barden. Barden is slow off the line, lazy, and soft. This guy has none of those traits.

We don't know that. We haven't talked to the guy, his coaches, or break down the wide and tight shot. That's just fan talk. Doesn't mean you are not right. You may very well be accurate, how ever that's just fan talk.

Falls in the same line as the QB isn't making the right read or many other cliches. But, if the coaches sign off on him even with less experience in a passing system, then that's good, but developing him is the key.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
We don't know that. We haven't talked to the guy, his coaches, or break down the wide and tight shot. That's just fan talk. Doesn't mean you are not right. You may very well be accurate, how ever that's just fan talk.

Falls in the same line as the QB isn't making the right read or many other cliches. But, if the coaches sign off on him even with less experience in a passing system, then that's good, but developing him is the key.

I know it's fan talk. It's basically me saying I feel confident enough that if he's taken at 32 (if he's there) that the scouts and coaching staff feel the same way about him as I do.

If we can't have fan talk here, then there's no point of even having this forum. Bc none of us know anything about what goes on in the building. We can only speculate.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I know it's fan talk. It's basically me saying I feel confident enough that if he's taken at 32 (if he's there) that the scouts and coaching staff feel the same way about him as I do.

If we can't have fan talk here, then there's no point of even having this forum. Bc none of us know anything about what goes on in the building. We can only speculate.

To an extent, we can talk about personnel, and scheme and how they are utilized. You and I do a good job of bypassing the normal fan BS that you read on a MB. I don't see it as a problem with you. When you do bring your A game, it's a good game. I am just saying in general, we don't know about the lazy and such part without access to the kid. That's what I meant by that.

Also, I would even say out of the people on this board, you're one of the very, very few who actually talk football, and not the normal fan talk nonsense. So that's a credit to you even then you like the other side of the ball.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
To an extent, we can talk about personnel, and scheme and how they are utilized. You and I do a good job of bypassing the normal fan BS that you read on a MB. I don't see it as a problem with you. When you do bring your A game, it's a good game. I am just saying in general, we don't know about the lazy and such part without access to the kid. That's what I meant by that.

Also, I would even say out of the people on this board, you're one of the very, very few who actually talk football, and not the normal fan talk nonsense. So that's a credit to you even then you like the other side of the ball.

Oh I know it wasn't a shot at me. Don't worry, I was just saying in general.

Stephen Hill to me, is like JPP in the sense that he can easily bust as well as easily become a stud. He needs to go to the right team to succeed. I think we're one of the best teams in the league at developing talent and we have a very good program in doing so, which is why for our team I'm a big fan of getting the athletes that we can mold into good players.

That approach doesn't work with every team, or for every individual for that matter. That's why, when I look at a workout warrior, I look for for the following:

1. Good character/work ethic
-We cannot say with certainty that Hill has this, but all indications by ppl with sources says he's a model citizen with great work ethic and no character concerns. So that's a good sign.

2. Does he flash potential?
-Hill clearly does. He made tough catches in college, gives full effort all the time, is a willing blocker, and I've seen him absolutely beast it. At the combine he ran the route tree brilliantly, and gave a lot of effort running his routes (more than a lot of guys there) and made great hand catches.

If he has the character, motor and work ethic to go with the measurables, I'm willing to gamble on the workout warrior. I think we have the locker room and coaching staff to develop a workout warrior if he has the right personality traits.

The route tree is a little overrated. Maclin didn't run any pro style routes in college either and isn't half the athlete that Hill is. He's doing just fine. And with Hill developing as our 3, he won't have to be "the guy" from day one, he can take his time to develop.

And I'm sure he can't be any worse than Mario. I view him in a worst case scenario, as a taller faster version of Mario who can run down the field and catch 2 big passes every now and then.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 12:11 PM
And before you say it bc I know it's coming, yes I'm very aware that our system is much more complex and our route combinations/tree is very different.

Even with our complexity, I'm ok with taking him bc I feel he can develop with time. He's not a guy I expect to come in and beast from day 1, he's a long term investment to me.

Which is fine.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
And before you say it bc I know it's coming, yes I'm very aware that our system is much more complex and our route combinations/tree is very different.

Even with our complexity, I'm ok with taking him bc I feel he can develop with time. He's not a guy I expect to come in and beast from day 1, he's a long term investment to me.

Which is fine.

That's the key part. Route tree is all fine and good. I am not worried about that when it comes to us. I care about the many, many adjustments in the form of option and choice routes. That's what would keep me up all night. Potential is there, I agree. But can that potential be translated to our system? I'd bring him in and see if he can be taught in limited amount of time, and go up to the board, and remember what I taught him.

I like his potential a lot, but WR is a very tricky thing especially in our system. If we ran another system, I'd say sure, bring any guy down, and let's coach him up and see what we have. But within the confines of our system, which you are aware of, I am very skeptical of new toys that come in the form of WR.

If we draft him round 1 then I am sure the staff and scouts think he could be a good fit. Then let him play Z, Nicks X, and have Cruz and JJ be F and H respectively. In a 2 X 2 set, I think we'd have a deadly personnel package there.

scottyboy
04-07-2012, 12:33 PM
to be fair, if Mario started to get somewhat of a hang in our offense, and cruz seems to have picked it up after 2 years pretty well, I feel like Hill wouldn't have too much trouble, especially if he does have football smarts

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 12:36 PM

That's just not true about Barden at all.

Anyway Trattou will be getting the snaps most likely. He looked good in preseason and even played a little during the Redskins game in Week 1. We do need to have a white DE.

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Anyway Trattou will be getting the snaps most likely. He looked good in preseason and even played a little during the Redskins game in Week 1. We do need to have a white DE.

Sash and Herzy are currently the only whites on our defense, castefootball must be fuming!

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Sash and Herzy are currently the only whites on our defense, castefootball must be fuming!

Haha. There might be a protest at the Timex center.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM

How is it not true?

He is slow off the line. You jam him and make him re-accelerate and he comes out of his breaks very slow.

He is lazy, and soft, he's in Coughlin's doghouse for a reason. Him riding the bike all summer when he could have gutted it out and played did not please Coughlin.

Yes, if you're a good player you can ride that bike. When you're a guy trying to make the team, and show you can become a legit #3, you don't have that luxury. Suck it up and get out there.

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Haha. There might be a protest at the Timex center.

I think we have less than 15 white people on our team....holy ****

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
How is it not true?

He is slow off the line. You jam him and make him re-accelerate and he comes out of his breaks very slow.

He is lazy, and soft, he's in Coughlin's doghouse for a reason. Him riding the bike all summer when he could have gutted it out and played did not please Coughlin.

Yes, if you're a good player you can ride that bike. When you're a guy trying to make the team, and show you can become a legit #3, you don't have that luxury. Suck it up and get out there.

He is not lazy and soft. That's just ridiculous and you are not at practice and have no idea. He's not in Coughlin's doghouse and was widely praised in camps as one of the harder working players. It's fine if you think he's slow off the line but the lazy and soft comments are a joke.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 01:30 PM
He is not lazy and soft. That's just ridiculous and you are not at practice and have no idea. He's not in Coughlin's doghouse and was widely praised in camps as one of the harder working players. It's fine if you think he's slow off the line but the lazy and soft comments are a joke.

How is he not in Coughlin's doghouse? He was benched and basically inactivated after he was awful vs the Jets and didn't even suit up for the entire playoff run. And he was perfectly healthy. How is that not being in a dog house?

If we draft Hill I'm willing to give Barden this year as his final shot. But this truly is his final chance. I know you like him, but the guy has run out of chances.

If he can't step it up in this year, he needs to get cut. There's no use for an oft injured #4 WR who can't play special teams. It's a waste of a roster spot.

Rosebud
04-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I had one growing up, but now don't really have one. I try to keep no emotional attachments which I feels gives me a better perspective on the game because I am not letting emotion dictate how I feel. Anyone and everyone can be replaced is the mentality I keep so this way I am not having 5 favorites and sad when they leave.

*shrug* It's part of being a fan for me. Sure it means I'll be a little disappointed when Eli's no longer our QB, but when that happens it'll probably be in the best interests of the team. Anyone can be replaced, but that doesn't mean that they're going to get replaced right away. Hell my favorite players don't always play for my favorite team, I'm a knicks fan but some of my favorite players in the NBA are Dirk Nowitzki, Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Omer Asik, Manu and Danilo Gallinari...I think I just realized that I am a terrible racist...my point was it's not just about playing for my favorite team and being the best guys for our team to succeed, I've had plenty of favorite players that I hoped wouldn't start because ti would be better for the team, didn't mean I didn't have love for the guy...seriously still a little blown away by how quickly I was able to spit out 6 white guys in the NBA and one of the whitest black guys the league has ever had. Worst part is I didn't bring in some other white boys that I'm a big fan of from other teams like Love, Pekovic, Korver and Scalabrine...

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
*shrug* It's part of being a fan for me. Sure it means I'll be a little disappointed when Eli's no longer our QB, but when that happens it'll probably be in the best interests of the team. Anyone can be replaced, but that doesn't mean that they're going to get replaced right away. Hell my favorite players don't always play for my favorite team, I'm a knicks fan but some of my favorite players in the NBA are Dirk Nowitzki, Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Omer Asik, Manu and Danilo Gallinari...I think I just realized that I am a terrible racist...my point was it's not just about playing for my favorite team and being the best guys for our team to succeed, I've had plenty of favorite players that I hoped wouldn't start because ti would be better for the team, didn't mean I didn't have love for the guy...seriously still a little blown away by how quickly I was able to spit out 6 white guys in the NBA and one of the whitest black guys the league has ever had. Worst part is I didn't bring in some other white boys that I'm a big fan of from other teams like Love, Pekovic, Korver and Scalabrine...

Haha! It's ok bud, I noticed it awhile ago. You love you some white basketball players. Especially the European ones.

Actually, I think you love European basketball players in general, regardless of race.

I'm still upset that we couldn't get Rubio btw. I still love that guy.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
How is he not in Coughlin's doghouse? He was benched and basically inactivated after he was awful vs the Jets and didn't even suit up for the entire playoff run. And he was perfectly healthy. How is that not being in a dog house?

If we draft Hill I'm willing to give Barden this year as his final shot. But this truly is his final chance. I know you like him, but the guy has run out of chances.

If he can't step it up in this year, he needs to get cut. There's no use for an oft injured #4 WR who can't play special teams. It's a waste of a roster spot.

He was benched because he doesn't play ST and everyone was finally back healthy.

I agree this is his definitely his final year. His contract is up after this year and if he shows nothing then of course they'll let him walk. Besides the Jets game he did flash a really good set of hands. Some of the catches he made he just went for the ball and grabbed a few out of the DB's hands. In the Jets game he didn't do that but at least he was open enough where Eli saw it fit to go his way.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I have some weird favorite Giants. Besides Eli I think Webster and Linval Joseph are my current favorites.

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I have some weird favorite Giants. Besides Eli I think Webster and Linval Joseph are my current favorites.

For me it's gotta be Tuck, and after this year I've got quite the mancrush on JPP and Williams

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I like a lot of our players. I think it's harder for me to name players I dislike.

Beckum
Barden
Baas
Beatty
Jernigan

I think that's pretty much it.

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I like a lot of our players. I think it's harder for me to name players I dislike.

Beckum
Barden
Baas
Beatty
Jernigan

I think that's pretty much it.

What do you have against B's!?!?!? Huh?

Rosebud
04-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Haha! It's ok bud, I noticed it awhile ago. You love you some white basketball players. Especially the European ones.

Actually, I think you love European basketball players in general, regardless of race.

I'm still upset that we couldn't get Rubio btw. I still love that guy.

Yeah, Dirk makes sense since he's a fellow German, the only one who's any good at basketball, Ricky and Gallo make sense to, I watched them play great as kids over in europe before coming to the NBA and they have the traits that are most important to me in basketball and hockey for players with the skillset to succeed, they have great work ethic, are mentally tough and have great awareness for what's going on on the court. Plus they've made me fans of the teams they play for since I started watching them a lot more this year.

Hell I have clear reasons for liking all of those players, Duncan, Nahs and Manu cause they're amazing and Asik because Stacy King is my 1b favorite announcer in any sport, Clyde being 1a, and not only is "asik and destroy" when of the best calls in sports, but he calls Asik out for not palying strong, which is what I've been jokingly saying about Asik for two years now. If I ever get rich the first thing I'm doing is hiring Stacy and Clyde to personally announce a knicks-bulls game live for me n my friends.

Still it's a crazy trend to just throw out a few of my favs and for all of them to be the whitest kids on the block. Makes sense as I grew up being the token whatever it was, white kid with my friends, not rich kid at school, white kid on my hockey team, boy with my other group of friends, but damn.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 01:48 PM
What do you have against B's!?!?!? Huh?

C cups or bigger. Whaaaaat

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 01:52 PM
C cups or bigger. Whaaaaat

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y8m29ZLX5ag/SH2H2Fg6_QI/AAAAAAAABM4/jdQsmlVWXMY/s400/TOUCHE+TURTLE+GUIDE+COVER.jpg

Rosebud
04-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Eli, Ahmad, Cruz, Nicks, Barden, Beatty, Petrus, Snee, JPP, Joseph, Boley, Webster, Kenny and Tuck are my favorite current giants. So at least I'm only half racist with football players...

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Kenny is my underrated favorite player. He's so damn good sitting back there and ball hawking. Most fans don't realize it bc what he does won't show up on TV, but man is he good.

Corey is a boss. I love DBs.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I like pretty much all of our players but I do have a tier system. I love Osi, Tuck, Jpp, and a lot of others as well. As BBD said it's easier for me to name players that I don't like and Beckum is the president of that group.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Beckum is dictator of that group.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Kenny is my underrated favorite player. He's so damn good sitting back there and ball hawking. Most fans don't realize it bc what he does won't show up on TV, but man is he good.

Corey is a boss. I love DBs.

Kenny without the knee issue would have been a top 3 S in the league by now. Yeah I said it.

Webster to me is the most underrated player on the team and nationally though. I don't think people realize how damn good he is.

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Yea I think we are just a very likeable team, only a few guys that I dislike, and they are Beckum, Greg Jones, and Clint Sintim

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Kenny without the knee issue would have been a top 3 S in the league by now. Yeah I said it.

Webster to me is the most underrated player on the team and nationally though. I don't think people realize how damn good he is.

C-Web is so underrated, dude just goes out there and does his job, and I agree with you on KP. If he stayed healthy he would be an animal! Another guy who just does work and gets the job done. So underrated.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 02:12 PM

Yeah, the amazing thing is even after the knee he's still a top 10-12 safety in the league. Most teams wish they had 1 good safety with a lot of versatility, we have 2 of them. We're very lucky to have that luxury.

As a deep FS, I don't think there many better than Kenny. Ed, and Earl Thomas are probably the only 2 safeties in the league that are better than Kenny at playing that deep single high.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Corey is a top 5 CB in this league. He's a boss.

I forgot about Sintim and Jones. Don't like those 2 either.

scottyboy
04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
i just love the funny role player white boys. I loved Feagles too of course, have jersey. Armstead is my favorite of all time and osi was but then he became all whiney and I faltered on him. I'm not sure I have a clear cut favorite

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 02:17 PM
I still love Osi. That's why I was defending him throughout the season last year. I'm going to miss Wosi's karate move after a sack. Trattou better come up with something good.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Wosi was arguably the best nickname ever.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 02:24 PM

That's fine. I am not a fan of any other sport but football. So, I don't really follow basketball. But I am a fan of giants football, and have no favorites. Helps me try to be level headed and no emotional attachments with any specific player.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Eli is the Giants, he can be your favorite!

Rosebud
04-07-2012, 02:36 PM
That's fine. I am not a fan of any other sport but football. So, I don't really follow basketball. But I am a fan of giants football, and have no favorites. Helps me try to be level headed and no emotional attachments with any specific player.

I don't get that. Just because you have guys you prefer to watch doesn't you're not level headed when discussing them. How can you watch games and not enjoying watching player X more than player Y? Whether that reason is something purely emotional like Scotty's love for Wosi and Chase or purely because of how much good the do to the team the way we all love Eli. It doesn't mean that when guys I loved are no longer the best option for the team I want the team to hold onto them just so I can go on loving them for longer, but while they're here there's certainly guys I'd rather see out there than others for a miriad of different reasons. That's having favorites.

Substitute Jay Cutler, Tim Tebow, Tom Brady, Revis, Ed Reed and Ngata in for those players I meantioned then. Those players don't play for the giants but I enjoy watching them play and after watching them play many times they've become favorites of mine.

Rosebud
04-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Wosi was arguably the best nickname ever.

I wonder if we could get them to trade us a future first round pick for Osi, you know, for the sake of the nickname.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Eli is the Giants, he can be your favorite!

Yeah, if I had one I guess it would be him. I mean I have been defending him since we drafted because I saw talent in him. So on BBI, there is a section who thought he would be a bust. So I defended him among the many that did. But I really don't have a favorite player.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
We all defended him here since Year 1 also. I don't remember any of us ever calling for his head like half of BBI. That's why this place is the best.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah, well also Giants.com MB too. I used to post there as well. So there was a fraction that thought he'd be a bust. So people would ask me for my opinion, and then from there it was people who believed in Eli vs people who didn't.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
We won and everyone is happy now so that's all that matters. It feels good to be right though. :party:

NY+Giants=NYG
04-07-2012, 04:24 PM
It does feel like fighting a war, and in the end the good guys won over the bad guys. It was a matter of firing Hufangel, and getting rid of Shockey and Tiki.

bigbluedefense
04-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Guys who thought Eli sucked really don't understand football at all.

There was a play Eli made in 07 vs the Bucs that stands out in my eyes and really made me realize the difference btw us and the casual fan. Eli did a hard count, was able to read the pass rush off the count and knew what the coverage was, and he motioned Toomer inside, hiked the ball, Toomer ran a 8 yard curl and Eli hit him for the completion.

To the naked eye, it's an 8 yard completion. But if you paid close enough attention, you realized how good of a play that was. Eli recognized the coverage and rush pre-snap, adjusted his protection, and motioned Toomer into the open hole in the zone, looked off the safety to open up the hole more, then came back and hit Toomer for 8 yards.

That's a great football play. And when I was trying to explain how great of a play it was and why it was a great play, everyone around me was like "dude, it was an 8 yard completion, big deal"

But they didn't understand what it took to get those 8 yards, and how that kind of play is key to being a franchise qb in this league, and how that kind of play is indicative of how your qb is going to be alright.

We saw Eli make those kind of plays since his rookie year. When you understand football, you know those are the kind of plays you need to see out of your qb in order to know he's going to be alright. We routinely saw it since his rookie year.

And those kind of plays are the type of plays that the casual fan doesn't understand. To them, it's just an 8 yard pass. But it's so much more than that.

What's a better play? That play Eli made, or a 8 yard quick slant where the qb does a 1 step drop, doesn't make any presnap reads, adjustment protections or anything and just blindly throws that 1 step slant for 8 yards (ala Mark Sanchez)?

Both get 8 yards, but when you understand football, you realize how different both those plays are. And when you look at the qb position from that perspective, you realize who's a legit qb and who's not.

We all knew Eli was legit. It was just a matter of time before everyone else saw it too.

LTgiants
04-07-2012, 05:03 PM
The game that always sticks out to me was the game when we beat Denver in 2005.

6ju4YB-C8yM

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Rolle's new tat
https://p.twimg.com/ApmANhnCIAEI9pL.jpg

Guy better hope he never leaves NY

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Haha even if he does leave NY that'll be hist best memory. I don't like tattoos at all but for some reason I always just wanted to get a small block NY somewhere in blue.

Also, great post BBD. I liked the knock on Sanchez also.

On edit: This is what I'm talking about.

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/7/166/full/ea3128090ktaafqne5s0.gif

OSUGiants17
04-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Haha, just noticed the tattoo makes it look like his armpit/chest is all wrinkly

Jughead10
04-07-2012, 09:23 PM

You also love Tynes you loser.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Gotta have love for the punter! Good job Steve W!

BaLLiN
04-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Q0hL3GfW_PU

im sure you will all enjoy this

bigbluedefense
04-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Saw that a couple of weeks ago. I like it just as much as the SB dvd, whoever did it did an excellent job.

OSUGiants17
04-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks for posting that, I get chills watching some of those plays

Damix
04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Just watched the whole thing, so awesome.

Also - Keith Rivers?

https://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo/statuses/190040196346150912

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Very very interesting. If it's a 5th round pick or later I'm all for it. I'm assuming he'd come in and play MLB?

Damix
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Very very interesting. If it's a 5th round pick or later I'm all for it. I'm assuming he'd come in and play MLB?

Weakside with the rumors of Boley to the middle.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
I'd heard Boley to Mike before this so that does make sense. Either could play Mike in Perry's system though so it's really not a big deal.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
getting rivers would be awesome

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Man these rumors get out of hand quickly. Some are speculating that Osi and a swap of 1st rounders might also be involved.

Forenci
04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
How has Rivers been in Cincy? I haven't really heard anything about him since he went there.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
How has Rivers been in Cincy? I haven't really heard anything about him since he went there.

OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN FOR SO LONG.

what is going on? I don't even.

Damix
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Man these rumors get out of hand quickly. Some are speculating that Osi and a swap of 1st rounders might also be involved.

I feel like that would make more sense as a draft day trade if someone we like drops.

bigbluedefense
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm lukewarm on this move. It depends on what we pay for him.

He's been mediocre in the the pros, and very injury prone. Why can't we just man up and draft a linebacker dammit! So frustrating.

I also like Williams a lot and feel this hurts his ability to get on the field and develop.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I like Williams a lot but I don't think this hurts him. We still need 3 starting LB's so moving Boley to the middle would allow us to do that. Williams coming off the bench will stay play a lot of snaps.

bigbluedefense
04-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't like Boley's fit in the middle. He's a pure OLB to me. I rather move Rivers there than Boley.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't like Boley's fit in the middle. He's a pure OLB to me. I rather move Rivers there than Boley.

In our system I think either can play there. If they have Rivers there that's fine with me. Our Mike is not that traditional.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
well it's reported it's going to happen...just gotta see for what

LTgiants
04-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I liked Keith Rivers coming out of USC so I am for this move.

bigbluedefense
04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I just hope it's for a 5th or later. I like the guy, but I feel like this is a bandaid move. I want us to develop some linebackers, and we seem to rather just do patchwork to our LB core instead.

LTgiants
04-11-2012, 12:29 PM
The guy is what 25 or 26 now? he is still young and has room to be developed more then he was as a Bengal.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Plus we still have Williams, Herz, and Paysinger. Great move from Reese if this is a 6th or 7th.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Ralph V. reporting a 5th for Rivers. I think it's a very good deal.

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Comp is a 5th (no: 167) For rivers, love it.

bigbluedefense
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I can live with that. I hope this doesn't include a contract extension though. Bc I wouldn't extend him until he proves himself.

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 01:04 PM
The guy is what 25 or 26 now? he is still young and has room to be developed more then he was as a Bengal.

26. Usually the giants waste their 5th rounder on a developmental QB anyway =P

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I can live with that. I hope this doesn't include a contract extension though. Bc I wouldn't extend him until he proves himself.

Yeah I have no problems with that. If he stays healthy we probably all of a sudden have one of the more athletic LB core in the league.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Garafolo already reporting an extension will NOT happen.

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Yeah I have no problems with that. If he stays healthy we probably all of a sudden have one of the more athletic LB core in the league.

They'll probably rework his deal because he has just over 2M cap hit as it stands, with 3M and change being our cap room. If they extend him on the cheap i don't really mind.

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Garafolo already reporting an extension will NOT happen.

where do you see this?

NY+Giants=NYG
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Ralph V. reporting a 5th for Rivers. I think it's a very good deal.

Do you have a link? I just want to read the article or what not.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Do you have a link? I just want to read the article or what not.

Sorry only on Twitter right now. BBI has the actual tweet up from Mike G. though.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh, so Ralph wrote it on twitter? Yeah, I saw the Mike G one, but didn't realize he put the potential pick up too. I thought it was a general, the deal is almost done, but details are still working out, and that whole same speech.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Oh, so Ralph wrote it on twitter? Yeah, I saw the Mike G one, but didn't realize he put the potential pick up too. I thought it was a general, the deal is almost done, but details are still working out, and that whole same speech.

Nope both have confirmed it's pretty much a done deal for the 5th.

Rosebud
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
I still want Mychal Kendricks, Sean Spence or Bobby Wagner. Although I don't mind waiting until the third round now.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't think we look LB unless there is a huge value guy on the board. We now have Kiwi, Williams, Boley, Rivers, Herz, Sintim, and Paysinger. That's some pretty good depth.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
rivers for a 5th is awesome. I'm excited for it. That comp pick cushions it as well

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
By the way Ballard also had microfracture surgery when they replaces his ACL. Can you imagine how slow he's really going to be now? His career might be done.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
yeah, that really, really sucks. he was so damn good for us last year. Pascoe needs to step up as a blocking TE for us now and Martellus needs to play well

LTgiants
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Jerry Reese seems busy today

Giants sign Sean Locklear per his Twitter account.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 02:22 PM
A little O-Line depth.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
apparently the giants told him to come in and be ready to compete for the right tackle spot. interesting

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Does the Rivers trade signify that we're moving Kiwi back to full time DE since Tolly left?

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
that's a good point Zak. We've got Williams-Boley-Rivers out there, and hopefully we bring Chase back on run downs (because the 3 others aren't great run stuffers) and make our rotation of DE's unreal with Osi-Tuck-JPP and Kiwi possibly.

and on the line, we've got Diehl-Petrus-Baas-Snee-Brewer/Locklear

who knows where we're going to look in the draft and where on the line we feel we need to improve.

Hell, with those 3 "coverage" type LBers, I think DT in the first might be a bigger possibilty, as you all were advocating and I was originally against.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
I've read that Rivers was pretty good against the run even though he was more known as a coverage guy. If so we're starting to bring in some really rounded LBs now where in the past they usually just excelled at either the run or the pass.

Jughead has probably seen Rivers play the most lately so I'm wondering what he says whenever he chimes in.

Jughead10
04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I've read that Rivers was pretty good against the run even though he was more known as a coverage guy. If so we're starting to bring in some really rounded LBs now where in the past they usually just excelled at either the run or the pass.

Jughead has probably seen Rivers play the most lately so I'm wondering what he says whenever he chimes in.

I don't watch the Ravens that much. Especially if they play at the same time as the Giants. Isn't Rivers always hurt? I know Hines Ward broke his jaw that one time. I know the Ravens play the Bengals Week 17 and I kind of half ass watched because it didn't really matter for the Ravens. Can't remember seeing them play the other time.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't watch the Ravens that much. Especially if they play at the same time as the Giants. Isn't Rivers always hurt? I know Hines Ward broke his jaw that one time. I know the Ravens play the Bengals Week 17 and I kind of half ass watched because it didn't really matter for the Ravens. Can't remember seeing them play the other time.

ugh, then what good are you to us?!?!

NY+Giants=NYG
04-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I guess we move Kiwi back to DE, and in some instances he can play LB too. But now I see him taking Tolly's spot.

So maybe:

Tuck, JPP, Osi, and Kiwi

LBs: Williams, Boley, Rivers ( if healthy)

Maybe if Mark H. or Jones step up than they play MIKE. If not, then that's a lot of speed at LB mixed with a great DL. I like that potential. Now we just have to make sure fewell doesn't do anything stupid.

LTgiants
04-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Giants sign CB Antwaun Molden

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Does the Rivers trade signify that we're moving Kiwi back to full time DE since Tolly left?

Highly, highly doubt that.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Highly, highly doubt that.

Any reasoning?

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Any reasoning?

why would they? Kiwi has performed at a pro bowl caliber level ever since the beginning of the 2010 season, he's solid against the run. Osi isn't going anywhere, they aren't going to take a solid LBer and make him into a rotational DE who is going to get 20 snaps a game there. So they sign a TE, OL and DB depth...now reese won't have to deal with as many angry fans when he drafts a high DL this year.

Giantsfan1080
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
why would they? Kiwi has performed at a pro bowl caliber level ever since the beginning of the 2010 season, he's solid against the run. Osi isn't going anywhere, they aren't going to take a solid LBer and make him into a rotational DE who is going to get 20 snaps a game there. So they sign a TE, OL and DB depth...now reese won't have to deal with as many angry fans when he drafts a high DL this year.

I wouldn't go that far about the Pro Bowl level thing. He's good against the run but he still can't cover for **** which is why he was off the field a lot during our playoff run. Even if Osi doesn't go anywhere we still love to rotate our DE's and we do our model is the 4 DE system. I didn't say it was a guarantee we did this anyway but it was something to ponder. I'd have no qualms if we still went DE early.

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't go that far about the Pro Bowl level thing. He's good against the run but he still can't cover for **** which is why he was off the field a lot during our playoff run. Even if Osi doesn't go anywhere we still love to rotate our DE's and we do our model is the 4 DE system. I didn't say it was a guarantee we did this anyway but it was something to ponder. I'd have no qualms if we still went DE early.

The only LBer on the team who consistently didn't blow coverages was boley. The start of the 2010 season kiwanuka was on fire, disrupting plays he had 4 sacks in the first 3 games, then went down with the neck issue. 2011 He still got good pressure on the QB and was great against the run, suspect coverage...but again as a giant fan i'm pretty used to that from our LBers (AP near the end of his career comes to mind). Also not to mention i doubt reese would switch a starters position like that based on the acquisition of an extremely injury prone player.

Edit: PFF rated Kiwi a +10.3 On the year 2nd on the team behind JPP +39.2, feel like you have to go beyond the numbers to really appreciate his performance.

BaLLiN
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I have no idea what to think about any of these signings.

Rivers looked great coming out of USC, haven't seen or heard of him since the hines ward jaw breaking hit. I am sure that we think he can contribute because we gave away a 5th for a player in a contract year.

Locklear has started in the past and he mustve caught our eye when we played against the skins, I think he could push for the RT spot, but I dont expect him to be a good starter.

Molden is another guy I think we probably liked because of what we saw in the matchups against them. I dont particularly remember him, but I remember sterling moore. We'll see.

I like that we are active in filling some holes before the draft, but none of these should affect our drafting IMO.

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Gotta wonder with more quality LBers if they'll reduce the amount they run the two Lber, 3 safety look

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
with the coverage skills of rivers-boley-williams and the departure/age of Grant, I wouldn't doubt it

BaLLiN
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
with the coverage skills of rivers-boley-williams and the departure/age of Grant, I wouldn't doubt it

No chance of us resigning Grant? I know he wasn't the greatest, but he was a team leader and had a veteran savvy...

Bostonblows91
04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
No chance of us resigning Grant? I know he wasn't the greatest, but he was a team leader and had a veteran savvy...

His play dropped off pretty badly from 2010-2011, i do like the whole veteran leader thing, but he has definitely lost a step...or two.

scottyboy
04-11-2012, 11:05 PM
i wouldn't rule out bringing him back. just rule out him seeing significant time if brought back

Giantsfan1080
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't see Grant returning. I think they'd like Sash to step up into that role.

Matthew Jones
04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
New York just signed Antwaun Molden. He's not good by any means but he had the physical tools to be considered a solid prospect like five years ago.

Giantsfan1080
04-12-2012, 08:28 AM
New York just signed Antwaun Molden. He's not good by any means but he had the physical tools to be considered a solid prospect like five years ago.

Yeah that went through last night. He'll compete for the dime and 5th CB spots on the team with Tryon, Coe, Witherspoon and possibly some others. Loving our depth there which is what you need in the game these days.

rickscott
04-12-2012, 10:38 AM
rivers for a 5th is awesome. I'm excited for it. That comp pick cushions it as well

As a Bengals fan, we have been greatly disappointed in Rivers since coming here as a top ten pick. You would expect an impact player and he was never much after getting knocked over by Ward. He's always injured and just is not a physical player. Maybe he'll turn around his career for you guys but here in Cincy we did not see him as coming back as a starter anyway so getting a 5th looks good to us.

scottyboy
04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the insight. Seems like a win win for both sides. You guys get a pick for someone who wasn't doing anything for you and we give up a late rounder for a guy with high upside and untapped potential.
Ps: go Brian leonard!

BaLLiN
04-12-2012, 05:07 PM
A 5th round pick is only as good as the player you can get there for your teams needs/coaching.

In my opinion this is as good as a 5th round pick with potential to be better. Other people mentioned that Rivers had top 10 talent, thats the potential part along with the way his attributes fit in our defensive scheme.

In 2008:

With his ability to cover, pursuit in the run game, and he is a decent blitzer he follows our precedence at the position. His measurements (6'2 1/2'' 241) and combine numbers (4.51 and 4.55 40 times (unofficial) 4.63 (official), 24 reps on bench).

Analysis from Scott Wright of draftcountdown.com:

Strengths:
Excellent athleticism...Great speed with a burst to close...Quick and agile...Terrific range and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Does a fantastic job in pursuit...Good frame with long arms...Motor runs non-stop and he is really active...Fluid and does a terrific job in coverage...A big hitter who can lay the lumber...Decent pass rusher and blitzer...Aggressive and plays with an attitude...Works through the trash and traffic well..Good instincts and recognition...Offers some versatility..A hard worker.

Weaknesses:
Could stand to add some weight...Needs to get stronger..More of a finesse player and is not overly physical...Plays out of control at times...Doesn't take on or shed blockers all that well...Is not stout and can be run at...Needs to keep his pad level down...A playmaker in coverage?..Goes for the knockout rather than wrapping up.

Notes:
A elite recruit coming out of high school...Wore the #55 jersey for the Trojans that was made famous by guys like Junior Seau, Willie McGinest and Chris Claiborne...A outstanding all-around linebacker who shouldn't ever have to leave the field...Has an ideal blend of natural talent, physical tools, and intangibles...Prototypical WILL.

nfl.com analysis: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/keith-rivers?id=302

fftoolbox analysis:
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1222

Current day:
He is recovering from a wrist injury he had surgery in july, has had other injuries including a broken jaw from a hit from hines ward. Overall he still excells at coverage, good in pursuit, cannot take on blockers very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o5-pjV0OxE&feature=g-u-u&context=G29ca105FUAAAAAAA vs. the jets in 2010

BaLLiN
04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_2012_free_agents_tracki.html

just realized we're bringing bruce johnson back, i like it

touchdownmaker
04-13-2012, 11:57 AM
The pre-draft analysis seems spot on regarding is ability to shed blocks, and take false steps when you look at the youtube clips.

He does have good side line to silde line speed. His tackles can be broken, and he does get swallowed up at the line. I can't see why we would have him play the SAM ever.

But I still think he improves our LB core.

Damix
04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Chase is back!

Giantsfan1080
04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
CHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTgiants
04-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Jerry Reese making power moves lol

scottyboy
04-13-2012, 06:02 PM
chase chase chase chase chase chase chase chase

Jughead10
04-13-2012, 06:11 PM
He still has to make the team. I hope someone like Jones or Herzlich don't make it over him only because they are younger.

BigBlueNorwegian
04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Good to have Blackburn back. But I'm honestly not sure if I'm more happy for Chase, the Giants or scotty. Probably you Scotty! The team forum is much more enjoyable when you're in a good mood :)

OSUGiants17
04-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Game. Set. Match. Repeat is a lock now!

OSUGiants17
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
He still has to make the team. I hope someone like Jones or Herzlich don't make it over him only because they are younger.

Jones or Paysinger will not make it over him